The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Time to gathering together!
Fall Happenings
That time of year with some last chances to get together in bunches. Time to check out:
THE SIDE LOT
From Coast to Coast and some International gatherings listed, too.

Next up: the ODSS gathers this week (Sept 22-24) at a yearly ATHS show in Winchester VA.

Since we put up this promo last week, a bunch of new postings of Swap Meets, Cruisin's, and more
in the SIDE LOT.
See what's happening with a Stovebolt Collective near you
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
5 members (Peggy M, delky, baldeagle, klhansen, 1 invisible), 104 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics129,095
Posts1,046,670
Members46,191
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#603523 Tue Dec 22 2009 08:06 PM
O
ornge58 Offline OP
Apprentice
Howdy! Does anyone know if there is an adapter kit made to put my 53 chevy truck on an s-10 frame--- OTHER than from ad-engeneering (MAN--are they EXPENSIVE!!!!)
Thanks!

Extreme Gabster
I don't know of any other kit.

I have no idea what the kit costs or what is in it but I will say this. If you were to make a swap like this on your own you would spend countless hours figuring what needs to be built, how to build it, gathering materials and building it. There will be lots of trial and error and re-doing. It will make less of a dent in your wallet but will cost way more in time.

This same fact is true with many aspects of rebuilding an old truck. Take disc brakes for instance. You can buy the kit or you can fabricate your own brackets, scrounge around junk yards for used serviceable parts, re-build them and try to make it work.

Depending on what your time is worth to you, it might be less expensive in the long run to get the kit.

"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
My TRUCKS website
O
Shop Shark
Hey Cletis, I saw the AD Engineering website and looked at their photos and gallery.
It seems to me that the truck would sit pretty low on an s-10 frame.

Is the road clearance really lower, or is it just my imagination?

Thanks!

O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
There is a second company making a kit. I'm not sure they are any cheaper than AD Engineering.

Lots of people have done this swap without a kit. If you are good at fabricating there is no reason not to tackle it on your own. If you're going to need to hire a fabricator to make your mounts you'll spend less money buying the kit.

The AD Engineering kit puts the truck at about stock ride height.

Its true, I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Steve@OldSub.com . www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com
'55 1st GMC Suburban . '54 GMC 250 trailer puller project. '54 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic . '54 Chevy 3100 . '47 Chevy COE . and more...
O
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by OldSub
The AD Engineering kit puts the truck at about stock ride height.

Thanks!

I guess its just my "predjudice" kicking in grin - imagining a lower road clearance.

I really don't like the idea of putting a old vehicle on a modern frame. Sorta takes away from the "classic" stuff.

All I agree with is upgrading to things like power-discs, modern buckets with built-in seat belts and harnesses, and hopefully, a collapsable steering column.

So I guess I'm talking "semi-original". cool

S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
KC Mongo has a kit as well for swapping a complete frame

if you just want the front suspension without the issue of the radiator interfering with the steering box, let me know, I sell a crossmember. http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads...;Main=84625&Number=595038#Post595038

PM me for details.

The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
S
Wrench Fetcher
Orange58,
There is one other option I did on my 46 4 door years ago.
Chassis Engineering makes a BOLT-IN for the front and the rear.
Just clean up your frame,drill a few holes and you are set.
The front uses stock Mustang II that you can buy from them or go to the parts house and get springs,bushings,Granda bearings and 11" GM calapers. I put 85,000 miles on that car before building a Pickup. Just another Idea.

Sully

C
Shop Shark

50 chevy 3100
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Here is a write-up using teh ez chassis swap

http://chevytrucks.org/tech/s10_frame_swap.htm

Or you can do it yourself

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8491
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144798

Either way, an S-10 frame swap involves being creative with the radiator and steering.

The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop