Stovebolt.com

What was the last tool you bought?

Posted By: MNSmith

What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Jan 10 2013 09:45 PM

A couple of months ago, I got a Snap On 1/2" drive, 250 ft lb. torque wrench.
Posted By: GIJOE298

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Jan 10 2013 09:49 PM

Couple weeks ago, I bought a slide hammer from HF. Will see how it works when the weather warms up.
Posted By: LONGBOX55

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Jan 10 2013 09:51 PM

About a month ago, I bought a Solus Ultra scan tool.
Posted By: Achipmunk

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Jan 10 2013 10:16 PM

...bought a serpentine installation tool with attachements....and bought an angle grinder....to go a long with my straight one.
Posted By: Old 'Burb Lover

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Jan 10 2013 10:38 PM

A air-over-hydraulic bottle jack because I'm tired of pumping a handle 15 or 20 or umpteen times to raise the truck enough to work under.
Posted By: oldgoaly

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Jan 12 2013 01:02 AM

a nice Dewalt die grinder, just to into places I could not before.
Posted By: don stocker

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Jan 12 2013 07:47 AM

A good magnifying glass, darn bifocals just don't cut the mustard on the really small stuff.
Posted By: Redlegs48

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Jan 12 2013 05:11 PM

Last tool I bought was an adjustable reamer and pilot for Kingpin bushing.
Posted By: jremig

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Jan 13 2013 12:57 PM

Last tool i bought was a husky 1/2 in drive air impact set w/ die grinder, air ratchet, and gravity feed paint sprayer. Figured I could'nt go wrong for the set at 75 bucks

Joe
Posted By: goneagain

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Feb 03 2013 10:26 AM

Last tool I bought was O/A tanks. Boy they don't give them away.I already had a torch.
Posted By: 1953 panel

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Feb 07 2013 11:32 AM

Complete set of impact sockets.
Posted By: diseasel

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Feb 08 2013 09:42 AM

my very first skil saw
Posted By: CASO

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Feb 08 2013 10:05 AM

Conture finder.
Posted By: Flxible

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Feb 08 2013 10:20 AM

Makita 16" scroll saw
Posted By: 53moneypit

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Feb 09 2013 12:59 PM

Recently added some table saw goodies for the woodshop. OH, and a little pancake compressor so I can use the nailers/staplers over at the house. A lot more convenient.
Posted By: MPandC

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Feb 09 2013 09:03 PM

Bought a cross pein body hammer to add to the collection

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2896717&postcount=40
Posted By: 63 C-10 Carolina Fleetside

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Feb 09 2013 09:53 PM

Bought a new 26 gallon 1.5 Craftsman Air Compressor today.
Posted By: Hankdogg

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Feb 10 2013 05:39 PM

Picked up a Empire 24" square to help with laying off some sheet metal for a bench top. Killing time while the wife was shopping, went in Sears and wandered up on it...made in the U.S.A. too. I hadn't been a Sears store in a couple of years. Last I remembered reading, they were going with China made product. Guess I got lucky smile
Posted By: Tiny

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Feb 11 2013 06:36 PM

The last tool I bought was a cheap chinese made 9/16" combo wrench to cut up into a flare nut wrench to take the light switch out of my '38.
Posted By: Grigg

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Feb 12 2013 09:03 AM

A Giddings and Lewis No. 25RT Horizontal Boring Machine
https://picasaweb.google.com/118082...izontalBoringMachine#5843688137290253746
Posted By: Freq2002

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Feb 12 2013 11:11 PM

Just ordered this one. ]Kreg Tool Boxx Master Set

Before that, more tools for fixin on aircraft.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Feb 13 2013 07:08 AM

I got a Kreg set many years ago. Still haven't used it yet!
Posted By: Stranger

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Feb 13 2013 09:38 PM

I bought a new Steel Glide tool box. Top and bottom. 4ft.8in. length, 18in. deep, 5ft. tall, 24 total drawers. I can actually find the tool I'm looking for now!
Posted By: 48bigtrucks

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Feb 14 2013 08:27 PM

I got The Mini-Inductor. Works well, a lot better than using a torch!!!
Scott
Posted By: Jim Bow

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Feb 25 2013 10:55 PM

Was going to buy a Kreg pocket hole jig. Looked at a couple of woodworking sites and read good things about the Harbor Freight version. It's cast aluminum, and very adjustible, plus it combines two sets of guides so you can do thick and thin pieces.

I'm very pleased.
Posted By: Denny Graham

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Feb 26 2013 05:25 AM

A set of thin Craftsman tappet wrenches this winter. I wanted a
full set of thin wrences but I'm ashamed to keep them in with
my other tools because they are the chinciest piece of crap
I've ever been stuck with.
They aren't forged like the old thin Bonney tappet wrenches
which I have a few of. This junk was simply pressed out of some
1/8" sheet stock with a dull die and zink plated, the burr is
still on the bottom edge of the (I hate to even call them a)
tool.
Sears has really gone down the dumper in the last few decades
and orta be ashamed to sell something like this which you
wouldn't even see on the shelf at Harbor Freight.

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL
Posted By: b10

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Feb 26 2013 07:11 AM

Water pump socket tool for a North Star Caddy .The TOOL cost more than the pump but without it i would never get the pump out or back in.What a trip!!!!!!

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Feb 26 2013 10:39 AM

Well b, you know what they say, if you can afford a Caddy,
you can afford to keep it up.

Denny G
Posted By: Toolbox

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Feb 26 2013 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Denny Graham
A set of thin Craftsman tappet wrenches this winter. I wanted a
full set of thin wrences but I'm ashamed to keep them in with
my other tools because they are the chinciest piece of crap
I've ever been stuck with.
They aren't forged like the old thin Bonney tappet wrenches
which I have a few of. This junk was simply pressed out of some
1/8" sheet stock with a dull die and zink plated, the burr is
still on the bottom edge of the (I hate to even call them a)
tool.
Sears has really gone down the dumper in the last few decades
and orta be ashamed to sell something like this which you
wouldn't even see on the shelf at Harbor Freight.

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

I feel you pain, I could not find a set of forged metric tappet wrenches when i was recently looking. Found some real nice FACOM stamped wrenches, the finish is nice and all edges were finished well. Lucked out and bought the last 6 sets for the tool carts at work.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Feb 26 2013 09:17 PM

Denny, I'm with you. My daughter gave me a gift certificate to Sears about a year ago. I checked, its still good, but I can't think of ANYTHING I want to from Sears these days. Maybe I should spend the $25 on some jeans from China :mad:

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Feb 27 2013 08:16 AM

The "Craftsman 3-7/8 in. Handi-Cut Sears Item# 00937301000 Model# 37301" is actually a very handy tool for cleanly cutting hose, I have the sort version and use it a lot. Some day I'll get that longer one, I should have to start with.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...=cii_17588969&cpncode=30-120491517-2

I'm with you though, it's hard to find a tool worth buying at sears these days.

Grigg
Posted By: 53moneypit

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Feb 28 2013 01:33 PM

Hi Grigg. I checked out your boring machine and it's a cool item but kind of large for most folks. I am wondering if your going to start making flintlock barrels or what exactly? Probably engin blocks & front axles, huh?

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Feb 28 2013 03:15 PM

It's basically a really versatile horizontal milling machine and drill press type thing. I'll end up using it for larger jobs than fit on my vertical knee mill. I expect when I get it up and running I'll wonder what I ever did without one...

Grigg
Posted By: autoazore

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Feb 28 2013 09:56 PM

A few weeks ago I bought a lug wrench tool that is tube shaped and expands to 2' like a cheater bar. It also comes with two different sized 1/2 sockets. It works great and takes up less space retracted and gives more leverage than a star wrench when cranking on lug nuts.
Posted By: crenwelge

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Feb 28 2013 10:45 PM

I just today received a set of JH Williams 8 point sockets, made in USA. None of the local parts houses can even get them any more. I hadn't realized that they had become that obsolete. A 14 piece set 3/8" to 1 1/4" for $109 on eBay seemed reasonable to me. My 40 year old set had everything missing that is commonly used on square nuts, and occasionally there is a square nut somewhere that can only be reached with a socket.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Mar 01 2013 07:26 AM

Cool G&L ya found there Grigg. First picture right out of the
box I was envisioning a block or head sitting on it's table. We
had some really big Horizontal Mills out at the lab I worked
at. You could have driven one of our trucks up on the table
of "Big Bertha".
I spent a week in Dayton for classes on G&L's Cordax measuuring
machines. One morning they gave us a tour of the plant where
they made the machines. They had some Hor. mills that were even
bigger than the ones we had at the lab. The tables were
actually on rails built into isolation pads sunk way down below
the floor.
You certainly take the trophy here for the "best last tool you
bought".

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Mar 01 2013 11:50 AM

Thanks Denny,
It is a cool machine, I've run several of varying large and larger sizes and from then on wished I could have one in my shop. Had no idea until I stumbled onto this little guy that they even came small enough to fit in my shop, sure didn't take long to make the decision to buy it once I'd found it.
At the shipyard in Newport News the largest I ran (although briefly and trained on it) was a G&L with CNC retrofit or update, it had no table other than the floor, the whole column traveled left and right almost 30' I think and head went up 12 or 16', the only reach it had was the spindle travel, which was also significant. There were some other HBM's in the same room that were simply humongous in comparison, really really big. I wish they would have allowed me to take pictures, it's hard to describe the scale of stuff and all the neat machines in that shop.
The two machines I really enjoyed operating were about one size larger than the one I have, also G&L and almost as old, all manual.

Grigg

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Mar 01 2013 12:35 PM

With all the new CNC stuff comming on the market there should be
a lot of those machines around still if they haven't been sold
for scrap. I was just in a used machinery shop the first of the
week and he's really loaded down with Bridgeports, some pretty
good deals now for the guy with a home shop. Most of the shops
are doing on their machining centers what they used to do on
the old virtical mills.

DG

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Mar 01 2013 02:41 PM

I was sad when our machinist retired and they sold off the Bridgeport and this giant lathe, amongst other items. On the plus side, if I get nostalgic enough, there are two of those lathes residing in the belly of the USS Midway. Same grey color and everything!

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Mar 01 2013 02:44 PM

On the plus side, If I want to see some really big machining equipment, I go here: http://pbs.twimg.com/media/A9ktQG0CEAAoT_k.jpg:large Stuff as big as the building is tall.
Posted By: DDicker

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Mar 18 2013 02:19 PM

A Milwaukee 18V FUEL Drill/Driver. A very nice upgrade from my Ryobi.
Posted By: joker

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Mar 18 2013 04:46 PM

I just bought a socket and extension set from Harbor fright local in our town, they have been here five yrs and I never knew it, I have been here about 49. wonder how long they will last, says they have a life time warranty.lol

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Mar 18 2013 09:32 PM

I just got a large gauge wire cutter. Lineman cutters??
Posted By: PapaJ

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Mar 20 2013 09:07 PM

Reman'd 18v drill/driver from Sears Outlet center Garland Tx.
Posted By: TPR57C

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Mar 21 2013 06:39 AM

have you bought the brushless model i just got the brush model and the set is greati got 6 peice combo 18 volt for 950 aussie dollar
Posted By: R-Bo

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Mar 25 2013 09:19 PM

I just bought a very nice polished (and I believe/hope forged) 3/8" ratchet drive (Kolbalt brand nicer variety ($30) made in Taiwan) from Lowes.

This to replace my Sears that has had 2 heads (IIRC) replaced in it, but was starting to act up the other day and I figured that after about 35 years I deserved a nicer 3/8 ratchet. I also am not sure I can find a Sears anymore or take the time to bother with them to try to get them to deal with the Craftsman. I suspect they wouldn't put a new head in it, just try to give me a replacment that wasn't designed to work for 30 years.

I hope the Kobalt is 1/2 the ratchet the Craftsman has been.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Mar 25 2013 09:27 PM

Oh yeah, before the ratchet, I bought a set of rear axle bearing pullers (OTC 7495 series)to pull the axle bearings out of my 8.8 F*rd diff I am putting in my 59. Something I will never wear out. Only needed the large size, but they were priced to where I just went all in for the set, just in case.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Mar 26 2013 05:55 PM

Not sure about Sears policy TODAY but about a year ago I took some sockets back for replacement. They would NOT give me a replacement but instead called up someone, handed me the phone and I gave the lady my socket part #'s. She gave me a confirmation number and they mailed them to me!!

...Then, after I hung up the phone I ask the guy to replace a Gearwrench. Dang, he dialed another number as he said Sears did not warrantee them. Again, he handed me the phone, I gave the lady the numbers off the Gearwrenches and she gave me a confirmation number and then they arrived in the mail about a week later. Seems Sears in Spartanburg,S.C. doesn't "replace" anything. However, they did keep all the broken stuff I took in.

How do they do it where YOU live???

Like Regie, I've given up on Sears.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Mar 26 2013 08:16 PM

I stopped buying Sears a long time ago.

Today bought a 4" buffing wheel to see how it would do in either my die grinder or my drill to polish more aluminum dragster parts.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Apr 01 2013 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by R-Bo
I just bought a very nice polished (and I believe/hope forged) 3/8" ratchet drive (Kolbalt brand nicer variety ($30) made in Taiwan) from Lowes.

I hope the Kobalt is 1/2 the ratchet the Craftsman has been.

Fiddlesticks!!! Worked with the new Kobalt some this weekend and not sure I like it at all. The handle is bent rather than straight, it seems to want to pull up off bolt heads more than the straight handle, especially when using long/deep sockets. Anyone make a reasonable (I don't wrench enouhg to buy Snap-on) nice 3/8 ratchets??

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Apr 01 2013 06:58 PM

I've got a Kobalt set. 3/8 and 1/8 and I love them. No curved handle though. just the straight handle with the open socket that works as a deep dish too. The reverse switch can be a pain but I'll live with it. I grab them before the Craftman or Proto ratchets I have. It sounds like they may have more than one design from what your saying though cause I don't see a need for deep dish sockets at all with this Open Center design.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Apr 01 2013 08:49 PM

Isn't it somewhat strange that I still reach for the same 3/8 or 1/2" drive ratchet...along with some Wizard and S-K wrenches that I've had for well over 30 years.

Is it the "feel" of these quality wrenches or habit!!! smile

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Apr 02 2013 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by R-Bo
Anyone make a reasonable (I don't wrench enough to buy Snap-on) nice 3/8 ratchets??

I say anyone who values tools and has use for a ratchet could use and appreciate a 3/8" Snap-On ratchet. You can enjoy it for years and years even if only used occasionally and your kids and or grand kids can do the same.
If price is a problem look on ebay for a slightly older one, they can be found quite reasonable.

When assembling my tool kit years ago one of my first purchases was a long handled 3/8" Snap-On ratchet. My Dad's tool kit is mostly all old craftsman stuff, with exception of a nice probably older Snap-On ratchet.

Grigg

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Apr 02 2013 11:54 AM

Picked up a Pexto blocking hammer for shaping sheetmetal, the one on the left in this picture:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/rmccartney/Metalworking/Picture221-2.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/rmccartney/Metalworking/Picture222-2.jpg
Posted By: jerryjoe

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Apr 03 2013 09:49 AM

I've been to several auctions over the last 3 or 4 years, and every time they have a decent larger air compressor, it seems to go for near to new price. I have wanted a decent one that will keep up with the tools I want to use. I finally broke down Monday and bought a brand new Industrial Air, 60 gal, 10.5 CFM @ 90 PSI compressor and installed it in my shop. After buying the pipe pieces to plumb the outlet, a 220 volt plug in cord, and my time, I have less invested in it than standing at an auction all day to try and buy an older compressor for near new price. Plus, I have a warranty.
Posted By: Slick69

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Apr 04 2013 01:32 PM

Monday, I bought a 4 post lift. Last night I finished putting it together & test running it. Making a few adjustsments & now ready for some working enjoyment. Just another tool for my "working smarter not harder" arsenal....
Posted By: oldbolter

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Apr 04 2013 10:11 PM

I bought a 1/2-20 split die to repair the threads on my steering column. The split die is grab for repairing threads on the end of a stud, etc. because you can split it and move it down to the good threads and then back it off over the damaged threads. Very cool!

http://www.threadtoolsupply.com/murray-tools-split-die-thread-repair-12-20.html

Steve

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Apr 12 2013 12:42 PM

Well, I got about 3/4 of the heads cut off the rivets on the front crossmember when my cheapo air (Harbor Freight or Northern) hammer died. I switched to my even cheaper back up, and it was more of a "vibrator" than an air hammer, I think the only thing it did was work-harden the rivets. I got mad and gave up pretty quickly.

Bought an Ingersoll Rand Super Duty Model 121 "air precussive hammer" with the kit that included 6 attachments. Also bought the quick change receiver (IR 9512). (While I was at it, I bought the Lisle 41500 Pickle Fork attachment kit (can either beat them with a hammer or put them in the air hammer)--I suspect this may come in handy rebuilding the front end on the 66 GMC.)

Well, the difference between the cheap air hammer and the IR Super Duty was very significant. I thought that even if it worked as well as I hoped, I would have 15 minutes more work getting the rivets out. Not so, after 5 minutes of rivets flying around the shop, the crossmember was loose. What a difference--wish I had bought this thing when I started cutting crossmembers and spring hangers off the frame. I am *very* happy with it.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Apr 12 2013 04:31 PM

Well, didn't buy one today but I made one. Does that count?? ( Wait, I started this thread!!) Chevy exhaust manifold spreader. Then again, if this doesn't work, I'll need to buy one!!

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Apr 13 2013 01:22 AM

Worked like a champ!!

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Apr 14 2013 12:39 AM

Picked up a Heller Brothers ball-pein hammer yard sale find for $8.00. Still has the little horse on the side of the 6 oz. head. Had a very small amount of play in the head/handle that a toothpick worked to shim out nicely.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Jun 28 2013 08:49 AM

Got myself a new inspection mirror off the Matco truck. This one has a small LED floodlight in the head. We'll see if that works better than trying to get the right angle with a flashlight.
Posted By: Lugnutz

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Jun 28 2013 09:46 AM

After burning up 3 separate HF 4.5" grinders in the last 2 years, I just bought a Makita 7.5 amp unit. I could tell that my life will have fewer hassles just by taking it out of the box! New tools RULE!
Posted By: Freq2002

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Jun 29 2013 12:16 AM

Just picked up a 1/4" drive Snap-On 40-200 in/lb torque wrench for $73. Not a bad score.
Posted By: Materman

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Jul 06 2013 03:31 PM

in the last week i picked up a welder for $60 and got a good spray gun for $30
Posted By: Materman

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Jul 08 2013 10:53 PM

and today i got a 220v stick welder somebody gave me!!!!!!!! grin

Indy wink
Posted By: 59ApacheGail

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Oct 23 2013 04:00 AM

Timing light, tach-dwell meter, vac guage.
Posted By: J Lucas

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Oct 24 2013 04:39 AM

It seems I'm always buying tools. I have them at work, in the basement, attached garage, detached garage, in the kitchen junk drawer, in the Silverado, the '59 Viking, the garden shed, camper etc. The other day, I picked up a couple of utility knives and a pair of pliers on sale at Menards.

The few more memorable items that I bought recently include a remote starter switch (extremely handy) a clicker style torque wrench and a good compression tester.

John

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Oct 25 2013 02:39 AM

Hey! Title says last tool youBOUGHT!! smile

Originally Posted by Materman

Indy wink
Originally Posted by Materman

Indy wink
Posted By: r45marsh

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Dec 11 2013 01:35 AM

Just got a new wireless extension cord for portable screwdrivers and such on eBay, Can't wait to get my hands on it!
Posted By: tclederman

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Dec 11 2013 03:08 AM

Wireless extension cord?

For POW ( Power Over Wireless - Wireless Power )?

If yes, what is the brand and part number?
Posted By: Builder

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Dec 12 2013 07:31 PM

Well....I hired a guy who wasn't worth a crap.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Dec 12 2013 08:06 PM

A Wireless extension cord:
sounds like the kind of 'marketing' a resourceful copper thief would use to sell leftovers on craigslist to me grin
Posted By: Flxible

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Dec 12 2013 10:21 PM

here: https://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/wec.shtml

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Dec 13 2013 04:17 AM

Rarely go to Harbor Freight but today I went an picked up one of those disc brake kits for pushing the caliber pistons back in. I do a fair amount of brake work and for 30 bucks (on sale and with coupon) it'll just make things so much easier at times. It looks to be decent for the job I'll ask it to do.

Posted By: Roadmarks

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Dec 14 2013 02:26 AM

I got four spot weld drills from HF. I got a free VOM, too. That deal is good through the end of the month if you can still find the coupon.

Les
Posted By: Deve

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Dec 14 2013 03:42 AM

Since Sears and K-Mart lost over 4 billion dollars this year and they are in very serious risk of total failure, I purchased the last 4 craftsman upper cabinets for my shop when they went on sale recently. My hope is someone else takes over the craftsman tool business and keeps the warranty in tact. With all that is happening in this country right now, it will be interesting to watch and see what happens. The word 'interesting' scares the HELL out of me.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Dec 14 2013 06:15 PM

Got a new Millwaukee 18V M18 Fuel lithium ion 1/2 drill motor.

Will see how it stacks up to DeWalt 18V that now is at least a couple years old.

The Millwaukee is noticeably lighter, and hecho in PRC--but I just got it and hav yet to drill or turn anything with it. But just getting the batteries charged up and I want to build that pergola over the back patio that has been in the "planning stage" for ten years.

This was best thing on the list of 30 year service awards from the company so you could say I paid my life for it.
Posted By: mike 3800

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Dec 15 2013 02:06 AM

Went to auction of a friend that passed away, and was able to buy a lot of tools. 1959 Holbart gas drive welder, cold cut metal saw, 14 inch 2 speed band saw just some of the high lights, would still rather have the friend
Posted By: Arfelmcfarfel

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Jan 27 2014 02:49 AM

Got lucky, but not complaining smile Snap-On YA700 2-1/2 ton jack followed me home from Craigslist this morning.

How often do you get a "Made in USA" Snappy Jack for $70?

I'll stop grinning now (No I won't)

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Jan 27 2014 10:15 PM

just bought milwauke 18v fuel 5inch grinder works really well use it cutting 24mm rebar does good job
Posted By: Allen Lane

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Jan 28 2014 02:56 AM

Building an overflow building, since trailers have been kicked out of main shop by truck projects. New shop too far to run extension cords, and didn't feel like fussing with generator. So bought a Makita 18V cordless sawzall. This is one tough tool, cuts through 6x6 post with no problem, and 2x4's like toothpicks with an aggressive blade. Batteries don't last too long, but only 30 min's to recharge and interchangeable w/impact wrench and drill. If you do framing work, make sure to get the one with the rafter hook, more useful than you would think. Very pleased.
Posted By: Jim Meier

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Jan 28 2014 03:50 PM

I just received a new Kreg KTC5750 Toolboxx Master Collection. Woodworkers know what these are.
I wanted one of these for quite some time, but they were discontinued and no longer available.
I was lucky enough to find a store in Louisiana that still had some for sale.
I ordered one from them and they shipped it for free the same day.
It arrived well packaged, undamaged, and complete. I'm very happy with it and feel fortunate that I was able to get one.

Jim
Posted By: J Gott

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Jan 29 2014 12:42 AM

Snap on tap and die set along with a set of snap on open end wrenches.

John G
Posted By: mar

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Feb 02 2014 07:01 PM

It was just a tire wrench because the old one was never returned. My spare tire would be useless without it.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Feb 14 2014 08:01 PM

60" Starrett rule

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/rmccartney/Metalworking/Picture636.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/rmccartney/Metalworking/Picture637.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/rmccartney/Metalworking/Picture638.jpg
Posted By: capnduane

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Feb 15 2014 05:57 AM

A pair of needle-nosed vice grips, don't know how I made it all these years with out a pair! When I refurbed the brake system on Red Ryder, borrowed a pair from a friend, they were perfect to undo the brake line fittings that had been rounded off, from many rebuilds, by other guys, these last 60 years!
Posted By: Sedgewick

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Apr 17 2014 03:45 AM

A 3/8" Snap-On ratchet handle for $15 at the Portland Swap Meet. But if you figure in 3 nights at a hotel, gas, 2 ferry rides at $90 per plus food it actually cost me about $500!

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Apr 17 2014 01:58 PM

Hmmm. Recently picked up some grabbers that have a light at the grabber end from Matco to replace my broken Snapon purchased one. Also got a pair of small punches from Matco to replace the one I turned in to a 90* punch.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Apr 22 2014 05:28 PM

60" Starrett 4R graduated rule

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3745992&postcount=12782

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Apr 22 2014 06:09 PM

I bought one of these on eBay last week. It was new open box and I paid about half of what they normally cost.

http://www.jancy.com/en_us/jhm-series/jhm-usa-5-06/

I have worn out 2 Jancy Sluggers in the last 30 years and have one that is getting a little weak. Fein, which is the top name in Germany, bought out Jancy a few years ago. The motor part of it is Fein and appears to be better quality than Jancy ever was. These things are amazing as how they drill holes in heat treated truck frames.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Apr 22 2014 06:31 PM

That's very nice. I've had an eye out for a good mag drill, still do. Guess unless I stumble over one first then the next time I need one for a job I'll have to actually buy one.
Posted By: 48 bigbolt

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Apr 22 2014 09:45 PM

I bought a Harbor Freight tool box. It can compete big brands and beat some. Great tool box
Posted By: Quindel54

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon May 26 2014 06:19 AM

A day or so agoa friend( in his 70s) gave me some tools that hd belonged to his dad. A almost complete 3/8 scokets ratchet etc.a partial set of bluepoint wrenches and a craftsmn wrench.not raelly anything I need as i have 2 tool boxes on the go,1 at home the other at work. The unique thing with these are that they are of the 1930-1940s era. Got me looking at few of the tools that I currently use everyday at work and in have a few that fall in the antiaue category , although not that far back. I have n interest in antquie tools and have started to collect them.the ones given to me I have had my eye on them for a few years.iwould imagine a few of you old timers on this forum will have more than a few antique tools. Have a look and throw that info out too. I checkednmy tools outnon the internet to find out what year they were.i just typed in antigue snapon tools and I found a site that has good in fo on a lot of different brands of tools. So again check yours out and see whwt you got. If you don't already know.
Posted By: 53Movinon

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue May 27 2014 09:15 PM

Hot air gun at HF. Can't beat he price..around $11 with the 20% coupon.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Jun 12 2014 03:57 PM

Fender bead pliers

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/rmccartney/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140531_155539_394.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/rmccartney/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140601_134328_260.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/rmccartney/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140601_134313_590.jpg

Used to repair the fenders that have the rolled detail at the bottom and in wheel opening..

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Jun 12 2014 08:33 PM

Very interesting!
I've never seen those before but I'll sure know what they are when/if I do see any.

Thanks for sharing,
Grigg
Posted By: capnduane

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Jun 13 2014 01:20 AM

Bought a set of racheting end wrenches from HF. Where else? R&R'd the alternator and they worked slick. Never knew what I had been missing all these years!

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Jun 23 2014 04:11 AM

I got a Wright 3430 3/8" drive ratchet. Made in USA, its a fine clicker. The interesting thing is it appears to be on a 1/4" frame. It is NOT a regular stubby, and will work well inside of doors and under the dash. It is very slim and only a little over 4 1/2" long. Snap-On has several but they are waaaaay more expensive and this one has a lifetime warranty, too.

Les

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Nov 26 2014 08:53 PM

You all have not been buying any tools! Found this thread on the 3rd page...

Last week I bought a Ryobi 4.5" angle grinder at Ho-Depo for $39. Nice things are Rat tail switch and the side handle has a slot to store the spanner wrench. Neat idea, I often cannot find my spanner wrenches, which for some unknown reason tend to be specific to the brand and/or size of the grinder. I end up loosening or tightening with a gloved hand, but putting the wrench in the handle is still a good idea.

I haven't ran it much yet, it runs pretty quiet, probably because I don't think it has that much power. But it is always handy to have another one loaded with a different wheel, I think I have 4 now, 2 Makitas (OK brand, they keep running, just short on power), this new Ryobi and the $100 Milwaukie which is head and shoulders better than the others.

But for the price and functions, I like the rat-tail switches, I had to try it...

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Nov 27 2014 04:13 AM

Well, let's see. I got a digital caliper for the tool box on the race trailer. I got a Husky brand back up cut off tool as I thought my Blue Point was beginning to die. Turns out the shop compressor kept kicking off. I called maintenance and they repaired the issue. And my partner gave me a dimple tool for making panels on the dragster.
Posted By: TooMany2count

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Nov 28 2014 04:08 AM

Bought the son a Industrial Air 60 Gallon Air Compressor w/100ft of hose for Christmas this past week. He got it early because this year he & his family will be in Lake Placid, NY visiting his wife's Grandmother for Christmas. For some odd reason he's been smiling for the past 2 days smile ....joe
Posted By: TJ's Chevy

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Dec 27 2014 05:10 AM

Last tool I bought was a set of craftsman picks. Handy since I work on 2 strokes for a living. TJ
Posted By: Marko2727

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Dec 27 2014 07:05 PM

I needed some light in and under the 47, so I picked up a snap on led shop light from costco ($40). I also picked up the 4' long, led light saber looking shop light from HFT ($30). Both are great quality, really bright and dont get hot.
Posted By: 55 SHAKER

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Dec 27 2014 07:37 PM

Wanted an extra lithium battery for my craftsman drill. This was the same price as a battery so I bought it. Nows I have an extra battery, battery charger, and drill.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-c3-19.2-volt-3-8-in-lithium-ion/p-00948336000P
Posted By: ryanlee

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Dec 27 2014 08:44 PM

Wiper arm removal tool.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Dec 27 2014 10:26 PM

Just got a set of ball end, long allen sockets. I especially need the 5/16" for installing the blower intake on the Donovan.
Posted By: HandyAndy

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Dec 29 2014 04:28 PM

I finally bought a set of those clutch head screw drivers.

Life is good!
Posted By: mapleleaf

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Dec 29 2014 07:05 PM

Just bought a plastic welder, not cheap but it looks interesting.
Posted By: EchoBravoSierra

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Dec 31 2014 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by HandyAndy1947
I finally bought a set of those clutch head screw drivers.

Life is good!

My sweetie got me a set for Christmas.

Life is good indeed!
Posted By: CJSTP

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Dec 31 2014 12:24 AM

Was browsing in the local Tractor Supply and saw a mini die grinder for $7.70.No name. I had to give it a shot. Especially since the cashier told me I could return it if it didn't work. Total surprise. That thing works great and came with two collets and 5 different grinding stones. Something to use when the dremel is not quite beefy enough.---Jack
Posted By: david dyehouse

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Dec 31 2014 12:42 AM

recently bought a12v lithium rigid drill/impact driver combo on special for $99...also scored a holiday special on a 2 pk of the 4ah batteries for it for $49.00.....normaly $69.00 for 1 battery..was the first impact driver ive used....im hooked.......dave

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Mar 03 2015 05:56 AM

Found a monster striking chisel on the Snapon truck. I just had to have it.

Had my 100 tooth ratchet repaired and picked up an 80 tooth.

Also, about a month ago, got me a 4.030 ring compressor for the race motor and a tool to square the rings in the bore for sizing.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Mar 04 2015 12:56 AM

I could sure use a valve spring compressor for our 54-62 235/261's or a way to remove them myself without eating a spring or two! What do you guys do for that?

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Mar 04 2015 02:24 AM

I have access to an old valve spring compressor.

Otherwise, I'd check a local car parts store - they might loan it to you or rent it.

Or, buy one - google/search for valve spring compressor
I know nothing about the <$20 tools on eBay (no-tax/no-shipping).

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Mar 04 2015 02:41 AM

The advantage to removing the valves and springs is, you can sandblast the head without doing any damage to the valves, etc. Then hose it down (with solvent)and take it to the engine shop for cleaning and valve assembly. Thanks Tim, I'll look further.

Would this work?

http://www.harborfreight.com/universal-overhead-valve-spring-compressor-60335.html

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Mar 04 2015 02:48 AM

It works, Deve, I have one. I do not know how well it works with the head attached to the block.

If the head is off the block, I prefer the non-overhead style (it's faster).

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Mar 04 2015 02:54 AM

non-overhead style? I will always have the head off the block when removing the valves.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Mar 04 2015 02:57 AM

Your link above is to the over-head style.
http://www.harborfreight.com/universal-overhead-valve-spring-compressor-60335.html

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Mar 04 2015 03:01 AM

But which one do you have that you like better? I like to be edumacated before driving the 60 miles. smile

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Mar 04 2015 03:16 AM

"If the head is off the block, I prefer the non-overhead style (it's faster)."

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Mar 04 2015 03:53 AM

Since our Hemi fuel heads have some beastly springs in them, I took an old "C" clamp and made my own compressor. Similar to this and this.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Mar 04 2015 03:59 AM

I have no idea what a non overhead style even looks like. Do you know of a place that would even have a picture? I tried google searching and couldnt find anything called 'non overhead style'

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Mar 04 2015 04:06 AM

google/search for google/search for valve spring compressor

https://www.google.com/search?q=valve+spring+compressor&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-4572-Large-Spring-Compressor/dp/B000F5ECUY

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valve-Sprin...tive-Engine-Repair-Tool-HD-/111106860674

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1954truck/54ctsm0608.html

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Mar 04 2015 04:11 AM

The Amazon one seems like it would work okay for our purposes?

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Mar 04 2015 04:16 AM

Yes, and it is on sale and free shipping

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Mar 04 2015 04:20 AM

Done. Thanks!

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Mar 04 2015 05:18 PM

The last tool I bought was.....sandpaper.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Mar 18 2015 02:06 PM

Just picked up a set of metric allen wrenches.
Posted By: glasman

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Apr 05 2015 03:01 PM

Various tin ships, metal cutting tools, including a power driven snips which attaches to a power drill.
Also a punch and bending tools, plus a metal cutting blade for my circular saw.

I just finished installing a 26ga. standing seam, concealed fastener, metal roof on my house.

While this is not much of a challenge on a simple gable roof, my house has a hip roof with a gable running into it, along with three valleys running into a large fire place chimney, plus another gable roof running into the other gable
and a cricket behind the chimney.

I would call this a project and a half ! lol
Posted By: pfarber

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Apr 05 2015 03:07 PM

Last proper tool I bought was a 1/2in breaker bar from HF. Use it on the lug nuts... I hate having to take apart my ZJ to get to the factory one... if you don't put it away properly the factory lug wrench will vibrate so you have to arrange everything JJUUSSSTTTT right.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Apr 05 2015 03:50 PM

Just picked up a Pexto 12U52 to replace the 3' jump shear

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4735108&postcount=1171

Posted By: Old Doug

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Apr 05 2015 04:26 PM

I went to a garage sell that a guy has every spring. He always has tools. I got 3 vice grips for $3.00 a pair and 10 wrenches 4 of them were snapon for $ 30.00. I have more tools than i need now but i like going to fleamarkets and other sells. I have a note book that i care that i write down what i need to finish sets and things that i think i need.I need to update my note book for this year. What can i do about a Snapon ratchet i bought new years ago i have babyed it but its striped teeth 3 times and been rebuilt. It must be built wrong and now the chrome is wearing off from rideing around in my pickup hopeing to find a snapon truck to get it fixed.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Apr 05 2015 10:10 PM

I saw yesterday that my tool man left me a couple of socket racks for my allen and Torx bits.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Apr 05 2015 10:24 PM

Bought an INNOVA code reader. Every once in a while have to work on something newer and a code reader comes in handy.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Jun 02 2015 02:18 PM

Picked up something called a blow brush. An interchangeable brush head blow gun. I have yet to unwrap it and try it.

I also picked up a compression gauge kit before I realized that I already had one. This one is nice though as it has 12" adapter whips where, with the old one, the adapters screwed in to the spark plug hole, then you connected the short gauge whip. So, one set for home, the other for work.

Time to put the Suburban in the garage and see what is making the coconut banging sound on fire up. Usually goes away once warm.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Jun 26 2015 08:57 PM

Let's see. Got a remote starter button and a leak down gauge.
Posted By: Brad Allen

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Jun 27 2015 04:17 AM

Dropped a couple hundred on a complete set of Estwing hammers and got rid of everything I had that was marginal.
Posted By: mo2cyl

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Jun 27 2015 11:43 AM

A butane refillable pencil style soldering iron. Great tool for any type of wiring job. $20.00 bucks at Home Depot.
Posted By: 2-Ton

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Jun 28 2015 04:37 PM

Darn it!
Another anvil yesterday, that puts me back up to ten.
The wife (the enabler) was at an auction and called me to describe it.
I gave her a low top bid and she bought it for less.
Then latter that day, I made enough real easy money that paid for it. Just for letting a couple boats park at our dock.

Don
Posted By: 48 Yuma Rebel

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Jun 28 2015 05:07 PM

Just bought ANOTHER Heath-kit Ignition analyzer scope yesterday.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Jun 29 2015 04:45 AM

Picked up and old T handled post hole digger, at a garage sale.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Jun 29 2015 06:36 PM

We always sold wiper blades and wiper arms at our gas stations until we went self serve in the early 70's. Getting wiper arms off without scratching the chrome was always a trick so most everyone had a tool to remove the wiper arms. I have no idea what happened to all of the ones we had and had almost forgotten they existed. I saw one on eBay and it arrived last Saturday.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-60s-nos-MAC-windshield-wiper-arm-removal-auto-car-tool-accessory-part-/311385896767?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=ctQ0RybtBs7hWlbcaCXAMF0MeAc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Its new and still works like they did 50 or 60 years ago.
Posted By: Uncle Brad

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Jun 29 2015 07:03 PM

That is cool, Ken. What was the tool used to remove dog-dish hubcaps without busting the hubcap paint all up?

Brad

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Jun 29 2015 09:34 PM

It actually is used to pry wiper arms like the old GM vehicles had in the 50' and I don't know until when. Since the serrated part is a different metal than the wiper arm, it was common for them to get stuck on the vehicle. The spring pressure makes them awkward to pull off straight. Using a pair of pliers screws up the chrome. The little gadget pries them right off.
Posted By: Jon G

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Jul 03 2015 07:29 PM

I don't know if you'd call it a tool, but it sure lets me see the tools I have better. I bought and installed 8 four foot bulbs to convert the fluorescent tube fixtures in my garage to LED fixtures and the new style ballast units those bulbs use and man...I'd say it is a remarkable difference. No more blinking and flickering, no more humming, all of them come on (at the same time) and it looks like broad daylight out there. I got them from 1000bulbs.com and the price seemed ok. If you want any information about this, please send a PM or an email to jon_goodman@yahoo.com
Jon

disclaimer: I have no connection to 1000bulbs.com or anybody who works there. They just happened to be a company I bought some bulbs from.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Jul 04 2015 05:57 AM

Feel free to post your info here.
Posted By: Jon G

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Jul 04 2015 03:36 PM

I got these for the 4 foot bulbs at $9.99 each:
http://tinyurl.com/o3xar2v

The fixtures I have are cheap ones bought about 30~35 years ago and have two 4 foot bulbs in each fixture. Very common style, hangs from small chains. So I got 4 of the ballast units they (1000bulbs.com) suggested ($10.16 each):
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/98460/BU-B232IUNVHP-N.html

These ballasts connect differently than the old ones, but this is clearly marked on the unit. I'd say each fixture took me about 15 to 20 minutes to convert...the large part of that having to be on a ladder and fiddling with putting screws back into a flimsy fixture. Interestingly these old fixtures were all made in the USA, so I didn't have to curse at them in another language. Not so interestingly I installed the top plate in the last fixture upside down and didn't notice it until later. I'll admit cursing at that one freely, but I think it understood I was really cursing at myself for not paying attention.

The old ballasts used .85 amp to run. That much I know, and honestly I didn't realize those required that much current or I'd have changed them earlier. Besides they run so hot you have to let them cool before you can touch them. The new ballasts (from the data I have) seem to run at around at around 13~14 watts...which is remarkably less and they run very cool. Each 4 foot led bulb requires 16 watts to run whereas the previous 4 foot fluorescent bulbs required 40 watts each. So any way you do the math, there is going to be a positive savings of over 50%. Plus as I said earlier you can see every square inch of that garage as if it is daylight in there. If you look around, you'll see I didn't get the highest rated (by lumens) bulbs. In fact, I got the least expensive ones. Trust me, I don't need any more brightness out there. No more reaching into the fridge and getting a bottle of waffle syrup thinking it is a beer.

One other interesting thing is these plug right in to the old style fluorescent bulb fixtures. I didn't have to change those.

Hope this helps.
Jon
Posted By: Super55

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Jul 10 2015 05:01 AM

I bought a diamond dust hole cutter for tile and a carbide tip wonderboard knife. Anything to get this bathroom reno done so I can play.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Jul 16 2015 06:06 AM

Found me a 2" DA sander. Air powered.
Posted By: mapleleaf

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Jul 20 2015 07:03 PM

Picked up this little welder at Princess Auto ..works great and is the size of a murse grin complete with shoulder strap ...great little lightweight portable welder that plugs into 110. Better than lugging around the buzzbox for smaller jobs.

man purse welder
Posted By: oldbolter

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Aug 26 2015 04:26 AM

My son brought me another workbench for my shop. This monster is 10 feet long and all steel. The frame is 2"x2" pipe and the work surface and shelf are 3/8" plate. Best of all, it came with 2 huge Wilton vises attached.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Aug 26 2015 02:01 PM

All these years, I can't believe I never owned one. Got myself an air (hack) saw. Also got myself an air powered, angle, random orbital sander that uses 1" and 2" discs, hook and loop. And I replaced my broken inspection mirror with a long reach version.
Posted By: Scott2

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Aug 27 2015 03:47 PM

I had a period of no car work and several house moves the past 11 years and along the way I sold off or wore out tools. Since I am now working on my '51 truck, I had to re-tool and just bought a new Miller 211 MIG welder and a new Speedaire 5hp/60 gal compressor. Now I better get some work done so the wife stays happy!

Scott
Posted By: Don

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Sep 11 2015 06:43 AM

I just bought a cool DC, DC Tig. and Plasma Cutter from Simadre and it works really great. Finely had a chance to use it in all three phases.
Don

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Sep 11 2015 07:50 PM

I bought a lathe off cl last week for $400 plus a gas/delivery tip for the guy who brought it over from ptown (1.5 hrs one way).
From the pic's I swore it looked like a south bend but could find nothing in the casting. Went with it anyway as the price was right for where I'm at.

Turns out it was home made by a guy in Pdx. back in the day... what day I have no idea, other than his name turns up back in the 40's and later in the 60's as a businessman.
I ran some run out tests and it seems to be within accepted tolerances but I'm not really qualified to say that as fact. my dial indicator is in mm and built for very fine values i.e. recording equipment and my starett doesn't mount to my base.
Still waiting for the one I ordered to get here.

I can turn hardened steel pins (think backhoe bucket) down slightly (a few thousandths) with the tool post... and majorly (several tenths) with the angle grinder add on I built for it. thumbs_up

Why hardened steel pins?
They were laying in the mud at the recycle center when I went looking for scraps to play with. With them were a bunch of drill bits and assorted large taps.

Turns out the large drill bits are JT2 (my tail stock size) and after cleaning and some dressing up are way worth the 20 bucks I gave for the lot.

I'm just learning (YouTube School of Machinists Knowledge)as I go. There are no schools or classes to attend, so when I have a question I can usually find answers online.
At some point I'll score some Al or bronze and find out how things go with a more appropriate material. blush
I think I see some bushings that need made in my future.

Posted By: just-a-hacker

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Sep 17 2015 05:45 PM

Forstner 1 9/16 cutter
Posted By: 49fastback

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Sep 21 2015 02:12 AM

new Dewalt circular saw to replace the old skil saw - man this thing cuts like a hot knife through butter. while not a tool to work on the vehicle projects - it was needed to make some shelving for the shop:)
Posted By: CCer

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Sep 21 2015 10:42 AM

I was able to buy a "Bay Bumper Jack" (Air LIft) for $35. at a local auction. Real pleased.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Sep 21 2015 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by 49fastback
new Dewalt circular saw to replace the old skil saw - man this thing cuts like a hot knife through butter. while not a tool to work on the vehicle projects - it was needed to make some shelving for the shop:)

Are you sure about that? With all the truck beds and Suburban plywood floors that need to be restored?

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Dec 16 2015 08:23 PM

Just picked up a Matco box for home. My "retirement" box because the 12' X 3' deep Snap On just ain't gonna come home with me!!
Posted By: JW51

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Dec 16 2015 08:45 PM

Been wanting a set of gear wrenches for a while. Local farm store had them on a Black Friday deal for $20.

They have changed my life.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Dec 18 2015 05:07 PM

A 60" toolchest and toolbox. When I got out of wrenching for a living, I finally bought a nice 60" toolbox. Now I got another for the rest of my tools. Now I have 2 60" boxes and 2 36" toolboxes. This is the first time I have an empty drawer, and no tools stacked on top of each other.
Posted By: LAROKE

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Dec 18 2015 05:20 PM

LT5000D Lotos LT5000D 50A Air Inverter Plasma Cutter Dual Voltage 110/220VAC

From Newegg for $250 incl shipping. Too good a deal to pass up. I still have to wire the plug before I can use it.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Dec 21 2015 02:23 PM

Blocking hammer

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5335925&postcount=1546

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Dec 21 2015 08:45 PM

Flat blade Klein cabinet tip screwdriver (U.S.A.) made. Has one of the finest finish blades I have ever seen and a little tab on the handle to put the perfect bend in wire for plugs and switches. Sweet tool for $10, Klein #605-48.
Posted By: 1953 panel

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Dec 29 2015 09:25 PM

I recently got a larger tap and die set, 60 pieces. Better than the 12 pc set I've been using.
Posted By: 69Cuda

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Dec 30 2015 07:35 AM

just bought a 1 gallon "roundup" brand sprayer at Lowes today..... used it to make a pressure bleeder for the brakes on my 58 2-ton! Works great, tank on sprayer is rated for 40 psi, and is see-through! I spent less than 20$ and have a pressure bleeder!

I also bought 10' of 1/4" ID clear PVC tubing. I used the adjustable nozzle from the sprayer, took the screw-on end cap off, drilled a hole in the end of the inside part, and pushed one end of the tubing on it (heated it a bit with my heat gun first).
http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p494/69B-Cuda/brake%20bleeder_1.jpg

that part sealed tight enough, it did not leak. I then took an extra master cylinder cap and did the following:

1.Remove the splash shield from the inside
2.Drill a 5/16 hole in the top
3. weld up the vent hole in the cap

I then drilled a hole in a 5/16 bolt and bolted that through the cap to connect the bleeder hose to. I put a gasket under the bolt head and the nut and a clamp on the hose but with it pressurized, it was still leaking.... I am not sure exactly where, and I didn't really care, I just threw a pile of sawdust on the floor to soak it up and proceeded to bleed the brakes!
http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p494/69B-Cuda/brake%20bleeder_2.jpg
http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p494/69B-Cuda/brake%20bleeder_3.jpg

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Dec 30 2015 07:41 PM

cuda, got a picture of how you hooked it up to the M/C. Sounds interesting.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Dec 31 2015 12:37 AM

I bought THIS TOOL to work on the valve seals while the head is still on my 230ci. A guy used one like it on YouTube and I was convinced. Mine is a different brand but same thing. Got mine on eBay but it hasn't arrived yet.
Posted By: Ssrjim

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Jan 01 2016 04:29 AM

The FedEx man showed up today with a long track for my track saw.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Jan 07 2016 02:56 AM

I just bought THIS TOOL. I did not buy it from Speedway but that picture shows it best. I got it on eBay instead and it's branded as Powerbuilt but I'm convinced it's the same tool with a different brand name. Anyway, I think it has a marvelous design and much better than the claw style. It works with 3/8" and 7/16" rocker studs and when you push the handle down it locks into place. THIS LINK shows my photobucket pics. I had to test it on a head that was off the block. Of course it depressed the valve with the spring since I had the head off. The tool is intended to be used with the head on the engine and air pressure in the cylinder to keep the valve closed.
Posted By: Fox

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Jan 17 2016 06:11 AM

I just bought a $300 20 gallon pressure pot sand blaster for $150. (Cdn!)

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Jan 17 2016 10:39 PM

PIcked up this 60 gallon compressor on the three day sale for $679CDN. It has 10.3 CFM @ 90. That would only be about $465 US. I hope to use it with my air tools, cabinet blasting and spray painting.

https://www.kmstools.com/campbell-hausfeld-3-2hp-60-gallon-compressor-1549

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Feb 01 2016 05:17 AM

Got a nice older craftsman 12" band saw with stand and blade for 75 bucks, i figure its good for 150.00 all day long. Been looking for one for a good minute. Patients is key.

Joe
Posted By: danzimbric

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Mar 14 2016 03:54 AM

Milwaukee 1/2 inch battery powered impact and 4-1/2 inch angle grinder.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Mar 14 2016 05:33 AM

I just got the Milwaukee 18 v blower good bit of gear have them 4 1/2 grinders as well did you get the fuel brushless one it has good grunt I cut rebar with them outperforms the hilti grinder same size

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Mar 15 2016 05:31 AM

Yes, I got the fuel with the big battery. The impact and the grinder can share them.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Mar 20 2016 03:56 AM

Picked up the new wheeling machine today....

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5609678&postcount=1810

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Mar 21 2016 06:31 PM

60 Inch Hi Lift Jack Ultra model
It works as a winch too

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Mar 22 2016 03:13 PM

Dan
Funny you should say that.
I bought my first Hi Lift jack back in about 1979 to carry in my CJ-7. Used it many times to get unstuck when playing off road.
Got my F-250 stuck this past Sunday and will use it to get it out today. Darn heavy 7.3 diesel sank in a soft spot.
Very handy tool when you need it and I'll see if I can get some pics of it in use today.
And yes, I have used it as a winch, many times.

Don

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Mar 23 2016 03:41 AM

Got the old F-250 out of the soft spot today.
Used the Hi-Lift jack and some old boards.
Hope this link works for some pictures.
I may have to look into a mount and carry it with me all the time.

http://s893.photobucket.com/user/2-Ton/library/Stuck%203-22-16

Thanks Don

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Apr 02 2016 04:12 AM

I bought this this again this flipped so what the flip is this?
but I don't know what it is dang

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Apr 02 2016 05:13 AM

bought some BIG (14" long) snap-on snap ring pliers at a pawn shop for removing/installing snap rings in a tranny. Very helpful!

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Apr 02 2016 05:38 AM

CASO,

None of your links work for me.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Apr 02 2016 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by tclederman
CASO,

None of your links work for me.

How bout now?

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Apr 02 2016 07:06 AM

They work now!
Originally Posted by CASO
How bout now?

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Apr 02 2016 01:59 PM

But what the hockey sticks IS that thing?

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Apr 02 2016 04:15 PM

Caso
I posted the question and pictures on Practical Machinist.
We should have an answer by tonight.

Don

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Apr 03 2016 01:08 AM

The guys on Practical Machinist have it ID'd already.
Here is a link to the thread.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-and-history/what-tool-318524/

I may be able to sleep better tonight now.
Don

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Apr 03 2016 02:12 AM

Thanks Don.
I tried slipping a valve in it but said no way, but the starter shaft commuter, now that's more like what would fit.
The part that still puzzles me is the 'threads' don't really seem to be threads but more like sequential concentric rings (if I have my terms right)
I will give that a much more thorough test/look see tomorrow... now I can get a good nights sleep too.
Posted By: just-a-hacker

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Apr 05 2016 07:37 PM

new bench grinder
old one decided after 35 years it had enough

new bench grinder

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Jun 02 2016 03:23 AM

Took one of the super coupons and bought a heat gun that I need on occasions. For 9 bucks you can't beat it.......

..and I got to use it ONE day later. A little old lady backed into the front corner bumper on my wife's Buick and put two places in it about the size of a big orange and a tangerine along with a fairly tight crease....in the end it was just best for the two of them to drive on. The little lady cars had minimal, very slight damage and she was scared. I told my wife to drive on. I may have got a new bumper but of the deal but it was not worth the hassle.

Anyway, I pulled the car in the shop and in about 45 minutes I got that bumper looking pretty dang good. Enough so for a daily driver that is already 10 years old! That heat gun is HOT.
Posted By: Rusty Rod

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Jun 23 2016 04:10 AM

a vacuum tester but I couldn't use it because a bunch of other stuff is needed to adapt it to the radiator.. grr

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Jun 23 2016 02:11 PM

Vacuum? Or pressure tester?

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Jun 23 2016 06:40 PM

I bought a bench vise last weekend at an auction.
https://goo.gl/photos/oVs3ezQyZaCoDM1r8
https://goo.gl/photos/UE3uy7D3xNE2NNkR7
Posted By: klhansen

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Jun 24 2016 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Grigg

Nice!!
I'd have to build a bigger bench if I got that. grin

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Jun 27 2016 06:38 PM

I didn't buy it but my kids gave me a real nice set of DeWalt titanium drill bits for Fathers Day. Does that count.....?

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Jun 28 2016 02:11 PM

It does.
Posted By: LAROKE

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Jun 28 2016 02:31 PM

From an upcoming BillyBob log . . .

June 23rd 2016 When I arrived at the BillyBob Shop, there was a parcel in the mailbox addressed to Mr. Nimrod. My brother, JR, had read last week that I was planning to re-ring BillyBob's engine before slapping the blower on the side and he sent me our Dad's ring groove cleaning tool. along with the note that it could come in handy two or three years down the road when I get to the rings. As far as we know, the last time this tool was used by our Dad was in the eighties, on this very engine, when he helped my brother freshen it. There's a certain poetry of continuity attached to this tool that may spur my efforts to shave a year or so off that time.

http://laroke.com/larryk4674/2016/bb062316am.JPG

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Jun 28 2016 05:31 PM

Just bought a Porter-Cable 3-1/2" framing nailer, this thing is an animal. It rarely jams and it sets nails without breaking the wood. $150 at HD and well worth the money.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Jun 29 2016 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Brad Allen
Just bought a Porter-Cable 3-1/2" framing nailer, this thing is an animal. It rarely jams and it sets nails without breaking the wood. $150 at HD and well worth the money.

For making beds? (I joke.....)

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Jun 29 2016 05:52 AM

Well, got me a third hand type of deal. It is a copper, hole welding backer, but it has a magnet and a set screw to give a little tension when needed. Set it, back your hole and it leaves both hands free to operate the welder.
Posted By: Justhorsenround

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Jun 29 2016 01:49 PM

Bore Scope***** very neat and inexpensive. Plug it in to your laptop open the program and your off to the races. More will be coming on my need for this in a few weeks in the "What have you done" forum. The instructions were very clear the tool was not for use internally in the human body. Now who would try that?

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Jun 30 2016 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by MNSmith
Well, got me a third hand type of deal. It is a copper, hole welding backer, but it has a magnet and a set screw to give a little tension when needed. Set it, back your hole and it leaves both hands free to operate the welder.

Those are very handy. One of the first items I got after the MIG welder.

Sunday, the wife and I were out on a drive and stopped at a yard sale. Picked up a Craftsman Industrial Electric Impact wrench and a bunch of impact sockets for $40. The sockets were all inch sizes except one metric, so they'll get use on the Stovebolt.
Posted By: GMCinDisquise

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Jul 12 2016 03:37 AM

Just bought an old impact driver and very small puller from one of the antique shops in town yesterday. Sometimes the good old heavy duty, American made tools are found for decently cheap prices at these places. Also see a lot of hood ornaments, hub caps, and other pieces that others wouldn't know what they're looking at.
Posted By: dgrinnan

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Jul 12 2016 02:25 PM

GMCinDisquise, if you happen to be in that shop again check out their hood ornaments to see if they have one of the Eagle Hood ornaments. See this picture for reference. You can buy after market. but I have been looking for an original.

54 Hood Ornament http://www.1954advance-design.com/Photos/Hood%

P.S. My zip code is Covington, KY. about 3 hours from Covington, IN.

Posted By: GMCinDisquise

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Jul 13 2016 03:43 AM

I'll keep my eyes open. I see different pieces and parts from time to time. There's a good junk buyer/seller near here that always has parts for sale.

Neat, I wonder if someone from your town had anything to do with our town getting it's name.
Posted By: Don

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Jul 20 2016 09:53 AM

I had a neighbor move then suddenly pass away and the son in law came out to clean out his work shop. The son in law gave me a belt sander 4" wide, two nail guns and a really nice Reed vice with 5" jaws. This vice is a very heavy old vice that goes for
$325.00 plus used on the net made in the USA.
I guess I made a great score for paying nothing.
62blue
Don

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Jul 20 2016 12:05 PM

Sounds like a nice vice. I also have a large Reed vice and they are very well made and heavy for the size.
Good job being at the right place at the right time! Sorry about your neighbor.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Jul 23 2016 01:24 PM

Good point raised on antique stores and truck/car parts. These items are now sold as decorative items not parts, often the people that are selling them just see them as decorating kitsch.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Jul 25 2016 06:31 AM

had to get a chain wrench to hold a crank pulley while loosening the bolt. (not on one of my Chevy's, on my wife's Subaru.)
Posted By: f18delta

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Jul 25 2016 09:38 PM

Does it count if you made a tool? If so, instead of paying $80 - $200 for a brake line straightener, I used some angle iron, nuts, bolts, and some closet door rollers to make something that looked like this one. Cost me all of $30 and about 45 mins of work.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Jul 25 2016 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by f18delta
Does it count if you made a tool? If so, instead of paying $80 - $200 for a brake line straightener, I used some angle iron, nuts, bolts, and some closet door rollers to make something that looked like this one. Cost me all of $30 and about 45 mins of work.

So how, did it work out?

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Jul 26 2016 03:14 PM

Sure, it counts!

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Jul 26 2016 06:19 PM

It would work a lot better if I could remember what I did with the brake line roll! not me

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Jul 26 2016 08:34 PM

Now you are sounding like me dang
Posted By: DavidBraley

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Sep 05 2016 12:08 AM

I recently purchased a used Sunnen honing mandrel so I can hone fit the new king pin bushings in front spindles.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Sep 05 2016 12:15 AM

Just got back from picking up a mortiser off Craigs list.

Planning on using it to make side boards for the GMC.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Sep 11 2016 11:25 PM

I had to do it. I bought me a ratcheting metric combination wrench set. I was just running in to too many metric fasteners.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Sep 12 2016 08:40 PM

Just don't let someone sell ya a "metric crescent wrench". wink

(If it has millimeters stamped on the side its the length of the wrench, not the jaw opening). grin

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Sep 12 2016 10:19 PM

LOL

I have a couple of those metric crescent wrenches. But mine are metric/SAE combination. grin

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Sep 12 2016 11:29 PM

I bought a crescent wrench/spanner when I lived in Britain. It was/is Whitworth/SAE/metric.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Sep 13 2016 12:00 AM

Left or right handed crescent

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Sep 13 2016 02:40 AM

Believe it or not, I had a left handed adjustable wrench.
You had to spin the screw opposite than most to open or close it.
I loved loaning it out and watch the guys stop and look at it funny.
Most of them would not say a thing.
One guy started cursing me and and winged it across the shop.
I just smiled and said "I gocha"
I always carried two the same size, one for me and one to loan out.

Don

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Oct 12 2016 02:58 AM

New hammer for the shop

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y1...%20Custom-Shop%20Eqpt/Picture%204882.jpg

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Oct 12 2016 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by MPandC

Are you going into the watch repair business, Robert?
grin
Nice!

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Oct 18 2016 01:32 AM

Started making a pocket watch.....

http://youtu.be/FfhO-j3Z4Zw
Posted By: NoJunker

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Oct 22 2016 03:41 AM

Well, the last tools I acquired are two tire irons for changing lock ring rims. They were under the seat of the 51 GMC I just brought home. One is a Kentool, the other doesn't have a brand but it has a maker's mark I need to look up.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Nov 30 2016 03:26 AM

I got the new channel locks from Crescent today. I haven't had a chance to use 'em, but I like 'em for now.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Jan 03 2017 03:10 PM

Latest tool for the shop, picked up a good used Snap-on BF-615 hammer. It has the reverse curve hammer faces and has been discontinued by Snap-on for some odd reason...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/rmccartney/Metalworking/IMG_2137.jpg

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Jan 16 2017 06:56 AM

Replacement quarter inch drive 5/16 socket....Lost it and got tired of looking at the empty spot

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Jan 16 2017 08:22 PM

Just picked up a 1/2" drive, 5/8" swivel impact socket with a really short extension from Snapon. Seems to be one of the better ways to get a top starter bolt on a DT466 in an all wheel drive International Workstar(?)

I also had to get a 1/2" drive, 10mm allen socket from Matco to work the head bolts on a Nissan L24. Snapped that because I drove it with an impact ( bad on me), so I picked up a 3/8" drive 10mm from Snapon so I could keep working.

BTW, that L24 head had some stuck and broken exhaust studs in it. Did the usual "grab it with a vise grip and whack it with a hammer" deal. No budge. Figured I'd end up breaking them, drilling them and re-tapping the holes. On a whim, bought a metric stud remover kit from Snapon. The stud came out effortlessly!! Then the next one did! So the next day, bought a standard kit from the Matco guy. Tried it on the Ferd flathead I have sitting in cue. Same deal!! Why haven't I got these stud remover kits sooner in my life !!

Oh yeah, also picked up a Bluepoint ratcheting wrench set in metric to match the standard set I already had.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Jan 18 2017 03:51 PM

Just picked up a BC AMES benchtop precision lathe and assorted collets end mills, chucks and face plates.

Could only find one on the web that even comes close.
It's on ebay.
This was a personal lathe for a NASA engineerwho moved to Or. from Va. when he retired. He recently passed and family needed it out of garage for new house owners.
I think my recent acquisition phase is coming to an end.
This makes the HF 6" cross feed vice for the drill press and their black tool chest slip from favorite new tool status to 'yeah they really help but check THIS out' realm.
Now if I can figure out a way to mount it on the back side of my SB 9" (look alike) and run them both off the same (VOS?) motor I'll have a tool room and a precision lathe hotrod won't I? BC Ames lathe

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Jan 18 2017 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ssrjim
So how, did it work out?

Worked well, but needs some tweaking to make the gap between the rollers adjustable. Keeping your fingers out of there helps a lot too I found out. big_eek cry
Posted By: Old Doug

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Jan 22 2017 04:08 AM

I bought a set of Gear wrench swivel Metric 3/8 sockets today. I hope they are ok.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Jan 23 2017 04:12 AM

Picked up a set of HF thumb wheel ratchets, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 inch. Worked pretty well so far.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Jan 30 2017 04:16 AM

Built myself a slapping spoon for body work. Dug out that old half of a leaf spring from my F250 that I have kept for 5 years or so. (Doesn't every one keep crap like that? wink )
The handle has a little "texture" to it where I got off track a bit with the cutting torch. It's there to keep it from slipping out of my hand. Yeah, that's the ticket.

finished product next to the raw material
Another view

Also spent a bit of time shimming the bearing in my $10 HF angle grinder. When the fix wears out, it's going in the trash. I think I'll replace that with the $30 HF one with the paddle switch like I already have. That one's doing OK.
Posted By: Skooter

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Jan 31 2017 01:17 AM

Got the cheapest of the cheap HF welders on sale for $87. Have built up to an acceptable level of success with a series of tack welds in repairing bottom corner of a rear fender into which the running board had been jammed.

If nothing else it's a good starter to figure out what I'll need to repair my rotten floorboards. Would like to think I could at least tack them in if need be. But then if the HF was all I had I probably wouldn't cut the rotten floors out in the first place.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Jan 31 2017 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Skooter
Got the cheapest of the cheap HF welders on sale for $87. Have built up to an acceptable level of success with a series of tack welds in repairing bottom corner of a rear fender into which the running board had been jammed.

If nothing else it's a good starter to figure out what I'll need to repair my rotten floorboards. Would like to think I could at least tack them in if need be. But then if the HF was all I had I probably wouldn't cut the rotten floors out in the first place.

Hint: it will work better with name brand wire from the home depot or the like.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Feb 02 2017 12:26 AM

My tool collection just got better.
I was the only bidder on this older Rockwell Drill Press.

I didn't get it for bottom dollar like some of you lucky folks. There were miscellaneous auction fees and I had to rent a Uhaul trailer to get my items home. So it wasn't the deal of the century, but I think I got a fair deal at $175 all said and done. Came out of a machine shop that the bank closed down. I also bought a metal cabinet and 2 wooden ladders, one is 12'. Both are Werner.
Here is the Photobucket album with all the drill press photos.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Feb 02 2017 12:33 AM

SWEET drill press!

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Feb 02 2017 02:26 AM

My friend and I think my new drill press has a bad chuck. I can't figure out how to make the keyless chuck tighten enough to hold the drill bit tightly. The chuck jaws close and open easily. However, the thinner knurled ring at the top spins freely and I'm afraid that might be the problem. Maybe that's why nobody else was bidding on it?
Is the chuck bad? What does the top ring do?

***EDIT*** I talked with the LlambrichUSA salesman. He said the top chuck ring is held in place while the bottom knurled section is used to tighten the chuck jaws. Mine is obviously broken somehow because it does not work. Now I have to figure out how to remove the chuck and get a new one.
Posted By: CCer

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun May 14 2017 09:56 PM

Recently bought a pair of Vehicle Display Ramps, each has two long legs and a short one. Drive on and up, then it tips over to level. I figure it will help this old man to work off the floor. Been eyeballing one for many years. Bought for under $100..

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue May 30 2017 11:36 PM

Buddy of mine gave me a stovebolt points tool. Pretty sweet.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed May 31 2017 01:21 AM

JW51,

The 1953 and later distributor points nut tool, that is not needed for earlier Stovebolts?

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed May 31 2017 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lugnutz
Now I have to figure out how to remove the chuck and get a new one.

There may be a screw holding it to the spindle in the center. If so, remove that, then chuck an allen wrench (largest you can find) in it and use that to unscrew the chuck. At least that's the way a hand drill I have worked when I recently replaced the binding chuck on it.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed May 31 2017 06:43 AM

Last tool I bought was a ball joint press set. Only problem is it didn't have the correct sleeves for my 2002 Dakota, so I had to make some out of pipe to remove and install the lower ball joint.
Also, had trouble getting the right size inner tie rod tool to fit. Had to file the opening on the removal tool.
Maybe Chrysler has odd ball sizes... I don't know.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Jun 01 2017 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by tclederman
JW51,

The 1953 and later distributor points nut tool, that is not needed for earlier Stovebolts?

Yes, but it looks a little different. One tool with two different ends.
Posted By: 62Stick

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Sep 21 2017 06:50 AM

Last thing tool related that I bought was a 20 piece set of mill bits for the new to me (free) three axis mill I got about 7 years ago. It's taken me this long to actually buy some bits for it so I could use it for something other than a drill press. I finally had a project that could only be done on the mill, so I needed the mill bits.

It's made in Taiwan, imported by Jet Equipment & Tools out of Tacoma, WA. Model JET - 15 drilling & milling machine.

It has 8 speeds ranging from 160 - 1800 rpm using a 1/2 hp, 110 vac motor.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Sep 21 2017 11:29 AM

A mill will usually get you a lot of friends that need things made!

I just picked up some Snapon radiator hose tools that look like folded screwdrivers. Time will tell how well they work.

A while ago, I picked up a set of Dura-block sanding blocks. Made difficult body work a little easier.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Sep 21 2017 06:02 PM

A mill will usually get you a lot of friends that need things made!

LOL!! Don't I know that! I've already had several requests.

What finally made me get the mill bits was a request for help on a project from my daughter. Hard to turn her down. She's not the run-of-the-mill Girly Girl. She gets her hands dirty turning wrenches when she needs to.

Here's one of her recent projects. She was tired of all the oil leaks on her Harley, so she tore it down to replace all the top end gaskets and install new rings. The first picture was Thursday morning, after tearing it down. The second picture is Thursday evening when she stopped for the night. The last picture was Friday evening right after she fired it up and took it for a test ride.

Attached picture IMG_20170626_131337166_small.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20170629_135317536_small.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20170701_195443348_small.jpg

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Sep 22 2017 12:10 AM

62stick,
For a minute there, I thought you had posted pictures of MY motorcycle. Your daughter's HD is the same color, tank and seat as mine. It's remarkable. I had to do a double-take. LOL!!
Jay

Attached picture HD.JPG

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Sep 22 2017 06:08 AM

It's a 1998 883 Hugger, with a Corbin solo seat and Super Glide mini apes.

It does look pretty close to yours. Main differences are the bags, sissy bar, and rack. Other than that, looks like a dead ringer.
Posted By: Hotrod Lincoln

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Sep 22 2017 03:02 PM

I just acquired a set of broaching tools for making Woodruff keyways. With an arbor press and some anti-sieze compound, making key slots is now a pretty simple operation. It sure beats a hacksaw and some narrow files! I also got a few milling cutters for making the half-moon slots for the keys.
Jerry

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Sep 27 2017 12:53 AM

I just bought a Woodward Fab metal shrinker. I still need to find a stretcher. The shrinker works well and came with a stand.

Attached picture Shrinker 1.JPG
Attached picture Shrinker 2.JPG

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Oct 08 2017 05:16 AM

Bought a 2 ton engine hoist from Harbor Freight a while back. Finally put it to use today after loaning it to a friend to use on his boat motor. It's the style with fold up legs, but the main part has casters that are not on a plane. With 3 casters on the ground the forth is just over 1/2 inch above the floor. ohwell Still works OK - used it to pull the front clip.
front clip removal
Also build a Deve-style engine cart. Used 1-1/2" square tube steel I scrounged up and some casters from a 1000 lb HF moving cart (cost about what two casters would.)
engine cart
Posted By: Spotbiltxo

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Oct 16 2017 05:24 PM

Bought a pair of nut splitters on clearance for $1.99 at Tractor Supply last Friday. Used the small one yesterday to split the nut holding one of my tailgate chains.
Posted By: Ol' Red

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Nov 04 2017 02:41 AM

I've never owned a timing light, nor a tachometer. So I bought a digital timing light that also has a tach. Pretty cool! It's nice to not only adjust the ignition timing on my truck (first time I've ever done that), but to know my idle speed while making those adjustments.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Nov 04 2017 01:04 PM

Ol'Red, now you need a Dwell Meter to help with setting points. Then you will be stylin and profilen and a real fulltime Stovebolter! secret

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Nov 04 2017 08:04 PM

I got tired of working on my modern fuel injection motors and all the while THINKING I had a fuel pressure gauge. Finally got one of those to help with engine diagnostics.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Jan 01 2018 09:15 PM

I found a 1/2" drive battery powered impact wrench under my christmas tree.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Jan 01 2018 09:30 PM

New Black and Decker orbital sander and a nice Kobalt 4 drawer tool box.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Jan 01 2018 09:51 PM

Daughter and son in law gave me a new tool/toy for Christmas.

A FLIR One Infrared camera attachment for my iPhone. Finding missing cylinders when I finally get to engine work on the stovebolt will be a snap. With this gizmo, you can SEE cooler exhaust ports.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Jan 02 2018 04:50 AM

A new 2' pull bar. I put it with my little new "trolley jack" for traveling. Using the ones the manufacturers put in in is a joke in most cases.......I also got a new 1/2" Cobalt, and there 3/8" drill driver from Lowes and I'm thinking about carrying the 1/2" driver with the jack. I'm just getting to old, or lazy, to contend with what the OEM gives me!

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Jan 03 2018 03:21 AM

I got a new set of "Tamper Torx" wrenches. Basically a set of Torx wrenches with a hole drilled in the end to fit those security bolts with the pin in the middle. This set fits sizes T10 through T40. I needed it for working on my wife's van.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Jan 03 2018 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by 62Stick
I needed it for working on my wife's van.

Pretty weak, but I'll use about anything as an excuse to acquire a new tool.
grin

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Jan 03 2018 08:18 AM

Actually the truth this time. :-)

I need to replace the ignition switch in her 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan and the danged thing is not only metric, but once you strip away all the plastic surrounding the steering column, it's held in with the Tamper Torx. I've never needed them for anything else. I prefer good old American Iron, not metric boxes, but she wants her van to run, go figure.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Jan 03 2018 02:07 PM

I've had tamper torx for years. I don't think I've ever used them on the matching fasteners. Although, I have been tempted to take out the screws on the bathrooms stalls as a joke. I did pick up a set of medium deep, 3/8" drive standard sockets. Those will come in handy on more than one occasion. I also picked up a 2' long, 1/2" drive ratchet for the race car. Time to find and engraver/etcher to have the team name put on the thing. That way, if it gets stolen, the thieves will know who they stole it from!

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Jan 17 2018 02:09 PM

Figured with all the body work I'm doing, I should pick up a slapper file. We'll see if it ever makes it out of the wrapper. Also got a Snap On, 24", fixed head, 1/2" drive ratchet to use as a back down bar for the race car. Had it engraved with the race team identifier "OTHG AA/FA" in case if someone steals it, they'll know who they stole it from. A few weeks back, I picked up a medium length, 3/8" drive standard socket set. There's been times I've needed those and hadn't had them. Got plenty of longs and shorts, but never any mediums.
Posted By: Dragsix

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Jan 24 2018 04:42 PM

A Thexton distributor degree ring for the 216/235/261 chevy delco remy distributors. Popped up on ebay. Never saw one before then. Snaps onto the distributor and indexes the rotor to the cap so to speak.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Jan 24 2018 05:12 PM

Dragsix,

Can you post a photo (or, two) of that "Texton distributor degree ring for the 216/235/261 chevy delco remy distributor"?

Thanks,
Posted By: sstock

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Jan 24 2018 07:03 PM

Just bought a input shaft nut wrench for the muncie transmission fits the muncie m20,21,22 and our 3 speeds. Cost about $15 delivered. It is a thin spanner to fit on the skinny nut between the oil slinger and the front of the main bearing of the trans.

Attached picture wrench.jpg

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Jan 25 2018 05:47 PM

Thexton Firing Indicator for Chevrolet (stovebolt six cylinder) distributor.
(images emailed to me by Mike, Dragsix)

http://www.thexton.com/history.php

Attached picture thexton distributor box.jpg
Attached picture thexton no rotor.jpg
Attached picture thexton distributor installed.jpg

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Jan 27 2018 04:06 AM

I recently replaced an old particle board table top with some 2X4s. Then I wrapped the top with scrap steel I removed from a truck bed. It stays outside and is my go-to table for anything dirty or messy.

I also purchased an anvil. It's a Harbor Freight anvil that gets bad reviews because the steel is rather soft (as anvils go). You get what you pay for, but I only paid $20 and it will serve my needs quite well.

SEE PICS HERE

Jay
Posted By: Dragsix

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Jan 27 2018 05:38 PM

Digging both, especially the steel work table.
Posted By: Shaffer's1950

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Jan 28 2018 03:12 AM

I bought a set of Mckaig-Hatch wrenches, Pliers, and ball peen hammer all for my 1950 3100 tool bag (re-pop) to keep in my truck. I still need the screwdriver & spark plug piece.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Jan 28 2018 03:41 AM

....I liked the 2 ft pull/breaker bar so much I bought another one this week with the "coupon". Thinking about also giving them to my girls....they all know how to change a flat.....and if needed, whop a guy upside the head.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Jan 28 2018 05:27 AM

Not such a bad idea Alvin, specially how these tire stores torque the lugs on to like 250 ft/lbs. I dont see how the majority of the people can get a tire off with an OEM wrench.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Feb 01 2018 11:36 PM

I just bought a 20 gallon air tank and a texture sprayer to finish my "new" garage walls.
Posted By: John Milliman

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Feb 08 2018 09:28 PM

The official ODSS UberScroungemeister, BoToepfer, recently dropped off a couple of these for my review -- metal versions of the wood Stovebolt Engine stand -- adjustable and on castors. Pretty sweet.

Attached picture engine-stand.jpg

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Feb 08 2018 10:20 PM

Wow, any measurements to make a set of plans on this? Maybe put a build in the tech tips John.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Feb 09 2018 02:27 AM

Those look like multi-engine stands. Looks like the side uprights slide in and out to fit different width oil pan mounting points. thumbs_up

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Feb 10 2018 07:52 AM

Those look great to me. Fantastic job BoToepfer!!

I tried to use the cart I built for my 250 when I was working on my 327. It just barely fit, and that was with only 3 points of contact. I was unhappy, but had to make it work.

These look like they would have been a lot better. I might have to see if I can Fab up something like it when I have the time and money for materials.
Posted By: 47PUJim

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Feb 20 2018 09:23 PM

Bought a Bullseye pick and reverse curve hammer from Eastwood. This winter is a lot of body work.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Mar 19 2018 04:15 AM

Just picked up a lightly used Lincoln Electric AC225 arc welder for less than half of retail. Needed something a little heavier duty than my HandyMIg 120V welder that pops the 20A breaker when I crank it up to the highest setting. The project in mind for the new one is modifying two engine stands to build a cab rotisserie.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Mar 19 2018 04:07 PM

A "load leveler" fixture popped up in the marketplace. I got it for $25 and it is like new!

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Mar 21 2018 12:48 AM

Did a 2 for 1. Bought a 3/8" drive, standard, stubby allen set, got the metric for free.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Mar 25 2018 07:13 AM

Well, not exactly bought, but today I got most of my cab rotisserie done. I bought two $50 engine stands and some steel rectangular tubing to make the pivot axis horizontal (was pitched up about 5 degrees) and to raise the pivot point. I also wanted caster wheels on one end, so used one pair of them to replace the fixed axle wheels on the end with the upright. I also extended the width of that end to give it a little more stability and with what was left of the 10' stick of 2x2 tubing, connected the two end pieces for the engine stands together. If I got a longer piece of 2x2, It would also work as a frame rotisserie. Used the new buzz box for the welding. I need to practice a bit, as the welds aren't the best cosmetically (ok structurally, though). I can also use the forward end of one of the engine stands and still have an engine stand (a bit taller than normal). I figured the height of the pivot axis by scribing a circle around the cab drawing in the FAM so it could turn a full 360 degrees without hitting the connecting bar.

Attached picture IMG_0354.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0355.JPG

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Mar 28 2018 06:03 AM

Very nice job. I want to see pictures with a cab on it as soon as you put it in service. :-)

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Apr 05 2018 03:00 PM

Picked up a used Ingersol Rand 3/8 drive air ratchet for $15 yesterday. Went to use my old (Chinese made) one a few days ago and it was rusted solid. Strange because we are not a high humidity zone and it was stored inside the shop in a tool box. Just some projects go quicker with air. 🛠

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Apr 05 2018 03:08 PM

Martin,

Did you oil it regularly, and, did you have moisture/oil traps/filters in the air inlets-or-outlets of your regulator(s)?

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Apr 05 2018 03:39 PM

Yup. Trouble is I used it very seldom for the past 20 years. It admittedly neglected for too long.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Apr 06 2018 03:50 AM

I just tried out my new hole saw kit from Canadian Tire. Worked well until the bit chuck came loose on the guide bit. Then, as I drilled and sawed it bent the drill bit. Now I know why Cdn Tire put 4 bits in the case...

I will cut off the bent portion, re sharpen it and try that bit again.
Posted By: Santerre

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu May 31 2018 01:30 AM

I bought an industrial sewing machine for 100$. Never done this before. Took me 2 night to figure everything out and getting it time. Did my seat upholstery and very pleased with the end result.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu May 31 2018 02:38 AM

Have rarely ever needed a load tester for a battery but needed one last week....so I came home and ordered me one. Got a painted one on sale for $25 bucks which will supply my needs.....and may never use it????
Posted By: mick53

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Jun 03 2018 12:30 AM

Bought a Grizzly end mill. Got tired of every time a needed a small milling job done they wanted $100 and 3 weeks to do it. Now I have more in accessories than the mill but love it.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Jun 03 2018 04:15 AM

I bought a 3/4" impact gun (and had to buy a big hose and larger fittings to supply air to it!) I still coult not break the bolt loose I was trying to get free but, it was on my wife's car so she was fine with me buying the tools! (at least I tried!). Now I should be able to rattle off the lug nuts and anything else I need to on my big bolts!

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Jun 03 2018 01:51 PM

A friend of mine used to say "if you get it hot enough you can take it off with your fingers".

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Jun 05 2018 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Santerre
I bought an industrial sewing machine for 100$..

What model did you find?
We have a few sewing machines too, and one day I'll do my own seats. In the meantime I use them for all sorts of other projects, like a leather seat on a shop stool recently.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Jun 05 2018 02:39 PM

Bought a 2 ton Cherry Picker from the local Tractor Supply. Typical price but I can use my Farm Tax exemption to save sales tax. Lots of uses around the ranch and it will come in handy putting the 350 in the ‘62 C-10.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Jun 05 2018 03:02 PM

Bought a point file, to have around in case I need it.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Jun 06 2018 01:08 PM

Had I not looked it up, I would have thought it was a version of a pair of door window suction cups. They attached to the inside of the window, go over the door frame, and attach to the outside of the window to hold the window in place while working/removing the mechanisms.

OR a disc rotor anti vibration/silencer for turning rotors.

Attached picture doorsuctioncups.jpg

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Jun 06 2018 01:23 PM

I used to have a couple of those. Back in my lake days! secret

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Jun 06 2018 03:46 PM

Mark -- What you're talking about represents actual work .... Boo.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Jun 06 2018 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by John Milliman
Mark -- What you're talking about represents actual work .... Boo.

John, your tool represents the work after the fun though! LOL
Posted By: 49 3100

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Jun 06 2018 11:49 PM

Bought a buffing wheel for my Makita to Polish the SS inside and out window trim and the glove box. Used red Rouge and will do the headlights on my 49-3100 soon..Bill

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Jun 07 2018 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by 69Cuda
John, your tool represents the work after the fun though! LOL

Wait!! When does this "fun" stuff start??

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Jun 16 2018 04:12 AM

Bought an eastwood TIG200 a/c d/c welder. Had a cheap china model.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Jun 20 2018 06:25 PM

I got a tool off the Matco truck that is basically a flat strap of metal, handle on one side, sharpened edge on the opposite side. It is used to go between seams of sheet metal, to be struck with a hammer, to separate spot welds.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Jun 20 2018 07:12 PM

An expensive machete?😁
Posted By: oldieoldie

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Jun 21 2018 01:02 AM

I just made a deal to buy a small lathe from a friend who is moving. I don't remember the brand or model, (I haven't picked it up yet), but he and I have made parts on it before. Now I need to remember how to use it. It's all fun!

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Jun 21 2018 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
An expensive machete?😁

I think it was somewhere around $20? I probably coulda made it out of bar stock. But, I'll see a shiny penny........... ohwell

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Jun 21 2018 05:01 PM

Toolman’s gotta feed his family too. Used to love it when the Snap-on and Matco trucks stopped by.🛠
Posted By: oldieoldie

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Jul 10 2018 09:20 PM

I have a neighbor who is moving and selling everything off. I bought a metal lathe that is probably over a hundred years old, same model my grandfather taught me to use when I was 10. Now I have to learn to use it again. Grand dad's was run with a leather belt, this one has been converted to electric, though the pulleys are still wood. Can't wait to get to using it!

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Jul 10 2018 10:24 PM

Motor lift plate and an adjustable tilt accessory for the cherry picker.
Posted By: HandyAndy

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Jul 10 2018 11:26 PM

ZR13 OBD2 Code Reader by Zurich

My 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 pick-up had the "Service Airbag" warning light come on and after a bit of research I decided it was time to look at a code reader. The quote for having a shop read the code was about $50 and the airbag sensor retailed for $275. I had the ZR13 up and running in no time at all. The code was B0103, front airbag sensor 2 on the passenger side. I replaced the sensor with an after market sensor for a third of the price within a half an hour. No more "Service Airbag" warning light and I used the ZR13 to confirm the problem was resolved. It's a great tool at a very reasonable price! HF even honored the $189.99 price shown in their online images!!

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Jul 11 2018 12:49 AM

Live data stream is extremely helpful!!

Was working on installing my Vintage Air unit. They have some really tight bends up at the condenser. I had to borrow my buddy's S-K 7/8" #42228 crows foot line wrench. Snapon and Matco were much too fat to fit in the area. Soon after, I went to eBay. Now I own one.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Jul 15 2018 04:54 PM

I bought an Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC welder.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Oct 01 2018 09:10 PM

I recently bought a new tool box. Twice as big as my trusty Craftsm(e)n boxes. BUT, I already ran out of room! and there are still tools in the old box! To kind of cure the storage problem, I obtained a side hanging box. It gives me more room for my often used tools and a place to work from.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Oct 02 2018 02:53 AM

...you go Rusty. Problem I have is if I buy more tool boxes I need to enlarge the shop. Hey, not a bad Idea, thank you.

I was taking a chair apart today with my son and ended up using about half the tools in my tool box. I told my son, "no you see why pop has to have all these toys". He just smiled and told me he'd buy tools but one day they gonna be mind anyway. I told him then he better be showing me he knows how to use them...then I sat on a roll around while he changed a set of struts. We get smarter as we get older....don't we.

Rusty, go buy you yet one more tool box.....heheh

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Oct 02 2018 04:20 AM

Get one this big.

Attached picture tool box.jpg
Posted By: Santerre

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Oct 02 2018 11:16 PM

Knurling tool and a bunch of other cutters for the lathe. My son's starting to like it, ask for a bunch of new project to do on it. He's not the best at school, so might as well teach him something else. Everything related to a tractor, motor or machine get is attention, but books.... Different story! Sadly all the wood, welding, electrical, mechanic and machine shop at the school are getting replace by computer room and other "new" things. Luckily enough I was one of the last batch of students to have access to all those. The only one left today is the mechanic shop were they "put away" trouble kids. I don't think there is enough tools left to change oil in a lawnmower. I'm telling you, in a short while, we will have a major shortage of skilled workers.
Sorry for blowing off steam, all have a great evening.

J. F.
Posted By: 8man

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Oct 23 2018 02:48 PM

I got a door helper that bolts to a floor jack. It allowed me to put both doors on the truck by myself, without busting a gut. They jacked up into place, and slid right on the hinges. Really recommend it.
Posted By: Bill Marlow

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Oct 24 2018 10:09 AM

Mark, I like that set up. I'm tired of standing on my tippy toes (even at 6'2...OK, probably more like 6'1" now, yea, I'm shrinking...) to look in the top drawers of a upper cabinet. I also really like the full width drawers offered on most lower cabinets. I'm in the market for another lower cabinet smile

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Oct 24 2018 01:03 PM

I have never been a fan of upper boxes. I always go sideways instead of up.
Posted By: 4100 Fire Truck

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Oct 24 2018 11:09 PM

A 6-lug spindle socket for the rear of my 4100. 2-5/8ths inch socket I found at the local farm store for $12. Just had to grind file the lugs a little thinner until it locks right on to the spindle nuts. Worked perfect

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Nov 14 2018 12:49 PM

Picked this up at the annual farm consignment auction next door last weekend. In a "treasure box" I bought for a buck.

And thanks to Hotrod Lincoln, I actually know how to use it smile nanner

Attached picture 20181111_145155[1].jpg

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Nov 14 2018 02:11 PM

Handy to have!

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Nov 14 2018 02:19 PM

I have seen those before, but never used one.
Dad taught me how to make one out of an old ring.
And it is disposable.

Don

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Nov 14 2018 02:21 PM

Ok John, is this a contest to tell you what it's called and used for? I do know so I'll keep quiet for now.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Nov 14 2018 03:16 PM

Here's Jerry using his

Attached picture c-lower-end-4a.jpg

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Nov 14 2018 07:26 PM

Like Popeye trying to open a can of spinach.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Nov 14 2018 11:36 PM

....used one many times. Mine got lost in the "move".

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Jan 11 2019 12:20 AM

I recently picked up a Harbor Freight tire buster. I tried to break a tire down without it being bolted to the deck... no bueno... I ended up using my 40 year old jack and the weight of my trailer to hold it down. It broke the bead pretty easily. I didn't have to take the tire all the way off though, since I was just replacing a cracked valve.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Jan 11 2019 12:51 AM

Belt grinder to help speed up several steps in a product I machine/fabricate.
Stand is from an old grinder, found it at a junkyard over a year ago anticipating the eventual belt grinder.

Attached picture E8565B89-5699-4140-A19E-D537BFBDDC4F.jpeg

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Feb 04 2019 04:43 PM

Found myself some long reach feeler gauges to help tune a 4-71 blower when the time comes.
Posted By: drdoug

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Feb 04 2019 11:38 PM

Torque tube bushing puller in preparation for installing an OKie Bushing. Photo courtesy of Chev's of the 40's.

Attached picture 595005a.jpg
Posted By: Bill Marlow

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Feb 11 2019 11:14 AM

Wheel Dollies!
I while back I bought some of those cheap wheel dollies from Harbor Freight. You know, the ones that are basically a steel plate bent in V with 4 casters on each. I wanted to use them on my wife's 2000 VW beetle. No dice. I could move the back end but not the front by myself. It felt like I was going to bend a fender trying to push or pull that thing. Now they live under my snow plow and work fine for that. So now that I have my new one ton, I really needed to move it over to where there is no garage door. I did some research and the gojacks seem to be the bomb but I wasn't going to spend the money they we asking for them. I looked up the HF hydraulic jacks and they seem to get pretty good reviews. Yesterday I splurged and bought 4 of them. They were rated at 1250 lbs each. I think that gave me some wiggle room and hoped that they were capable of doing a little more then rated before they grenaded. Regularly they were 89.95 each and I got 20% off with a coupon.
Brought them home, put the wheels on and tried them out. I easily moved the truck by myself to where I needed it to go. Very pleased with how well they worked.....at least for now. I am not the biggest fan of HF stuff but if they hold up for the few times a year I will need to use them then I will be happy. I got a one year extra warranty so if I break one they will exchange it no questions asked. I don't intend to leave the truck up on the jacks, just for moving it.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...UkhsNkwzaXJOZ2xLeThkTkhGR01acEV0QllWN2tn

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Feb 16 2019 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by drdoug
Torque tube bushing puller in preparation for installing an OKie Bushing. Photo courtesy of Chev's of the 40's.

This tool was made to use with the driveshaft in place but it wont work on a stubborn front bearing. Send it back. I just wasted $70 plus shipping on it and destroyed it trying to get the front bearing out of the torque tube. This tool is complete junk. Recommend pulling the axles, rear diff cover then differential case, remove the pinion and remove the driveshaft, then go to your flaps and rent the slide hammer and the pilot bushing jaws to go with it, the bearing came out real fast and nice. Oreilies will not charge you to use the tool, leave a deposit and get it back when you return it

Attached picture 92-019.jpg

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Apr 19 2019 07:14 PM

I like these babies. My new favorites. Matco Tools. Place the sharp edge between sheet metal sheets, next to a spot weld, and wail on it with a hammer. Quick, Simple.

Attached picture spotweldsplitter.jpg
Posted By: ThreeSixHundred

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Apr 19 2019 07:26 PM

Bought a GT Sonic ultrasonic cleaner. Going to give my Rochester carburettor a bathing.

Regards Chris

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Apr 21 2019 09:54 PM

Didn’t buy it but got it for free an ingersoll rand upright 120 psi air compressor, all I had to do was swap the electric motor from another that had thrown a rod through the block and swap the pulleys and next you know I have A 1500 dollar air compressor for just my time

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Apr 21 2019 10:39 PM

Those are the BEST deals!
Posted By: popcornBen

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Apr 23 2019 05:45 PM

Finally bit the bullet bought me a step bit drill bit! Every time I have to enlarge a hole on the 59 had to make do with whatever! Tired of the fight and bought one. My son is happy every time I buy a new tool he just smiles! That is what Dad's are for!

Pops

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu May 16 2019 12:21 PM

Out with the old.... did a trade up on a larger Lennox Nibbler a couple months back..

[img]https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/rmccartney/Metalworking%202/IMG_4353.jpg[/img]
Posted By: 51sub

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat May 18 2019 12:41 AM

Scored a Skat Blast 34' cabinet with vac for $50. Seller was cleaning out garage. Works great.
Posted By: 4100 Fire Truck

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon May 20 2019 10:27 PM

Didn't even need it yet, but for some reason I bought a torque multiplier. There are cheaper ones out there, but I found a 6:1 torque multiplier made by Wright Tools. A new one is $1000, and I got this one for $350. It's like having a 4 foot breaker bar that is only a little over a foot long. 200 foot pounds on the 1/2 inch input gives you 1200 on the 3/4 output. There have been too many times where something like this would have been great. It also has a torque conversion chart, and a degree wheel for TTY fasteners. They make some with huge ratios to torque bolts to thousands of pounds, but cost thousands of dollars.

Attached picture IMG_5678.JPG

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu May 30 2019 04:11 AM

I bought a transmission jack from Harbor freight. I was installing a ranger overdrive unit in front of my SM420 in my big bolt and did not want to trust the whole mess sitting on the smaller cradle of my floor jack. Plus, my floor jack does not go up high enough...
Posted By: Xena

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu May 30 2019 11:31 AM

A 20 ton hydraulic press so I could replace the bearing on the PTO shaft of my 49 8n. Now that I have it, I am surprised how often I have been using it in my shop for projects both automotive and non automotive.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu May 30 2019 01:59 PM

I agree Xena, should of bought my 20 ton 30 years ago
Posted By: miraclepieco

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Jun 02 2019 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by 4100 Fire Truck
Didn't even need it yet, but for some reason I bought a torque multiplier. There are cheaper ones out there, but I found a 6:1 torque multiplier made by Wright Tools. A new one is $1000, and I got this one for $350. It's like having a 4 foot breaker bar that is only a little over a foot long. 200 foot pounds on the 1/2 inch input gives you 1200 on the 3/4 output. There have been too many times where something like this would have been great. It also has a torque conversion chart, and a degree wheel for TTY fasteners. They make some with huge ratios to torque bolts to thousands of pounds, but cost thousands of dollars.

I never heard of a torque multiplier. Thanks for the info.

What was the last tool I bought? I don't know: I haven't bought my last tool yet ;-)
Posted By: glenns towing

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Jun 03 2019 01:37 AM

yesterday i bought a roll of .035 flux core welding wire and some wire brushes from Harbor Frieght

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Jun 29 2019 02:23 PM

Had to do work on my 1998 C3500. With the sway bar being tight to the Pitman, you run out of room real quick, I just happened to walk on the Snap-On truck that day and he had a specific Pitman puller for that era of truck. Kind of a neat, pivitol wedge kind of thing that clears the sway. $200 for a $5 job! But, then again, I like new tools!
Posted By: 1954 MI

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Jul 05 2019 12:44 PM

Bought a Dremel 3000 yesterday to complete a home project. Worked great, and can see me using it for many other projects. A pretty versatile/handy tool.

--Tom

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Jul 13 2019 03:13 AM

Been watching this tool box at Northern Tool for a while. Last week there was a clearance sale and the tool box suggested price, for some time, has been over 300 bucks. During the clearance this box, with roller bearing drawers and the liners, was marked down to 130 bucks.
I used a 20 dollar coupon I had gotten in the mail and now its at a hundred bucks...... .I pointed out to the lady that the side support was twisted and a couple scratches on it and hit her for another discount. Bought it for 96 dollars including tax.

.....the reason the side braces were twisted was the front two support "legs" were put in upside down. I had already measured it and figured it out before bartering. Fixed it as soon as I got it home. Now I can put all my sockets in one box....well, most of them!!!!
Posted By: 1954 MI

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Jul 13 2019 01:22 PM

Sounds like a pretty good deal, Achipmunk. Do you have a picture of the new box?
--Tom H.
Posted By: Wayne67vert

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Jul 13 2019 01:23 PM

A used oven to start powder coating parts with.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Jul 14 2019 03:49 AM

Tom, it'll be a day or two but I'll take a picture...or find a link to a pic.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Jul 16 2019 04:34 AM

A 1/2” female to 3/4” male socket adaptor. I don’t know why it’s taken me so long to get one.
Posted By: TUTS 59

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Jul 16 2019 05:02 PM

I also bought a Dremel 3000, haven't used it yet, bought the extra bit kit for it as well

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Jul 16 2019 05:38 PM

Bought a click type 1/2 torque wrench. Haven’t had a chance to test it next to my beam type with the pointer. $12 at the local pawn shop.
Posted By: WE b OLD

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Jul 17 2019 05:53 PM

A new credit card. wave

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Jul 17 2019 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by WE b OLD
A new credit card. wave

No doubt, that's a tool. But I'll bet it isn't the last tool you bought. wink

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Jul 18 2019 08:22 PM

I just built a sheet metal bender and ordered a bead roller. I'm making a floor pan for my '38 and a full set for my '68 Sunbeam Alpine.
Posted By: miraclepieco

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Jul 20 2019 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
Bought a click type 1/2 torque wrench. Haven’t had a chance to test it next to my beam type with the pointer. $12 at the local pawn shop.

Just when I finally got a clicker torque wrench, then I find out they're obsolete and the latest greatest thing is the electric drive torque wrench. Just put it on the bolt and you never have to move it - it does all the work!

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Jul 20 2019 07:01 AM

Picked up a nice used 60 gal 5 HP 14 CFM air compressor. US made in 1992. Vertical model so working on finding a home for it in the corner of my garage.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Jul 20 2019 04:05 PM

I remember my older brother having a sunbeam alpine when I was a kid. Someone said the transmission was put in wrong because of it’s shift pattern. To this day I don’t know what happened to that little car

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Jul 20 2019 04:08 PM

Oh geez grigg, that’s not a tool that’s a shop fixture

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Jul 21 2019 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by klhansen
Picked up a nice used 60 gal 5 HP 14 CFM air compressor. US made in 1992. Vertical model so working on finding a home for it in the corner of my garage.

I did that. My suggestion would be to find somewhere outside of the garage to place it.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Jul 21 2019 04:56 AM

I did that. My suggestion would be to find somewhere outside of the garage to place it.

I would, but it would be unusable in the winter. I do have earplugs to use. I'm sure my wife would object to me putting it in her greenhouse attached to the back of the garage. wink

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Jul 21 2019 03:21 PM

I hear ya! I'm in the same boat.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Jul 21 2019 08:56 PM

I hear ya! I'm in the same boat.

You must mean the part about the wife. wink

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Jul 22 2019 12:57 AM

My dad got me a 4.5” cordless 20V Dewalt grinder! I’m eager to try it out. I owe him a vise as I broke his a little while back. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Jul 22 2019 01:15 AM

Zerk Zapper Grease Fitting Cleaner. We'll see if it can get the one fitting in the front end that won't take grease. I got the version that has interchangeable pistons - typical hammer strike piston and air-hammer adapter. I'm going to try the gentler approach before going to the air tool. I like this model - made in USA, and double o-ringed - which is why I got it, not so much the air hammer adapter.

Attached picture s-l1600SUWYV6CR.jpg

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Jul 22 2019 04:34 AM

Oh I forgot! I also bought a little timing light. No more guessing anymore or going by ear!
Posted By: WE b OLD

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Jul 22 2019 11:51 PM

I know some tools. I did by a carb vacuum gauge.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Thu Jul 25 2019 07:25 PM

Bought a Hitachi 10” Table Saw. Found it at a OKC Pawn Shop for what I thought was a good negotiated price. Appears like new or lightly used.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Jul 26 2019 12:54 PM

Bought a Woodward Tool bead roller, to help make floor pans.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Fri Jul 26 2019 02:24 PM

Metal brake attachment, to be used with my 12 ton press. I did a couple quick trials on 1/8" mild steel, and it works well. The specs that say it will handle up to 3/8" steel may be a bit optimistic, but for most brackets, looks like it will work well. I caught a free shipping plus discount deal that I couldn't pass up. My bench vice will appreciate not taking a beating to bend heavier metal.

Attached picture p21560.jpg

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Jul 29 2019 03:53 AM

Got two sets of louver dies (2" and 3") to use in my Diacro press brake...

https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/rmccartney/Metalworking%202/IMG_5440.jpg
Posted By: tom moore

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Tue Jul 30 2019 11:43 AM

maybe it was a ball joint removal kit. I don't remember buying it, and my memory is poor.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Aug 03 2019 01:31 AM

Just got back from Harbour Freight. Found a 48" rechargeable work light. You can hang this under the hood and light up everything. Had a 20% off coupon so it didn't hurt my wallet to bad.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Aug 12 2019 12:25 PM

Bought a Lincoin Spool Gun for my MIG 140. I couldn't find anyone locally that would weld aluminum for a reasonable price. The hourly rate around here is $75.00 with a 2 hour minimum. The cost of the Spool Gun will pay for it's self in two uses.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Aug 12 2019 04:56 PM

Just ordered a Argon gas regulator and gauges for my Miller welder.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Mon Aug 19 2019 04:33 PM

Back to Harbor Freight. Bought a power steering pump pulley tool. Worked great, saved a lot of cussin and probably some bleeding too.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Wed Aug 21 2019 01:31 AM

New circular saw. Cuts great!
Posted By: BigBlockMan

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sat Aug 24 2019 04:39 AM

Clutch head socket set and 8 point socket set.

Re: What was the last tool you bought? - Sun Sep 01 2019 09:38 PM

Headed to Harbor Freight tomorrow and get some door prizes for the KC Reunion!
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/forums/56/1/stovebolt-reunion-kansas-city.html

Don
© 2019 The Stovebolt Forums