The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Stovebolt Supporter!
Indianapolis

Fabrications

Talk to Randy Domeck

See what they

can do

for you
!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (miraclepieco, mtn. man, tomctomc, carryall jerry), 363 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics111,394
Posts877,098
Members40,790
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
the difference tire truing can make #745535
Sun May 08 2011 03:46 AM
Sun May 08 2011 03:46 AM
D
Dave Langford  Offline OP
New Guy
St. Mary's County, MD
I enjoy old GMC and Dodge trucks. Currently I have a '52 power wagon I just finished restoring.
I have had a problem with vibration and the sensation of a slight hopping effect ever since my resto was done when driving on the road. Off road I do not notice it. I have 9 X 16 bias Power Kings mounted on the stock Budd wheels. They have an aggressive lug pattern.
The vibration and shaking seemed to be noticed especially above 25 mph, and was present after they were hot and the flat spot gone.
After researching this, I took the power wagon to a place over in Easton, Maryland (Elliott-Wilson Trucks) that had a tire lathe. They found I had about 1/4" run out with the tires on average. The picture is of the mechanic with the tire lathe or truer in action . After this was done he was able to balance things without difficulty.
A considerable improvement was noticed in the ride immediately afterword. http://photos.imageevent.com/share/powerwagonrestoration/icons/IMG_4832.JPG

S.A.R. member, Thomas Stone chapter, southern Maryland

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
Mark Twain
Re: the difference tire truing can make [Re: Dave Langford] #745542
Sun May 08 2011 04:10 AM
Sun May 08 2011 04:10 AM
S
squeeze  Offline
Master Gabster
Vancouver Island
Dave - back in the 60's when bias ply were the norm and belted tires were just appearing, a lot of shops had that same machine - yes, it does make a real difference and you were lucky to find someone that had that retro-tech, getting pretty rare now

Bill

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Re: the difference tire truing can make [Re: squeeze] #745628
Sun May 08 2011 01:40 PM
Sun May 08 2011 01:40 PM
C
Czechman  Offline
Shop Shark
Raleigh, NC
I worked at a custom shop back in Detroit in the early 70s and had to do this any time a customer wanted wire wheels on their pimpmobile. I often wonder about what happened when it came time for a tire change. HA!

Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Re: the difference tire truing can make [Re: Czechman] #745641
Sun May 08 2011 02:52 PM
Sun May 08 2011 02:52 PM
W
Wrenchbender Ret.  Offline
Master Gabster
Lenexa Ks.
Several years ago I tried to find someone in the KC area to do this & never could.

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1956 Chevy 1/2-Ton Pickup

Re: the difference tire truing can make [Re: Wrenchbender Ret.] #745689
Sun May 08 2011 05:40 PM
Sun May 08 2011 05:40 PM
D
New Guy
St. Mary's County, MD
check this out:
http://www.tsissg.com/711-amermac-tire-truer

This is the company that makes the truer. They also have a video you can click on at this link showing how it works that is very interesting. They are doing a modern radial tire on it.
I called the company and they gave me a list of the shops that had the truer in my state.
Then I called a few and found the place I mentioned.
Dave

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
Mark Twain
Re: the difference tire truing can make [Re: Dave Langford] #745691
Sun May 08 2011 05:45 PM
Sun May 08 2011 05:45 PM
D
New Guy
St. Mary's County, MD
Actually, see the link below as this is the model of the company's truer that works with the wheel and tire mounted on the vehcile. I have heard this is the better way, rather than off the vehcile.

http://www.tsissg.com/amermac-tire-truers-balancer/405-w-porta-trues

Mark Twain
Re: the difference tire truing can make [Re: Dave Langford] #745771
Mon May 09 2011 01:19 AM
Mon May 09 2011 01:19 AM
D
Denny Graham  Offline
Extreme Gabster
Sandwich, IL
Dave I've been thru hundreds of dollars worth of ballancing and tire rotation on the rims and three sets of tires because of the hopping at 35-45 mph. Same tires as you seem to have, Power King bias plys.
Think you could please post that list so we can all see it? I'd be willing to give that a try.

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Re: the difference tire truing can make [Re: Denny Graham] #745805
Mon May 09 2011 02:36 AM
Mon May 09 2011 02:36 AM
T
TDuffy  Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Cadillac,Michigan
Had a simular experience with tire balanceing on my wifes 88 mustang. Had paid the big dollar computer balance job and still bad. Was ready to get new rims when a friend said he got tired of the tire problems and bought a on-the car tire balancer like he used in High schools days and the local gas station. He balanced the tire, used 1/2 The weights and now rides nice. He also went online and found a shop in Michigan that shaves the tires for roundness and his problems are totally over.

Re: the difference tire truing can make [Re: TDuffy] #745812
Mon May 09 2011 02:47 AM
Mon May 09 2011 02:47 AM
L
LONGBOX55  Offline
Master Gabster
DANVILLE IL
Originally Posted By TDuffy
Had paid the big dollar computer balance job and still bad.

The balance job will only be as good as the operator of the equipment. A tire can come up as "balanced" on the machine, but if the weights aren't in the right spot, you'll still get a static vibration. Took a customer away from Wal-Mart for that very thing. Weights everywhere on the wheel, showed "balanced" on their machine. I put it on mine (Hunter Road Force), it showed 1.5 to 3 ounces off. Customer had me rebalnce them after Wal-Mart couldn't do it right or refund him the money. When i was done, smooth as could be.
Now, if a tire/wheel assemblt is not true round, no amount of balancing will correct it. Only correcting the out of round situation will fix the problem. Most shops do not true tires anymore, we haven't done it since about 18 years ago, as most modern tires tend not to be out of round.

Bill Burmeister
Re: the difference tire truing can make [Re: LONGBOX55] #745869
Mon May 09 2011 01:40 PM
Mon May 09 2011 01:40 PM
W
WE b OLD  Offline
Master Gabster
marion, in. usa
I have what i call a waggle at highway speeds. if you watch a nature show about bees you will see what i mean. at speed it seems to wiggle back a forth. in town and at lower speeds nothing. maybe that is the solution. thanks for posting. Ron

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2015 GMC terrain.
Pix on Photobucket
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop