Stovebolt.com
Posted By: John Milliman Bill "Flxible" LePage - Sun Jan 05 2020 04:34 PM
A dear, old friend of ours, of all of our, has passed away (Thursday) -- Bill LePage. Known by either "Flxible" or "Squeeze" on our site, Bill was one of the early behind-the-scenes staffers here at Stovebolt from the early days of having a forum.... From finding and fixing broken links, to helping us understand coding issues, to just plain being a friend when a friend was needed, so much of what has made Stovebolt.com good is a direct result of his knowledge, experience, skill and passion, not only for the trucks themselves, but also for the people.

There are so many parts of the site, including some wonderful and thought-provoking discussions, that are Bill's. From the beginning, he took a lot of time to help us understand the Internet. He taught simply and with humor. Bill even put together a "User Manual" for the forum that has helped countless numbers of 'Bolters participate here -- just a huge effort. The stories he told about the orchard, gardening, compost, Wikipedia, computers, trucks, da bus ... everything ... were heart-warming, light, deep, simple, detailed. Peggy could talk to him for hours when they occasionally talked on the phone. Whenever Peggy emailed him in an emergency, he was always quick to respond and help us fix the problem(s). Pruning trees, even. The things we learned from him regarding our christmas tree farm ... taking care of evergreen seedlings not so different from apple trees ... Sharing a love of and fascination with very large flying boats ...

Bill was a true "renaissance man" and the quintessential Stovebolter -- A learned man of varied interests and passions. A good listener, knowledgeable and wise when asked for info, and always ready to share what he knew in a quiet, humble way. Never proud or boastful, he always seemed eager to learn from others, as well. He was involved in many things; I imagine many people will miss him. I know many people have been blessed to have known him.

Now that he has won his hard-fought victory over his long-term health issues, the soft spot we have for Bill remains, much like his influence on the site. His influence on all our lives will endure and continue to put a smile on the face of anyone who ever was blessed to have been in contact with him in anyway.

In many ways, Stovebolt.com will be a reflection of Bill probably for as long as there continues to be a Stovebolt.com.

Thank you, Bill. We will miss you.

John and Peggy
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: Bill "Flxible" LePage - Sun Jan 05 2020 05:00 PM
Enjoyed reading his posts. RIP Bill “Flxible” LePage.
Posted By: Rusty Rod Re: Bill "Flxible" LePage - Mon Jan 06 2020 01:59 AM
RIP Squeeze.
Posted By: Leo Re: Bill "Flxible" LePage - Mon Jan 06 2020 11:37 AM
Rest in peace, Bill. I also enjoyed your many posts.
Posted By: tclederman Re: Bill "Flxible" LePage - Mon Jan 06 2020 11:45 AM
Rest In Peace, Bill
Posted By: Tiny Re: Bill "Flxible" LePage - Mon Jan 06 2020 11:29 PM
We are poorer by his loss. RIP Bill.
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: Bill "Flxible" LePage - Tue Jan 07 2020 08:05 PM
I remember Bill and always wanted to meet and chat with him. Maybe someday in the future.
Sleep well Bill and know we miss you.
Posted By: Rich'sToys Re: Bill "Flxible" LePage - Wed Jan 08 2020 04:44 AM
Sorry to learn of Bill's passing.
Rest in Peace.
Posted By: tomctomc Re: Bill "Flxible" LePage - Wed Jan 08 2020 09:40 AM
He was helpful to me on my project... big loss to the community
Posted By: LAROKE Re: Bill "Flxible" LePage - Wed Jan 08 2020 12:08 PM
He was one of a kind and he left a mark. We are all diminished when we lose someone like this. Godspeed Squeeze.
Posted By: J Lucas Re: Bill "Flxible" LePage - Wed Jan 08 2020 03:06 PM
Never had the opportunity to meet Bill, but I enjoyed reading his post's.

RIP Bill

John
Posted By: John Milliman Re: Bill "Flxible" LePage - Sun Jan 12 2020 03:05 PM
Should have included this earlier. Here is Bill's website that offers a glimpse of several of his passions: his old trucks, gardening, and the 1947 Flxible Clipper coach known as "da bus." There's a lot of neat stuff.

Here is his 1958 Chevy Longbed, a "working 'Bolt" ... featured in our Working Bolts calendar.

"Another old guy with varied interests, particularly creating, and making old things new again. Enjoy it while you’ve got it, all good things end."
Posted By: Phak1 Re: Bill "Flxible" LePage - Sun Jan 12 2020 03:47 PM
Thanks John. I just viewed his website and it was very entertaining. I didn’t know him but I’ve read many of his post and he will surely be missed. He was a very artistic man of many talents. Did he ever finish the “Flxable” bus he was working on? It was turning out beautiful.

I love a quote he had on his site, “ Enjoy it while you’ve got it, all good things end.”

“Rest In Peace” my friend!
Posted By: 63 C-10 Carolina Fleetside Re: Bill "Flxible" LePage - Sun Jan 12 2020 04:58 PM
He has been a presence on here as long as I've been here. Thanks Bill, Godspeed.
Posted By: SmithLakeChevy Re: Bill "Flxible" LePage - Sun Jan 12 2020 08:56 PM
My sincere condolences from Alabama. I can see from his website that we shared a lot of common interest. I was seriously into the organic life and homesteading back in the late 70’s and early 80’s and I still have three compost bins in the backyard. I also love to repurpose things.

I can see from my past searches that Bill was an integral part of this Stovebolt community. May he rest in peace and know that, as John said, “His influence on all our lives will endure and continue to put a smile on the face of anyone who ever was blessed to have been in contact with him in anyway”.
Posted By: baldeagle Re: Bill "Flxible" LePage - Fri Jan 24 2020 02:02 AM
I've been asked by Bill's wife to post a couple of things; his obituary and his living will. Both are a clear reflection of who Bill was, his sense of humor, and his love of life.

Living Will

I, William A LePage, currently of sound mind and body, do not wish to be kept alive indefinitely by artificial means.

The days of my years are numbered. While they last, I would wish to be productive, and have some small share of pleasure.

Under no circumstances should my fate be put in the hands of politicians, lawyers, or doctors padding the balance sheet.

If a reasonable amount of time passes and I fail to ask for at least one of the following:

My truck keys
My tool bag
Dark Chocolate
Greek Salad
An enchilada or bean burrito

It should be presumed that I won't be getting better. When such a determination is reached, I hereby instruct my appointed person and attending physicians to pull the plug, reel in the tubes, and turn out the lights, "The party's over!"

Hopefully, I will have left the space I disturbed by my passing through, a small bit better.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

obit:
Bill was born on a Friday the 13th, in October 1944 in Motor City USA, to Paul R. and Lucy P., who pre-deceased him. A community supporter, he is noted for making the Best Cider Vinegar in the Known Universe, and making old things new again. He loved peace and quiet and creating odd things.

Weary of reading obituaries about someone's courageous battle with death, Bill wants it known that he died as a natural consequence of being alive, after raising hell for more than seven decades.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

"Good health is .... dying at the slowest possible rate"

Sept, 2015

Attached File
LePage, William Obit.pdf  (36 downloads)
Posted By: baldeagle Re: Bill "Flxible" LePage - Fri Jan 24 2020 02:04 AM
I also want to let you know that we will be incorporating Bill's website into the Stovebolt site. I working on arrangements now to import his site to Stovebolt. So the Flxible will live as long as Stovebolt lives.
Posted By: Tiny Re: Bill "Flxible" LePage - Fri Jan 31 2020 12:40 AM
Now THAT is cool.
Posted By: Peggy M Re: Bill "Flxible" LePage - Wed Feb 05 2020 05:53 PM
We've got some more information from Dawn and hopefully Paul will be able to move Bill's site soon. Dawn sent more pictures we can load up there, too.

Peggy
Posted By: mapleleaf Re: Bill "Flxible" LePage - Mon Mar 30 2020 02:25 AM
Bill was a great guy and I will miss him. He was a great help to me with advice and parts to help me with Esmerelda - my 55 longbox. But I also respected Bill for not getting into the mud when he was slagged in the past.. .he responded with wit, grace and humour...a class act that is all too rare. RIP Bill.. glad you made Canuckistan your home.
Posted By: bznhafdzn Re: Bill "Flxible" LePage - Mon Mar 30 2020 03:26 AM
Bill was a friend and a unique guy. Sent me some apple cider vinegar once. Made a livin in that Vancouver orchard. Maybe one of the most knowledgeable guys on old trucks I ever met....saddens me.
Posted By: mapleleaf Re: Bill "Flxible" LePage - Mon Mar 30 2020 05:42 PM
One day in the mail a huge slab of applewood arrived from Bill unannounced. Sent it clear across the country. Big enough to make a nice end table for the cottage. I managed to repay him in part with a VIA rail conductor hat that I got from my buddy. That is just the type of guy he was - and his knowledge of tri five trucks was unparalleled.

Hope all is well Bzzn. Just me and Packy over at the OTN now, a third of our membership just disappeared. ...oh well it has been many years since the old glory days....I remember when the Internet was huge..lol
Posted By: bznhafdzn Re: Bill "Flxible" LePage - Tue Mar 31 2020 03:25 AM
Mapes...

Nice to hear from you...been awhile...hope ur well....I think squeeze was 6 or 7 years older than me...kinda makes you think!....I’ve gotten arthritis pretty bad...so much so....that I’ve been putting a new engine and an automatic in my little truck which was what led me over here to try to find a solution to a tv linkage problem but alas....

If ya can, post a link to Norse’s site...I’ve lost my way in my old age...
Posted By: Sedgewick Re: Bill "Flxible" LePage - Fri May 22 2020 09:58 PM
Many years ago I had the need to get a open drive Chevy transmission for a conversion I was doing. Bill lived a few hours from me on the island. I called him and we arranged a visit. When I arrived not only did I see his cider press and his collection of trucks (I don't recall the bus however) but also two transmissions two rear ends and a driveshaft all set to put into the trunk of my old Malibu.
A very generous man indeed and his wisdom will be missed by so many.
RIP Bill
© The Stovebolt Forums