Hi
I am converting over to a dual master cylinder on a 1st series 1954, 1/2 ton truck. It will stay all drums. I purchased an adaptor fitting from Ecklers and made by Classic Performance (4756MCA). I have not installed it yet. The adaptor, which looks nothing at all like the one in Ecklers Catalog, mounts the new master cylinder back about 6 or 7" aft of the original location. It will be impossible to check and fill the new MC through the old access hole in the cab floor. It also looks like a real POA to get the retainer screw off the MC cap to check or fill. I called Classic Performance and only get a message that they are having a "high call volumes" and to leave a message. Eckler says the part should fit.
Questions:
Will this install really require another hole in the floor to get access? If so it gets returned.
Is there another fitting available which allows access through the original floor hole?
Does anyone know why the MC gets pushed this far aft? I have been an engineer for 30 years and I can't see an obvious reason. It looks like there should be plenty of room to mount it very close the original location.
Am I missing something obvious? The installation instructions from Classic seem pretty clear. The linkage looks like it will fit (eyeball). It just seems like a horrible design for access.
Anyway, If someone has been through this before I would like to hear from you.
Thanks
John