Stovebolt.com
Posted By: 3800GUY 1946 Truck Headliner - Wed Nov 06 2019 12:47 PM
I have read a lot of stories about the headliner installation problems for the Chevy AD trucks. I own a 1950 1 ton (haven't done that headliner yet), but I also have a 46 3/4 ton. Is the headliner install on that year truck as bad as the AD models? I just purchased a headliner from JC for the 46 and just wondering about problems I will encounter installing it. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Tom
Posted By: Harold46 Re: 1946 Truck Headliner - Wed Nov 06 2019 01:54 PM
Tom,
I just installed the headliner in my 46 this past June. It is recommended to have 2 people to do the job. I wrote these instructions immediately after installation so as to include all the steps. Wish I had instructions prior to my install. It would have saved me a lot of time and a lot of re-do work.
Harold

Attached File
Posted By: 46Sparky Re: 1946 Truck Headliner - Wed Nov 06 2019 02:09 PM
It is doable solo, but much easier with help. Either way it’s not a task to be rushed, if wrinkles are to be avoided. I bought a one piece fiberglass liner for the ‘46, then decided to use the new fiber board liner that came in the parts pile acquired from the PO. I figured if the first effort turned out ugly, I’d redo the job in fiberglass. My previous experience using a fiber board liner in my ‘37 required two failed installation attempts before getting it the way I liked it, using fiberglass. I learned a lot with that effort and for the ‘46 completed the task using the fiber board. The ‘46 fiberglass liner is in the pile of leftover parts to be sold.

I didn’t have success with suggestions offered using water or alcohol misting on the back to assist with bending the corners for the fiber board liners.

Installing these solo, as I did, takes time, patience and numerous breaks to cool off, when frustration sets in, which is likely. Magical four letter words, occasionally may or may not help too?😱🤪. I cut wood props to help hold ends in rough place along with several Irwin-squeeze-type woodworking clamps, as needed. Before installing the clutch head screws, each hole in the cab sheet metal was cleaned out with a 10/32(?) tap. Then, I aligned the board on one end, the opposite end was held by a wood prop and clamps as needed, then I started aligning the metal molding, fiber board and cab sheet metal, marked the hole(s) and punched a hole(s) through the board with a plier-like leather hole punch. Screws were installed, but loosely at first, to allow for minor adjustments as the matching pieces were aligned. Unfortunately, I didn’t think to take photos of the process.

Good luck!
Posted By: 3800GUY Re: 1946 Truck Headliner - Wed Nov 06 2019 02:54 PM
Thank you both for the information. I will definitely get someone to help me do this, the headliner should arrive tomorrow or Friday. This will be a first for me on any type of headliner install, but they make a big difference in the appearance of the truck interior when finished. Harold, I will print of your instructions and tape them to the rear window as we try to install it. If either of you have any pictures of your work, I would appreciate seeing them.

Thanks again,
Tom
Posted By: ndkid275 Re: 1946 Truck Headliner - Thu Nov 07 2019 02:21 AM
I used a cardboard template and then used Formica as the headliner. It worked great.
Posted By: Harold46 Re: 1946 Truck Headliner - Wed Nov 13 2019 12:58 AM
Tom,
Here are a couple of pics of how I formed the cardboard.There is no need to wet the board with anything. It is cardboard! Clamps, PVC pipe (about the size of a large coffee can) and gravity do the job for you. It is not much of a bend. Just use a lot of patience. The finished photos are not very sharp. I will see if I can improve with better lighting.
Good luck,
Harold

Attached picture Headliner Bending 1.jpg
Attached picture Headliner bending 1946.jpg
Attached picture Headliner finished 1.JPG
Attached picture Headliner finished 2.JPG
Posted By: 3800GUY Re: 1946 Truck Headliner - Wed Nov 13 2019 12:51 PM
Harold,

Thanks for the pictures, looks like it turned out very nice on your truck. My headliner (2 pcs.) was delivered in roughly a 12" x 12" square box about 18" tall. The pieces were rolled up together to fit inside. The center portion will need to be straightened out a bit to make it easier to install, but should be OK. The ends are already curved from being in the box. Doesn't seem like too bad of a job to do, but I will get another person to help out.

Tom
Posted By: tom moore Re: 1946 Truck Headliner - Wed Nov 13 2019 03:43 PM
Did any of you install, spray... any insulation or sound deadener on the interior roof?
Posted By: Harold46 Re: 1946 Truck Headliner - Wed Nov 13 2019 10:04 PM
Tom,
I highly recommend using insulation. It takes a lot of the "tinny" sound out of the truck. I used "Peal & Stick from Lowes (AC Dept). It is aluminum on on side and self stick glue on the,other, Very easy to work with.I placed it on the ceiling, the back, corners, under the gas tank, kick panels , doors basically anywhere that it would be covered by panels. I have attached some photos for you.
Harold

Attached picture Insullation Cab July 2016 (1).JPG
Attached picture insullation Cab July 2016 (2).JPG
Attached picture Insullation Door July 2016.JPG
Posted By: 46Sparky Re: 1946 Truck Headliner - Wed Nov 13 2019 10:53 PM
I used the same product and vendor Harold suggested and with the same result.
Posted By: tom moore Re: 1946 Truck Headliner - Thu Nov 14 2019 12:09 AM
Nice work to both of you with the headliners and insulation. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: 3800GUY Re: 1946 Truck Headliner - Thu Nov 14 2019 12:37 PM
Harold, nice job on the Peel & Stick, thanks for the pictures. You and 46Sparky must have trucks that ride as quiet as a brand new Chevy, i'm sure it has made a big difference. I will have to add that to the list. Thanks to everyone who's shared information on this subject.

Tom
Posted By: 46Sparky Re: 1946 Truck Headliner - Thu Nov 14 2019 01:58 PM
Harold and I have traded help in working on our trucks for a number of years. We both recently completed the years long efforts. I will say without his patience in guiding me through some of the steps, especially the wiring, I doubt I’d be done yet. Thank you again Harold; and the many others that helped along the way too.

This fellas is the real benefit of the Stovebolt.

It’s that time of year again to consider sending a voluntary donation to the “Front Office” to help defray the operations expenses for this invaluable website. Please consider so doing.

Lee
© The Stovebolt Forums