Stovebolt.com
Posted By: TUTS 59 "Homecoming" ??? - Wed Jan 13 2021 05:49 PM
I was just reading some of the posts in the ODSS forum, John( the Grand Pooh Bear) suggests that we "Bolters" plan a gathering closer to our own neck of the woods. Has anyone given any thought to this? A place that would be relatively central for us "Southern Bolters"? A date perhaps to align with their gathering at the ATHS in Maryland?

I'm open to suggestions just so we can start planning.
Posted By: John L. Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Thu Jan 14 2021 05:32 PM
I'm in middle tn. and would be up for a get together somewhere. Hopefully more intrested folks will post so we can get an idea where everyone is located so we can pick a central location.
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Thu Jan 14 2021 05:45 PM
You get something planned and I may just join you. That will depend on location and the date that it will be held.
Keep an eye on the Heartland Bolter’s, we are also thinking about a May/June gathering in Mid Missouri.
Also one in Iowa. Then the big Reunion in KC this September.

Grand Pooh Bear, I like that name for John!
Don
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Thu Jan 14 2021 05:46 PM
John, I was hoping to get more input from some of the other "Southern Bolters". I am willing to travel and maybe make a trip out of it for my Wife and I. I suppose that with all that is going on planning a gathering isn't a high priority for many.

I'm familiar with the Knoxville / Gatlinburg area, spent some time at the McGhee Tyson Air Guard Base. I was thinking a state park or something similar?
Posted By: PaPa Joe Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Thu Jan 14 2021 06:31 PM
Roll Call: Where is everyone (Southern Bolters) from?
I am in west North Carolina and interested.
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Thu Jan 14 2021 06:54 PM
PaPa Joe, we started a locator map for the Southern Bolters, it never really caught on I guess. There are 2 versions of the map the first was just us loading members locations, the second was actually a websearch Map. The Goggle map is on this forum and you should be able to load your location to that.

There are plenty of folks in the South it's just that we are spread out over about 7 States.
Posted By: panel fan Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Thu Jan 14 2021 07:03 PM
There is a chevy truck only event somewhere in Tennessee on the 9th of July , do any of the southern bolters attend this event . I have parts here I need to get to Tennessee and I'd be happy to meet any other bolters there , If I'm allowed across the border by then that is .

John
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Thu Jan 14 2021 10:18 PM
Here is the all GM truck Nationals in Tennessee link.
https://gmtruckshow.com/

Edit: This would be a great place to meet up this summer for the Southern Bolter's.
Too early to tell because there is not much info yet. But If I can make it, I'll have the Stovebolt awning with me to show who we are.

Don
Posted By: Wayne67vert Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Thu Jan 14 2021 11:28 PM
I've been wanting to visit Tennessee. Count me in.
I'll bring my '38.
Posted By: Tommy Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Fri Jan 15 2021 12:02 AM
I'm about as far south as you can get in Louisiana.
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Fri Jan 15 2021 12:18 AM
Since Tut's started this thread, he should be the lead on what happens. Can I be a Ad hoc member of the Southern Bolters?

Don
Posted By: John Milliman Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Fri Jan 15 2021 01:44 AM
Originally Posted by 2-Ton
Can I be a Adhoc member of the Southern Bolters?

Don

No. nono
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Fri Jan 15 2021 12:51 PM
I'm up for the GM Truck Nationals, the July 9th and 10th time frame would give us time to plan something. https://gmtruckshow.com/ There isn't a lot of information out on the show just yet, I'll see I can contact the Wilson County / Lebanon Fair Commission and may the C10 club?

Would these dates work for most of us? Lebanon is just east of Nashville off I40, here is an link to the area https://www.tnvacation.com/middle-tennessee/lebanon
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Fri Jan 15 2021 09:42 PM
I talked to the wife and she is up for me being gone for a few days this summer.
So as of right now, count me in on attending. My attending will also include a stay Saturday night in a downtown Nashville hotel within walking distance of Broadway.

But it is too early to make any plans without more info about the show.
Don
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Sat Jan 16 2021 01:38 AM
My Loving Bride seems to be up to a road trip. drive I thought we might make a week of it and take the camper. I don't foresee my 59' being on the road by then but I did play the Lottery tonight. .... I will definitely put some effort behind planning this, hopefully more members will climb on board. thumbs_up
Posted By: 1954 MI Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Sat Jan 16 2021 01:40 PM
My Dad and I have been looking at attending this show the last couple years, so if some Stovebolters are going to be there, we will plan on attending.
If you need additional details, you can call: (615) 581-1007

--Tom
Posted By: Wayne67vert Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Sat Jan 16 2021 01:41 PM
Tom, the link doesn't work
Posted By: 1954 MI Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Sat Jan 16 2021 01:44 PM
Sorry, for some reason the link to their f a c e b o o k page won't work.
You can go to the contact page on their website for more info.
https://gmtruckshow.com/contact-us/
Posted By: tclederman Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Sat Jan 16 2021 01:51 PM
this is correct for (615) 581-1007 [gmtruckshow.com]

That link in your two posts goes to an "interesting" website.

Your link to https://www.thatanti-Americansocialmediasite.com/SETNShow/ was "interesting" - it seems to be blocked/disabled, now?
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Sat Jan 16 2021 11:14 PM
Since this will be a Southern Bolter’s gathering, it should have It’s own name.
The Homecoming is an ODSS thing/name, the Stovebolt Reunion is also taken, so what do you Southern Bolter’s think?
Looks like it could get a good turnout!

BTW, where is Alvin?
He can bring the Hotdogs!
Don
Posted By: Wayne67vert Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Sat Jan 16 2021 11:32 PM
Call it 'Tennessee Truck Show.'

I'm looking for a trailer to put my truck on.
Posted By: Hotrod Lincoln Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Sun Jan 17 2021 05:41 AM
Just a bit south of Lebanon, there is a state park with excellent campground facilities. That's my home territory- - - - -went to high school in Wilson County Tennessee back in the 1960's, and Cedars of Lebanon state park was a favorite place to watch the "submarine races" on a summer night!

Edit: In addition to the campground, there are cabins available for rent, and a group lodge with kitchen facilities, a meeting room, and dormitory-style sleeping quarters for up to 80 people. That one might be reserved already if there's a big event like the Chevy show nearby, but smaller facilities might be available if reservations can be made soon.

https://tnstateparks.com/parks/cedars-of-lebanon

Jerry
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Sun Jan 17 2021 03:38 PM
"Southern Fried Reunion".... grin
Posted By: Hotrod Lincoln Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Sun Jan 17 2021 05:10 PM
We could name it after Nashville rush hour traffic every day- - - -the "Redneck 500"!
Jerry
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Sun Jan 17 2021 06:24 PM
So I was out racking the yard and running some ideas around in my head, I would like to have a name that says "Southern" but nothing outlandish. The idea is that if this comes together and we do meet up it could be something we do annually, maybe not the same location so others could attend. I like Jerry's idea about a local park or State Park. I thought that something like "Southeastern Stovebolt Jamboree", it says Southern and should not offend the masses. Any thoughts ????

I have a source for Tee shirts and even decals if we decide to go that far.
Posted By: Hotrod Lincoln Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Sun Jan 17 2021 06:54 PM
Just kidding about the name, but the Tennessee state park system has facilities at just about all of their locations adequate to host small to medium-sized gatherings. A lot of the parks statewide have excellent hotel and restaurant facilities, campgrounds, cabins capable of accommodating small groups, and outdoor pavilions or more formal indoor facilities for group meetings, etc. With a north/south distance of 100 miles or so, and an east/west span of close to 400 miles, the location is pretty centrally located to a lot of us southeastern bolters.
Jerry
Posted By: John L. Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Tue Jan 19 2021 05:48 PM
The state park locations are a great idea. The only problem I see with that is those of you wanting to camp is most TN campground spots are probably already booked. The Wilson co. fairgrounds where the Chevy/GMC truck show is can accomidate over 1000
campers. That's a bunch but thats what the website says. For more info search Wilson Co Fairgrounds. Lebanon also has many motels to choose from with reasonable rates. I attend several events there each year and this is a wonderful facility. I know I sound like I'm pushing for the lebanon location but anywhere is fine with me just want ya'll to be aware of the camping situation.
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Fri Jan 22 2021 12:27 PM
Update, there are pavilions at Cedars of Lebanon available for the weekend of July 9th and 10th, the rental fee is $62.00. The pavilions have BBQ grills and tables, restrooms and parking at each area. There is a max number of 50 persons and social distancing is recommended. I can book a pavilion for that Saturday if that day works better for those wanting to get together.

I would like to have count of sorts prior to making the reservation, if you are planning to join us please let me know. smile
Posted By: Wayne67vert Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Fri Jan 22 2021 01:43 PM
Craig, I'm planning on coming with my wife.
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Fri Jan 22 2021 09:24 PM
I think its time I had better check in since I started this "Southern Stovebolters" thing a few years ago. I have had a tough time the past couple years but things are beginning to simmer down so I'm up for whatever is decided.

I have sent TUT a message and email and will help co-ordinate this anyway I can. I will try to find my email list of approx. over 100 Southern Bolters email addresses. A list of sorts always seems to work better for me as everyone reads their email but don't visit Stovebolt daily.

I'll see what I can do. Had problems with computer a while back and it won't seem to let me seen a big "group" email. I'll get my IT neighbor on it this weekend.

I'm still hoping to have "one more" here local but not sure yet. We do need to make plans though for a month/day and be ready if all goes well.....guess I better clean up the old 37.
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Sat Jan 23 2021 01:25 AM
Craig, I really appreciate you taking the Lead on the First Annual, Stovebolt Southeastern Jamboree!
As of right now I plan on attending. The wife may even be with me? But with more than six months away, things could change.
I would like to see the event at the show grounds, with the show going on and maybe areas to camp, also hotels nearby.
We can make a weekend out of it. Kind of a mirror of the Stovebolt Reunion in KC every year.

Contacting the hosting club would be the first thing to do. Ask if we can park together? Camping arrangements? Can we have a Stovebolt flag and awning?
I would think that the hosting club already knows about the Stovebolt page and would welcome more entries.

Since We do not live in the southeast, I can only offer my thoughts. It is your event, so make it yours!

PM will be sent with some more of my thoughts on how to coordinate the event.
Don King
Posted By: Hotrod Lincoln Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Sun Jan 24 2021 02:57 AM
I'm about 75 miles from Lebanon. If I can help coordinate things, count me in. Did you check on cabin rentals? If a few of us could chip in on a cabin for the weekend, that would help with kitchen and shower facilities plus a place to hang out 24/7 for a couple of days. Beats a campground bath house!

Don, we can probably award you "Honorary Southeasterner" status, at least for a weekend!
Jerry
Posted By: TPR57C Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Sun Jan 24 2021 09:56 AM
HRL i would love to be coming and vouch that Don could be a honorary southeasterner for a weekend
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Sun Jan 24 2021 02:42 PM
Thanks for the support guys! John hurt my tender feelings with his quick reply. I cried for over an hour till my wife reminded me that The Grand Pooh Bear promoted me to
"Stovebolt Knight Commander, Midwest District". That made me feel better and my heart was happy again.

Back on topic, I plan on attending and will bring the Stovebolt flag, awning and Stovebolt 25th Anniversary stickers.

Some questions if we do the Jamboree at the show?
Can we park together and set up the Stovebolt awning for our HQ?
Can we use a small grill and do up some hotdogs for Alvin?
The show hosting club will need to answer these questions.

Craig, I'll send you a PM later with some more thoughts on getting the ball rolling.
Don
Posted By: John L. Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Mon Jan 25 2021 12:24 PM
Sounds like a plan! I'm right at 60 miles from lebanon and I'll be glad to help anyway I can.
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Tue Jan 26 2021 01:26 PM
I checked on camp sites, the rates vary depending on the dates. For me, a 2 night camp site was $74.00, full hook ups. Cabin range between $129.00 - $250.00 per night and you will need to make reservations in advance. You may want to reserve your site early as the dates will no doubt fill up... I have sent an email to the local C10 Club asking about parking and site set-up at the event. I will pass on the info once I hear back from them. More to come.
Posted By: Hotrod Lincoln Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Wed Jan 27 2021 03:30 AM
My camping days are about over, especially since my 35 foot class A motorhome that my grandson was living in burned to the ground when his dog turned over a space heater one cold morning. No casualties- - - -even the dog survived, but the coach was a total loss. Anybody want to split the cost of a cabin, 2 or 3 ways for a couple of nights? That would drop the price to less than a decent motel room.

OK- - - - -2-bedroom cabins are available- - - -check in Friday 7/9, check out Sunday 7/11- - - -$336.00 total. Split 4 ways (bring a cot or sleeping bag) that's< $90.00 apiece for the weekend. If anybody's interested, I can make a reservation. Right now, there are 4 cabins available at that rate.
Jerry
Posted By: Hotrod Lincoln Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Thu Jan 28 2021 01:23 AM
BTW- - - - - -if anybody's interested, some pulled pork BBQ like I brought to Grigg's can be made available- - - - -maybe even smoked overnight on site. I think I might be able to slip in a hotdog or three for Alvin as well!
Jerry
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Thu Jan 28 2021 01:56 AM
Screw the Hotdogs!
I've had your pulled pork before!!
It would be worth the drive just to taste it again!

Don
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Thu Jan 28 2021 06:41 PM
I just heard back from the folks at the GM Truck Nationals, they don't have an issue with us having a canopy or flag and banner. They did suggest that we try to come in as a group so that we could stage our trucks together, if we had I couple of late stragglers we could try and save them a spot.

So now that this thing looks like it's going to come together I'm going to start a new thread to post information and updates in. Thank you for all the ideas and links, I'm sure I'll be picking your brains more as we go.

Craig
Posted By: Wayne67vert Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Thu Jan 28 2021 08:00 PM
Craig, post a link here to the new thread.
Thanks
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: "Homecoming" ??? - Thu Jan 28 2021 08:16 PM
The new thread is here https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...hern-stovebolt-jamboree.html#Post1394749
© The Stovebolt Forums