The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Stovebolt Supporter!
Indianapolis

Fabrications

Talk to Randy Domeck

See what they

can do

for you
!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online Now
36 registered members (carbking, 32vld, bwilliams, CenCal53, carryall jerry, 2 invisible), 529 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics106,686
Posts834,308
Members39,828
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
49chevy454, 61lorrie, Frantz, junebug909, Mark H, yllw1964
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#676787 - Thu Sep 09 2010 01:15 AM Electric choke for old Quadrajet?  
Roadmarks  Offline
Shop Shark
Raleigh NC USA
Does anyone have any experience with an electric choke kit for the old coil in manifold style Quadrajets? What kit did you use? How dependable is it? Information, etc?
Also, don't bother telling me to dump my Quadrajets and get a real carb! In my book, nothing runs like a Qjet on an SBC!

Thanks and best wishes,

Les

#676854 - Thu Sep 09 2010 03:56 AM Re: Electric choke for old Quadrajet? [Re: Roadmarks]  
webstershotrods  Offline
Shop Shark
Temple ,TX

Stovebolt Gallery
1952 Chevy 3100
1953 Chevy 4400
1965 Nova
Pics on Photobucket

#676947 - Fri Sep 10 2010 11:22 PM Re: Electric choke for old Quadrajet? [Re: webstershotrods]  
Wrenchbender Ret.  Offline
Master Gabster
Lenexa Ks.
I put Q-jet's on everything of mine. I use the later model with the round choke on the side.If it doesn't have electric on it it is easy to change the coil to an elec. heated one. These carbs are a dime dozen at the swap meets.

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1956 Chevy 1/2-Ton Pickup

#677087 - Sat Sep 11 2010 03:27 PM Re: Electric choke for old Quadrajet? [Re: Wrenchbender Ret.]  
Joe H  Offline
Shop Shark
Lee's Summit Mo. 64086
Not sure about the "in manifold type" but the round ones on the side of the late model type work great. Just power them up and go. Never had a problem yet with one. Most of the time you can swap the whole choke system over to the older type carbs.

Joe

#677324 - Sun Sep 12 2010 02:32 PM Re: Electric choke for old Quadrajet? [Re: Roadmarks]  
Hotrod Lincoln  Online
Extreme Gabster
Dellrose, TN
Why mess with something that works? The manifold-heated choke is fully mechanical. Just bolt in a new coil assembly and set the linkage right. The only function of the electricity is to heat the coil and make the choke release, so with the choke coil in the heat riser passage in the manifold there's no reason for electric heat. If you're going with an aftermarket manifold without the choke well, just switch to a Q-Jet with the round choke housing integral with the carb, and install an electric-heated choke cover. You'll have to grind off a locating tab on the cover to make it adjustable, and install an oil pressure switch to keep it from heating and releasing the choke with the engine cold if it stalls.

You're right about the Q Jet being the best-engineered street carb available. Holleys are for race cars!
Jerry

Who says I live in a rough neighborhood- - - - -?
Just because I'm a tail gunner on a beer truck, maybe?

"He ain't even got a noddin' acquaintance with the truth- - -let alone a speakin' one!"

#677411 - Sun Sep 12 2010 07:52 PM Re: Electric choke for old Quadrajet? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln]  
Roadmarks  Offline
Shop Shark
Raleigh NC USA
Guys,

Thanks for the replys! My problem is I have an original and fully rebuilt 704 series Qjet from a 1972 C10. It used a heated element that sat in the intake manifold and worked the choke butterflys via linkage. The electric choke that I'm talking about is an after market type that bolts to the carb and has a sensor that bolts to the intake.
This would all be simpler, but the ProComp dual plane intake that I have doesn't have a place for the original type choke coil.
If it ain't one thing, its another!

best wishes,

Les

#677423 - Sun Sep 12 2010 08:32 PM Re: Electric choke for old Quadrajet? [Re: Roadmarks]  
Wrenchbender Ret.  Offline
Master Gabster
Lenexa Ks.
Thats why we use the round choke models. The intakes & carbs have been so scrambled up through the years that generally they dont match.

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1956 Chevy 1/2-Ton Pickup

#678589 - Sat Sep 18 2010 01:27 PM Re: Electric choke for old Quadrajet? [Re: Wrenchbender Ret.]  
carbking  Online
Shop Shark
Missouri

Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify
If you truly believe "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->