The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Stovebolt Supporter!
Indianapolis

Fabrications

Talk to Randy Domeck

See what they

can do

for you
!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Dan R., chuck2213, jockbolter50), 428 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics106,662
Posts834,140
Members39,825
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
Blast, Dan1945GMC, DANTHECHEVYMAN, Devin bloodorth, Devin c Bloodworth, DOOG, FyrFyterHauss, hotterbrat1, Jeff Riggins, Jeffs65GMC, sweeteddie
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#748083 - Wed May 18 2011 09:00 PM Accelerator pump problem Edelbrock 1405 1898  
Barsteel  Offline
Shop Shark
Monroe, CT
Hello!

My '59 Apache has a 1970 350/300hp in it, a stock 4bbl intake manifold, and an Edelbrock 1405 1898 4bbl carb on it. When I got the truck, it was very hard to start and it stumbled when I accelerated. I found that the accelerator pump was not working...no shot of gas down the carb when you flicked the throttle. If I poured a shot of gas down the carb, the engine fired right up.

So...I replaced the accelerator pump plunger (along with the air horn gasket). The old plunger looked a bit cockeyed, so I figured that that was the problem.

Reinstalled the carb, same problem. Still no shot of gas down the carb.

I have no experience with Edelbrock carbs, so what else could be the problem? A schematic shows that there is a weight and spring in the accelerator pump circuit. Could this have gotten gummed up or ?

I'd appreciate any help on this one.

Thanks...

Chris

#748174 - Thu May 19 2011 04:06 AM Re: Accelerator pump problem Edelbrock 1405 1898 [Re: Barsteel]  
gotgasd  Offline
Shop Shark
Nanaimo Vancouver Island
There's a check ball in the discharge line from the pump well into the carb. They get gummed up and stuck in place.
There should be a threaded plug in the front of the float bowl that you unscrew for access. Sometimes need a small screwdriver to dislodge it.

#748566 - Fri May 20 2011 06:54 PM Re: Accelerator pump problem Edelbrock 1405 1898 [Re: gotgasd]  
Z71Chevy  Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Ohio,USA
Barsteel,have you checked your timing?I just put a 600cfm Edelbrock on my truck,it hesitated when I kicked it in to passing gear. I turned the distributor counter clockwise,just a little,and took it for a spin,cured my problem. We were going to check the timing,but just that little adjustment with the distributor cured the problem. Good Luck,and have a great weekend.

#748639 - Sat May 21 2011 01:45 AM Re: Accelerator pump problem Edelbrock 1405 1898 [Re: Z71Chevy]  
Barsteel  Offline
Shop Shark
Monroe, CT
Z -

Not yet, a full tuneup is the next project.

Pulled the air horn, then removed the small cap that holds the discharge jets for the accelerator pump, pulled out the weight and check ball. Then blasted the carb body out with carb clean then compressed air. Shot a wad of crap out of the accelerator pump passage whilst doing so. Reassembled and installed. Problem solved...nice strong jet of fuel, no stumble or bucking during acceleration.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

Moderated by  53moneypit, Woogeroo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->