Stovebolt.com
Posted By: TUTS 59 Shop Layout - Thu Jul 29 2021 07:17 PM
I know this may be a bit of topic for the forum but we all have some place we do the work on our trucks. With my 2 post lift now becoming a reality I need to figure the layout for my shop space. Like many of you I don't have that much to work with and always need more, the budget is forever another factor. I'm working with a 28' x 28' foot print so I want to optimize the area I have.

I would like to see some of the layout that all of you are working with, nothing fancy just a basic drawing. With any luck I can use some of your ideas and make the most out of the room I have. Thanks.
Posted By: tom moore Re: Shop Layout - Fri Jul 30 2021 12:16 AM
FWIW i recently visited a retired fella to pick up some rear fenders. He was working on a 41 Chevy truck in a 24x28 or 24x26 building he built. He had a center overhead I-Beam he used to hoist and lift with a chain fall. But my impression was - that was a very efficient home set up and one I would be proud to work in. Plenty of room to work on a vehicle; had upper cabinets, and a bench-. He had everything he needed within arms reach and room to walk around the vehicle and work. One third was loft - two thirds open ceiling - clear span no center post.
Posted By: MNSmith Re: Shop Layout - Fri Jul 30 2021 12:43 AM
You reminded me that I wanted to start a new thread a few days ago. Maybe folks will participate and post pictures of their shops. Maybe that will help you with your design quest. See the "Show us your shop! Where you work on your Stovebolt!!" topic.
Posted By: Wayne67vert Re: Shop Layout - Fri Jul 30 2021 01:21 AM
Craig, Some interesting reading here: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forums/garage-gallery.7/?prefix_id=17
Posted By: Mike B Re: Shop Layout - Fri Jul 30 2021 04:58 PM
Check out Lugnutz (Jay's) shop...he did a build series here. He packs a lot into a 24x24 garage maximizing every available square inch! Worth a look...

Mike B smile
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: Shop Layout - Fri Jul 30 2021 05:38 PM
Mike, I saw Lugnutz series he did, I told him I was going to steal his overhead shelf design. He has a lot going on in a small space.
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: Shop Layout - Fri Jul 30 2021 06:49 PM
Think of it as a "cell" like many companies use in manufacturing. Basically its to set up your shop to use the least amount of walking......to get to the tools you use the most often.

.....when putting stuff in my shop and making something like a "cell" I did end up moving some things around to make it more user friendly. I bet most of us have did these. The only thing "in concrete" to begin with should be the Lift.

FWIW.....I ended up moving my air compressor, my bead blasting cabinet and moved the wood working stuff about three times.
GO FOR IT CRAIG, you'll get it figured out.
Posted By: NorCal52Suburban Re: Shop Layout - Fri Jul 30 2021 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by Mike B
Check out Lugnutz (Jay's) shop...he did a build series here. He packs a lot into a 24x24 garage maximizing every available square inch! Worth a look...

Mike B smile

Any chance you have the link?
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: Shop Layout - Fri Jul 30 2021 08:36 PM
It just so happens... https://lugnutz65chevystepside.weebly.com/shop-project.html
Posted By: Mike B Re: Shop Layout - Sat Jul 31 2021 01:54 AM
Originally Posted by NorCal52Suburban
Any chance you have the link?

If I remember correctly Lugnutz did a few posts on the different phases of the build. Maybe he will jump in with a link.

Mike B smile
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: Shop Layout - Wed Aug 25 2021 10:42 PM
I just found out my two post lift will be delivered tomorrow dance
Posted By: moparguy Re: Shop Layout - Thu Aug 26 2021 01:27 AM
You'll wonder why you waited So Long. Enjoy!

RonR
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: Shop Layout - Thu Aug 26 2021 12:15 PM
I need some pointers on spacing and positioning the lift. I am planning on putting the lift in the area for one bay that will be 28' X 14'. What I need to know is how far from the wall should it be placed. Ceiling height won't be an issue as I'm planning on 12 + feet.
Posted By: Phak1 Re: Shop Layout - Thu Aug 26 2021 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by TUTS 59
I just found out my two post lift will be delivered tomorrow dance
I am so jealous! My ceiling height is only 9’, so fitting in a lift would be challenging.

With a 14’ width, you may want to consider spacing it away from the wall enough so you could utilize the wall space for things like tool boxes, sand blast cabinets and parts cleaners with you enough room to maneuver between a vehicle on the lift.
Posted By: Mike B Re: Shop Layout - Thu Aug 26 2021 10:20 PM
Not knowing how your garage door is positioned in that bay, but hopefully you left enough room to work on the wall side and have it so it's a straight drive in through the door to the lift.

Mike B smile
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: Shop Layout - Thu Aug 26 2021 10:38 PM
The shop will be 28' X 28', the bay with the lift will have a 10'wide roll up door. I have looked at a lot of shop layouts and measured all of my stationary equipment (tool boxes, work benches...) so I have a pretty good idea of where I want everything.

I'm just not sure how far to space it from the side wall, I'm going to try and leave enough room in front of the lift for work to be done.

PS.. Just added a quick drawing, please let me know what you think.

Attached picture Shop Layout.jpg
Posted By: Mike B Re: Shop Layout - Fri Aug 27 2021 05:08 PM
The center of the door would be the center of the lift so it's a straight shot to drive in. Hopefully that will leave you at least 24" from the wall to the post so you can walk around it if a car/truck is parked in that bay.

Having the cabinet at the left of the lift right at the LF tire location will always be in the way.

My house garage is 28x28 and I wish I had made it longer, my 2017 Ram 2500 fills the one side with the doors touching the side wall if I'm not careful.

If you have the space, build it bigger than you think you need, in the end you'll be happy you did...there is no such thing as a shop that's to big...

Mike B smile
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: Shop Layout - Tue Aug 31 2021 10:56 PM
We'll better late than never, the lift is here so now for the fun part.

Description: Two Post Lift
Attached picture IMG_20210831_184513161.jpg
Posted By: Phak1 Re: Shop Layout - Wed Sep 01 2021 12:31 PM
I know that the metal buildings can be really flexible as to where the doors and windows are placed. Since it’s not built yet, consider moving the 10’ garage door closer toward the center so you can utilize the wall space.
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: Shop Layout - Wed Sep 01 2021 01:59 PM
Phil, I hadn't considered that. I'm probably going to stick build the shop as it suits my needs a lot better. I plan on running 2 rows of blocks around the parameter that should help with the needed height and allow me to hose it out once in awhile.

The issue with placing the lift has to do with where the expansion joint are, I need to do some more measuring.
Posted By: MNSmith Re: Shop Layout - Wed Sep 01 2021 09:25 PM
Two rows of block and just a touch of slope towards the big doors. Helps all that water get out.
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: Shop Layout - Thu Sep 02 2021 01:35 AM
Mark is dead on about a little slope in the floor. Some may say they are afraid of stuff rolling but depends on the slope!
ANY slope is better than none. I know better but like an idiot I poured mine level.

....and be dang sure the floor around the area of the corners of the door are smooth are you will have water come in under them.
Posted By: Mike B Re: Shop Layout - Thu Sep 02 2021 04:59 PM
Notching the concrete when you pour it for the door sill and apron (about 1" lower than the shop floor) will also keep rain water out.

Mike B smile
Posted By: MNSmith Re: Shop Layout - Thu Sep 02 2021 06:33 PM
I like it smooth for rolling things in and out. Whether vehicle or floor jack. A good door seal will usually take care of the rain.
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: Shop Layout - Fri Sep 03 2021 11:47 AM
Well gentlemen unfortunately I had the slab poured some years ago and it's level, no slope at all. In hind sight yes I should have had a least an 1inch slope added overall. I have a group of guys (former Troops of mine) coming today to help with the setup of the lift, if all goes as planned I should have a fully functioning lift by the end of the weekend. I'll post some pics later on. Thank you for all the help, we should have a link on the site just for shop related issues.
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: Shop Layout - Fri Sep 03 2021 08:46 PM
We got the lift mounted, a slight change in plans though. I moved the lift to center in the shop, placing it to one side or the other just left no room. I will need to rethink the roll door as it will be centered now. I lt will limit how may projects I can take on at one time but that may be a good thing.

Description: Two Post Lift
Attached picture IMG_20210903_153825143_HDR.jpg
© The Stovebolt Forums