The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Time to gathering together!
Fall Happenings
That time of year with some last chances to get together in bunches. Time to check out:
THE SIDE LOT
From Coast to Coast and some International gatherings listed, too.

Next up: the ODSS gathers this week (Sept 22-24) at a yearly ATHS show in Winchester VA.

Since we put up this promo last week, a bunch of new postings of Swap Meets, Cruisin's, and more
in the SIDE LOT.
See what's happening with a Stovebolt Collective near you
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (coilover, Peggy M, Eureka Jim), 83 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics129,094
Posts1,046,667
Members46,191
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1252333 Wed Jan 24 2018 08:43 PM
T
New Guy
I'm working on a clutch replacement and the pilot bearing in the clutch kit appears to be bigger than the old one. The old one is cracked and bad shape, it measures 1.04 O.D. and the new one measures 1.09. It appears that a standard size was used for many years, but the new one doesn't want to go in, do I just need a bigger hammer? I'm not sure how tight of a fit it should be.

For further info if needed, I've got a 235 out of a 53' Bel air in a 46' 1/2 ton with a 3 speed. Thanks for any insight.

M
Shop Shark
Did your '53 235 come out of a Belair with a Powerglide?

If so, the '53 235 car engine with a Powerglide did not come with a pilot bushing. The crank for that particular year engine with the Powerglide is an oddball in that it is the only year/tranny combo for a later model 235 that will not accept a 'normal' pilot bushing. The good news is that the crank will accept the slightly-smaller-than-normal pilot bushing that has the correct ID for a manual transmission input shaft. They are available, just takes some research. I picked one up a few months ago at either Autozone or O'reilly, not sure which one. I think it was a Dorman part number. I'll see if I can find the number.

Matt

M
Shop Shark
Dorman 690034

Bubba - Curmudgeon
That is it, Maybellene

Inside Diameter (in): 0.593 In.
Outside Diameter (In): 1.06 In.

1950-1967 Powerglide-equipped Chevrolets

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-18310-690-034.aspx

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
T
New Guy
Yes, it is a power glide. I knew something wasn’t adding up. Thanks for the info, it saved me a bit of research, now I don’t have to go looking at the O.D. of all the different options out there and can get back to work. Thanks!

T
New Guy
Ok gentlemen, the dorman 690-034 is still too big. Does it need a little persuasion? Are there other options or does it need machined?

Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Put it in the freezer for a few hours and try it again.🛠

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop