Stovebolt.com

AD Springs

Posted By: Rusty Shackleford

AD Springs - Sun Mar 04 2018 12:59 AM

I just took the seat from my '47 apart. Overall the seat frame is in good condition. The coils springs are good. Only one of the smaller criss-cross springs that connect to the coils that is broken. There are springs and rods that run side by side, from front to back of the seat. They run underneath and through the coils. One is coiled at both ends and the ends go through the seat cross member (for lack of a better term) and the other is straight with bends in them. Two sets of mine are broken which has caused, I think, some sagging in that area. Can these be replaced, or repaired by welding? Hopefully, the picture will show what I'm trying to explain. Thanks

Description: Spring 1
Attached picture IMG_0295.JPG

Description: Spring 2
Attached picture IMG_0296.JPG
Posted By: klhansen

Re: AD Springs - Sun Mar 04 2018 01:17 AM

If those are spring steel (and they probably are) they can’t be welded because they’ll lose their temper and bend or break at the weld. An upholstery shop may be able to fab and install then for you.
Posted By: SavannahDog

Re: AD Springs - Sun Mar 04 2018 12:53 PM

Or you could use foam. I haven't yet. But plan to swap my springs for wood and foam. The Foam is available on Ebay. Do a search and find others doing this
Posted By: Rusty Shackleford

Re: AD Springs - Mon Mar 05 2018 07:58 AM

Thanks for your feedback. After looking into foam and lying awake in bed trying to figure out what to do, I decided to figure out a way to support the broken springs. When looking at the seat structure, I became amazed at what must have gone into making these seats. And it looks difficult to take the spring structure apart or put it together. I had some 1/8 by 1" flat bar that I slid under the spring. The breaks were were between two of the "coil towers" so I bridged between the two and supporting the broken one in the middle. Then I used re-bar wire and cross wired the center of where the flat bar met the spring rods. I did this for six of the coil spring towers (three in each line). As a result, the support now matches the rest of the seat (i.e. the movement in the broken spring area is minimalized when pushing on the spring from underneath). Hopefully the pics will show it better than I explained it! By the way, I am going to place 1 inch foam over the horsehair before installing the seat upholstery. Any suggestions in regards to fitting the foam? That is, should I trim it to follow the seat edge or should I allow for some over lap to wrap around the spring frame?

Description: Spring support 1
Attached picture seat 3.JPG

Description: Spring support 2
Attached picture seat 1.JPG

Description: Spring support 3
Attached picture seat 2.JPG
Posted By: RdsLessTaken

Re: AD Springs - Tue Mar 06 2018 12:12 AM

You are restoring your original seat springs almost exactly as I did. For the top, I covered it in jute as original, I then cut a piece of carpet to fit, (which leveled out any spring irregularities) and then added the cotton batting. I then added a 2 inch thick layer of foam allowing it to overlap the seat a few inches especially in front. The seat looks original and is holding up great after 5 yrs.

Attached picture IMG_8289.1.jpg
Attached picture IMG_8574.1.jpg
Posted By: tclederman

Re: AD Springs - Tue Mar 06 2018 12:24 AM

I wish I had done that on my Suburban, the first time.

Nice job, RdsLessTaken
Posted By: HandyAndy

Re: AD Springs - Tue Mar 06 2018 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by RdsLessTaken
You are restoring your original seat springs almost exactly as I did.

RdsLessTaken,

Your seat looks great! Where did you get the cover, is it a kit?

Thanks,

Re: AD Springs - Tue Mar 06 2018 12:16 PM

Handy Andy,
My seat cover is the Spanish Grain Maroon Kit from Jim Carter. Here is a partial list of my interior materials & sources:

Jim Carter /oldchevytrucks.com.
Seat cover Spanish Grain Maroon #UP109.
Vinyl for door panels #UP215V (same material & color as seat cover)

Classic Parts Of America
Arm rests maroon #19-623
Headliner Brown #21-402
Sunvisors Brown #25-402

Foam was purchased from local sewing (Hancock) goods shop.
Seat cover was stretched and attached with "hog rings"
I used 3M spray adhesive to attach vinyl #UP215V over a set of standard cardboard door panels.
Posted By: moparguy

Re: AD Springs - Tue Mar 06 2018 12:35 PM

One bit of Country Boy advice, HOT weather is your friend if installing seat covers. Let em set in the sun when it's in the 90's and they will be much easier to install.
Posted By: HandyAndy

Re: AD Springs - Tue Mar 06 2018 01:37 PM

Great, thanks for the information and installation tip. One more question, did you use the same procedure on the back rest or is it thinner than the bench?

Thanks again,

Re: AD Springs - Wed Mar 07 2018 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by HandyAndy
Great, thanks for the information and installation tip. One more question, did you use the same procedure on the back rest or is it thinner than the bench?

Thanks again,

I did not use carpet when assembling the seat back, just jute, cotton batting and I do not recall if I maybe added a one-inch layer of foam. My seat bottom measures about 6 inches high to piping, and about 7-8 inches at highest seating area. The back measures about 4 3/4 inches thick at top and bottom, and about 6 inches thick at lumbar area.
Hope this helps,
© 2020 The Stovebolt Forums