The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Time to gathering together!
Fall Happenings
That time of year with some last chances to get together in bunches. Time to check out:
THE SIDE LOT
From Coast to Coast and some International gatherings listed, too.

Next up: the ODSS gathers this week (Sept 22-24) at a yearly ATHS show in Winchester VA.

Since we put up this promo last week, a bunch of new postings of Swap Meets, Cruisin's, and more
in the SIDE LOT.
See what's happening with a Stovebolt Collective near you
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 81 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics129,094
Posts1,046,668
Members46,191
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
New Guy
Hi I just bought a 1951 GMC tanker truck. The owner doesn't know a lot about the truck other than he bought it from the sheriff dept. he says he's used it before for wetting down horse arenas. I'm not sure if it is a 1 1/2 ton or 2 ton. I haven't brought it home yet but he didn't think it had the identification plate. on the title it has a vin # of HC45311417. I used the vin buster and it only came back with chassis and cab, everything else was unknown. The p.o. wants the tank, I want to turn it into a flatbed farm truck. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

51 GMC

1951 GMC 450 3-Ton Tanker
"The Big Boy"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
3B Offline
'Bolter
Hy radioisotope, your truck left the factory with a 161" wheelbase and a 270 c.i.d. engine. You might also try visiting the Old GMC truck site, hope that helps.

C
'Bolter
A 450 series is larger than a 2 ton. The cab is the same as a pickup but the front clip is larger than a pickup and also larger than a 2 ton which is a 300 series. It will be a good flat bed, and it left the factory as a cab and chassis. The tank would have been mounted by a tank manufacturer.

F
Extreme Gabster
the vin buster is for Chevys, doesn't work for GMC's .... 450 series - '51 conventional cab model 453, basically a 1.5T but could have a higher GVW

Bill

Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
R
New Guy
Thanks for all the great info guys! So its a 1.5 ton not a 3 ton like I was thinking? How would I know whaat the gvw is? I hope I don't have to have a CDL to drive it?!!

"The Big Boy"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
S
'Bolter
Nope, not a 1 1/2 ton. A 1 1/2 ton GMC is a 300 series. 2 ton 350 series, 2 1/2 ton 400 series, 3 ton 450 series, & 3 1/2 ton 470 series. You have a 450 series 3 ton. GMC rated gvw on that truck is 19500 lbs. Look for the ID plate in the driver door jamb, & the "GMC Parts Identification" plate on the back of the glove box lid. It will be on both these plates.

Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
R
New Guy
Thanks guys I've been getting all kinds of info tonight. I also checked out the oldgmctruck forum, which helped.

"The Big Boy"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
W
Shop Shark
Nice truck!! another "tanker" was posted on "here",a couple of months back,but the difference was the "Dayton" wheels. That truck was also equipped with an automatic transmission. someone on that thread said that "it was common",to find "auto's",in "tank wagons",of that era. Is your truck equipped with an automatic transmission?

Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
That's a beautiful truck! Can you send us an email at "editor@stovebolt.com" we'd like to get that truck (and nice photo, too -- it would look nice in the Big Bolt and GMC calendars) and your story in our Gallery (see the links at the top of the page).

And by the way, those double hooded arrow turn indicators are worth a few bucks, so don't let anything happen to them smile

Regards,
John

John

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
Will Rogers

'49 Chevrolet 3804
'73 IH 1310 Dump
'14 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)

R
New Guy
Originally Posted by wetwilly5757
Nice truck!! another "tanker" was posted on "here",a couple of months back,but the difference was the "Dayton" wheels. That truck was also equipped with an automatic transmission. someone on that thread said that "it was common",to find "auto's",in "tank wagons",of that era. Is your truck equipped with an automatic transmission?

Thanks, If I remember correctly it is a manual but I could be wrong. I'm going to pick it up next weekend so I'll find out more then. Automatic in a 51 truck, never heard of such a thing. Well I guess I learn something new everyday.

"The Big Boy"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop