The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 365 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,443
Posts926,239
Members42,439
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Ball Housing Collar [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1314546 Sun Jun 16 2019 10:07 PM
J
jorb Offline
Shop Shark
Helpful links to get on the same page.

Parts illustration
Everything from shims to the left are the same on manual trans. truck, except manual trans. ball collar & shims > are 4 bolt holes

Torque Tube oil leak THREAD

Ball Housing Parts

Re: Ball Housing Collar [Re: Sedgewick] #1315320 Sun Jun 23 2019 12:10 AM
D
daveboy Offline
Shop Shark
Your situation sounds exactly like mine. I had a leak at the ball, but more of a leak at the rear of the "tube" where the collar threads on. I had a gasket set and thought I would just slide the collar back, remove the old seal, slice the new seal, put it around the shaft, apply a drop of super-glue and tighten everything back up. I spent several hours trying to do that and gave up. When I unscrewed the collar and slid it back, I never could get the two washers and old seal to come out of it. I tried pushing all sorts of thing screwdrivers up into it with no luck. I even cut some sheet metal and made sort of a pusher to slide up into that groove and push those washers and seal out. No luck. So, I ended up having to remove the entire u-joint (trunnion) to be able to slide that collar off. I'm glad I did because I discovered that my u-joint is scarred up pretty good, so I'll be replacing that. I did all this today, and this is a first for me on this type of truck. I'm learning as I go.

'52 Chevy 1/2 ton running original gear
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  SWEET 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop