Stovebolt.com
Posted By: Lugnutz Shop Construction Has Begun! - Sun Feb 05 2017 02:41 PM
Fellow Bolters,
I received lots of good advice in the earlier thread. Garage - What should I build? .

Now you can follow along with the progress as the shop becomes a reality. LINK HERE - BUILDING A SHOP

Zoning in my residential area limits me to 600SF. So the shop will be 24' wide and 25' long and 12' at the eaves. The roof will have a 12/3 pitch. Smooth concrete floor and broom finish skirt.

I decided to have a tubular steel building erected. Lot's of companies sell the same building and to my surprise the quotes from each one were the same EXACT dollar amount. A crew will arrive and erect the building once the concrete has cured for 28 days.

I still need advice on lighting choices. I hope LED is affordable.

Insulation will probably be R-tech foam board (R = 7.7) for the walls and spray foam for the ceiling.
Keep the ideas coming!
This is exciting.
Posted By: tclederman Re: Shop Construction Has Begun! - Sun Feb 05 2017 03:55 PM
Lugnutz,

Thanks for the photos.

Watching your steps/progress will be educational and enjoyable.

Good job.

Posted By: MNSmith Re: Shop Construction Has Begun! - Sun Feb 05 2017 07:39 PM
Any utilities need to go in before the concrete is poured? Or, at least, future provisions?
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Shop Construction Has Begun! - Sun Feb 05 2017 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by MNSmith
Any utilities need to go in before the concrete is poured? Or, at least, future provisions?

I will run a 2" PVC conduit through the concrete for electrical service. I not doing any plumbing since the shop is only 30 feet from the house. Some might want it, but I'd rather not worry about frozen or broken pipes.

Any electricians care to offer advice on wiring. The wall studs have 5' centers. The gable end studs might be closer than that. I'll need 220V for a compressor, the lift, a welder, possibly certain tools too. I really hate running drop cords all over the place. I'd rather have too many outlets.
Posted By: 46Sparky Re: Shop Construction Has Begun! - Sun Feb 05 2017 09:41 PM
I agree on more outlets. I have mine every 8 feet with 4 recepticals each and sometimes their all in use.

I understand the plumbing decision. If it were me I'd still add the rough ins because it it cheap to do now and preserves options later, if you change your mind.

One thing I considered and was encouraged to do, but didn't and now wish I had done was to put in a floor drain.

The contractor also suggested putting in a floor anchor to use if needed with a come along. I am glad I decided to do that as it has come in handy several times. He buried a 1/4 inch thick, 12 inch long piece of 4 inch on a side U shaped steel and ran some rebar through it. At about the center he predrilled for a 1/2 bolt to plug the hole during the pour. Later the bolt was removed and replaced with a bolt cut for a large standard screw driver that serves as a plug when the anchor isn't needed. It fits flush with the floor. When needed I use a 1/2 eye bolt threaded into the anchor to attach the come along.
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Shop Construction Has Begun! - Sun Feb 05 2017 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by 46Sparky
I agree on more outlets. I have mine every 8 feet with 4 recepticals each and sometimes their all in use.

I understand the plumbing decision. If it were me I'd still add the rough ins because it it cheap to do now and preserves options later, if you change your mind.

One thing I considered and was encouraged to do, but didn't and now wish I had done was to put in a floor drain.

The contractor also suggested putting in a floor anchor to use if needed with a come along. I am glad I decided to do that as it has come in handy several times. He buried a 1/4 inch thick, 12 inch long piece of 4 inch on a side U shaped steel and ran some rebar through it. At about the center he predrilled for a 1/2 bolt to plug the hole during the pour. Later the bolt was removed and replaced with a bolt cut for a large standard screw driver that serves as a plug when the anchor isn't needed. It fits flush with the floor. When needed I use a 1/2 eye bolt threaded into the anchor to attach the come along.

I like your come along idea. While I understand the general idea, I'd like to see a few pictures. Can you share some on here? Or email them to me?
Thanks.
Posted By: Allen Lane Re: Shop Construction Has Begun! - Sun Feb 05 2017 09:58 PM
Congrats Jay. Seems a lot of folks are using T8 fluorescent tubes for shop lighting.

A little picky, but recently saw a farm shop that put the air lines in the slab to keep clutter off the walls. It was a big shop, but you could just plug your air line in like an electrical outlet. You may be able to get away with one big centered ceiling spool though in your case.

My shop is close to the house also. The only plumbing I wish I had was a little sink where I could wash my hands with the HD stuff when leaving.
Posted By: klhansen Re: Shop Construction Has Begun! - Sun Feb 05 2017 10:56 PM
If you can swing LED lights, definitely go for them. I put some LED bulbs in some standard 4' fluorescent fixtures in my garage and the difference is amazing.

Another option is to go with HP Sodium or Mercury vapor style light fixtures. You could get by with about half the number of fixtures than fluorescent and still get good coverage. You might talk with your electrical guy about it. The downside of them is they aren't "instant on"

As far as putting air lines in the slab - Don't do it. Condensation will be trapped at the low points, and it will muck up your air supply, and corrode the pipe. Your compressed air system needs to be pitched to drain points so you can drain any condensation out of it. Wall mounted pipe can serve dual purpose - carrying air and providing a spot to hang stuff. wink

Posted By: tclederman Re: Shop Construction Has Begun! - Sun Feb 05 2017 11:04 PM
Air Line Hookup - Metal Piping Information and Diagram TP Tools & Equipment Tech Tip

Download the diagram.

It eliminates condensation = lateral pipe are high up in the room. This scheme works very well.
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Shop Construction Has Begun! - Sun Feb 05 2017 11:11 PM
Great ideas so far. Thanks.
I think I have the buried anchor for the come-along pictured in my head. It sounds like you used a 12" long piece of 4 inch channel steel that was a quarter inch thick. Sounds like it was laid along the rebar in a horizontal fashion and wired beneath some rebar. A large bolt that goes through the channel steel comes up through the center so the bolt head sticks up above the concrete.
Concrete dries. Bolt is removed revealing a small hole in the floor. When not in use, hole is plugged with a bolt that has a slot cut in the head so it can be turned in and out like a screw. Remove bolt. Insert large screw with an eye and use it to anchor a come along. That sounds like a nice idea.
Posted By: Samantha Re: Shop Construction Has Begun! - Sun Feb 05 2017 11:17 PM
I used these in our garage (22' X 47') and they work great. These put out more lumens than others the same size (4'). There are two separate banks of lights that are controlled with two switches instead of all lights being controlled by one switch. I would also suggest going with an oversize conduit to the garage - that way it's easier to make changes if needed.
Samantha
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Shop Construction Has Begun! - Sun Feb 05 2017 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by Samantha
I used these in our garage (22' X 47') and they work great. These put out more lumens than others the same size (4'). There are two separate banks of lights that are controlled with two switches instead of all lights being controlled by one switch. I would also suggest going with an oversize conduit to the garage - that way it's easier to make changes if needed.
Samantha

Sorry, but that link doesn't work.
Posted By: 46Sparky Re: Shop Construction Has Begun! - Mon Feb 06 2017 12:41 AM
Yes, that's the way It was done. I can take some photos in the morning. All they'll show though is the plug and then another with the eye bolt. Had I known the concept would be as useful as has been I likely would have put in some more. Not that I at least for now, have needed them, but ....

Another thing I thought about too late was to have pads poured with thicker concrete for the future car lift. Also, should have had a reinforced beam installed for a hoist. Since then, one has been installed but reinforcing the beam and having to use portable and adjustable posts for added beam support is a hassle.
Posted By: Samantha Re: Shop Construction Has Begun! - Mon Feb 06 2017 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by Lugnutz
Sorry, but that link doesn't work.

This is the link. It worked for me in my post and your post. https://www.samsclub.com/sams/2pack-led-shop-light-sh445501q299/prod20952614.ip?xid=plp:product:1:1
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Shop Construction Has Begun! - Mon Feb 06 2017 12:59 AM
The link probably works for you because you have a Sam's club account. I don't have an account and my computer does not automatically log me onto the link. It still doesn't work. Sorry.
Posted By: MNSmith Re: Shop Construction Has Begun! - Mon Feb 06 2017 04:08 AM
Originally Posted by Allen Lane
My shop is close to the house also. The only plumbing I wish I had was a little sink where I could wash my hands with the HD stuff when leaving.

Wash some hands, some parts, a truck...........
Posted By: klhansen Re: Shop Construction Has Begun! - Mon Feb 06 2017 06:11 AM
Originally Posted by Lugnutz
The link probably works for you because you have a Sam's club account. I don't have an account and my computer does not automatically log me onto the link. It still doesn't work. Sorry.

Worked for me.

Here's some info from the webpage.
Honeywell LED 4' Shop Lights (2-Pack Silver Finish)
by Honeywell | Item #: 465390 | Model #: SH445501Q299
They were $55 plus change for the two fixtures.
I got my led tubes from Costco for about $17 for a pair. They work in any old fluorescent fixture.
Posted By: Samantha Re: Shop Construction Has Begun! - Mon Feb 06 2017 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by klhansen

Here's some info from the webpage.
Honeywell LED 4' Shop Lights (2-Pack Silver Finish)
by Honeywell | Item #: 465390 | Model #: SH445501Q299
They were $55 plus change for the two fixtures.
I got my led tubes from Costco for about $17 for a pair. They work in any old fluorescent fixture.

Each light provides 4500 lumens of bright white light and uses 42 watts. They were the brightest fixtures I found.
Samantha
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Shop Construction Has Begun! - Tue Feb 07 2017 01:21 AM
Samantha,
My apologies. The link works just fine on my home computer. Yesterday, when using my smartphone, the link didn't work at all, and still doesn't.ohwell

Anyway, thanks for the info. The tips on here are great! Thanks for contributing. thumbs_up
Posted By: f18delta Re: Shop Construction Has Begun! - Tue Feb 07 2017 11:08 PM
When the wife and I move out to where we aren't restricted by neighbors, we plan on building a similar sized building. We saw something like this at the home and garden show and like the concept. Not sure of the price, but when concrete filled, it should be rather sturdy. And from what the guy was telling us, it's insulated quite well. We also saw some buildings that included a regular door, overhead door, and concrete work with rebar for about $25k. These were about the same size as what you got too. How much was yours if you don't mind saying?
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Shop Construction Has Begun! - Wed Feb 08 2017 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by f18delta
How much was yours if you don't mind saying?

Metal Building:
Just the 24' X 25' tubular metal shop building will be $7500 plus tax which includes free installation. It will be 12' at the eaves. I have chosen most of the upgrade options offered. Mine will have upgraded 10 X 10 roll up doors, 1 window (possibly 2), 36" X 80" side entry man door with a window, 12 gauge tubular steel upgrade, and the vertical style roof. All the metal garage companies I contacted had the same price exact right down to the penny. I contacted Metal Garages Direct, Carolina Carports, Alan's Factory Outlet, Eversafe Buildings, etc.

Concrete:
The concrete work will be $9570. Since I have no direct access for a truck to pull up and pour, I needed to hire a guy who operates a concrete pump setup. The 26 yards of concrete is included in that price. I also had a large tree stump removed. The zoning requires me to pour a footing for anything over 500SF and my 24 X 25 will be 600 SF. That jumped the price up from my original first quotes of $6000 (tree stump removal not included). My concrete man was referred by the concrete supplier. I saw a truck pouring concrete one day and asked the driver some questions. Their dispatcher hooked me up with this concrete man.

The concrete slab will be mostly 4" thick with footings but there is a 7' X 15' floor section that will be 7" thick. The apron will be 4" thick with 6" edges. I'm told I don't need rebar in the slab or apron. There is rebar in the footings.

Opinions will vary on what is strong enough and what is overkill as far as rebar, 3K concrete with fiber, thickness, cure time, etc. I am trusting this man's experience and going with his recommendations.

I plan to wait 28 days before I have them erect the shop building.
Posted By: Mike B Re: Shop Construction Has Begun! - Thu Feb 09 2017 07:10 PM
I may be late as you may have poured the concrete, but I made floor pockets out of 4" galvinized rigid pipe couplings. I welded a 1/4" plate to both ends, had a buddy machine chain hook cross tee's in the top plate to accept 3/8" chain. Then welded 2 pieces of 12" long rebar to the sides. The pockets are flush and always available, just drop a chain in and go. I set (5) of them in a diamond pattern 5' apart from eachother that way I can straighten metal by chaining the ends while jacking the middle.

Also, don't forget the I install 20' of #6 bare solid copper wire in the concrete footer for your electric ground. Leave about 6' additional feet sticking out at your PVC conduit for the electrician to connect to the sub-panel.

Mike B smile
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Shop Construction Has Begun! - Thu Feb 09 2017 11:39 PM
Mike B,
I like the idea with the chains. That idea will have to wait for someone else since they poured my shop slab today.

VIDEO LINK

Building a Shop - Website LINK

Jay
Posted By: Samantha Re: Shop Construction Has Begun! - Thu Feb 09 2017 11:43 PM
I'm glad you were able to open the link!
Samantha
Posted By: Mike B Re: Shop Construction Has Begun! - Fri Feb 10 2017 03:33 AM
Look'n good!

Did they seal the concrete for you? Some of the best sealers go on green concrete the day it's poured.

When you trench the electric from the house take a water line out as well. It's nice to have a water source close by even if it's only a yard hydrant installed next to the building (won't freeze in the winter).

Mike B smile
Posted By: GWWirth Re: Shop Construction Has Begun! - Fri Feb 10 2017 04:13 AM
You might want to place an empty sleeve pipe under the walk before they pour for any future sprinkler or wires.
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Shop Construction Has Begun! - Fri Feb 10 2017 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by GWWirth
You might want to place an empty sleeve pipe under the walk before they pour for any future sprinkler or wires.

Yes, my concrete man had suggested that and the video shows where it is under the walk. The white vertical pipe is just a marker where it lives.

Video update - Make popcorn 'cause it's almost 5 minutes long.

Jay
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: Shop Construction Has Begun! - Sat Feb 11 2017 01:50 AM
Good idea to put the walkway to the house. MMMmmm, that may have been Ruth's idea unless you want to clean house. hehehe

Looks good Jay. I'll know where to find you from now on. Oh, you can call it the garage or shop but I call it "da man cave".
© The Stovebolt Forums