Stovebolt.com
Posted By: John Milliman Headliner removal later '49 - Sun May 09 2021 04:24 PM
Charlie's headliner (at least the front half) has not been touched since it was installed on the assembly line. I had to remove the back part to install the seatbelt kit ... and it went very well -- I was able to remove it and reinstall it without damaging it.

Back to the front ... Because this is the later '49 and does not have the removable center retainer, will I be able to just gently push it out and remove it after I remove the inner windshield frames?

Something is going on behind it that is causing a rust spot on the windshield frame and I suspect a mouse nest. I want to save the headliner if I can because it's original and its in good shape, other than this rust issue /soft spot.

Thanks,
John
Posted By: ndkid275 Re: Headliner removal later '49 - Mon May 10 2021 09:10 PM
My 51 has a 2 part. Once I remove the window frames (includes visors) and screws in the back, mine come right off. I assumed that your old marine corps eyes missed a screw.
Posted By: John Milliman Re: Headliner removal later '49 - Tue May 11 2021 12:03 AM
Thanks Chris -- I haven't tried yet. What screws in the back? Back of what? Can I just remove the front half, or do I need to remove both front and back?

I am not looking forward to what I am going to find ...

Charlie needs as new home ... frown

Thanks,
John
Posted By: ndkid275 Re: Headliner removal later '49 - Tue May 11 2021 01:52 AM
If it’s a 2 part headliner, I would take out both in one piece. You might wreck the cardboard. Mine has screws holding the cardboard to the metal just above the window. If you need pictures, just ask.

Chris
Posted By: John Milliman Re: Headliner removal later '49 - Tue May 11 2021 11:57 AM
Chris -- I've removed and replaced the rear piece before but I have not messed with the front half. I guess I will just go at it carefully and hopefully I can intuit my way through it.

Thanks
Posted By: John Milliman Re: Headliner removal later '49 - Wed May 12 2021 12:55 AM
Was able to stop by the garage this afternoon on my way home from the dentist ... Met up with Hambone. Anyway ...

There was no way to save the front half of the headliner. Turns out that it *was* a mouse nest. A big one. Recent, too. But enough that it caused the stain in the headliner and fresh rust on the inside windshield frame. Anyway, with Hambone's assistance, it headliner came out in pieces and I was about to hit the rust with a wire brush and spray the whole thing with rust converter. I think we caught it before things got too far. The headliner was original and and this was the first time the inside of the cab roof has seen daylight since August, 1949.

I saved the visor, though.

Attached picture 20210511_182932.jpg
Attached picture 20210511_183029.jpg
Attached picture 20210511_183509.jpg
Posted By: 52Carl Re: Headliner removal later '49 - Wed May 12 2021 03:28 AM
I hate rudeness in vermin. Won't tolerate it.
Posted By: ndkid275 Re: Headliner removal later '49 - Thu May 13 2021 12:52 AM
Since you pulled it out, you should consider Formica as a replacement.

Chris
Posted By: John Milliman Re: Headliner removal later '49 - Sat May 15 2021 10:49 AM
Formica?
Posted By: Hambone Re: Headliner removal later '49 - Sat May 15 2021 01:03 PM
Shag. Think of it. Outside the box.
Posted By: ndkid275 Re: Headliner removal later '49 - Sat May 15 2021 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by John Milliman
Formica?

Yes, I traced my headliner on formica and cut it out. You can find it at home depot for under $60 and it will be enough for headliner and door panels. Easy to clean!

Chris
Posted By: AWinLex Re: Headliner removal later '49 - Sun May 16 2021 02:59 PM
Shag? It looks like that is what you took out. add a little glue and put it back.
Posted By: John Milliman Re: Headliner removal later '49 - Sun May 16 2021 03:26 PM
Very funny, Alec. Really. Very funny.

laalaa

Why don't you knee me in the groin, too? Make it complete.

nanner
Posted By: TPR57C Re: Headliner removal later '49 - Sun May 16 2021 07:54 PM
John They call them shaggers downunder as well made me laugh
Posted By: John Milliman Re: Headliner removal later '49 - Mon May 17 2021 10:01 AM
Oh, so *you're* jumping in here, too?? I see... I get the picture ... 1-ton envy getting the best of you all I see. Certainly understandable. But Tim ... you??? oh, I'm crushed that *you* of all people would join in with ... them... Kicking Charlie while he's down.

Sigh ....
Posted By: Bill Marlow Re: Headliner removal later '49 - Mon May 17 2021 10:59 AM
There used to be a big yellow furball around that farm that would take care of that problem for you. That’s pretty good detective work there.
Shag carpet? Shaggy? The mystery machine......na, too much of a stretch.
For what it’s worth I just purchased some door panels from JC for the 50 that look and fit pretty good. Perhaps you can just replace it at this point with one from him.
Posted By: ndkid275 Re: Headliner removal later '49 - Thu May 20 2021 01:26 AM
Ok now that this thread was Shanghai’d by Tim and Alex, do I need to send a warning shot across the bow before Don jumps in?

Chris
Posted By: 52Carl Re: Headliner removal later '49 - Thu May 20 2021 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by ndkid275
Ok now that this thread was Shanghai’d by Tim and Alex, do I need to send a warning shot across the bow before Don jumps in?

Chris
Like that would ever work...
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: Headliner removal later '49 - Thu May 20 2021 09:03 PM
How did I get drug into this? You can’t get carpet burns when the shag is on the roof!
Or can you?

Don
© The Stovebolt Forums