Stovebolt.com
Posted By: 2-Ton Trailer Winch? - Sat Jun 06 2020 02:18 PM
I'm just now finishing up mounting a 12,000# winch on the duel tandem gooseneck trailer.
Next step is to mount a winch on the 16' light truck/car hauler.
What size winch would be good and not be too big?
3,000#, 6,000# or 9,000#?
It will not be used very much and will be covered against the weather all the time.

All thoughts are Welcome.
Maybe I'll get to haul Ron's fantasy Plymouth some day.

Don

Attached picture JDR_0076_zps857cdd0d.jpg
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: Trailer Winch? - Sat Jun 06 2020 02:39 PM
My Brother has a 4,500# Badlands on his 16 Ft trailer, the winch is strong enough to drag most anything. The price was right too less than $300.00 at HF. Being direct drive it doesn't draw many amps, we have run it on a jump box on a couple occasions.
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: Trailer Winch? - Sat Jun 06 2020 03:27 PM
The 12,000 pounder from Harbor Fright is what I mounted on the gooseneck.
Will be used just a couple times a year.
Have not tried it yet and it will have it's own battery.

For the lighter duty car hauler, I think 12'000# is way overkill.
This one is what I'm thinking about and I have that 20% discount coupon.
https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...-automatic-load-holding-brake-68144.html

Thanks Craig!
Let's see what other folks think about a seldom used tool.
Then again, it may be used more than I thought.
The Heartland Pony Express is alive and well!

Don
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: Trailer Winch? - Sat Jun 06 2020 04:31 PM
Don, if you are going to use it to haul cars/trucks or an occasional tractor you will be much happier with a 9000# setup.🛠
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: Trailer Winch? - Sat Jun 06 2020 04:45 PM
Thanks Martin!
I may go with the 12,000# setup, It's only 10 bucks higher than the 9,000#.
Way overkill for a 7,000# trailer
For how much it will be used, Harbor Fright is what I'm thinking about.
Keep it protected from the weather, lubed and it should last the rest of my life.
Other than get a new battery every five years,

Don
Posted By: Mike B Re: Trailer Winch? - Sat Jun 06 2020 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by 2-Ton
This one is what I'm thinking about and I have that 20% discount coupon.
https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...-automatic-load-holding-brake-68144.html

Don, the 20% coupons don't work on any of their winches...read the very fine print...

I agree the 12,000 pounder is what you want...

Mike B smile
Posted By: Wayne67vert Re: Trailer Winch? - Sat Jun 06 2020 09:05 PM
With a 50 FT cable you can use a snatch block and double your pulling power.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=winch%20snatch%20block
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: Trailer Winch? - Sat Jun 06 2020 11:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!
I have a snatch block from my Jeeping days years ago.
Pictures of the Gooseneck mount will be posted latter.
Other priorities came up today.
If you marry a true RedHead, it means you are a real man.

Don
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: Trailer Winch? - Sun Jun 07 2020 11:33 AM
Don, his post and one reply were deleted as being sexist. This is, after all, a family friendly site.
Posted By: John Milliman Re: Trailer Winch? - Sun Jun 07 2020 11:59 AM
Well, I like you guys and count you as personal friends so I can not idly stand by and let you put yourselves (and others) at risk without speaking up.

Well, call me whatever you want to (ill-informed, snob, etc), but for the life of me, I can not begin to understand why we are using the words "winch" and "Harbor Freight" in the same sentence -- especially if you also throw in "snatch block." Some of you involved in this discussion should know better!

With all of the forces involved in some of our hauling adventures, this is *not* the area to go cheap on. To save a few bucks, you are going to trust your physical safety (and possibly your life) to some low-buck Chinese crap? Have any of you even seen what happens when a cable or a winch drum hub or any part of the winching system fails under a strain? Saving a few bucks on wrenches and screw drivers is one thing. But we're talking big time equipment here with the potential to cause a LOT of damage, and even death, when it fails. "most of the time" "Usually" "probably" "not likely to need more margin..." etc doesn't cut it when your life depends on it. Here, we need 110 percent confidence and performance 110 percent of the time, gang.

I don't care whether we are talking little Tommy's red tricycle or 7,000 lbs of dead truck (ATV winch or bigger) -- Winching is NOT the area to go cheap. Pay the big bucks and get a *real* winch. Your life depends on it. Look at what the pros use. Check out a professional tow/recovery truck sometime -- you won't see any HF junk there.

In addition to the winch itself, pay a LOT of attention to your cable, chains, hooks, clips, blocks, attachment points, installation, etc. Failure of any of these things under a strain can be catastrophic. Have we had the logging chain versus real chain discussion yet??? Think a chain is a chain is a chain, huh?? Same with cable.

Call me a snob all you want. I'm just trying to keep you attached to your legs and arms.
John
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: Trailer Winch? - Sun Jun 07 2020 02:32 PM
John, you forgot about tow straps. They are also rated different like chain, cable and bolts.
Rope is also rated for different loads. Been running and inspecting cranes since I was 19.
From 1 ton to 260 ton.

You may also remember checking out the little 3/4" tow chain in the back of the F-250 at a past reunion.
Don

Edit: Did I ever tell you about the 100 ton kevlar strap I have. Yes, 40 foot, 100 ton rating with the fiber optic link going thru it?
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: Trailer Winch? - Sun Jun 07 2020 05:19 PM
I was lucky enough to attend the U.S.Army Vehicle Recovery Course at Aberdeen Proving Grounds. It was there I learned about cable and chain ratings, stresses associated with winching and the use of snatch blocks. I don't intend to place anyone's life in Harms Way. The Badlands winch I mentioned has proven to be a good unit, I don't in circumstances encourage going beyond it's rating. There are as John said way to many variables involved, no short cuts here... One additional factor that has been over looked here is batteries and charging system. I have a 12,000# Warn mounted on my 93' 4x4, that truck has dual interstate batteries(1100 CCA ) and a heavy 160 Amp alternator. The warn winch will draw a battery down quickly.
Posted By: MNSmith Re: Trailer Winch? - Sun Jun 07 2020 06:49 PM
I seem to remember something in my past about rigging.

Attached picture morongo14.jpg
Attached picture morongo11.jpg
Attached picture valley22.jpg
Attached picture Blythe69.jpg
Attached picture bc18.jpg
Posted By: MNSmith Re: Trailer Winch? - Sun Jun 07 2020 07:01 PM
Yeah, that's me in those pictures.

As with any equipment, inspect it for defects often and before use. Do not use if bad. I don't care if it is HF or whatever. Seems like the better quality stuff out there isn't as good as the stuff in the old days. EVERYTHING has a rating! Know it, stay inside that rating! They don't rate straps, chains and cables just for giggles. It protects the manufacturer, but it also protects YOU!

These days, they let me stay close to the ground.

Attached picture IMG_0259.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0510.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0631.JPG
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: Trailer Winch? - Sun Jun 07 2020 09:35 PM
I agree Mark!, never overload a winch, hoist or crane past it's rated capacity.
Most bridge cranes will lift a lot more than they are rated for.
So pulling a 7,000# truck up a ramp with a 12,000# rated winch, should not be an issue.
Tires will also be inflated.
It will be way better than the 1 ton chain fall I used to load an M-37 Dodge on the trailer a few years ago.
It also had two complete Chevy 6's in the back.

My respect for linemen is right up there with our First Responders, LEO's and Military!
Don
Posted By: MNSmith Re: Trailer Winch? - Mon Jun 08 2020 02:07 AM
Most lineman are good guys. I did that for a few years then started fixing their trucks. Got another six or so to put in.

Speaking of chains, I had an employee about to lift a load overhead with some chain. I stopped him, then asked him a few questions. He had no answers. Things like, how heavy is your load, what is your chain rated at, etc. He knew the chains were rated, just not how much. I knew the weight of the load but made him go get some fiber slings that had the rating tag on them. Important stuff in my world especially if you're going to float heavy things over people's heads. That hard hat won't do much to save you.

Which reminded me of something else. Our guys used to grab lifting straps to use as tow straps. We had to make it clear to them that you never want to use a tow strap as a lifting strap as you never can tell what kind of shockload damage you have done to that strap. We eventually went out and got them specific tow straps for the field mechanic trucks.
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: Trailer Winch? - Mon Jun 08 2020 02:56 AM
We are way off topic, but since I started this thread, lets go with it and learn.

Lifting, rigging and crane operation is a serious business!
Been around it a long time. Didn't take me long to just over rig, and know it will hold.
If it is only 5,000#', rig to lift 20,000#!
Protect all corners, it don't have to be sharp to cut a strap.

All personnel lifting equipment is not to be used on anything else.
Plus a dry run with 150% of the personnel expected weight before the actual lift.

Good commuincation between the crane operator and signal man is key.
The signal man is the real operator. The rigger/signal man tells the operator how to move which way and how far.

The Polar Crane in the Reactor building was a challenge. It didn't go in a straight line. But spun in a circle.
I'm tired of typing and we'll see what the Grand Pooh Bear has to say tomorrow.

Don

Attached picture Mike Mack colorado 1979 002.jpg
Attached picture Mike Mack colorado 1979 001.jpg
Posted By: Rusty Rod Re: Trailer Winch? - Wed Jun 10 2020 05:09 AM
I have a cheap harbor freight winch... i prolly should hook it up instead of using a come-a-long.
Posted By: Phak1 Re: Trailer Winch? - Wed Jun 10 2020 12:18 PM
When using a winch, especially on a heavy pull, drape a heavy coat or blanket draped over the center of the cable. This is a great way to reduce the danger of a snapped steel cable. If the cable snaps, it helps slow down the cable and pulls it down to the ground.
Posted By: MNSmith Re: Trailer Winch? - Wed Jun 10 2020 05:52 PM
Phil is right, you know. SOP at my company. I forget this stuff because at my location, we have very few opportunities for winch work.
Posted By: klhansen Re: Trailer Winch? - Wed Jun 10 2020 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Phak1
When using a winch, especially on a heavy pull, drape a heavy coat or blanket draped over the center of the cable. This is a great way to reduce the danger of a snapped steel cable. If the cable snaps, it helps slow down the cable and pulls it down to the ground.
The lesson taught by the Army at Vehicle Recovery School (Tuts59 should confirm this) was STAY BACK THE LENGTH OF THE PAYED OUT CABLE. Just draping something over the cable doesn't guarantee that you won't lose a foot at the ankle.
Posted By: Phak1 Re: Trailer Winch? - Wed Jun 10 2020 07:54 PM
What you and Tuts59 learned at the Army Vehicle Recovery School is solid advice and your correct in that heavy coat is not going to slow a cable rated for much over 6 tons, but it will surely help with a cable we typically use to winch a vehicle on a trailer. I’m not saying that you shouldn’t use other precautions, only that it’s an easy thing to do to gain additional safety.

Another thing I insist on when using a winch, is nobody stands in the path of the cable, either in front or back. Always stand to the side.
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: Trailer Winch? - Wed Jun 10 2020 10:30 PM
I think we could build a forum just with the information the Army instructors poured into us. It all comes down to safety, never use anything beyond it's limits and take care to avoid any unknowns. I remember it seemed that we never were going to touch and equipment for all the lectures. Being 18 with an M88 Tank Recovery Vehicle staring at you everything else gets lost.
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: Trailer Winch? - Wed Jun 10 2020 11:23 PM
Well, The original question was whether a deep cycle battery would be better for a trailer winch or a regular truck battery.
This has evolved into some great discussion about winch safety and we are all learning.
As for home safety, I caught my little toe on a door jamb a couple days ago, so the winch is put on hold a few days.

Here is more info about the M-88 tank retriever.
Quite an impressive vehicle! What do they use to retrieve it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M88_Recovery_Vehicle

Don
Posted By: Phak1 Re: Trailer Winch? - Thu Jun 11 2020 12:38 AM
Quite impressive. 70 ton winch and doubled with a snatch block! I doubt it a heavy coat will help in this case!
Posted By: klhansen Re: Trailer Winch? - Thu Jun 11 2020 02:56 AM
Originally Posted by 2-Ton
Quite an impressive vehicle! What do they use to retrieve it?
An M88A2
My unit had the original M88 with the V12 gas engine. A fire breathing monster.
Posted By: 55 SHAKER Re: Trailer Winch? - Thu Jun 11 2020 03:43 AM
I remember those in the motor pool. When I was a M60A1 tank driver.
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: Trailer Winch? Up date with pictures! - Wed Jun 17 2020 12:14 AM
Finished up mounting the 12,000# winch today and and the instructions said to re-reeve the cable with at least a 500# load.
It's mounted between the upright beams of the goose on 3/8"x 7"x 4" steel angle iron.
Took some time to make the angle iron fit and then welded in.
Wife's SUV is close to needing a new battery, so I went and got a new one. 700 cca and 840 @ 32 degrees.
Unspooled the rope and it took the shape of drum that it came off on at the factory. About a 18' dia.

So, to get it set to the winch, I tied off to a tree, truck hooked to the trailer and reeved it back on the winch under a good load.
7,000# truck and whatever the trailer weighs uphill to a maple tree. Two 6'x8' heavy tarps in case something broke.
Worked great, until I needed to start the truck and turn the wheel for the trailer to keep straight.
Dummy me, I messed up out of habit and put the truck back in low gear (6 speed) and low range 4x4. I was parked on a hill.
Started the winch back up and it sounded like the battery was giving out. Back in the cab to back up and I found it was in gear.
Back in neutral and the winch went back to pulling good.
It slid that truck/trailer about 6" uphill.
I think it has been load tested and the battery held up well with no slow down, other than the real load test.

One other thing, If something would have broke, the truck and trailer would have stopped in the pond!
Pictures!

Don

Edit: If you look close, you can see the tow chain I use to pull out tractors, semi's and dozers with the 7.3!

Attached picture IMG_2700[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_2701[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_2702[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_2703[1].JPG
Posted By: MNSmith Re: Trailer Winch? Up date with pictures! - Wed Jun 17 2020 02:21 AM
Looks good!
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: Trailer Winch? Up date with pictures! - Fri Aug 21 2020 08:21 PM
Just a update on how the winch worked out.
Pulled 48 2-Ton Chevy up on the trailer a couple weeks ago with no issues and unloaded it the same way. Wish I had installed one years ago.
It is a 12,000 lb HF, $300 one on sale with about a 12 foot wire remote switch. So I decided to get a second winch for the 16' car hauler.

Found one on Amazon with the wireless remote, rated for 13,000 lb's at $272 bucks and free delivery.
It looks to be the exact same winch except for the wireless remote.
So, I took off the wire remote controller and installed the wireless on the 20' gooseneck trailer. Will use the wired remote on the 16' trailer winch.

If you do much hauling at all, you should check into getting a winch!
Hope this helps.
Don
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: Trailer Winch? Up date with pictures! - Fri Aug 21 2020 09:02 PM
Have an 8,000 pound winch on my car trailer. Saved my bacon several times.
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: Trailer Winch? Up date with pictures! - Fri Aug 21 2020 11:15 PM
I wanted a 8 or 9,000 pounder for the car hauler, but they were almost the same price as a 12,000 pounder.
Go big or stay on the porch.
Like I said, should have mounted one years ago!

Don
Posted By: HandyAndy Re: Trailer Winch? Up date with pictures! - Sat Aug 22 2020 01:35 AM
Nice work Dr. King, you're the man!
© The Stovebolt Forums