Stovebolt.com
Posted By: hardshell A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Wed Feb 17 2021 12:06 AM
Today, I had to take a look at a job in Columbia, Virginia. Since I was only a few miles from the great old collection of trucks that I was talking about on here last year, I went by there and found one of the owners. I mentioned to him that i had a very interested group of guys that want to come by and see these great trucks. I asked if it would be ok to come by next month and see the trucks and I assured him that we would not bother anything. I'm happy to say that this trip is a GO and i would like to plan to go on Saturday, March 6. We could meet at my place and leave from here. I'm about 25-30 miles from the truck collection and I can have several guys ride along with me. I'm not planning to drive my 50 since the roads are chemical and sand layered right now. This is an amazing collection of trucks that you will likely never see any place else on the east coast. This date may possibly change due to weather conditions or the slim possibility that the owners ask us to move the date. I told him I would call him at the end of the month to let him know when we were planning to come by. I just need to know who would like to go and then we can figure out a meeting time ?
Posted By: SWEET Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Wed Feb 17 2021 01:31 AM
Jim showed me a few photos he took last time he was there. There are a LOT of trucks. If I do not have soccer, I'd love to go.
Posted By: 52Carl Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Wed Feb 17 2021 01:38 AM
I am definitely in.
Posted By: Hambone Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Wed Feb 17 2021 02:44 AM
I am planning on it.
Posted By: Mike B Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Wed Feb 17 2021 03:11 AM
I'm in weather permitting!

I Googled Columbia, VA and that about 2-1/2 hours from here.

How much time will we have to walk around?

Does he sell anything (should I bring tools?), or is this just a photo op?

Thanks for setting this up!

Mike B smile
Posted By: hardshell Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Wed Feb 17 2021 03:43 AM
This collection of trucks was purchased by the father of the two Gentlemen that now own their father's trucking Business and the collection. Their Dad loved old trucks and purchased most of them out west and brought them back east. Probably when he was traveling back east without a load to haul, he would bring back trucks on his 18 wheeler (I'm assuming that he did not make special trips just for truck hauling) They told me this past summer that they were thinking of having an auction to sell the ones that they did not plan to keep. They have an incredible collection and when I first met them, I asked if they were ever going to sell them, they didn't say no, he just said that he had no idea what his father paid for the trucks. So I'm pretty sure that nothing is for sale at this point. A friend was with me last summer and tried to buy one of the 3 old oval Ford signs and he actually bugged the guy so much that it made me uncomfortable. These guys are really nice men and I am hoping to see the other building (full of jewels and an old HERTZ mustang GT) that I was told about that has the prize possesions inside. I have not asked but I'm hoping we can see them too. There is at least 60 trucks there. It could be closer to 100. I counted 30 in one field and there are 2 more buildings with trucks packed inside and all around them.

Jim
Posted By: hardshell Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Wed Feb 17 2021 03:55 AM
Mike, I think we will be able to spend several hours admiring the collection without wearing out our welcome. The Gentleman was sitting in front of a computer taking care of business so I just talked to him a few minutes and asked about bringing my interested friends to admire the trucks. The scene over there is so incredible because he was actually sitting in a very large room that is completely filled with vintage antique signs that there father also collected! I bet there is over 400 signs in there. It is unbelievable to see that many collectible items in one place! I knew about the collection many years ago but I never checked it out because everyone said that their father would not sell anything. Their Dad passed some time in the last couple of years. I'm not sure exactly when.

Jim
Posted By: Pat66 Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Wed Feb 17 2021 06:07 PM
I'm planning on coming as well.
Posted By: KEVINSKI Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Wed Feb 17 2021 07:40 PM
When you guys go take a lot of pictures please .Let them know about this site would like to hear the stories behind those trucks if he joins.
Posted By: Mike Roache Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Thu Feb 18 2021 12:52 AM
I'm in
Posted By: Mike B Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Thu Feb 18 2021 03:38 AM
Hey Mike and Doug...maybe we can put a SOMD carpool together?

Mike B smile
Posted By: Mike Roache Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Fri Feb 19 2021 02:07 AM
sounds good to me
Posted By: John Milliman Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Fri Feb 19 2021 05:15 PM
SoMD carpool??? Cool! Hambone's 'Burb!!!
Posted By: Bill Marlow Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Tue Feb 23 2021 04:26 PM
Sounds like fun. I'm in if there is enough room!
Posted By: hardshell Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Sat Feb 27 2021 01:36 PM
Hey Fellas, I'll be calling in to the guys that have the truck collection a little later today to confirm us for next Saturday. i told them I would do this. I will be getting back to everyone afterward so we can get straight on a time to meet. We could meet up at my place and then convoy over there since it is close to me. We will figure out the details in the next few days.

Jim
Posted By: hardshell Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Sun Feb 28 2021 12:59 AM
I called the two gentlemen but did not get to talk to them. I did leave a message and my phone number. I will go by there on Monday afternoon just to be sure that this coming Saturday is ok. It's just a little over 30 minutes from my house to get there so we could meet at my place around 9:00 -9:30 on Saturday (or earlier, but I know some of you have more than 2 hours of driving to get here). I will PM my address and phone number to each of you just to keep it from traveling the globe via our website. I'm just trying to get the ball rolling for next Saturday. Hopefully, the weather will be in our favor and we can change the date later in the week if necessary. However, almost half of these trucks are under roof so we don't really have to cancel if a few rain showers are possible. Just my thoughts.

Jim
Posted By: Bill Marlow Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Mon Mar 01 2021 12:14 PM
Great work on the Jim. Thanks for putting this together.
Looking forward to it.
Posted By: hardshell Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Mon Mar 01 2021 05:55 PM
My pleasure Bill. We always have a great time whenever we gather for any reason ! I spoke to the owner of the truck collection today and we are welcome to go on Saturday. He said he would be around on Saturday too. So those of you that are planning to go, just let me know if 9:00 -9:30 is a good estimated time to arrive at my place? Here is a few details that I know about using a GPS to find my house, once you turn on Cartersville Rd, for some reason most GPS systems do not take you all the way to my driveway. Instead they lead you off down a dead end road about a mile away. With that in mind, here is some details to know...... My mailbox is numbered and directly across from my driveway. I will place my 2000 Chevy, dark blue single cab pick-up close to my driveway so you can find me since you cannot see my house from the road. For those travelling route 522 to get to me, it's 2 miles to my driveway (on the right). From I-64, it is approximately 3 miles to my driveway (on the left). ..... I have seen a weather forecast that wasn't terrible and hopefully, we will see the Sun as we gaze in amazement !
Posted By: hardshell Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Mon Mar 01 2021 06:02 PM
One more detail that might be helpful since my street has a different name in Goochland county, the route number for Cartersville Rd is State route 629. If anyone gets confused with my info for directions, just let me know and I'll give you more "country style " Landmarks !!
Posted By: TPR57C Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Mon Mar 01 2021 06:51 PM
Have a good weekend ,I wished I needed the directions but photos will do
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Mon Mar 01 2021 07:50 PM
Too far for me also, for just a Junk Yard Tour.
Please take a lot of pictures and post them!

Tim, any old junk yards in your area we can tour?
Don
Posted By: TPR57C Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Tue Mar 02 2021 05:30 AM
Don One out in the outback we would have lot of fun getting there Alice springs is out there
Posted By: hardshell Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Tue Mar 02 2021 12:06 PM
Now I'm sure we are off course enough that someone will surely get lost. .... NOW, back on the topic, my place is centrally located for meeting since Carl is to the East (coming along I hope?) Pat is Northwest, Maryland's Car pool is North and the truck location is South of me but I'm flexible so just let me know who is coming and a time to meet either at my place or the downtown, one skinny horse town of Columbia where you should not go alone !!
Posted By: Bill Marlow Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Tue Mar 02 2021 12:52 PM
9-9:30 works for me. I will shout out if I get turned around. Looking forward to it.

(FWIW I won't be CAR pooling from Maryland....just sayin)
Posted By: 52Carl Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Wed Mar 03 2021 01:43 AM
Hardshell,
I will meet you at 09:00 at your house.
Carl
Posted By: Mike B Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Wed Mar 03 2021 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Mike B
Hey Mike and Doug...maybe we can put a SOMD carpool together?

Mike B smile

Change of plans on my end, I'll be driving by myself...see you all at Jim's Saturday at 9am.

Mike B
Posted By: Mike Roache Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Wed Mar 03 2021 09:13 PM
I'll be there
Posted By: Hambone Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Thu Mar 04 2021 12:33 AM
I will be on time as well
Posted By: hardshell Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Thu Mar 04 2021 02:39 AM
Sounds good fellas ! I look forward to seeing everyone and taking you to one unique collection of trucks from the good ol days. I hope someone can possibly kidnap John and bring him along !

Jim
Posted By: John Milliman Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Thu Mar 04 2021 01:55 PM
I wish you could.... but I doubt it will happen.

frown
Posted By: Mike B Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Sun Mar 07 2021 02:08 AM
I want to thank Jim (hardshell) again for putting today's field trip together and for feeding us, I had a great time!

Mike B smile
Posted By: hardshell Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Sun Mar 07 2021 03:19 AM
My pleasure Mike. I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did! I'll have to load some pictures on here from my phone. That is an incredible sight to see. I plan to stay in touch with those guys and I will let everyone know when they plan an auction.

Jim
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Sun Mar 07 2021 04:28 AM
Setting on the back of a truck waiting for the pictures!
Anybody get any goodies?

Don
Posted By: Bill Marlow Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Sun Mar 07 2021 12:24 PM
Jim, thank you very much. Most fun I have had since Winchester! The weather was great, we saw an unbelievable collection of vintage iron. It was well worth the trip down 95 for me.
Thanks again Jim to you and your wife for the lunch , the hospitality and for arranging the tour.
Posted By: hardshell Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Sun Mar 07 2021 01:53 PM
I'm trying to link some photos without proper computer knowledge !
Posted By: hardshell Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Sun Mar 07 2021 02:51 PM
Hopefully Sweet can help me out. I just emailed a link to a group of pics. I can't seem to get them loaded for everyone to see! I could get you some electricity to plug in your PC but placing a picture on here of my work . Just ain't happening for me !!
Posted By: hardshell Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Sun Mar 07 2021 03:00 PM
No luck again
Posted By: Pat66 Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Sun Mar 07 2021 03:32 PM
Big thanks to Jim and Jane, great trucks , food and southern hospitality. Pat
Posted By: SWEET Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Sun Mar 07 2021 06:04 PM
Thanks Jim for setting up a great event! While I was not able to attend, I heard it was a great time.

Here is Jim's link to photos:

Virginia Truck Heaven [amazon.com]
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Sun Mar 07 2021 07:00 PM
WOW! What a collection!
Anybody make any offers to buy?

Don
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Sun Mar 07 2021 08:32 PM
Looks like there was something there for almost anyone. When they do have the sale it’s going to be huge.
Posted By: hardshell Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Sun Mar 07 2021 10:29 PM
This collection is now owned by several family members which likely prevents spur-of-the-moment decisions by one person to sell anything. They aren't interested in selling things one piece at a time. I am sure it will be a major event when they put the word out to have a sale. It was a pleasure to see it again. I did see about 40 more vehicles since the last trip. It was nice of them to unlock another building and leave us to admire all the cars and more trucks ! It was a great day !

Jim
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Mon Mar 08 2021 12:05 AM
'Jim, let us know when the sale may happen. It could b years from now though.
Maybe an ODSS gathering if it does happen?
Thanks for coordinating and taking pictures of this JYT!
Please keep us up to date if there is a sale.

Don
Posted By: ndkid275 Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Tue Mar 09 2021 06:50 PM
That auction would be cool! I see a cab over with my name on it!

Chris
Posted By: hardshell Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Wed Mar 10 2021 11:11 AM
You are using the wrong name Don. This was no junk yard at all. One man collected all of the trucks that are still complete vehicles. 95 percent of these vehicles had all of the chrome and emblems still there. It was true optical enjoyment.

Jim
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Wed Mar 10 2021 02:46 PM
Thanks for the correction Jim. I can only dream of having a place like that.

Don
Edit: If you can make it to the KC Reunion sometime, you need to see the Alderson collection.
Ask John about it!

Don
Posted By: 3B Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Fri Apr 02 2021 08:05 PM
Hy hardshell and the very lucky guys who went on that tour. Thank you very very much for taking and posting the pictures for all of us to see and drool over! Today was the very first day I stumbled onto this post, I enjoyed reviewing the pictures very much. Spending a day traipsing through a stuff yard or research department is always very pleasant for me, thanks again for the report!
Posted By: 53 green 1- ton Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Sun Apr 04 2021 02:48 PM
It’s a shame that they just sit there rusting away! Most look to be in great shape! I did see that old trailer that would look awful nice behind Billy’s tractor!!
Thanks for sharing! Wish I had the cash and a bigger place to park a bigger truck, maybe a”B” model Mack ohwell
Jim
Posted By: Mike B Re: A visit to Truck Heaven in March ! - Sun Apr 04 2021 05:01 PM
Most of the trucks were never picked over, they still had there sun visors and AM radios in the dash...looks like they were driven to where they are parked.

Billy did spend quite a while looking the GMC 860 over...lol!

Mike B smile

Attached picture IMG_20210306_111109301_HDR.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20210306_110459521.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20210306_105003700.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20210306_103716408_HDR.jpg
© The Stovebolt Forums