The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

WELCOME

The site has expanded to include the 1973 to 1987 trucks!

Check out the new forum just for them and welcome our newest brothers and sisters with the "Rounded Line" trucks.
Encourage one another! Share what you've learned!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 members (EdPruss, frogfarmer, Flatblu4748, fixite7, 68ironhead, 55 SHAKER, 1 invisible), 144 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics122,634
Posts989,429
Members44,504
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DCU, DBI, DBU, DIU, DP401LF, DT885, DELEMA
#126008 Sat May 05 2007 07:39 PM
D
Extreme Gabster
DCU, DBI, DBU, DIU, DP401LF, DT885, DT870, DTV, DPLF, DX393, DX330, DX394, DX320, DP402LF
So, the question is, since four out of the four PPG Platinum dealers that I have been to in the past month, can’t explain what all the different names mean, is there anyone who can??? PPG’s websites are about useless for getting information on the use of their paints, thinners, reducers, flatteners and other products. Is there a tutorial anywhere that explains the PPG Systems and their use??? I asked all the counter men today for a DT reducer for a DP epoxy primer and they had no idea of what I was talking about. I literally had to go behind the counter and pick out the reducer myself. When asked if they could pull up a data sheet on the product their answers was no, they didn’t know how, period!
I mean I have spend literally weeks asking and searching for any information to makes sense of these numbers or some way of pulling it all together and the best I can come up with is a couple of data sheets that leave you with an extremely sketchy rough idea of what the product is or how it is to be used. Where do the body shops get the information to use the products???
And god forbid, if you try to find anything out on the CPC (Commercial Performance Coatings). One dealer never heard of it, two more that advertised that they handled industrial coatings acted like they new nothing about it also. I’ve bought interior and exterior paint from three of the more popular vendors and it was CPC enamel. PPG says they can only mix the correct offset colors for the interior of an AD in DIU or Omni. So where are the vendors coming up with their “Correct” colors in CPC??
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Re: DCU, DBI, DBU, DIU, DP401LF, DT885, DELEMA
#126009 Sat May 05 2007 08:17 PM
F
Extreme Gabster
the "D" series is Deltron, Delstar or Duracryl - PPG has a huge range of paint formulations, maybe you need to find another brand that knows what they got?

PPG MSDS search

Bill

Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
#126010 Sat May 05 2007 08:39 PM
S
Wrench Fetcher
DCU is the line of clears. For ex DCU2042 or DCU2055.
DBI is a interior paint not for outside use
DBU is a basecoat line that is getting phased out by PPG. Many colors are not getting made in DBU.
DBC is the topline basecoat line.
DPLF 401 and 402 are epoxy hardners.
DT890, 885, 880, 870 and 860 are reducers used in primers, DBC and clears. The number means the temp range. If its 80 degrees outside then use DT880 reducer.
DPLF is epoxy primer. The number is a color. 90 is black and 74 is red, 50 is green.
Dx330 is a solvent based cleaner. Used to clean the surface prior to appling paint. Commonly called wax and grease remover.
Dx440 is also a solvent based cleaner but a higher strengh cleaner.
DX103 is a water borne cleaner, much better suited for final cleaning.

PPG tech sheets
http://www.ppg.com/cr-refinish/phase1/frmProductInfo.asp?Cat=9

Currently working on custom metal and How to videos.

1949 and 1972 chevy trucks
70 chevelle SS455
Pictures of my work and projects
http://community.webshots.com/user/sevt_chevelle
#126011 Sat May 05 2007 10:19 PM
'Bolter
Denny,

Did PPG Color Library people say that you had to use Omni or DIU for the interior color? Or, were you told this by your local PPG seller?

DIU is a two-part single-stage interior paint.
http://www.ppg.com/refinishftpsite/docs/p152pix.pdf

I was able to get DCC mixed for all my exterior and interior offset formulas.

Omni is a lower quality line of urethane paints. I find it hard to believe that PPG said that Omni is one of two options (and the other option is DIU). However, I believe anything might be said by a local PPG jobber.

You have most likely seen this list of links - the Product Lines links might be helpful. Also, look at the Product Information link at the top of the page (for application information)

Good luck,
Tim

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
#126012 Sun May 06 2007 04:11 AM
D
Extreme Gabster
The woman at the color library said that she could only give me the formula for the DBU/DIU offset. The dealer told me he could mix that 27467 number in DBU or Omni. Now that’s what I mean, this is the first I’ve heard of the DCC “Concept” line.
I have the Deltron Product Bulletins Index but there is no mention as to the reducers or thinners etc., that are compatible with them. I can’t find a bulletin index for the reducers or thinners.
Not all of the bulletins give a complete listing of the reducers used for thining. Such as the Epoxy primer, DPxx only says use DT of DTV, what is DTV and where is a list of the DT temp ranges available and what is the 8 for in the DT8xx?
Where was the mention of them discontinuing the DBU system, I can’t find mention of that anywhere.
And no I have not seen the list of links Tim.
There is no information available that I can find for the Delstar or Duracryl products either.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

#126013 Sun May 06 2007 05:04 AM
T
Shop Shark
Denny,

As to sevt_chevelle list he is correct. also the DCC is a straight color acrylic urethane. another words it does not use clear as a top coat. I would recomend this if your color is not a metalic color. As far as the reducers go I am not sure what the 8 stands for but the folowing numbers are for the temp you will be spraying your truck in. DT870 would be for 70 deg temp ect...

#126014 Sun May 06 2007 01:58 PM
'Bolter
Denny,

You said you could not get your formula in PPG Concept DCC two-part single-stage urethane. Nonetheless, here are the temp ranges for DCX catalyst/hardener and DT reducer (used with DCC - I cannot find a product sheet).

65-75 degrees F: Use DCX-61 (catalyst/activator) & DT-860 (reducer)
76-85 degrees F: Use DCX-61 (catalyst/activator) & DT-870 (reducer)
86-95 degrees F: Use DCX-61 (catalyst/activator) & DT-885 (reducer)

PPG Omni MTK Acrylic Urethane uses a different line of hardeners/catalysts and reducers (I cannot find a product sheet).

MR188 (very slow)
MR187 (slow)
MR186 (medium)
MR185 (fast)

MH167 (fast)
MH168 (slow)
MH169 (very slow)

There is also an Omni AU two-part single-stage automotive exterior urethane. I guess you are going to have to find out what Omni line your jobber would use. If they do not have an application information sheet, then a web search is your best hope.

Tim

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
#126015 Mon May 07 2007 02:30 AM
D
Extreme Gabster
Thanks Tim, I did find a data sheet of DCC that listed the DT reducer temp ranges. That was not on the P-196 sheet for the DP epoxy primer and that was what I wanted to thin a bit.
I went to a Swap Meet/show at Grayslake, IL this morning (sun 05/06)and talked with a guy that had just painted his '52, 3100 Green with DCC no clear coat. It looked exactly like the finish that I am looking for. I'll be painting as close to Mariner Blue as I can get. I haven't contacted PPG color library about an offset yet because I won't be ready till this fall for the complete paint work. Just doing some easy to remove interior items now.
I've talked to several people about Omni and even though the DBU or DCC are more expensive I think I will go with them in the end. when you look at the work involved in a frame up restoration I can't see trying to save a few bucks on paint.

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

#126016 Mon May 07 2007 02:04 PM
B
Shop Shark
Denny,
I've been painting my whole truck in DCC Concept single stage. Engine, inner fenders and brackets, steering wheel and column, and exterior. The only paint I went with a vendor was the interior, and that was based on my experiences with using the flattener on the black inner fenders, etc.
I used DPLF primer for a base, followed by DPS3055 surfacer. They all use DT reducers, which is something to look for when you decide on the complete system, so you only have to use 1 reducer throughout. I've found DT870 to be a good all around reducer for the temps around here, unless you're gonna be painting below 60-65 degrees. I also like using DP401 catalyst for the DP epoxy, since it has a 72 hour potlife and I can mix some up and have 3 days to use it. The DT reducer works fine with the DPLF. I have an old P-Sheet for the DPLF and it says the Epoxy can be reduced up to 4 parts epoxy, 2 parts catalyst, and 1 part reducer. I believe they lowered this to 1/2 part DTV reducer on the newer p-sheets to meet VOC requirements.
The correct flattening agent for DCC is DX685. It mixes at somewhat difficult to replicate percentages depending on the gloss level you're shooting for, like 21 parts flattener to 32 parts color. I found that no matter how carefully I mixed the ratios, I could never get an exact match to the sheen I had shot a day or two before. Not way off, but enough that if you held the two parts next to each other you could tell a difference. I knew I'd be painting the interior a few pieces at a time, and I didn't want to have the same thing happen. Maybe with the lighter interior the difference wouldn't be so noticeable. Or perhaps the jobber can mix up the color in a satin finsh.
If you're going with PPG, this is pretty much they're top of the line, you could go with a different surfacer, but I'm pretty happy with the DPS3055. It sands real nice and I haven't encountered any shrinkage. Kinda pricey though, about $225 a gallon with a quart of DCX3030 catalyst.
I've used DCX61 catalyst throughout with the DCC Concept and have encountered no problems. Again, for single stage urethane, it's top of the line in PPG. Again pricey, I bought 2 gallons of Forester Green a year ago and it was right at $300 a gallon, plus another $80 a quart for the DCX61 and about $40 for a gallon of DT870, so you're looking at $400 a gallon ready to spray.
I really do like the DCC though. It sprays and covers well, and color sanded and buffed, it's got an incredible depth and shine.
I'd say pick what topcoat you want to use and work your way back, matching the system that way. Your pretty safe with using the DPLF Epoxy with about anything and there are more choices for surfacers, I'd just stay with using something that uses the same reducer throughout.

Bob

#126017 Mon May 07 2007 03:01 PM
D
Extreme Gabster
Thanks Bob, very imformative. I'm adding all of this thread to my paint folder for future referance.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

ps. did you make the Grayslake meet yesterday??

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop