The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (19593G, Bill Marlow, Justhorsenround, DennisM, FLOregonian, Johnny N), 144 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,714
Posts1,006,625
Members45,013
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Tech tip for review
#837008 Tue Mar 20 2012 08:29 PM
T
The Ned Offline OP
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Below is a new tech tip submitted by Michael "Gibsonflatpicker"Groves. Please review and comment as may be needed.

Removing a headlight switch is such a minor thingÖ right? This is true if youíre an experience bolter, but to a noob, itís not exactly intuitive. Thereís a little secret that once you figure it out makes you say ďduh, that wasnít so hard.Ē

For those of you who have been scratching your head and still havenít discovered how itís done, hereís the scoop. This approach is used on virtually all cars and trucks utilizing the pull type of headlight switch.

First, as anytime youíre doing electrical work, disconnect the battery. On many of the old switches the connectors are not insulated and shorting one out can mean burning insulation, sparks and in worst case scenarios, you could inadvertently set your vehicle afire.

Now reach under the dash and feel the underside of the switch (the side opposite the connectors) and find the small button shown in the picture. Then pull the headlight switch to the on position. Once itís in the on position, depress the button and you can now remove the knob and stem by pulling it out of the switch. Picture

Once the the knob and stem has been removed, you can unscrew the threaded bezel and then the switch will be free and can be easily removed. Picture

When reinstalling the switch, the knob and stem should slide right in, if not, simply depress the button while gently pushing the knob in and youíre done.

Last edited by The Ned; Tue Mar 20 2012 11:52 PM.
Re: New Tech tip for review
The Ned #837037 Tue Mar 20 2012 09:59 PM
F
Shop Shark
first paragraph - last "you" should be "out"?
third paragraph - extra "in" before inadvertently.
fourth paragraph - some switches must be turned all the way one way or the other before they will release. For example my 53 has to be turned to the left (brightest dash lights position).

Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
1953 Chevrolet 3600
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Caution: Political Statement

Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
FriedGreenTmater #837053 Tue Mar 20 2012 10:35 PM
T
The Ned Offline OP
Thanks Vern. I'll update the tip...

The Ned #837056 Tue Mar 20 2012 11:03 PM
F
Shop Shark
grin now "our" should be "out"?

Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
1953 Chevrolet 3600
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Caution: Political Statement

Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
FriedGreenTmater #837067 Tue Mar 20 2012 11:53 PM
T
The Ned Offline OP
Thanks again... thank goodness Peg proof reads these things before publishing. smile

The Ned #837192 Wed Mar 21 2012 06:01 AM
Extreme Gabster
You now have at least 3 threads with the same title. How about putting some clue to the subject matter in the title so we'll know if we've looked at that one before?

"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
My TRUCKS website
Cletis #837201 Wed Mar 21 2012 07:43 AM
T
The Ned Offline OP
I was thinking the same thing cletis. I'll try to make the titles more discriptive in the future. Either way it shouldn't be much of an issue once I burn down the backlog.

The Ned #837388 Wed Mar 21 2012 10:25 PM
P
New Guy
Maybe an addition to the tip you've given: What do you do when you press so hard that it leave a big "dent" in your finger and the button still won't go down? One trick I've used is to tape a dime to my finger. It gives you a nice surface that you can really push!!

persh #837426 Wed Mar 21 2012 11:50 PM
T
The Ned Offline OP
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

The Ned #837485 Thu Mar 22 2012 02:08 AM
R
Shop Shark
You may want to identify that it is a spring loaded button and if possible show a side view of the switch.
And yes this is a needed tip, thanks. I remember destroying a dash on an old car the first time I tried to remove one of these switches.

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop