The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (TS3600, 55shaker), 86 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,140
Posts1,056,467
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
Originally Posted by cmayna
Back to the subject thumbs_up........the more I study both JW51's pics as well as Otto's, to me one could consider tweaking the lower filler neck angle by shoving a large diameter wooden rod into the lower filler neck and persuade the neck more towards the side. This though, would mean removing the tank for there would be no room for a large wooden rod to be inserted while the tank was in truck. Maybe someone has another idea. Think I'll look at my lower filler neck angle tomorrow.

Persuade both….downward?

I’ve had similar thoughts, and I think the vent tube would submit fairly easy. The main fill tube might not move without some fairly brutal treatment.


1951 3100
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
You’d have to delete the strap that ties the inlet and vent tube together, but I wonder if a conduit bender would fit on it.

Honestly, I think could make it work just being the vent tube and having some longer, more flexible hoses.


1951 3100
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
I found a pic of Waveski's tank showing the angle of the lower filler neck. Really like the idea of insulating the tank.
Attachments
WaveskiTank.jpg (48.61 KB, 98 downloads)


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
I’m gonna get back on this issue some evening this week.

In studying pictures more closely, I think I may have figured out what happened here. If you look at my tank, the area where the two pipes emerge is recessed. That recess does not exist on either Otto or Waveski’s pictures. I think this thing got dropped or otherwise impacted at the factory or in shipping. That creates the recessed area, and altered the angle of the fill and vent tube.

I think I can make this “good enough” without removing tank and major surgery. Probably can’t do much with the larger tubes angle. That might have to be made up with a little shortening of the neck itself and some longer hose. Vent tube could probably be persuaded a bit.

For those of you that have a good-fitting tank…would you say the fill tube points more or less straight at the cab opening? I just need a little point of reference as to what proper fit looks like.

Last edited by JW51; 07/25/2023 8:47 PM.

1951 3100
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,502
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,502
Yes, "more or less" might get it. The filler feels like it has a compound angle bend to it...At the top heading down maybe 8 inches or so down from where the gas cap fits it is straight and then it angles into a bend and then that bend seems to twist a bit before it would connect with the gas tank. I don't know if that makes sense but it feels like one notable bend and a minor correcting (twisting) bend happens.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
Originally Posted by Jon G
Yes, "more or less" might get it. The filler feels like it has a compound angle bend to it...At the top heading down maybe 8 inches or so down from where the gas cap fits it is straight and then it angles into a bend and then that bend seems to twist a bit before it would connect with the gas tank. I don't know if that makes sense but it feels like one notable bend and a minor correcting (twisting) bend happens.

Yes, I think you’re right.


1951 3100
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0