Stovebolt.com
Posted By: Lugnutz Garage - What shall I build? - Wed Dec 21 2016 01:29 AM
I own a home with a 2 car garage and I want to build another garage in the back yard. I'm looking for advice. There . . . I left that door WIDE open.
Here is what I already know.
The extra garage was my wife's idea and I have her blessing.
Bigger is better.
A big garage is never BIG enough.
I refuse to go bigger than 22'X26' or it will swallow up my back yard.

I've priced metal garages. The kind where they show up and build it all the same day. That's what I'm leaning towards. They're affordable. I think spray on insulation would be the best way to seal it up. I don't have $50K to spend on brick and mortar.

I will have the land graded and leveled and then cement poured. Then the building can go up 4-6 weeks later.

I'm thinking 26' deep to allow room for my tool boxes along the back wall and a compressor (which might go outside). Nine foot walls, a side entrance door and 2 windows. I'd pour extra cement in front of the garage so I'd have cement beneath me if I wanted to work under the truck outside in front of the garage or needed to roll an engine hoist around etc.

OK, please add some ideas. Thanks.
Posted By: tclederman Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Wed Dec 21 2016 01:57 AM
Lugnutz,

Whose metal "pre-fab" garages are you looking at (manufacturers' names).

Metal Garages Direct seem to have good quality, good prices, and good reputation. I do not know if they charge extra for delivery/installation in SC.
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Wed Dec 21 2016 02:00 AM
Funny, I got a quote from Metal Garages Direct today. Another company gave me the EXACT same price . . . Apples for apples.
Posted By: Old 'Burb Lover Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Wed Dec 21 2016 02:26 AM
It don't matter WHAT you build. In about a year, maybe 2, it'll be "too small". wink
Been there done that.

Our first house had a 26 long by 28 wide detached garage and I didn't know "what to do with all that room".

Wasn't long before it was - you guessed it - "too small". cry

Just sayin.

Posted By: tclederman Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Wed Dec 21 2016 02:36 AM
Old 'Burb Lover posts the truth.

That is why I am thinking of adding an additional garage here in NC - the garage on my new property here is only 40'x32'. Not big enough to match what my garage-space had grown-to in NY.
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Wed Dec 21 2016 02:54 AM
Just make sure some company don't sucker you in and use thin sub-par material. They are out there you know......Jay, I know you will do your homework and get a good one. Just had to "warn you".

....one of my best friends had a Hoover building put up and I must admit I was impressed with what he got for the dollar about 3years ago. Did you check them out?
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Wed Dec 21 2016 02:55 AM
Ok. I'll check out Hoover.
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Wed Dec 21 2016 03:05 AM
Mine is 40X50 and packed full.
Always have to fire up and move the ladder truck, just to do anything at all.

Go as big as you can.

Don
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Wed Dec 21 2016 03:07 AM
Allow me to simplify this a little. What details other than size should I think about? What size garage can accommodate a 4 post lift? A 4 post lift would really help with storage and work environment.
Posted By: MNSmith Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Wed Dec 21 2016 04:34 AM
Wire it for "sound!" What I mean by that is put in more electrical than you think you'll need. Wire for communication. Plumb for air. Heat. Cooling. Put in more lighting than you think you'll need. Including outside lighting. An office space for the paper. A machine area. A parts area. A storage area. A lube area. A fabrication area.

Wow. It already sounds like it's getting small.

Just kinda throwing out the wish list. Then again, this is where I work:

http://www.bunchobikes.com/lift1.jpg
http://www.bunchobikes.com/lift2.jpg
http://www.bunchobikes.com/lift3.jpg
http://www.bunchobikes.com/lift4.jpg

The last two pics are my wash bay. 6 doors on each side of the building, drive through bays.
Posted By: MNSmith Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Wed Dec 21 2016 04:36 AM
Oooh! I was just thinking today how nice it would be to have heaters in the slab like one of our other shops.
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Wed Dec 21 2016 04:38 AM
Nice workplace.
Posted By: moparguy Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Wed Dec 21 2016 04:48 AM
Since you've already settled on 22x26 no need to talk about that. My 30x40 with 10' walls is way small. I do have a 9k Rotary 2 post lift and it just fits my 10' wall shop with the lift in the center at one end, it has about 8" clearance.

My suggestions (not gonna talk about bigger is better smile

1. 10' walls min., 12' of even 14' is better since you can build some storage up high and a lift will work better.

2. Be sure to spec 24ga roof metal, sides as well if the budget allows.

3. Outside on the compressor, I'm moving my air compressor outside as soon as I build a 20x40 canopy on the front of the shop (and pore the concrete slab).

4. With the size shop you're thinking I'd consider going with swing or sliding doors to avoid overhead door conflicts with the lift when a vehicle is on it.

5.AC, at 22x26 a big window AC will cool it, just be sure to wire with max load in mind and plenty of outlets.

6. If you pore a slab outside, may as well cover it. If it's on a south wall the cover will keep the summer sun off the doors and you can keep the doors open in a light rain, nice at times.

7. I'd spec 5k concrete and have it power troweled.

You didn't ask for lift opinions but...I started out thinking I wanted a 4 post. After much consideration and lots of advise I went with a quality 2 post. One of my better decisions. Much easier to work under it and I can store a car on it if needed.

Good Luck!
Posted By: klhansen Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Wed Dec 21 2016 09:02 AM
For heat, use in-slab tubing. A warm slab is like a cozy bed in the winter (well a little harder) but you can lay there without a creeper and be warm. I have a some buddies with shops about 40'x40'x16' high and they all have heated slabs. Nice even in the dead of winter up here in Alaska.
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Wed Dec 21 2016 02:15 PM
Great tips. I think 10 foot walls are doable. That is if it will allow a lift. Yes, I'd prefer a 2 post lift. In floor heating sounds good but here in SC I doubt I'd spend the money for it. I will need good lighting and electrical. Can I get the lighting and electrical installed after the building is up?
Posted By: Maybellene Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Wed Dec 21 2016 02:27 PM
If you decide to do a stick build, you can buy attic trusses for about the same price as non-attic ones. Dropping plywood into the attic trusses gives you lots of storage for very little extra money...and future expansion room.

If you have attic trusses in place, you have lots of inexpensive future expansion room to go up, not out, even if you don't finish the attic at first. Access can be through a hatch, pull down ladder/stairs, or more elaborate with stairs. Depends on future expansion plans and money. The last custom garage that we had built in NC had back stairs to get to the attic. Never finished the upstairs before moving, but the plan was to make it my wood shop.

The disadvantage of an attic is that you give up the height needed if you want to install a lift.

Matt
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Wed Dec 21 2016 03:40 PM
#1. Before you start anything check with your local Planning & Zoning Office. See if what you want to do is even possible. They will TELL you how big/tall you can go. There will be setbacks from property lines to consider. They will require engineered plans to be filed and you will pay for a building permit. No sense in building something and then Big Brother telling you to tear it down. Don't try to sneek it in, your neighbors will rat you out.

#2. Bigger is always better. secret
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Wed Dec 21 2016 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
#1. Before you start anything check with your local Planning & Zoning Office. See if what you want to do is even possible. They will TELL you how big/tall you can go. There will be setbacks from property lines to consider. They will require engineered plans to be filed and you will pay for a building permit. No sense in building something and then Big Brother telling you to tear it down. Don't try to sneek it in, your neighbors will rat you out.

#2. Bigger is always better. secret

Yes, I have done the preliminary checking on zoning etc. Not sure about height yet. Once I have chosen size and features, I will hire a contractor to supervise things. It will be money well spent. Land needs preparation, tree needs to come down, cement poured, more than I can handle since I've never done any of this before.
Posted By: 52Carl Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Wed Dec 21 2016 07:14 PM
Don't go with the standard size garage door. Go taller and wider!
Posted By: klhansen Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Wed Dec 21 2016 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Lugnutz
Great tips. I think 10 foot walls are doable. That is if it will allow a lift. Yes, I'd prefer a 2 post lift. In floor heating sounds good but here in SC I doubt I'd spend the money for it. I will need good lighting and electrical. Can I get the lighting and electrical installed after the building is up?

In floor heat isn't that expensive. The tubing isn't all that expensive, and your heat source can be a water heater (preferably gas). One of my buddies has that setup and a lot of the time his shop building is too hot, even when it's way below freezing. You don't need an expensive boiler to run it. I'd get it priced out for comparison. But down there you can probably heat it with a camp stove in the middle of the floor. grin
You probably don't care about finishes, so the electrical and lighting can be surface mounted and done after the building shell is completed (as long as you have the stub-ins for the service - and that can even be overhead or outside the building if underground).
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Wed Dec 21 2016 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by klhansen
In floor heat isn't that expensive. The tubing isn't all that expensive, and your heat source can be a water heater (preferably gas). One of my buddies has that setup and a lot of the time his shop building is too hot, even when it's way below freezing. You don't need an expensive boiler to run it. I'd get it priced out for comparison. But down there you can probably heat it with a camp stove in the middle of the floor. grin
You probably don't care about finishes, so the electrical and lighting can be surface mounted and done after the building shell is completed (as long as you have the stub-ins for the service - and that can even be overhead or outside the building if underground).

Thanks for the added advice. At first thought, it seemed like adding expense without much benefit. I'll definitely check on the price. Would I need to add water from an outside source or could I just keep a storage tank inside the garage as my supply line and refill as needed with a garden hose?
Posted By: Allen Lane Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Thu Dec 22 2016 02:51 AM
Jay, 9' is not going to cut it for a lift and our old trucks. I'm looking at a direct lift and will need closer to 11'...which would be 12' in standard heights. Those metal direct prices look pretty good, just can't see what the structure is made of and how sturdy it is. Agree you should put a little 6X6 pad outside to get the compressor out there. Could also put gas cans, and flammable containers and maybe the parts washer if don't like the smell of varsol/etc. Fun project.
Posted By: klhansen Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Thu Dec 22 2016 03:39 AM
Thanks for the added advice. At first thought, it seemed like adding expense without much benefit. I'll definitely check on the price. Would I need to add water from an outside source or could I just keep a storage tank inside the garage as my supply line and refill as needed with a garden hose?

If you don't have a permanent water source, you could pressurize the system with a garden hose. All you need to do is maintain about 12-15 psi in the system and be sure to put a small hydropneumatic tank (bladder type Amtrol or similar brand) in the system. You'd just need to watch the pressure to be sure it was staying up. With a tight system, you should theoretically never lose any pressure. You shouldn't need to put antifreeze in it where you are either.
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Thu Dec 22 2016 05:19 AM
Jay, check and double check the height needed if you plan to ever put a lift in it. Again, double check the height needed and think of the vehicles you will be putting on it.

...I'm getting way ahead now but after its built I'd recommend sealing/painting the concrete. It is nice when cleaning up or doing anything else. Just a thought!
Posted By: MNSmith Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Thu Dec 22 2016 03:11 PM
Sealed concrete is excellent for cleaning up oily spills!
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Thu Dec 22 2016 03:18 PM
Guys,
All these comments are very much appreciated. I am benefitting from the collective wisdom here. The end result will be much better than if just my thoughts alone.
I contacted Hoover which is just a few miles from where I live. They just might get the job. They offer a complete package and can level the land and pour the concrete too.
Posted By: Allen Lane Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Thu Dec 22 2016 03:58 PM
Those Hoover buildings look much more like we use around here. I've now built 3 of them, so from experience, highly recommend...roof insulation directly under metal (even if you are going to insulate the building completely later). If you have any humidity at all, moisture will condense on the underside. Learned this the hard way. 2nd, put plastic under your slab so the slab doesn't sweat. 3rd, and this may be a Southern thing, it is definitely a pet peeve of mine, if he uses the bottom girt (usually a pressure treated 2X6 as the slab form board, the concrete must extend under the 2X6 out about 6 inches to keep ants primarily, but all little critters out of your building. I also put 2 large 1/2" galvanized j - bolts in the slab (between the 10' post sections) to tighten that lower girt and metal siding to the slab. You don't have to worry about that last one if you build the building "ON TOP" of the slab, like a conventional home structure. My 30X50 first shop didn't have this, I was a rookie, and after a big rain, I have huge ant mounds migrating up into the building. It's going to cost me to rectify after the fact.
Posted By: moparguy Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Thu Dec 22 2016 11:17 PM
Concerning lifts, there are low clearance lifts available that will work with a 9 or 10' ceiling. My lift is not one of those and I'm fortunate it worked in my shop and luck was on my side when I built the shop 30 years ago. The fact that it's 30' wide ( and the doors are on the long 40' side) allowed my lift with 12'4" legs (two post) to fit in one of three bays directly in the center or under the ridge of the shop. I have 13' from floor to ceiling at the ridge beams. The cab of a truck has sufficient clearance to do a full lift and with 15' from shop c/l to the door, the back of the bed has plenty of
clearance as well.

The roof pitch is 2 to 1.

It might be worth a phone conversation or two with the lift suppliers you're leaning toward and see what they advise.

I bought my USA made Rotary lift last year from a State Gov auction for $1050 (around 4k new) and paid $500 to have it installed. It had seen little use and is one of the best investments I've made. Should have bought when I was younger and motivated since at 65 my motivation to work on projects has waned a bit.

Added in edit: I mentioned lifts are available for low clearance ceilings. On reflection, even-though this is true you have to consider what you'll be lifting. With a truck, you need to add the height of the truck from bottom of frame to cab top (with a few inches safety zone) to whatever walk around underneath room you require to determine a minimum ceiling height me thinks.
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Fri Dec 23 2016 12:00 AM
OK, all this talk about having a lift makes me really want one. Really really want one. Not sure a building that tall will meet code. I'll have to see.

About the doors.
I need ideas.
Seems like a standard roll up garage door would get in the way of a lift. So I was thinking of a 2 door style. One left and one right that open to the outside. So the metal building would be framed for that style instead of the roll up kind.

Also, HERE is the HOOVER constrction details.
Looks like they use 29G steel Panel-Loc Plus. LINK HERE
Posted By: Flatblu4748 Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Fri Dec 23 2016 12:10 AM
Good info here about this the garage and lift. Anyone have a recommendation tho as to how thick a concrete floor should be for the lift? How is the lift secured to he floor?
Posted By: Grigg Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Fri Dec 23 2016 12:47 AM
Depends on the lift, they all have specifications for concrete and anchors, just ask or read the literature on their sites. Generally they're held down with anchor bolts or studs epoxied in the slab.
Posted By: moparguy Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Fri Dec 23 2016 12:49 AM
Every manufacture seems to have a slightly different spec on slab thickness. Many say 4" is good (Rotary 4 1/4" min.), some want 6" and Mohawk (the absolute Cadillac) requires 12". Best is to go to the web site for the lift you're considering and see what they require.

My slab was 6", however I had a crack exactly in the way. So, rented a walk behind concrete saw with water cooling, bought a $100 diamond blade and cut out a 4'x15' section.

When I got the old concrete out, I found a tree root under the crack...so much for the shade trees, I've since cut 3.

Dug down a little deeper, put down #4 rebar on 12" centers on little spacers and dug under the existing slab 6" then had 8" of 5k concrete pored.

I sprayed water on the concrete and kept it covered with plastic and wet for a 5 days and didn't install the lift for 4 weeks.

Lift is anchored with 3/4"x10" redhead style anchor bolts torqued to 150 lbs.

Well shoot, Grigg is quicker on the trigger than me.

Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Fri Dec 23 2016 02:03 AM
Haha! This is great! I will need to plan in floor pipes for heating so they are not in the way of the lag bolts for the lift!!!! Yikes.
Posted By: moparguy Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Fri Dec 23 2016 05:11 AM
Haha! This is great! I will need to plan in floor pipes for heating so they are not in the way of the lag bolts for the lift!!!! Yikes.

Lol, right-o, but it gets better. You really need to make sure the rebar that you'll install in the lift anchor area doesn't interfere with the anchor bolts as well.

Having the lift on hand when I laid my rebar, I used "CAD" to make sure I had no conflict with the rebar (...read "Cardboard Assisted Design" I made a cardboard template of the leg bases and adjusted the rebar to insure no conflict.

It has been suggested I'm a bit anal at times.
Posted By: MNSmith Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Fri Dec 23 2016 05:19 PM

About the doors.
I need ideas.
Seems like a standard roll up garage door would get in the way of a lift. So I was thinking of a 2 door style. One left and one right that open to the outside. So the metal building would be framed for that style instead of the roll up kind.

You don't want the standard garage style. You want the standard commercial style. http://www.dragonmetalindustries.com/resources/images/shared/rollupdoor.jpg

2 door works, but if you have a front apron, it'll have to be clear when you want to open them all the way.
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Fri Dec 23 2016 06:21 PM
Depending on where you put your lights a standard garage door, like mine, will block some of the light when the door is up. You may not be able to avoid but just a thought.....and the older we get the MORE light we need!!
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Fri Dec 23 2016 06:46 PM
Sliding barn doors. Out of the way for everything except the lawnmower when your mowing.
Posted By: Allen Lane Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Sat Dec 24 2016 04:09 AM
Depending on your arrangement I have to agree with Martin on the sliders. They are a fraction of the cost of a roll up, and if you have the building width they are very effective. I have built 5 hinged swing doors 10x11 and they would have cost a fortune to have a welder build them. I didn't want to give up any height for a rollup and am very pleased, but it was a bit of work to say the least.
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Sat Dec 24 2016 04:11 AM
So the barn door sliders use overhead trolley wheels that roll on a rail?
Posted By: Allen Lane Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Sat Dec 24 2016 04:23 AM
That's right Jay. I've got 3 pair of them on 2 buildings and they are very effective and inexpensive, and can be locked on the inside if you have a walk in door elsewhere.
Posted By: Grigg Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Sat Dec 24 2016 05:41 AM
If you have a tall ceiling a regular paneled garage door can lift vertically up the wall above the door, it need not turn and go horizontal (as with a low ceiling) blocking light and interfering with a lift.
I have an insulated door that does this, still probably not cheap but a good solution isn't always.
Posted By: MNSmith Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Sat Dec 24 2016 07:35 AM
Swing out doors I built for my garage. Three bullet hinges per side. Sub structure is 2 x 2 tubing with some strap and plating thrown in.

http://www.bunchobikes.com/mygaragedoor.jpg

Some of the inside structure.

http://www.bunchobikes.com/1952suburban164.jpg
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Sat Dec 24 2016 03:39 PM
I visited a metal building supplier near my home a month ago. I took a short video to show my wife. I just reviewed the video and it clearly shows the roll up doors are similar to THIS PICTURE. I think they will be really loud when going up and down. I also heard that they don't seal very well. I'd rather have swinging doors. They would be quiet.

I drool at the thought of a bigger garage than 22X26 but I doubt that will happen. THIS PICTURE is probably pretty close to what I'll end up with (side walk-in door and 2 windows added). Sorry if some of you cringe or become nauseated at the sight of such a small garage.
Posted By: MNSmith Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Sat Dec 24 2016 04:48 PM
Chain drives are loud. My previous picture of the shop with the electric doors, very quiet. And they seal great, whether they were chain lift or electric motor lift. They usually sit in a side track that has seals, and the bottom of the door has a rubber bulb seal. The top is sealed to the building.

Your size is slightly bigger than my garage. Always better than working outdoors in crappy weather. You just need to get creative with storage! In my previous garage picture, there is actually 4 balloon tire bikes hanging right above the door. I just have them tied up horizontally.
Posted By: Allen Lane Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Sun Dec 25 2016 03:33 AM
Jay, we do the best we can. A new shop is quite a treat, don't care how big it is. Unless the rollup doors that come with the kit limit you in some primary use (ie lift) I would keep them and change later. Dad has them on his shop, manual chain drive works well, seal great and look good. I know you are handy with a welder, but those swing out doors will consume much more more time than you would guess to look as "clean" as the package doors. Good luck !
Posted By: moparguy Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Sun Dec 25 2016 10:16 PM
Jay, a thought for the future. If you can do 14' (or 12') side walls, you gain mucho lift clearance, overhead shelving possibilities and most importantly....the option at some future date of adding 12' additions on either or both sides.

In my thinking the future possibility of expanding would be a major item to ponder.

Posted By: Hotrod Lincoln Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Tue Dec 27 2016 09:03 PM
I've got suspended sliding doors on one end of my shop, and I'm planning to add a piece of angle iron on the floor with the V shape pointing up and some V-groove rollers to guide the bottom of the doors. A good wind turns them into sails when they're only suspended from the top. The other end of the shop is going to get a roll-up accordion door. Two of the school shops I ran for 20-something years had them, and they're absolutely the best way to go. No overhead interference, and they last forever with minimum maintenance.
Jerry

Posted By: Jim Sears Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Wed Dec 28 2016 10:08 PM
I designed my current garage. 30 x 32 to do a lot of restoration work.
Important details: height is important!
I have a 2 post lift so I made it 16 feet to the rafters - lift extended so you can walk under it and a VW bus or pickup with a cap on top.
Main door height 12 ft high - truck or backhoe fits through the door.
Main door as wide as possible Mine is 20 ft wide (2 full bays)so much easier to drive things and reposition them if you don't have doors with posts in between.
Because of the height I was able to put a storage loft above the third bay (assembly bay off to the side, not drive in) 10ft bay height and 6 ft loft height. Very handy.
Lots of 8ft lights. Lots of wall outlets wall outlets, chest high, all around the walls.

Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Thu Dec 29 2016 02:31 AM
Jim,
I think 10' walls might be all I can do in my small back yard. The idea of a lift is fading fast.
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Thu Dec 29 2016 03:17 AM
Pour the pad oversize and put your lift outside the door.
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Thu Dec 29 2016 03:32 AM
Jay, Martin is on the money. I just paid $115 a yd for 26 yards of concrete so for a couple hundred dollars extra you can't go wrong while the "finishers" are there.....and until you actually put a lift up it'll still be handy.

Martin is spot on. I have visited several shops over the past year and there are quite a few that operate lifts outside. I've had the same idea for sometime now. Maybe, just maybe, next spring if I can find a good buy.
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Thu Dec 29 2016 04:19 AM
My garage already existed when we moved here. Had a 3 foot pad from the door out. Totally worthless other than helping keep weeds away from the overhead doors. So after 21 years I finally had a proper 4 car pad poured in front of the garage and then some. My 4 post drive on lift sets in place just beside the second door (so it would be in spot #3). It's been living outside for about 10 months with no problems. Used it yesterday to change the oil on the wife's 2016 Dodge Durango.

eeeek
Posted By: TPR57C Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Thu Dec 29 2016 08:10 AM
My friend has an outdoor 4 poster and now he put a roof on it and it goes up with the truck keeps it cool and dry and has good alround access good if you want to water blast something
Posted By: 32vld Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Thu Dec 29 2016 05:51 PM
With a wide enough garage the roof maybe be
high enough to have clearance for a lift. Talk
with the lift manufacturer and builder to see
what is needed to fit a lift. Two post lift
or go home.

Size. Never big enough. Never say you will
never own a fire truck or big bolt or will
only just own one car or truck at a time.

Figure a 14' width and 30' depth for each bay.
Plan on 2 bay minimum for where do you put the
body when you take it off the frame.

Last I can not afford as much garage as I want.
My house has an original 12 x 20 garage. My dad
added a second 12 x 28 garage along side the
original and a door opening was made to go from
one to the other. No lift but it has a LNG
hot air furnace.

Also have a 10' door height. My son's 46 2 ton
would fit in my big garage only if the garage
when built had a door high enough. Jeffrey
Posted By: Jim Sears Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Thu Dec 29 2016 06:21 PM
That's a good about an outside lift, weather limited though.
If you poured the pad extension behind the garage, put the lift there and put another overhead door in the back wall, you wouldn't have to look at it, drive over or under it every time you went in and out of the garage or listen to the wife complain about it.
I made the middle bay of mine drive through and it has been amazingly useful.
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Fri Dec 30 2016 02:26 AM
I confirmed the following about zoning in my residential neighborhood.

Max size is 600 SqFt
Max height is 40 feet.
I will plan on something near 24 X 26 and pour double that for the concrete.
Polished concrete inside the building.
Standard roll up doors (but not the overhead kind).
One side might get a 13 foot wall. That means a lift too!
Posted By: moparguy Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Fri Dec 30 2016 05:20 PM
The only question you'll have soon is, "Why did I wait so long"!!

Making the decision to do something (I've discovered) is the toughest part....Congratulations!!
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Fri Dec 30 2016 05:31 PM
Just talked to a lift retailer. Asymmetric 2 post is 135" wide. Needs 4" of concrete. Reinforce concrete with mesh instead of rebar. Needs 12 foot walls but might go 13 ft anyway.

Really, the delay was because I was initially given incorrect info from the town office on setback. They said 20 feet from rear property line. Can't do that and make anything look right.
New investigation shows about 5 feet from rear property line. I can live with that. Full steam ahead. With planning.
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Fri Dec 30 2016 05:35 PM
13' may be a special order. Most mfg use even numbers for their standard measurement. Might check with your choice company.
Posted By: moparguy Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Fri Dec 30 2016 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
13' may be a special order. Most mfg use even numbers for their standard measurement. Might check with your choice company.

True, however some company's buy coils of metal, then roll it and shear it to length. Sorta cutting out the middle man at the siding store.

Hopefully that'll be the case here. If not, still shouldn't be much of a challenge for them to get metal sheared to any length.
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Sat Dec 31 2016 03:52 AM
Jay, that's great news. Just let me know when the party is going to be. I want to be there! (Will be in Columbia tomorrow but time will not permit a visit...this time)
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Sat Dec 31 2016 03:56 AM
Tomorrow is set aside for putting up stakes with string to see how much back yard I'll lose. I'll take pics because it'll be fun to see how things progress.
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Sun Jan 01 2017 12:56 AM
I drove a few stakes in the ground and stretched out some string and then took pictures. The tan tent is about 9ft at the peek. If you look closely at the first pic, you can see the tip of the tape measure is at 13 feet. I'll probably only have 12 foot walls though.
The black trailer, tan tent and small shed will all get a new home after the garage is built.

After taking pics, I came in the house and did some freehand drawing.

I have 82 feet of yard behind the house. The garage will start about 10 feet from the rear and right property lines. I'm thinking 22 deep and 26 wide. The area outlined in green would get cement.

The tip of tape measure is 13 feet.

This is my favorite version. 12 foot walls.

This one is 26 deep and 22 wide with 13' walls. It shows the cement area. I prefer the 26 wide but this layout would give me a better layout for tool boxes.

Cement area. This is probably what I'll end up with. View from 10 feet to the right of the rear corner of house.
Posted By: Grigg Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Sun Jan 01 2017 02:41 AM
I think you mean concrete.
My grandfather was a concrete engineer and would explain:
"Cement is to concrete as flour is to bread."
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Sun Jan 01 2017 02:46 AM
When I was young, I watched too much Beverly Hillbillies when Jed used to say "Ellie Mae's outside over by the cement pond". LOL!
Yes I mean CONCRETE!
Posted By: klhansen Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Mon Jan 02 2017 03:17 AM
Good planning tools. thumbs_up

I'd go with the 26' wide plan to have some additional room for workbenches, etc. alongside the vehicles.

One comment. Does it rain in the southeast? wink
Plan on gutters or consider putting the doors on gable end (won't make that much more difference in roof truss span) so you won't get rain running down on the doors at the eaves.
Posted By: 32vld Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Mon Jan 02 2017 11:52 PM
I would go with 24' wide and go with 30' depth.

1 As I said before you will be able to fit a big bolt
in.

2 Have room to have a big bench in front of the truck
or car when working.

3 Room enough to use an engine hoist and keep the
truck or car inside the shop.
Jeffrey
Posted By: tclederman Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Mon Jan 02 2017 11:58 PM
I have a 32' deep garage with standard 24" (?) deep bench cabinets at the "rear" of the high stall. When I park my 18' bed COE in that bay, I cannot get to the bench cabinets. However, I have around 12" clearance at the front, between the door and the frame (I can squeeze through). When I put the front bumper on the frame, I'll lose a inch or two.
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Mon Jan 02 2017 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by 32vld
I would go with 24' wide and go with 30' depth.

1 As I said before you will be able to fit a big bolt
in.

2 Have room to have a big bench in front of the truck
or car when working.

3 Room enough to use an engine hoist and keep the
truck or car inside the shop.
Jeffrey

I would go that big if I could. Zoning says no bigger than 600SF. That's 24 X 25.

I was looking at lifts. Most lifts need 11.5 feet from outside footplate to outside opposite footplate.
That will barely squeeze into one side if I go 24 X 24. I might need to go 23 deep X 26 wide. (598SF).
Posted By: Mike B Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Wed Jan 11 2017 10:24 PM
For the size building your putting up I'd install one 18'w x 10't door, you'll never regret having it that big. Two side by side doors really limit your movement especially if you plan on putting the trailer inside.

Also, if you can, don't put the door tight to the corner, this limits the room needed to open the truck door that's against the side wall.

Don't forget, the measurements your talking about are outside dimensions, so you'll loose about 1' for the walls.

So you 23x26 is really about 22x25 inside. Put a 16' truck inside you are left with about 2' at the door and 4' at the back wall for tools and bench. Figure about 12' wide bays, 6' wide truck and 3' on each side for open doors and your done!

Mike B smile
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Wed Jan 11 2017 10:54 PM
Good idea about the bigger door instead of 2 doors. I'll look into it. Might be easier getting the stuff parked inside.
Posted By: Mike B Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Thu Jan 12 2017 08:32 PM
Just.make sure your door is wider than 16', it's very hard to park two vehicles side by side with a 16' door unless they are VW's...

Mike B smile
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Thu Jan 12 2017 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Mike B
Just.make sure your door is wider than 16', it's very hard to park two vehicles side by side with a 16' door unless they are VW's...

Mike B smile

Funny you mentioned 16 feet. The Metal Garage people just sent me an email that says their widest door is 16' and $1700. They suggested framing the door and installing my own as an option for a wider door. I don't have that skill set.

Update: I'm leaning towards one of the all metal garages 24 X 25. The concrete pad for the garage would be poured first. Smooth finish for easy cleanup.
Then have them put up the all metal garage.
Later come back and pour concrete with a "broom finish" for all the outside area so it's not slick and dangerous when it rains.

That plan means some delay as to when I can actually start using the garage because the outside concrete would need to cure before driving on it. That will give me some time to organize the inside. The lift would go in mid summer.
Posted By: Mike B Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Sat Jan 14 2017 10:52 PM
Have the builder frame a 8x18 door and call Home Depot for a price on a Copay garage door with the finish/windows/insulation of you choosing. They are very easy to install or ask them for the cost to install for you.

Mike B smile
Posted By: Chev4t6 Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Sun Jan 15 2017 12:26 AM
I would try to stay within the standard size door, 9x7, 9x8,
8x7, 8x8, or 16x7. Going larger than these sizes will cost a lot more. First number is the width second is the height. I do agree with the one door aspect. A 24' garage width
leaves basically 4' on each side. I would install a 36" personnel front or side as desired. Just my thoughts. Have fun and good luck
Dan
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Garage - What shall I build? - Sun Jan 15 2017 01:14 AM
I'm so glad I'm taking time to get info about this project. I just learned something that bothers me somewhat. All the metal garage builders show pictures of the outside of their buildings, but rarely show the inside. It appears to be that ALL these metal garages have a diagonal brace where the roof meets the wall. I guess I could call it a brace at the eaves. I am afraid this will limit the use of a lift since I barely have room for a lift anyway.

THIS VIDEO on YouTube shows what I was thinking of building, but now I am more inclined to build something more like THIS SECOND VIDEO. But mine would be bigger than the second video.
© The Stovebolt Forums