I have a 1952 (titled 1951) Chevy 1/2 ton. It is missing all/most of the parking/emergency brake components (Under the truck. Foot lever, release handle, etc are in the cab). In my 1951 Truck manual (that has a 1952 supplement), it indicates that the parking brake connects to the rear wheels only. In doing some searching of similar questions, I have seen diagrams showing cables etc running to the front and rear. My truck has a bar that runs through the frame with a linkage point in the center (that I am assuming would run to the pedal) and two linkages on each end that would run to each rear drum. My question is, am I correct in assuming that the parking brake only operates the rear wheels on this truck? If so, what parts am I going to need to get it operational. Lastly, how "effective" are these brakes? I currently have no hydraulic brakes at the moment. I would like to get the parking brake working so that I can move the truck in and out of the garage. Also wanting to know in the event of hydraulic brake failure, how effective would the parking brake be in stopping the truck moving at 35-45 mph?

Thanks!


Ron and Ryan Hill
1952 Chevy 3100