The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 registered members (78buckshot, Dusty, Hotrod Lincoln, 03marauderman, 5 Window 9434, joe apple, 1 invisible), 272 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics115,227
Posts915,359
Members42,199
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Needing opinions [Re: Pvmt-Pndr] #1314230 Thu Jun 13 2019 10:20 PM
78buckshot Online
Shop Shark
Pvmt-Pndr, do you think the engine is running ok?, I drove a lot of 366 and 427's in city beer delivery, our single axle tractor/ trailer combo's were 32000 -48000 lb. plates and had no problem with that weight and getting it rolling, even on the big road we could go 65 - 70mph. This was back in the 1970's and 80's so they were all Holley 4bbl. carbs. it wasn't until the late 80's that we changed over to diesel. I have no clue what the axle ratio was but tranny's were 5spd with 2 spd rears.

1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 single speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto
Re: Needing opinions [Re: Pvmt-Pndr] #1314240 Thu Jun 13 2019 11:52 PM
P
Pvmt-Pndr Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
I'm not 100% convinced it's in top notch shape currently. I only have 1 four hour ride in it to get it home. Once the weather warmed up I pulled the trans, rebuilt the clutch, reaurfaced the flywheel, replaced the starter ring gear and have driven it a total of about 2 miles since all of the work has been done. I found there was never a new wire run to the hei distributor, so I ran one, it was getting 9V and now 12 volts. I set the timing, replaced the springs and weights in the distributor, pulled the useless exhaust off, exhaust manifolds were upgraded to a set of block huggers headers, new plugs and wires gapped to .045. All that was done at the same time and I've driven it roughly 2 miles since I did all of that. I've yet to replace the exhaust past the headers. All of those things made it a completely different truck to drive. Just the other day I was under the hood and noticed that I have a bad gasket on the carb allowing gas to spray just a little onto the intake manifold. Hence the reason for getting a different non governed 650 carb. I can pull the carb off of my wife's truck just to see what kind of difference it would make. Her truck has a 366TD in it but it's an apples to oranges comparison and I honestly don't know what size carb she has on hers. All I know for sure is it's an edelbrock for now. I could just rebuild mine but what's the fun in that.

I plan to do a leak down test on it when I have time to just to see what kind of shape it's in. It pulls it's own weight quite well in the lower rpms, the higher rpms it does it too but not nearly as happily as riding the torque of the engine down low. Since this is my first medium duty I don't know exactly what to expect with it loaded down with the weight I plan on hauling or how much I'll be able to tell the load is back there. What I've read a lot of is that they usually don't change a lot between empty or loaded as far as getting up to speed.

Currently it also needs tires and it's still on the stock 20" rims with tires that make me cringe and wonder how I made the 4 hour ride home so the last thing I want to do is load it up and take it for a spin. 22.5" rims and tires are in the works. Since they're easy to come by I figured I'd look for personal experience and opinions on how it should react to that kind of weight with a different gear set.

Re: Needing opinions [Re: Pvmt-Pndr] #1314367 Sat Jun 15 2019 12:25 AM
P
Pvmt-Pndr Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
I guess put as simply as possible could someone tell me if the 427 prefers to be wound out to 3200 or should it prefer what I have said being down low in the rpms? If it prefers to be wound out to get up to and maintain speed I'll go with the 5:29s. If down low then I'll get the 4:56/4:88 and call it good.

Thanks for all the input fellas

Re: Needing opinions [Re: Pvmt-Pndr] #1314566 Mon Jun 17 2019 01:20 AM
78buckshot Online
Shop Shark
Well back in my beer delivery days we would pretty much run the higher gears up to the governor, if your thinking about 900R - 22.5 tires then I would go with the 5:29 axle, I wish I could tell you what axles we had. As a comparison, in the OTR trucks we ran back and forth to Columbus in, we had anywhere from 307hp to 350 hp, 9, 10, and 13 speed trannies. We were maxed out at 80,000 lbs on the haul north, 3.90:1 twin screws, but of course with diesel that made their torque at 1700 - 1900 RPM, with the governor at about 2100. The 350 Cummins with a 9 speed hardly new it had a load.

1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 single speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto
Re: Needing opinions [Re: Pvmt-Pndr] #1314583 Mon Jun 17 2019 03:21 AM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Online
Boltergeist
The earliest year 427 I've got HP/torque info on is 1974. That year it was rated at 230 HP @ 4000 RPM, and 360 Ft/Lbs of torque @ 2000. They started dropping the numbers in 75, and by 81, some of them were down to 195 HP and 340 ft/lbs.

I'd suggest using the 4.88 gears and shifting at 3500-3800 RPM, wherever the shift puts you at or neat the torque peak in the next higher gear. Obviously, you'll need to do some tinkering with the governor to get it to wind up that much.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Needing opinions [Re: Pvmt-Pndr] #1314591 Mon Jun 17 2019 10:33 AM
P
Pvmt-Pndr Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
I've been leaning toward the 4:88s and back to the 5:29s. I'm torn on them. The 5:29 is the gear set for a good price. The 4:88 is the whole 3rd member for a lot more. I haven't been able to find a definite answer on what the power is in this truck but I know it has a ton of torque compared to its up.

Thank you guys for all the info. Tires I'm planning on 295/75R22.5 low profile or a very similar size. Since I have an HEI distributor and plan to swap the carb shifting her that high shouldn't be a problem. It's going to take some driving around empty to figure out what makes her happy. I have a handful of things to do to her before I put a plate on it and drive it down the road though.

As dumb as I may sound I've been on YouTube a lot looking at videos of guys driving down the road in these old trucks, looking at their engines/trans/rear ends and I'm fairly confident with the opinions I've gathered that I should be best off with the 4:88s as a happy medium. I plan to have this truck for a very long time so if I happen to over gear it I'll just have to add more power to it. Weather it be an engine swap or something else creative. I've come across an 8.1L vortec complete with harness, all sensors and an automatic transmission for $1800 (I wouldn't use the trans).

Buckshot... that sounds like it was a good time cruising all over the place! I can't wait until mine is all set and ready to go! I'll probably get me a new saddle tank this week if I get time so I can go further then 50 miles on a tank.

Re: Needing opinions [Re: Pvmt-Pndr] #1314592 Mon Jun 17 2019 10:39 AM
78buckshot Online
Shop Shark
I think I saw a Craigslist add for some tanks in Belleville.

Re: Needing opinions [Re: Pvmt-Pndr] #1314614 Mon Jun 17 2019 02:03 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Online
Boltergeist
The hotrodders like the tall deck 366's and 427's as base blocks for some incredibly high RPM engines, but they're going for an entirely different set of parameters than trucking. The basic blocks, crankshafts, and heads will handle much higher RPM and horsepower than a big rig will ever see, so you've got lots of room to play in where performance is concerned. The dirt track where I raced in California back in the late 1970's had a 375 cubic inch size limit on engines, so one guy built up a 366 truck engine with a slight overbore to hit the max displacement right on the nose. When he could get the tires hooked up coming out of the turns, he was hard to beat. That engine was a torque monster!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Needing opinions [Re: Pvmt-Pndr] #1314625 Mon Jun 17 2019 03:10 PM
P
Pvmt-Pndr Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
I found a great deal on a saddle tank right down the road from me, $40 with brackets and everything else.

I haven't heard of anyone building a 366 until now. The 427 on the other hand can be made into a beast but I have no interest in building my motor at all. Cost wise it makes more sense to do a motor swap. I've priced out a stroker kit and a rough price on the tip end, it makes no sense for what I intend to use the truck for.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop