The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

WELCOME

The site has expanded to include the 1973 to 1987 trucks!

Check out the new forum just for them and welcome our newest brothers and sisters with the "Rounded Line" trucks.
Encourage one another! Share what you've learned!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (coach-frank, papas52, Mike B, J Lucas, Hotrod Lincoln, 1 invisible), 253 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics122,849
Posts991,255
Members44,549
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Small panel update
#735993 Mon Apr 04 2011 01:57 AM
'Bolter
Hey guys, I guess I'm just excited but wanted my panel and suburban friends to know I'm still pecking away on the 52.

Here is a couple updated shots with the grille,bumper,valance,parking lights and the HOOD...yippeeee. Got it out of the floor after 2 years or walking around it.
But, as you can see, the hood is in BAD need of adustment. I'm dreading it and decided to take a day...or two off. I've read the post and the Tech Tips but it sure looks like its got a loong way to go. And loosing the hinges inside it will only move so far....so where does the adjustment really come from??
Heres the pics.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r19/LutherParris/52Panel/000_0254.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r19/LutherParris/52Panel/000_0253.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r19/LutherParris/52Panel/000_0252.jpg

1937 Chevy Pickup [stovebolt.com]
1952 Chevy Panel [stovebolt.com]
Pictures in my Photobucket [s140.photobucket.com]
1950 Chevy Coupe
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...Nko1cUJCNFFMTVFEUnNRbjFhNTFPc1J4YWV4cmRB

52 Chevy Panel [photos.app.goo.gl]

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Re: Small panel update
Achipmunk #736034 Mon Apr 04 2011 03:35 AM
T
Cruising in the Passing Lane
I'm filled with envy Alvin.

From what I understand, you first align the hood to the cowl, then align everything else to the hood.

The Ned #736067 Mon Apr 04 2011 11:45 AM
Leo Offline
'Bolter
Looks good Alvin, you've added the cowl induction option, like me. I've been wondering about how to get that down too. Is yours worse on the passengers side? Does the front of your hood touch the grille when its closed? I was told to check for worn hood hinges but they are fine. You're right about taking a day or two to think about it, I'll help you with that.

Leo

Leo #736195 Mon Apr 04 2011 08:20 PM
Z
Wrench Fetcher
Looking good Alvin,are you putting any graphics,on the side?I was looking at your grill,you might have to paint them black,from the pictures the grey bars behind the chrome,stands out more than the chrome.In my opinion,and it really looking good, glad of your progress. Stay in touch.Wendell

Last edited by Z71Chevy; Mon Apr 04 2011 08:21 PM. Reason: added a word
Z71Chevy #736235 Mon Apr 04 2011 11:09 PM
J
Shop Shark
Looks great Alvin,sorry I can't help with the hood,I guess I was lucky with mine,so I can't offer any advice/tips.
I assume the hood was a good fit before you tore it down?

This is probably too late for you, but before I tore my truck apart,the hood fit was good.
I scribed heavily around the hinge mounts deep enough so that even when it was painted the lines showed.
Once the hinges were re-installed you can hardly see any marks.
Incidentally I don't know if this helped as well but I fitted the hood first,then built up the front clip.

Hopefully others who read this might avoid similar problems.

I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings

"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.

1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr .
jockbolter50 #736244 Mon Apr 04 2011 11:35 PM
'Bolter
Leo, it looks close to the same on each side.

Wendell, all kinds of "notions" going around in my head. What you think about a scene with the CHIPMUNKS smile Oh, the back splash bars look grey in the picture but they are actually powdered coated a cream color. I was unsure about them and will wait a while to judge it. If anything I will go back and paint them body color.... I think!

John, when I purchased the panel the front end had been totally taken off. I can't say for sure about the hood but I believe it had been moved to. I did scribe around them but in the end it wasn't deep enough. I learned here, after the fact, to drill and put in a little roll pin!

I might add that yes, as it sits now, the front of the hood barely touches the top grille bar but once the back goes down I think it'll be alright. In all truth, the front of the hood, from side to side, is pretty dang good where it fits down in the fenders. I have left the latch panel off for now untill get t he hood set.
I am going back and re-read the tips on it and I have some topics that I printed out some time ago knowing dang well I'd need them. So, for the next day or two, Leo and I smile are going to think about it and then proceed very carefully.

Thanks for your comments guys... and for your help and inspiration. I'd probably give up on this one a long time ago but didn't want you guys calling me a quiter smile

1937 Chevy Pickup [stovebolt.com]
1952 Chevy Panel [stovebolt.com]
Pictures in my Photobucket [s140.photobucket.com]
1950 Chevy Coupe
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...Nko1cUJCNFFMTVFEUnNRbjFhNTFPc1J4YWV4cmRB

52 Chevy Panel [photos.app.goo.gl]

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
jockbolter50 #736246 Mon Apr 04 2011 11:37 PM
Y
'Bolter
Sweet!! Great looking panel. I guess I'm just lucky, but on my 51 & 53 the hoods were easy to adjust, just by following the Tech Tips. Becareful and protect the cowl & fender paint, because if the hood moves, of course it going to eat the purty paint!!

Yakimabowtie #736274 Tue Apr 05 2011 01:24 AM
'Bolter

Alvin,

Your panel looks real nice.

Most likely you have already followed the hood-adjustment/alignment Tech Tip.

We got my Suburban hood sitting better after following that procedure.

Good luck.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
tclederman #736421 Tue Apr 05 2011 02:32 PM
Z
Wrench Fetcher
Hello,again Alvin,you must have read my mind,about Alvins Chipmunk theme on the side.I thought about suggesting that in my previous comment earlier. The color of the bars on your grill,would definetely look good as the same color of the body.Good luck with your hood alignment.Keep on Trucking!

Z71Chevy #736530 Tue Apr 05 2011 08:36 PM
L
'Bolter
Ha Achimunk just went through the hood set up before painting i did set the hood to the cowl and then the fenders and grill.Not easy took a lot of time and i did use a little filler in the back corner/curves.I had to give up on the springs that hold the hood up when open i just could not get the rear of the hood to settle on the cowl seal.I hope to fix that later but it's a stick to keep it up for now.
Wounderful job, enjoy.
Len

layback
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop