I had a very productive weekend in the garage. The weather was beautiful and I got a lot accomplished. It's funny how you assume something doesn't work without really trying it. Since the weather turned really cold, I've been moaning that I didn't have heat in the Burb. I got the bright idea this weekend to really test the heater. All I had to do was put some power to it. Fan spins like a top. Turns out the original switch was toast. I dropped by Jim Carters for a replacement. It is on back-order. I stopped by a FLAPS and picked up a simple on/off switch. Works great. When I get the adjustable switch in from JC, I'll just swap it out. I'll never break a sweat in the big old Burb, but it really takes the edge off when its cold out.

I also replaced the wiring harness for the dome light. The old wiring had melted in the middle of the A pillar. Put in the new wiring and a new bulb it works great. I also picked up a second complete dome light assembly and wired it in on one of the bows farther back. Now I have two overhead lights that work!

Last thing I decided to tackle was the radio. I had removed it when I replaced the vacuum wipers with an electric unit. It had been sitting on a shelf in the garage for about a year. I attached power and a ground to it and it lit right up. I found out that the speaker over the mirror was shot so I grabbed a replacement from JC. I validated the wiring and the functionality of the speaker. There is an issue with the radio itself. The tuner seems to go in and out. After the unit warms up I can get a station and descent sound out of it. Problem is the signal just cuts out. Sometimes it will come back, sometimes not. I'm going to post a message on the radio forum and see what they have to say over there.

All in all it was a great weekend. I've got a working fuel gauge, heater, and dome light. With a little work I hope to have a functional radio.

Now if I could just solve that persistent carb problem I'd be all set. That is a post for the engine forum. :-)

Hooah!!!


Thanks

Larry