The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Happy New Year

A New Year
A New Decade
A New Vision

Ring in the new with some quality time with your old truck! A great time to tackle a winter project. If you do not have access to your truck, start your parts list for spring!
The days are officially getting longer now, you know!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (ApacheFiend, tom moore, coilover, sstock), 688 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,092
Posts935,526
Members42,776
Most Online1,164
Jan 20th, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1959 Chevrolet Viking 60 Series. #638624 Sun Apr 18 2010 02:28 AM
A
Adam4t Offline OP
New Guy
Hello! I have a seperate thread about this on AACA Restoration Projects and I don't want to post whole new pictures so I'll link to that page and you can comment here. No problems?

1959 Chevrolet Viking 60 Series Pictures and others on AACA

Well in a nutshell it's an old PG&E truck which is what the winch and boom is for on the back. It's old and rusted so it's a big project, not only in size.

I'm waiting on a Parts Manual and then hopefully I'll slowly be making progress as I make more money. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Adam4t; Thu Apr 22 2010 05:14 AM.
Re: 1958 Chevrolet Viking 60 Series. [Re: Adam4t] #638703 Sun Apr 18 2010 09:28 AM
M
Mike B Offline
Shop Shark
Welcome to the Big Bolt Group!

I don't see that anyone decoded your vin number for you so I will...

6B59O104699

6B = 6400 Series (156.5" wheelbase)
59 = 1959
O = Oakland Assembly Plant
104699 = Unit number from Oakland Plant starting with 100001

Looks like your 1958 is really a 1959...

Your truck should have the 261 cu. in, 6 cyl motor with the SM-420 transmission.

If you have 20" tires, DO NOT PUT AIR IN THEM until you have identified what type of rim you have. If they are two-piece with the center lock band they are dangerous. If they are 3-piece they can be services, put find someone that has experience with truck tires check them first. Many people have been killed by the old rusty rims flying apart when they are aired up. Just be safe.

Mike B smile

Re: 1958 Chevrolet Viking 60 Series. [Re: Mike B] #639243 Tue Apr 20 2010 04:17 AM
A
Adam4t Offline OP
New Guy
Hmm... do I feel stupid. I was just basing it off of what I was told, since I couldn't decode it myself. Thank you very much, now I have a little bit more information. :]

No worries, because I won't even be trying to air these tires up because their shredded. My dad's buddy is manager of Tire World in our town so eventually when I get it started I'll have him come out and put 6 new tires on it, if and when I have the money. And thanks for the info though, because that wouldn't be very good if I was killed by a rim.

I'll try to keep posting as often as I get on the computer and do work because we have a Spring Fair coming up so I don't think I'll be doing much until afterwards.

Thanks again!

-Adam

Re: 1958 Chevrolet Viking 60 Series. [Re: Adam4t] #639839 Thu Apr 22 2010 10:41 AM
F
Freq2002 Offline
Shop Shark
Welcome to the bolt. smile

Once you get the beast where you're gonna be workin on it you should think about jacking it up and puting it on stands, then remove those wheels. Gonna have to pull em to do your brake work anyway, may as well get it over with now.
Bennefit there is you can look at them, see if any are cracked, clean the up with a wire wheel and paint em up, all pretty cheap things to do. I think it cost me 3 4" wire wheels for my angle grinder, 2 cans of primer, & 4 cans of gloss white to do mine. Another bennefit is being able to have a tire/wheel pro look the rims over to really make sure they are still servicable.
Also, FYI, tubes and tires are gonna run you around $1100.

Brakes, do I feel your pain here. I have an almost completely new system in Tater. The only items I did not replace were the drums, shoes, and rear slaves. With the age of that beast I'm just gonna guess you'll be in the same boat. Get the wheels and drums off and have at it. Brakes are a great place to start because moving can be optional, stopping should always be mandatory!
The big dollar (& hard to get) item will be the HydroVac booster, most of the rest of the parts can be found here & there for a reasonable amount.

Seein as you live out in BFE Cali, go talk to your local Napa parts guys, they tend to have a couple older guys that have been doin this stuff for decades. I got almost everything I needed for my rig there. They have the books that go back that far and if you find the right guy, they can find later year parts that cross over, and sometimes cost less. Many Napa shops also have machine shops that can help with other items you're gonna have to take care of.
Also if there's a truck shop nearby, & even your local tractor shops, try talking to them about some of your heavy items like the rear end, gear boxes, and that winch. My local truck shop and the John Deere guys have been a huge help.

Dont worry too much about your sheet metal till you have the truck operable. You can find another cab, doors, maybe even fenders. Alot of that can wait just fine till you have the other things done. You'll want to have a look at the inside of that engine sometime too, my beast ran OK when I bought it, but it was far from OK. There's not much point if it looks purdy but dont move! Plus they are MUCH easier to work on when the front end is torn down.

But yanno what, were all getting WAY ahead of ourselves here. There is NO point what so ever, in doing anything to make this old girl mobile again till you go talk to the Peoples Republic of California DMV and see what its gonna cost to license that beast. That in itself may cost you more than any other single item, may as well find out now.

Good luck with it, have fun, and dont hesitate to ask for help from these guys on here. They saved my hiney a time or twenty. smile

1956 GMC 370 dump " 'Tater "
1970 VW Volksrod "the Black Bomber"
1973 VW Superbeetle "Oliver"
2007 Chevy Avalanche
2005 Harley Davidson FLHTCUI

I dig all cars, old and new, whether they were hammered out of American iron, German steel, or Japanese tin cans. Being unable to appreciate them all is missing out on a world of great things.
But thats just MY opinion!
:P
Re: 1958 Chevrolet Viking 60 Series. [Re: Freq2002] #639950 Thu Apr 22 2010 06:47 PM
B
bullittben Offline
New Guy
There was an earlier post about a '58 Viking last week or so where a link was posted to Karps Brake Service in California I think. They rebuilt Hydro-Vacs for around $200. That made my day because I had been expecting it to be much more.

1970 Chevy C10 Short Box
[http://www.stovebolt.com/gallery/price_ben_1959.html]1959 Chevy C-60 Dump Truck[/url]
More pix in Photobucket
Re: 1958 Chevrolet Viking 60 Series. [Re: bullittben] #640115 Fri Apr 23 2010 03:01 AM
A
Adam4t Offline OP
New Guy
Well I'm not sure what's woring with the tires, and the one problem with putting it on a stand is I'm working on it in a Pole Barn, and whenever I can afford the tires and brakes, that's when I'll have a guy come out and do that for me.

I'm waiting on a parts manual and yeah my dad knows quite a few people and is good friends with the manager at our NAPA so I think I could get some numbers crossed because most of the people there are older as well. Only hard thing is I can't just go wherever whenever I need to because I'm only 14 and without a license. Making it a bit more difficult, obviously. :o But I think that I can get a friend to do some errands for me, hopefully.

Now I wish you would've told my dad and grandpa that. Because that things been in the canal twice but they never thought about replacing the brakes, or even checking them out for that matter I suppose.

Now that brings a smile. Hydro-Vacs for $200 sounds like a steal.

And I'm not touching the tires, I'm certainly not a tire expert so I like to stay out of those departments that I don't know of.

Thanks for the info guys!

-Adam

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop