1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton AK
From Thad :
It started in the summer of 2011 when my Father-in-law asked if I wanted to help build / restore an old truck. It was a local truck for as long as I remember. My FIL drove by in town one day when he spotted it for sale.
I have always been the do-it-myself type (for the most part). So even sight unseen, I said "Yes."
The photo here is what I first saw when the truck was brought over. It definitely needed some TLC. There are more pictures in the Photobucket album, of the progress and a few key moments in the process.
We decided to turn it into a street rod. I knew what they looked like (when done) but I did not really know what that meant at the time as far as how to get there.
Decisions, decisions. Being an engineer by trade, that meant research, research, and more research.
As we started the process, a few things were revealed about why THIS truck:
Don had a 1941 Chevy automobile. Hence the 1941 (not sure how the jump was made from car to truck).
That engine ... as a kid, Don had a GM car with a peppy little small block Chevy (SBC) 327. "If we are going to build a V8, then it needs to be a 327." Another learning moment: I did not realize that the 327 was made for only a few short years in the 1960's. Finding one to build was not hard but not easy either.
We have a 1964 SBC 327, 0.040 over, 9.5:1 compression ratio, 270 H comp cam, full MSD ignition. There is a video of it running on Photobucket.
We also decided on a TH350 tranny so no overdrive for this truck.
The rear axle is from a 1993 Ford Explorer. It was a perfect fit with Explorer springs and fabricated brackets, etc. (oddly a 3.27:1 ratio).
The front axle is a TCI IFS (Mustang II type).
Side note: the painted logo on the door is from a local (Idaho) electrical contractor. The funny thing is I know a contractor who says his Dad use to drive that truck when he worked for that company -- small world.
I doubt that the door will get restored. (Someone suggested restoring the original art work for the electrical contractor ~ Editor)
We now have a different cab (the original was a rust bucket), grille and running boards. We are working on the steering column, floorboard / toeboard, shift linkage, seat belts, etc. at this time.
With a nearly two years of work behind us, it has been very much of a learning experience so far. I am sure the learning is just beginning.
Thanks for looking and I hope to keep this updated in the DITY forum thread and in the Photobucket album as we move forward.
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-ya Shop