Stovebolt.com

Truck/Car lifts

Posted By: 2-Ton

Truck/Car lifts - Wed Mar 09 2016 07:23 PM

I'am thinking about getting a truck/car lift.
Anyone have any preference over a two post or four post lift?
Lift capacity?
My preference right now is a two post rated at 10,000 pounds. But I would have to cut out the shop floor and pour a thicker base. It's about five inches with rebar now and they say you need at least ten inches.
All thoughts are welcome, pro's and con's.

Thanks
Don
Posted By: Justhorsenround

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Wed Mar 09 2016 09:59 PM

Two post lifts make working on wheels and suspension parts along with exhaust easier. More costly to install. Require getting down on your knees to set the arms and setting the stand offs can be tricky at times. They require you to be more safety conscious.

Four post lifts can be free standing and easier to position the vehicle on. You have to be creative or purchase the air/hydrolic jacking attachment to get the wheels up for work. In my opinion they are safer for the hobby user.

I like my 4 post lift for the convienence of installing the wheels and moving it around as needed.
Posted By: Grigg

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Wed Mar 09 2016 10:36 PM

I've researched them a few times and keep coming back to a Mohawk 12,000 lb two post lift as the first choice and a Rotary 12,000 lb as second choice. Both brands also offer a 15 or 16,000 lb which are mostly the same physical size as the 12,000lb versions. I wouldn't mind either.

http://www.mohawklifts.com/wp/automotive-lifts/2-post-lifts/lmf-12-tp-16/

http://www.rotarylift.com/Lifts/SPO12/

They're both expensive new but on several occasions I've seen them for sale used and appeared in good shape for a fraction of the new cost. If you have time then searching for a used one might pay off. I gave up looking for now until I'm really ready to buy one and install it.

Check the concrete specs recommended for the lift you do decide on because your existing slab may be adequate.

Grigg
Posted By: Hotrod Lincoln

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Wed Mar 09 2016 10:49 PM

I started out using single and dual cylinder in-ground lifts, and when above-ground systems came along it was the best thing since sliced bread! I've used 2-post, 4-post and scissors lifts, and unless you're doing a lot of wheel alignment, the 2-post is the best idea. Check with your local commercial lift distributor- - -most of them will have slightly-used lifts they have repo'ed from shops that go out of business, and they are usually willing to sell and install them at a bargain price. For the hobby-type user, you don't need the latest and greatest thing on the market, just something that's safe and reliable.
Jerry

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Thu Mar 10 2016 02:29 AM

Thank's guys!
I really like the two pole lifts for more access to the under carriage.
12,000 pounder would be sweet and safe for the old red Ferd diesel.
Heck. it would also lift a Goldwing.
Thinking now about some steel mounting plates instead of cutting and digging out the floor to pour a thicker base.
1/2 inch plate and big enough to make a big foot print connected to both posts? Anchored in at least 12 places with 3/8 to 1/2 anchor bolts. I like overkill for safety.
It still may be a day dream, but you never know what may come along.

Thanks
Don
Posted By: Hotrod Lincoln

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Thu Mar 10 2016 03:21 AM

If you approximately double the footprint of the lift columns with a 1/2" steel plate, that should be safe enough, and probably less expensive than digging up the floor. That's what I plan to do with the 6" thick floor of my shop when I install a twin-post lift soon.
Jerry

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Thu Mar 10 2016 01:25 PM

Have an engineer look over your 1/2" plate idea. The lift manufacturer might help out. I'd be concerned 1/2" might not be stiff enough to add much effective footprint.

My plan is to remove a section of concrete as wide as the whole lift and front to back a few feet more than the bases. Dig out under it for a well overkilled reinforced concrete slab/block dovetailed under the remaining slab. This would be the cleanest solution and is recommended by the lift manufactures.
Posted By: MNSmith

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Thu Mar 10 2016 02:58 PM

I've worked with 2 post in ground, 3 post in ground, 65,000 lb cantilever, 2 post above ground and 2 post side by side in ground. My favorite to date is the 2 post side by side in ground. Takes up less space and I can drive over them if I need to. I had to price the 2 post side by side in ground once. Installed for the 10,000 lb Rotary was $2500. Something to think about is you are going to cut concrete anyway. I'll try to remember to take some pictures today.

BTW, drive over is important in my shop as I am 6 bays, 12 doors, almost all drive through. Two aren't drive through as I made them machine/storage/fabricating areas.

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Thu Mar 10 2016 03:10 PM

Grigg
What about some kind of trusses/gussets welded/clamped on the front and rear of the lift? Lets say 2 to 3 foot each way.
They would be a tripping hazard, but I would think that would really spread out a firm foot print.
If I go the concrete replacement, I would probably go at least six foot on the front and rear and 10+ inches thick with plenty of rebar.
When it comes to anybody's life. I really like, the over kill way. Pun intended.

Don
Posted By: 1953 panel

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Thu Mar 10 2016 11:49 PM

It's good to consider the floor thickness and all that. What about the compressive strength of the concrete, that's just as important. It could be 2500 psi or it could be 5000 psi, big difference. Also what is under the floor, compacted aggregate or loose fill?

As for the lift itself, I put in a 9000 lb 2 post lift. I have been very happy with it. Before we poured the floor, I dug down 3' square x 10" thick under the posts and added rebar.
Posted By: Gooberdog

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Tue Mar 15 2016 04:22 PM

Check the lift manufacturer's requirements. When I got my BendPak 10K 2 post they only required a 4" slab though it needed to be 12'x15'. My floor was bad but not bad enough to replace. They suggested 3'x3' piers 10" thick tied into existing slab. I think the 2 post gives better accessibility over the four post.
Chuck
Posted By: pvfjr

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Tue Mar 15 2016 09:33 PM

I'm all about 2-post lifts, wouldn't allow a 4-post to take up space in my garage. If someone gave me a 4-post....I'd sell it immediately.

I just got done redoing my floor for a used 2-post I got at auction. It's a monster, I'm guessing at least 12K. My slab ended up being 3-4" variable thickness with light cracking, but had NO reinforcement--no mesh, no rebar. So I cut 40" x 40" squares out of my slab, dug down 18", and dug an extra 4" horizontally under the existing slab. So the footings come out to 48x48x18, but only look like 40x40 from the top. I also used rebar to tie into the old slab.

It was a LOT of work, but completely worth it. I did it the hard way (the cheap way, rather), and only used a skilsaw, diamond blade, 10 lb sledge, shovel, and HF cement mixer for the job. I'm glad I went to the extra effort required to make a 2-post lift work in my shop. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Posted By: John Milliman

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Tue Mar 15 2016 09:46 PM

Any other recommendations for a 4-post lift?

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Tue Mar 15 2016 10:20 PM

John, as I stated in my first post the advantage of the 4 poster is not having to crawl around on your knees to set the arms. For us more mature folks that's a big plus.

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Wed Mar 16 2016 01:32 AM

I hear that, Martin. I may not be as mature as some but my knees are certainly getting there quick.

I also very much like the idea of storing a vehicle above another. The 2-posters don't seem to be good for that.
Posted By: LONGBOX55

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Wed Mar 16 2016 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Check with your local commercial lift distributor- - -most of them will have slightly-used lifts they have repo'ed from shops that go out of business,

Watch for local Sears stores that are closing, too. They practically give away the equipment out of the auto centers. Word of caution, though, they do tend to go with bidder that bid on the entire shop over bidder that want only certain equipment, even if the bid is higher. The local auto center sold all of the equipment for $20k, and that included a practically brand new 12,000 lb rotary 2 post lift and a 1 year old $100k+ Hunter Hawkeye Elite aligner w/lift.
Posted By: Jim53066

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Wed Mar 16 2016 02:00 AM

I did a lot of research before finding my lift and I never heard of any that required 10 inches of concrete.

My rotary 2 post 10,000 lb only requires 4 to 5 inches from what I recall.

Jim
Posted By: Allen Lane

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Wed Mar 16 2016 02:14 AM

After a lot of back and forth, think I too am going to go with a 4 post. One of my first jobs during high school was at a Goodyear tire shop and the combination of getting down on your knees to find the frame, it was always a little sketchy being underneath one. You guys that made a real living at it are I'm sure a lot more comfortable under one. I've seen the 4 post displays at mecum auctions with the rolling cross pieces that will hold a small bottle jack for taking off the wheels. Probably only 2 wheels at time, definitely not all 4, but a compromise for stability (at least in my mind), and ease of getting the vehicle in the air in a one man operation. Also as Martin says, with the wheel kit, you can even move the 4 post around if needed. Don't plan on moving it much, but at least have the option.

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Wed Mar 16 2016 02:27 AM

All depends on what you're doing and what you want.

In my experience a 4 post can be handy for some things like storing a vehicle and basic maintenance.
The downside is they're in the way most all the time either up or down unless you have a very generous sized shop.

The two post might be more trouble to set up but for a hobby shop how often will you be lifting a vehicle?
When you do use it it's a pleasure, most everything is exposed and easy to get to. Worth that little bit of trouble to set up I think.
Smaller footprint in the shop.

I suggest working under one or both types, check out the options first hand and see what actually works for you.

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Wed Mar 16 2016 02:51 AM

Well basic maintenance alone will not cut it Grigg. Hope that isn't the case. I can't see why you couldn't use it for all underneath drivetrain work, brake lines, exhaust, etc. I also plan to use it to get body panels up at a comfortable level for sanding, filler work. We just had the transmission rebuilt in my son's truck, and the shop did all the work up on a 4 post. What am I missing?

Also want to put the tractor on it to get the 3 point implements up at a comfortable level for swapping out blades and arena drag repairs.

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Wed Mar 16 2016 03:23 AM

As promised, pictures of the lifts I use:

12,000 lb, 2 post, side by side, in ground. As I said, when I priced this a few years back, it was $2500 installed. http://www.bunchobikes.com/lift1.jpg

60,000 lb, 2 post, in ground. http://www.bunchobikes.com/lift2.jpg

75,000 lb, cantilever. This has a double jack that rolls on the rails under the lights. This way you can lift an axle and remove wheels.
http://www.bunchobikes.com/lift3.jpg
http://www.bunchobikes.com/lift4.jpg

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Wed Mar 16 2016 03:46 AM

That 12,000 in ground looks sweet.
$2500 installed is a number I can live with.
It does not take up much shop space either.

Don

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Wed Mar 16 2016 04:53 AM

I realize they are local to me, but these are the folks that gave me the quote back then: http://www.ryrinc.com/index.html

These are the guys that installed all the lifts you see in the pictures: http://www.pacificlift.com/home.html I was out of the loop on this deal except for placement in the shop.

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Wed Mar 16 2016 04:56 AM

I have 2 of those 12,000 pounders. The second one is on the other side of the wall where you see the fluid reels.

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Wed Mar 16 2016 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Allen Lane
Well basic maintenance alone will not cut it Grigg. Hope that isn't the case. I can't see why you couldn't use it for all underneath drivetrain work, brake lines, exhaust, etc...

You can do all sorts of things, but I found the platforms to be in the way a lot. You have great access to the very center of the vehicle but not so much the stuff over the platforms. This may not bother you.

Like I said, neither design is bad just make sure what you get suits your style and desires.
I'll have a 2 post one day because it seems like fewer compromises for what I want to use a lift for.

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Sat Mar 19 2016 02:08 AM

Woo hoo, one of my neighbors who will be doing the concrete floor in my pole barn stopped by this evening to discuss the plan and it looks like we'll be doing about an 8-inch with rebar section in the center bay (where I plan to put the lift) and about 4-5 inches for the rest of it with wire reinforcing. Should be done before Homecoming!

I'm planning for a 4-post 12k lb lift. Sound right?
Posted By: tclederman

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Sat Mar 19 2016 02:15 AM

What make/model, John?

Thanks,

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Sat Mar 19 2016 11:15 AM

Haven't decided on that, yet, Tim.

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Sat Mar 19 2016 01:54 PM

John, your back and knees will thank you.

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Sat Mar 19 2016 03:31 PM

Martin, what is your setup for taking tires off the 4 post?
Posted By: Ssrjim

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Sat Mar 19 2016 10:47 PM

I lifted the truck enough to slip some jack stands under the axles then lowered the lift. 4 wheels off the ground just like that.

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Sun Mar 20 2016 04:02 AM

I have the sliding jacking plate and a 4 ton bottle jack. One wheel at a time. Sometimes you have to get creative to find a spot to get a full stroke of the jack handle. Air/hydrolic bottle jack eliminates that problem.

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Sun Mar 20 2016 05:44 AM

Anybody ever give thought to tall jack stands to free an axle to remove wheels??

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/2-Ton-Heavy-Duty-Tripod-Stand-TALL

http://www.dannmar.com/dannmar-products/manspace-line/tri-pod-jack-stand.asp

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Sun Mar 20 2016 09:27 PM

Yup, just haven't gotten to the purchase. They do make it where you have to lift the wheels up quite a distance to put them back on. If you have a bad back it could be a problem.
Posted By: Mike B

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Thu Apr 07 2016 05:06 PM

Here's a picture of my Tow Truck on my 12k 4-post lift.

http://s160.photobucket.com/user/st...2002_zpsdz70l3we.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5

Another down side to the 4-post is you always have to duck under the ramps every time you need another tool. I don't use the lift as much as I thought I would, it's just simpler to work on the floor for me. I mostly work on big trucks so floor clearance is not an issue.

Mike B smile
Posted By: just-a-hacker

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Thu Apr 07 2016 05:57 PM

Mike B ,
nice set up, must be a tall ceiling for that boom to clear when on lift

I do not have a lift, but when I helped with the race car,the lift was nice to have,but it also could get in the way at times.

I'm still not positive I would use it enough ,although being able to park under can be helpful
Posted By: tclederman

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Thu Apr 07 2016 06:06 PM

Mike B,

What brand/model lift? Although, I think my situation is like yours regarding a need for a lift.

What is the material covering your ceiling?

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Thu Apr 14 2016 06:18 AM

I only got the lift because I was at the right place at the right time...a Midus Muffler Shop was relocation to a new building and wasn't taking any of their lifts with them. So by word of mouth they sold all the lifts for $500 each in about 15 min. I took the only 4-post that was set up for alignment work and a buddy took two of the 2-post. The owner told me to come back the next Sunday to disassemble it and haul it out. When my son and I got there Sunday the owner said they were slow on Friday so he had his mechanics take it down. He set the entire lift on my car trailer with his fork lift and we were gone in 15 minutes...great deal!

I don't remember what make the lift is...I'll try to look next time I'm out there, it was a national brand.

I have a 16" high ceiling that has white ribbed sheet metal (just like roofing tin). It's screwed to the trussed and then I had 14" of blown fiberglass insulation installed on top of it.

Mike B smile

Re: Under lift stands that fold up? - Thu Nov 03 2016 09:31 PM

INTERESTING,
I would probably go with the 4 post drive on.

I have a vivid memory of a car that fell off the arms on a 2 post.
(brand new car,new undercoating didn't grip)

I guess I am not sure about wanting 15ft ceilings.
(heating)

Re: Under lift stands that fold up? - Fri Nov 04 2016 03:58 AM

40' ceilings. The heaters work fine. http://www.bunchobikes.com/lift2.jpg

New 2 post/4 arm works great, too.

Re: Under lift stands that fold up? - Fri Nov 04 2016 06:08 PM

Well ,barn won't be that big

I did like the looks of the inground lift, since I am building new it might be an option

Re: Under lift stands that fold up? - Sat Nov 05 2016 12:51 AM

10 years ago I was qouted, for that 10,000 lb in-ground, installed, $2500, new. Of course, we waited 8 years so we could pay more.
Posted By: wahl4m

Re: Under lift stands that fold up? - Sat Dec 24 2016 01:05 AM

i bought a "advantage lift " last summer at"good guys in des moines show " 11,000 # 4 post lift -I REALLY LIKE IT !!! looked for years -my knees are so bad !! anyway it was a extra tall & wide ! i also bought the big air over axle lift and a small bag lift -both are very handy -and i have no problem doing any thing on the rack !! maybe the only draw back is -the 2 post lifts -do lift the vehicle bodies off very easy !! you know the 4 post set-up does not bother me on floor space taken up ?? it always seemed like there was something setting there all the time anyway -plus i got an extra parking spot for a truck or car !!plus i have layed a piece of pltwood down and used it for a big lay-out and paint table !! go -online and punch in "advantage lifts " lots of pics/videos-tech help-mine was bought from the company in the minneapolis -st. paul minn area ,my son bought a 90000# lift from "greg smitth" warehouse in grimes iowa -its nice a little thinner steel and posts are smaller BUT IT WAS A $2600.00 LIFT & BEING LOCAL TO DES MOINES IA. AREA -no shipping !!
Posted By: Lugnutz

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Mon Jan 02 2017 01:15 AM

I just read all of these posts. As you may know, I am building an extra garage in the back yard and I want a lift. My oldest son is a mechanic and for his father to build a garage without a lift would be a disgrace. nono

I see advantages to both styles. I will probably get a 2 post lift. Rotary brand seems good but I saw a web page that compared BendPak to Rotary and I liked Bendpak the most. Anyone familiar with ATLAS or other brands?

I think I might prefer a symmetrical lift rather than the asymmetric. What's your opinion on that?
Posted By: Achipmunk

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Mon Jan 02 2017 02:03 AM

Jay, there are some two post lifts that are both symmetrical and asymmetrical. Every shop I've been in have "varied" opinions. I think it depends mainly on the use you expect to get out of it.
Sounds like you have a good plan. Go for it.

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Mon Jan 02 2017 03:16 AM

I spent about an hour talking to the advantage guy at the Mecum auction in Houston last year. They sure do have a nice well built solid product. Having spent much time on my back recently, a lift sure would have been nice. Was waiting until I get the final floor in but may have to accelerate. Going with a 4 post with a pneumatic jack on it so I can raise front or rear tires, and also will have ability to move around as needed in the shop.

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Mon Jan 02 2017 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Allen Lane
Going with a 4 post with a pneumatic jack on it so I can raise front or rear tires, and also will have ability to move around as needed in the shop.

So the 4 post version can roll around on wheels? I want more info please.

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Mon Jan 02 2017 03:30 AM

Note the wheels Jay on the attached link. Look around on the site for the jack and tray options. Also if you call 'em, they can work with you on price. Just put the package you want together, and negotiate in the end. My guy was in Dallas, but sure they have a location closer to you.
lifts with wheels

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Mon Jan 02 2017 03:42 AM

Wow! Cool stuff. I'm watching their video about installing the 2 post lift. I'm getting a good education.

I just looked at the website for Mohawk. LINK Whew! Built in USA and 25 year warranty.

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Mon Jan 02 2017 04:24 AM

The tray is heavy angle iron and is capable of holding a jack. It is also a good place for the drain pans when changing fluids. The wheels allow you to move the rack around the shop or driveway empty or with a vehicle on it. If you go with a 4 post lift, get the bigger capacity lift (10,000 or 14,000 lbs) you will be happy you did.
secret

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Mon Jan 02 2017 02:16 PM

If you've never worked on a vehicle on a lift, especially a 4 post, then I suggest you find a friend or somewhere you can use one for a few different jobs first.

I worked in a shop with a 2 post and a 4 post and the 4 post got used primarily for storing another vehicle, none of us liked it much for working on, it seemed to always be more or less in the way for whatever you were trying to work on.

A 2 post lift has very little in the way while working on the vehicle either lowered or raised, and very little of the lift in the way in the shop with or without a vehicle on it.

Don't buy a lift on looks and ideas, try some out for real before deciding what type you like.

Grigg

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Mon Jan 02 2017 03:55 PM

What Grigg says has merit except when you reach that age(yes, I'm there) that you can't get up and down off your knees without a lot of unneeded pain. It is a bit of a hassle to work around/under but if it saves me a few years on the hip/knee replacement then it's worth it.
Posted By: 32vld

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Mon Jan 02 2017 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Grigg
If you've never worked on a vehicle on a lift, especially a 4 post, then I suggest you find a friend or somewhere you can use one for a few different jobs first.

I worked in a shop with a 2 post and a 4 post and the 4 post got used primarily for storing another vehicle, none of us liked it much for working on, it seemed to always be more or less in the way for whatever you were trying to work on.

Grigg

Back in the day 4 posts were a pain to work on.
Many repairs required the wheels to come off. With
a 2 post it was nice to sneak a long 3/8 extension
to get at the spark plugs through the wheel well.
When the car was lifted by the frame so the wheels
would hang down.

The wheels do not hang down on a 4 post so you wound
up scraping your hands to get at the spark plugs or the
A.I.R pipes and other fun things.

Yes the 4 posts come with a sliding jack option.
What people that sell the 4 posts leave out is how
at when all four wheels have to come off you
will still wind up having to leave which ever end
that you jack up first left on jack stands so you
can jack up the other end.

Crazy to put a car on a lift to then use jack stands
too get the wheels off, plus the money that the lift
cost.

As to asymmetrical and symmetrical lifts. With
shorter front arms the car sat farther back on the
lift so there would be more room to open the front
doors before the doors would hit the lift post.
Jeffrey

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Tue Jan 03 2017 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by 32vld

As to asymmetrical and symmetrical lifts. With
shorter front arms the car sat farther back on the
lift so there would be more room to open the front
doors before the doors would hit the lift post.
Jeffrey

Probably why I like my two post, in ground. No hitting the lift post.

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Thu Jan 05 2017 02:54 PM

Agree with Martin, I've used both and plan on using my 4 Post on many different vehicles including ZTR Mower, Trailers, Tractor and cars/trucks. Don't think I would be able to have as much versatility with a 2 post. To use the 2 post, the thought of crawling around on my knees to get the 4 supports lined up on each frame is enough to seal the deal for me, twice....getting on and getting off. I didn't like doing it when I was 18, and sure don't like it now. Pretty clear, once the vehicle is in the air the 2 post gives you much more access. My local muffler shop has 4 bays, each bay working on multiple vehicles each day, and all have 4 post. Don't like having to have another lift to work on wheels/brakes...but for me a willing tradeoff to stay off my knees.

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Tue Jan 10 2017 02:04 AM

I thought the EPA was getting rid of the in ground's
because of them leaking.

Muffler shops don't take the wheels off to do
exhaust work. Jeffrey

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Tue Jan 10 2017 02:06 AM

Any way I am just jealous of all of the guy's that
have a lift at home. Some day, lottery or power ball.
Jeffrey

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Mon Jan 23 2017 01:50 AM

I have looked at just about every lift website searching for a quality lift that will work well in a shop with a 12 foot wall.
If I put the lift in the middle of my FUTURE 24 X 25 shop, then I can make just about any of them fit.

Putting the lift on the right half of the shop creates a significant challenge. If I put the upright close to the wall, then I won't even have enough room to work. Another thing. the spec sheets for most of the lifts (Challenger, Atlas, Rotary, Bendpak, Advantage, etc.) show the total height as 12" + 1" = 145" and ask for an additional 2" from any other structure (roof). That means I need to move the post at least 1 foot from the wall (because the roof pitch is 12 to 3).

I think I found the BEST lift for my FUTURE garage. It's a certified 10K lift made by the same company that makes Rotary and other brands.
Derek Weaver W-Pro10 2 post lift
The price is very nice for a certified lift and it can be installed with a narrow versus wider stance and a shorter versus taller height too. I can use the narrow and short configuration and gain another foot of working distance from the wall.

I'm thinking the narrow configuration will work well for all my needs and I'll still have 99" of drive through distance.

They have 9K non-certified lifts and 10K non-certified lifts too.

Now I just need to choose ORANGE or BLUE.

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Mon Jan 23 2017 03:45 AM

That's a sharp lift Jay.

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Mon Jan 23 2017 04:53 AM

Lugnutz,

What is the new garage going to be used for? Will it just be a mechanics shop or will you store stuff in it as well? Your 24x25 shop will get REAL small with a lift in there, putting it outside on a pad as others have mentioned will let you maximize your limited inside space.

Mike B smile

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Mon Jan 23 2017 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mike B
Lugnutz,

What is the new garage going to be used for? Will it just be a mechanics shop or will you store stuff in it as well? Your 24x25 shop will get REAL small with a lift in there, putting it outside on a pad as others have mentioned will let you maximize your limited inside space.

Mike B smile

I sure wish I could build a bigger shop, but zoning will not allow for more than 600 SF.

The shop will be mainly used for storage. I'd also like a place to work and keep stuff out of the weather.

Stage one is to put the shop on the concrete pad.

Stage 2: I'll pour a second load of concrete outside the shop so I don't have to park or drive in the dirt as much. It will also give me an area to a floor jack or roll an engine hoist around if needed although I'd probably do that inside the shop too.

Stage 3: I'll mock up some wood to make a "fake lift" and see if the lift will be a practical addition.

However, PRIOR to Stage 1, I need to plan the floor of the shop (first pour) as though I were going to get a lift so that the concrete is properly reinforced where the lift will be.

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Mon Jan 23 2017 02:50 PM

Have you looked at Mohawk lifts yet? They are not tall and the limit on height is clearance with your lifted vehicle to the ceiling, not the lift it's self. they have a hydraulic line that needs to go from one side to the other, this can even be put in the floor, or made and bent to follow your ceiling.
http://www.mohawklifts.com/wp/automotive-lifts/2-post-lifts/system1/

They're not cheap new but in my opinion look to be the most robust of the lift choices, and made in the USA, and can be found used pretty regularly at better prices if you have time to shop.

I've seen lifts outside and I think that's much less than ideal. If the weather is bad you're limited, if the project is long and weather comes you're out of luck again. The lift deteriorates in the weather too.
If a lift is important and you're building the new building with one in mind I'd sure put it inside, even if it cramps space a little at least you can use it on your schedule not dictated by weather or seasons.

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Mon Jan 23 2017 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Grigg
Have you looked at Mohawk lifts yet? They are not tall and the limit on height is clearance with your lifted vehicle to the ceiling, not the lift it's self. they have a hydraulic line that needs to go from one side to the other, this can even be put in the floor, or made and bent to follow your ceiling.
http://www.mohawklifts.com/wp/automotive-lifts/2-post-lifts/system1/

They're not cheap new but in my opinion look to be the most robust of the lift choices, and made in the USA, and can be found used pretty regularly at better prices if you have time to shop.

The Mohawk salesman sent me a quote. That Mohawk lift is really nice and built to last. The Mohawk lift would easily fit in my shop but NOT fit so easily in my budget. A new one is just a bit over $6200. I'd buy a used one if I could find one. I'll keep looking and maybe I will.

Just about all the clear floor 2 post lifts have an overhead bar. Some have a safety switch on the bar and some don't. Either way, most of them require 145" plus want an extra 2" for clearance. The Weaver lift in my earlier post is a few inches shorter but when lifted will still give me the 6 feet I need under the vehicle.
Posted By: moparguy

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Tue Jan 24 2017 02:29 AM

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/2-Post-Lift/Baseplate-2-Post-Lifts

Guy I know has the 10k (BP10000), it works with a low clearance ceiling he it lifts his 450 Ford truck with it and stores his Cobra on it.

The 9K version is pretty nice.

Didn't see that any of the Atlas BP units were certified.
Posted By: DippinBob

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Tue Jun 11 2019 02:27 AM

All,

I wanted to say thanks for all the help, advice and opinions on this subject. I've opted for a 4-post lift for two of the reasons pointed out: 1.) I've got a failed knee replacement so I cannot kneel down or squat. Getting down on the ground is an exercise in pain and the less I have to do the less grumpy I will be. Removing some of these bolts is already going to challenge that boundary. 2.) It has castors so I can move it around inside my shop. When I got started a couple weekends ago I had no intention of spending money on the lift. It took me three days to recover and only one day to change my mind.

Thanks again for the guidance.
Posted By: SavannahDog

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Wed Jun 26 2019 12:30 PM

Anybody seen the lift sold by Northern Tool. It's short, got a 45" lift. And it's portable. This is nice in my Shop under my house got a 9 foot ceiling.
It's made by MaxJax.
Posted By: Detroit Iron

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Tue Sep 03 2019 08:33 AM

In all the years I've worked on with a lift. Most of it has been under a single ram in ground lift (probably alludes to my age wink ). I found dragging the 4 arms out only slightly annoying. My other experience was on the (above ground) 4 post lifts. What I didn't like, over the single, was needing to drive a rig onto the lift (up the ramps onto the lift). I also didn't care for the nuisance of using bottle jacks when the tires were in the way. However, it was superior, when working on the drive train.
I think for me, and overall convenience of doing most anything on a car. I'd probably go with an in-ground 2 post lift. OTOH, if price was an issue. I'd probably go with a grease pit. Speaking of; I'm surprised nobody even mentioned a grease pit. smile

Chris

Re: Truck/Car lifts - Tue Sep 03 2019 05:55 PM

As long as the vehicle isn't running while you're in the pit!
© 2020 The Stovebolt Forums