The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Stovebolt Supporter!
Indianapolis

Fabrications

Talk to Randy Domeck

See what they

can do

for you
!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online Now
30 registered members (55 SHAKER, 1954_3600, 69Cuda, '54 3600, 68ironhead, 1951Chevy1Ton, 2 invisible), 565 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics108,008
Posts845,003
Members40,052
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
desert, Marcia, mark spooner, speed5105, Stepside_Sterba, USAbison
Image Posting Policy
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#23383 - Sun Feb 01 2004 01:26 PM No oil to Rocker assembly.  
j0oftheworld  Offline
Phoenix, AZ
'59 235, when adjusting the valves we noticed no oil was flowing through feed tude and rocker shaft. Removed rocker assembly and cleaned everything, no blockage at all. Pulled out flow tube and the plug located on the side(head) near the feed tube. Sprayed it clean with brake kleen again no blockage!!!

We were thinking is the head bolt between the feed tube and the plug where the oil supply comes from and can it be blocked or not drilled (no passage)?
Or should we run/plumb an oiling system via the oil filter assembly?

I would like to fix this correctly but I have no clue whats beyond that plug? Oil pump? Blockage?

Any ideas I'd love to drive this thing!!

thank you
JM

#23384 - Sun Feb 01 2004 02:57 PM Re: No oil to Rocker assembly.  
Fritz Peyerl  Offline
Turner Valley, Alberta
Hey JM

remove distributor, insert long round stock with a flat end and hook up electric drill. spin oil pump and see if oil will come to gallery. It will take a while till all lines are filled. If you have the oil pressure gage hooked up check the pressure.
What did you do to the engine? did you had the oil pump our.
Did you had the distributor out? If so you might have not engaged the oilpump with the distributor shaft. If you are a touch to high with the distributor the shaft will not slide into the pump gear.

good luck

Fritz Peyerl
Turner valley, Alberta
http://www.badmileage.com

#23385 - Sun Feb 01 2004 03:11 PM Re: No oil to Rocker assembly.  
j0oftheworld  Offline
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks Fritz
I actually just bought it, "just rebuilt".

I will play with the distributor and see if it is properly engaged.

Where do you measure oil pressure at on this lug? The one in the cab reads 1/2to3/4 up on the scale.

thx again,
JasonM

#23386 - Sun Feb 01 2004 03:45 PM Re: No oil to Rocker assembly.  
Fritz Peyerl  Offline
Turner Valley, Alberta
my 53 has a proper gage. Go get a pressure gage in
adapted and hook it into the block where the pressure sensor is mounted. Either put a TEE fitting in or remobve the sensor.

good luck

Fritz Peyerl
Turner valley, Alberta
http://www.badmileage.com

#23387 - Sun Feb 01 2004 06:36 PM Re: No oil to Rocker assembly.  
Jeff Ogden  Offline
Shop Shark
Dayton Ohio
There has been plenty of talk about no oil to the rockers and about a mysterious special head bolt,someone has mentioned there is two different head gaskets for the 235. One is for the 54 on back and the other is for the 55-62,the differences is the hole for the oil passage and if I can remember correctly if the earlier gasket is put on the later motor it blocks the oil going to the rockers. If thats the case thats what I had done to the 57 235 I rebuilt for my 37,it got no oil to the rockers and what I did to get oil there was to take a cut off wheel and grind a groove about a 1/8 of a inch wide and about 1/8 deep through the threads on the head bolt and now it gets oil. It might seem crude to do it thay way but it works and I dont it 4 years ago and no trouble since. Jeff grin

#23388 - Sun Feb 01 2004 07:46 PM Re: No oil to Rocker assembly.  
Pre '68 Dave  Offline
Shop Shark
Snohomish,WA,USA
If at some time in the past a earlier top end was installed the mechanic could have installed a plug in the block oil port and used a special drilled head bolt as per chev parts book instructions. Here is what the parts book says.

Drilled 235-261 Head bolt:

From 1938-62, only two head bolt part numbers are listed for 216, 235 and 261. Long and short except for a special drilled bolt, used when a 59-62 block is used with earlier top end* to reduce the oil flow to the rockers.

Note: Use with drilled bolt
Plug # 37 64 579
Install in block oil port near right center head bolt.
(This plug blocks the original oil path and sends it through the drilled head bolt)

* The cylinder head did not change but the rockers did.

See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog

#23389 - Sun Feb 01 2004 11:45 PM Re: No oil to Rocker assembly.  
j0oftheworld  Offline
Phoenix, AZ
A question my friend and I have about checking to see if I have the correct "drilled" head bolt.

Can we remove "that" head bolt, (inspect for type, and possibly grind the groove) as recommended by Jeff without ruining the head gasket?

How long is this bolt and how long should the 1/8"w X 1/8"d cut be along the threads?

Thank you,
Jason

#23390 - Sun Feb 01 2004 11:58 PM Re: No oil to Rocker assembly.  
j0oftheworld  Offline
Phoenix, AZ
I has also been reading some archives and there is talk about having to ristrict "TOO MUCH" flow to the top end.
Will cutting the bolt too deep/ long create too much flow to the top end if this is in fact the issue?
Thanks,
Jason

#23391 - Mon Feb 02 2004 12:40 AM Re: No oil to Rocker assembly.  
Pre '68 Dave  Offline
Shop Shark
Snohomish,WA,USA
The factory bolt had a 1/16" hole up the center part way, to a hole out the side above threads. the 1/16" hole was to restrict the flow. I would reccomend making one yourself, rather then gringing the threads.

There is no problem removing one bolt and reinstalling it.

See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog

#23392 - Mon Feb 02 2004 12:45 AM Re: No oil to Rocker assembly.  
j0oftheworld  Offline
Phoenix, AZ
You're the man Dave!!
We will see, I have the truck at a good friend of mines. He will be cheking the head bolt for me and then we'll go from there!!

Thanks to all
jj

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  53moneypit, Woogeroo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop