Hello. Newbie here. Just bought a 1952 3100 a couple of weeks ago. Hasn't run in years. Has been converted to 12 volt. Battery that was in the truck was from 2002, and corroded pretty bad.

We (son and I) removed the old one, cleaned up the connectors and attempted to connect the new battery.

Now, before proceeding, when we disconnected the old battery, the "red" cables were on the negative side of the battery and the black on the positive. Thought that odd, but just assumed someone wasn't paying attention and since the battery was dead, nothing came of it.

Of course, using what little mechanical skill I have, I connected red to positive and black to negative. This was soon followed by a sparking sound somewhere in the engine bay accompanied by smoking wires in several places. I quickly disconnected the battery.

So, what damage did I do? Assuming that black should have been positive and red negative, was this just an error in how the truck was wired during the conversion? I'll post some pics of the battery, etc in the morning when there is more light.

Thanks in advance.

Ron


Ron and Ryan Hill
1952 Chevy 3100