Stovebolt.com
Posted By: Lugnutz Face Shield Replacement - Tue Feb 11 2020 10:37 PM
My HF face shield tends to get cloudy from small scratches. Debris from grinding and shop dust gets wiped off with a shop rag and eventually the once clear shield is too scratched up to see through.
Right after I bought my 3rd shield I realized that a clear 2 liter soda bottle would work great as a replacement.
I just cut out a window in the field of vision and lay the soda bottle plastic over top. Two holes punched in the top corners allow for an easy connection. The thicker original plastic shield helps the mask stay the proper shape. No, the soda bottle plastic isn’t quite as thick as the original plastic but you could add another layer if desired. Just passing this along. Might save you a trip to the store.

Attached picture CEEEC0C2-62B8-4A31-9D01-4F86F08752BF.jpeg
Attached picture 14311B11-7FF8-4538-AF5B-DEE503A138BC.jpeg
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: Face Shield Replacement - Wed Feb 12 2020 12:59 AM
Lugnutz you so resilient and FRUGAL....
Posted By: klhansen Re: Face Shield Replacement - Wed Feb 12 2020 01:31 AM
Originally Posted by TUTS 59

FRUGAL! LOL
That sounds like something I'd do, and I classify myself as CHEAP! grin
Posted By: MNSmith Re: Face Shield Replacement - Wed Feb 12 2020 05:16 AM
I would be concerned with the penetration qualities, or lack thereof, of a 2 liter bottle type of plastic.

I believe one of the sayings we have at work is: The road to safety was paved in blood.

I wouldn't recommend modifying or changing safety equipment. When the useful life of a product is over, discard and replace.

What is your price for safety? Ask yourself, how many eyes can you live without? Maybe it won't happen to you, maybe it will? Feeling lucky? I've seen too many accidents and had too many myself to want to chance it any more. I won't post the more gruesome face shield accidents I found!

Attached picture faceshield.jpg
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Face Shield Replacement - Wed Feb 12 2020 01:00 PM
MNSmith,
Your point is well taken. I certainly don’t want to recommend something that would cause injury to another person. I suppose the soda bottle plastic should only be used for protection against dust rather than sharp flying objects.
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: Face Shield Replacement - Wed Feb 12 2020 01:08 PM

You could just use the soda bottle over a new face shield to extend the life of the shield. Just a thought. (BWT: I'm CHEAP too)
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Face Shield Replacement - Wed Feb 12 2020 01:21 PM
You could just use the soda bottle over a new face shield to extend the life of the shield. Just a thought. (BWT: I'm CHEAP too)

That’s actually a very brilliant idea. That would extend the life of the mask without compromising any of the safety.
There are several categories of cheap/frugal.
Buying name brand soda and using the bottle = RESOURCEFUL.
Buying store brand soda and using the bottle = CHEAP.
Getting a soda bottle out of your neighbors recycling bin = ULTRA CHEAP.
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: Face Shield Replacement - Wed Feb 12 2020 05:44 PM
....its called the right tool for the job. I know Jay personally and in his profession I assure you he is safety conscious and seen many catastrophies.

I also realize some new folks may not be educated in all this and "something is certainly better than nothing".

I personally like the dentist mask which covers my nose/mouth and has the plastic shield sticking up past my eyes. I use it to keep dust and other "light" things out of my face when I normally would wear nothing......but i have the "right tool for the job" when doing grinding ect.

Very resourceful Jay............Invest in a roll of two sided tape and stick the plastic over the heavy duty shield.....
WAIT, STOP.....now we are impairing out vision!.......one more time. Use the right tool...for the job.
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: Face Shield Replacement - Wed Feb 12 2020 06:05 PM
Myself, I use safety glasses under the face shield when the situation calls for it, something my shop teacher had us do. I'm still CHEAP though. grin
Posted By: MNSmith Re: Face Shield Replacement - Wed Feb 12 2020 07:07 PM
Look in to tear-away covers. Something racers have been using for years to help them see after oil downs. Could be cost comparable.
Posted By: 52Carl Re: Face Shield Replacement - Thu Feb 13 2020 03:44 AM
Face masks are for slow blinkers.
Welding helmets are for those who can't squint right.
Steel toes are for those who don't know how to dance.
Leather gloves are for soft hands from doing nothing but counting money.
Did I leave anything out?
Posted By: moparguy Re: Face Shield Replacement - Thu Feb 13 2020 12:13 PM
Ear plugs are for those who have heard it all.

Welding leathers are for sissies.

Jack stands are for slow workers (I'll just be under there for a minute).
Posted By: MNSmith Re: Face Shield Replacement - Thu Feb 13 2020 04:48 PM
Lol! I'm going to take all your quotes, put them on a poster, and hang them up in my office. Along with these guys!

Attached picture safety3.jpg
Attached picture safety.jpg
Attached picture safety2.jpg
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: Face Shield Replacement - Thu Feb 13 2020 05:45 PM
These 3 guys need to go into business together, maybe sub contract for a Nuclear Power Plant eeeek
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Face Shield Replacement - Thu Feb 13 2020 11:32 PM
I will probably delete this post because the advice I gave to modify the face shield isn’t as safe as just using a peel-away plastic sheet as a way to prolong the life of the shield. We’ve had a few laughs. It’s always funny until somebody loses a tooth or 52Carl loses a nut.
I’ll delete the post sometime this weekend.
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: Face Shield Replacement - Thu Feb 13 2020 11:40 PM
Use motorcycle racers tearoffs. Should be about the right size.🛠
Posted By: MNSmith Re: Face Shield Replacement - Fri Feb 14 2020 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by Lugnutz
I will probably delete this post because the advice I gave to modify the face shield isn’t as safe as just using a peel-away plastic sheet as a way to prolong the life of the shield. We’ve had a few laughs. It’s always funny until somebody loses a tooth or 52Carl loses a nut.
I’ll delete the post sometime this weekend.

I would leave the post. That's how others learn. Through success, mistake, discussion, humor and examples.
Posted By: moparguy Re: Face Shield Replacement - Fri Feb 14 2020 04:23 AM
MNSmith said; "Lol! I'm going to take all your quotes, put them on a poster, and hang them up in my office. Along with these guys!"

Mark, you know how Carl is about Copyright infringement, smile

RonR
Posted By: mick53 Re: Face Shield Replacement - Fri Feb 14 2020 04:39 AM
Originally Posted by moparguy
Ear plugs are for those who have heard it all.

Welding leathers are for sissies.

Jack stands are for slow workers (I'll just be under there for a minute).

I put my radio earmuffs on and then crank the stereo, I prefer my hearing loss a little on the country side.
Posted By: MNSmith Re: Face Shield Replacement - Fri Feb 14 2020 05:13 AM

RonR

grin grin chug
Posted By: 52Carl Re: Face Shield Replacement - Sat Feb 15 2020 03:00 AM
MNSmith said; "Lol! I'm going to take all your quotes, put them on a poster, and hang them up in my office. Along with these guys!"

RonR

I hereby release all rights to above mentioned "safety protocols."
The only copyright infringement which I will not release is the one for "Cattle flatus."
Carl
Posted By: Gord&Fran Re: Face Shield Replacement - Sat Feb 15 2020 04:26 AM
I drink 7-up. I don't want a green face shield.
Posted By: Pat66 Re: Face Shield Replacement - Sat Feb 15 2020 11:49 AM
Might work great when oxy acetylene welding, Pat
Posted By: Fox Re: Face Shield Replacement - Sun Feb 16 2020 04:12 AM
I saw welders in Southeast Asia squinting while I was traveling. And no, they weren’t simply tack welding with a mig. Unbelievable.
Posted By: Hotrod Lincoln Re: Face Shield Replacement - Tue Feb 18 2020 07:32 PM
Check some of the dirt track racing suppliers for "tear-offs". They're thin plastic covers that fit over crash helmet face shields to help a driver clear his vision during a race. They're very inexpensive, and several layers of them can be stacked up without distorting one's vision. Try shopping for them at online race suppliers like JEGS or Racer's Wholesale.
Jerry
Posted By: jremig Re: Face Shield Replacement - Wed Feb 19 2020 09:17 PM
7up bottle = Sun shade
© The Stovebolt Forums