1946 Chevy 1.5-Ton 4 x 4
01 November 2005
Well I finally got all the bugs worked out on my '46 and have been driving it daily now for the last six weeks.
I ended up going with a brand new Chevy 350 crate engine after having numerous problems with a couple of rebuilt engines. The last thing you want to do is be pulling the engine apart after the truck has been painted, which I had to do five times by no fault of my own.
I have just a few minor things to do now, such as kick panels and change a few screws when I can find something suitable.
The truck was two years in the making, which isn't bad for all the mods that were done. The many hours of sanding are starting to fade and I enjoy it every time I hop in the truck and go for a cruise. Plus this is still a work truck as I am using it for my roofing business. So don't be surprised when you see it coming down the road with a 40 foot ladder strapped to the back.
Thanks to every one on the forums that helped me out when I couldn't remember how to put it back together. Plus thank you to all the Stovebolt staff for letting us share our passions with all the other Bolters out there.
Bolter # 3504
21 April 2005
Well, we got some color sprayed last night and still have the clear coat to go on. Here are some pictures.
I made up the color myself. I just wanted to show you so you got the idea of the process. There are three coats of base with five coats of orange glow over top. The interior pieces will get two coats of clear with the exterior getting four coats of clear.
The base color is a metallic color with pearl and the orange glow that goes on top is basically clear coat with orange dye. The goldish color is just what happens when the light hits it, so it should be easy to see coming down the road on a sunny day.
Thanks again for the updated gallery write up.
Bolter # 3504
Stu's got some more pictures of the colors, pieces -- feel free to contact him. I know he'll be glad to share!! ~~ Editor
06 April 2005
Here are some pictures of the progress that I have made in the last year and a half since purchasing my truck.
Since I have owned the truck, I have swapped the diffs from 456's to 410's. The frame was cleaned and painted. All of the brakes have been redone and have replaced bearings, bushings, tie rod ends, shocks, etc. Once this was done, it came time to reconfigure the cab mounts as the old one's were kind of hookie. After many times assembling and disassembling, I finally got things to line up.
At this point it was time to take the body parts to be stripped. While this was being done, it was time to find someone to do the body work and for me to painstakingly strip the cab with Tal Strip. What a toxic mess.
As luck would have it, I ran into an old friend from school that has his own body shop and specializes in restorations. Well with a few rust problems fixed in the usual spots, I had to make a decision what to do about the fenders as the '76 1.25-ton 4 x 4 frame I am using is wider and the tires were sticking about five inches outside of the fenders.
Well out came the grinder with a cut off wheel. We cut the fenders down the middle and added four inches to each side. In turn the running boards were also widened using the original vertical piece and completely rebuilding the rest.
The dash insert (left) is a solid piece of aluminum I had custom made by Nickel Machine and Tools (2513 Alberta Road, Centerville GA 31028) to fit the curve of the dash exactly. (He is a really nice guy to deal with.) It has TPI Tech gauges.
Since the metal work has been done, I have been spending many days water sanding. I can't believe how many nooks and crannies there are. The cab has been sound deadend and insulated and just about everything is in finishing primer and we should be squirting some color (electric orange - metallic base with a orange glow top coat) soon.
In between all this, I stripped down my '84 Chevy for the 350 4-bolt, air conditioning unit to go along with the Vintage Air unit I purchased, the wiring harness, tilt steering column and propane system. I have had the engine, transmission and 205 transfer case rebuilt and I have reinstalled them. I have also taken in my grille and door handles in to be rechromed.
I'm so close now I can almost taste it!
Thanks again to the Stovebolt Staff for such an informative web site.
a/k/a "Stuart 989"
20 September 03
Here are a few pictures of my latest purchase. It is a 1946 Chevy 1.5-ton mounted on a 1976 5/4-ton government issue 4 x 4 frame. The drive train has 105,000.00 km (approximately 60,000 miles) on it. The gears are 4.56's which I plan on changing to 4.10's with a taller profile tire to give me better highway speeds as I plan on using it as my daily driver.
I own a 1985 Chevy which I will be stripping down to take advantage of my 350 4-bolt main (built for propane), my two 100 liter tanks, tilt and cruise control steering column, wiring harness and AC.
I plan on painting the truck a dark cherry red with black fenders.
I will send in new pictures as things progress.
Thank you for posting my profiles on your awesome web site
Stuart also has a 1940 3/4-ton GMC ~~ Curator
|No parts of this site, its contents, photos or graphics may be used without permission.||