The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Think Spring

Start planning those get togethers!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 registered members (Hotrod Lincoln, jerryschevyparts, Jeler, iron, dougs, 1 invisible), 59 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics114,243
Posts906,465
Members41,849
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Want to get rid of my slider windows, Options? #665634
Tue Jul 27 2010 11:04 PM
Tue Jul 27 2010 11:04 PM
T
trump  Offline OP
Shop Shark
Ohio
Working on my 1959 Suburban and the slider windows have seen better days. Parts of the frame are rusted out, glass is cracked, handles are missing etc. At $50 per seal+new glass+time spent messing with them 1-piece glass seems pretty attractive. We plan to pretty much use this as a two seat truck so sliders aren't really necessary.

I was wondering if anybody knew of a source for 1-piece glass to replace the sliders. I think The Filling Station sells seals for the 1-piece glass but I haven't seen anybody selling the actual glass anywhere. Maybe someone knows of a template?

Any help on this topic would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Want to get rid of my slider windows, Options? [Re: trump] #665661
Wed Jul 28 2010 01:06 AM
Wed Jul 28 2010 01:06 AM
B
bartamos  Offline
Master Gabster
State48 Ranch
Did that on my GMC, click on bottom of this post. Made my own templates (2 sizes). Got the rubber for solid ($25 ea.) and the glass cut to my templates @ $350 tinted. Fixing the frames and installing the slider kits ($40 ea.) is a lot of work, don't know how much glass would be. Never found anyone selling slider or solid. Any good glass shop can cut either for you and no shipping. Get the rubber first, put in on the suburban for a week, leave ends a little long. tape it tight in place and check it every day. then it will have memory. After a week or so, measure and cut in a home made "miter box", use a supper sharp knife. Bond together with 3M black weatherstrip adhesive and install after cured. Get some kind of ridged board (home depot) .25 thk, the glass is about .23. Mark a line all the way around the installed rubber opening, measure the depth of the rubber groove, subtract about 1/16 and add that amount all around. Cut it out, install it just like it was glass, drill finger holes in it to handle. It should be a little loose not much. Install using the string method. Buy a double suction handle (harbor freight) and install the glass same way, no adhesive or RTV, just plenty of soap! The trick is: make sure the rubber is tight to the truck when taped for a week especially in the corners and..... when you butt seal the rubber, build a jig to hold the butt ends together tight and keep the groove straight. Will cure fast so get it all ready and dry practice it. No leak problems with solid and it looks real nice. Albeit not stock.

Last edited by bartamos; Wed Jul 28 2010 01:39 AM.

1960 GMC K1001 (The Oreo SpeedWagon)
To each his own or the Highway.
All I know is what the voices in my head tell me and a little from watching TV.

Re: Want to get rid of my slider windows, Options? [Re: trump] #1099755
Mon Apr 27 2015 09:43 PM
Mon Apr 27 2015 09:43 PM
X
XJTank  Offline
Moderated
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Bartamos,
I'm looking at doing the same thing, replace the sliders with solid glass on my 56 Burb.
What rubber did you use? And where did you get it?
It looks like it needs to be quite wide to fill the gap from the pinch weld to the garnish trim piece.

Thanks,
XJTANK

Re: Want to get rid of my slider windows, Options? [Re: trump] #1100956
Tue May 05 2015 01:35 PM
Tue May 05 2015 01:35 PM
S
Sssingo  Offline
Shop Shark
London

Please use email or Private Message for personal offers.

Re: Want to get rid of my slider windows, Options? [Re: trump] #1100961
Tue May 05 2015 02:23 PM
Tue May 05 2015 02:23 PM
49bourbon  Offline
Shop Shark
Denton,TX
I have one piece glass in my 49 burb. Ask around & find someone in your area that deals with vintage glasswork. I was lucky in that the guy built a template, then cut the glass to fit. For rubber he had mouldings that after installed a small insert was pushed in to stiffen and spread the rubber. Did a vButt windshield as well. Sorry I dont have pics online but PM me w email and I will send some.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle."-Abraham Lincoln

Re: Want to get rid of my slider windows, Options? [Re: trump] #1100986
Tue May 05 2015 07:16 PM
Tue May 05 2015 07:16 PM
B
bartamos  Offline
Master Gabster
State48 Ranch
Wow, old post revisited! I did a tip on this here.(see the tip section and my comments above) The rubber is available for 60's as the "solid" window kit. 60's burbs had solid and sliding side windows. Example: http://www.classicparts.com/1960-66...-Window/productinfo/01-511/#.VUkI6el0w5s
Also google 1956 GMC Carryall and my Nassau Blue with solid windows will come up.(Saguaro cactus in background)

Re: Want to get rid of my slider windows, Options? [Re: trump] #1101011
Tue May 05 2015 10:22 PM
Tue May 05 2015 10:22 PM
X
XJTank  Offline
Moderated
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Thank you so much for that link. I had found it in my searching but wasn't confident that it would work.

I'll order some up and have my glass guy do some cutting after I get him templates.
Of course, I'll follow your suggestions as per your write up. I read it a few times last month and again over the last 2 days.

You made my day!

Thanks,

Rob

Re: Want to get rid of my slider windows, Options? [Re: trump] #1101030
Wed May 06 2015 12:17 AM
Wed May 06 2015 12:17 AM
B
bartamos  Offline
Master Gabster
State48 Ranch
Let me know if you need more help as you proceed.

Moderated by  tclederman, Tony'N Weatherford 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop