Stovebolt.com
Posted By: Bogart's Truck First post of 2020? Front axle wanted!!! - Wed Jan 08 2020 02:26 AM
Hello fellow Bolters! Happy New Year! I'm working a-new on my project and after staring at my front axle with worn out king pins, I've decided to put a more modern axle in! So out with the 37 axle and in with a 41-54, 1/2 ton axle. If I can find one. I posted on the swap-meet-parts-wanted but since an axle would be expensive to ship I'm hoping I find one close to home here in Maryland! Please let me know of any leads!

David
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: First post of 2020? Front axle wanted!!! - Wed Jan 08 2020 04:38 AM
If you find one in mid Missouri, I can probably help you out.
I plan on attending the Homecoming again this year and can haul it there.

Don
Posted By: John Milliman Re: First post of 2020? Front axle wanted!!! - Wed Jan 08 2020 12:15 PM
David -- Please respect the rules of the site and don't post WTB ads anywhere other than the Swap Meet, okay?

Besides, not sure what you're expecting with the '41 to '54 axle -- it's pretty much the same technology and if you find one, odds are that it will have worn out king pins, too. Why not save a lot of time, effort and money and just change the king pins on the axle you have? It's not that hard. Or you can just drop the axle and take it to any decent machine shop and have them do it for you. Maybe they can make sure it's straight while they're at it. No worrying about geometry changes, spring perch locations, etc...

While you're at it, check your tie rod ends, pitman arm and drag link. Rebuild the steering box and adjust it correctly. And you will be amazed at how much like power steering it will be.

See you at Homecoming?

John
Posted By: Bogart's Truck Re: First post of 2020? Front axle wanted!!! - Wed Jan 08 2020 05:24 PM
Hi John, First things first, I'm so sorry about the breach of the rules. The whole Stovebolt site is such a great resource. I'll be more careful about following the rules!

As to my reasoning on the different axle. My 37 is Canadian built and had some peculiarities. The spindles seem to be from a 30s Buick (at least the bearing cross-reference shows the bearings fit a Buick). The axle part number indicates it's a sedan delivery axle and therefore has smaller king pins. Those king pins are not available on the internet.

So, the new axle will provide me a source of bearings (tapered if I want them), bigger kingpins and availability of kingpins. The spring perch distance is identical. I bought a rotating-ball steering box so I'll hopefully have a nice steering setup!

I'm hoping my work schedule allows it and if so I'll definitely be at the homecoming! Has the location been announced?

Happy new year!
David
Posted By: John Milliman Re: First post of 2020? Front axle wanted!!! - Thu Jan 09 2020 12:27 PM
David -- Indeed, I'm just glad I got to you before Marlow did. He is pretty uptight and can be brutal eeeek I'm even scared of him.

Thanks for the explanation ... It all makes sense now (not) yikes, those crazy Canucks ... dang

Working on Homecoming now, AAMOF. Stand by for word ...

smile
Posted By: 52Carl Re: First post of 2020? Front axle wanted!!! - Fri Jan 10 2020 03:24 AM
The secret to loosening up Mr. Marlow is the addition of C2H6O, administered orally.
He becomes Captain Smiley after that. Takes all of the brutal right out of him.
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: First post of 2020? Front axle wanted!!! - Fri Jan 10 2020 04:12 AM
C2H6O?
Hope it is the meaning of Natty Light in large doses! chug

As for the Homecoming, the long distance travelers need to know a date and where. dance
It's time for those folks to start making travel plans and suc up to the wifes, to get permission. yahoo

Well some do?
Don
Posted By: John Milliman Re: First post of 2020? Front axle wanted!!! - Fri Jan 10 2020 03:33 PM
Calm yourself ... Word on Homecoming is forthcoming. I have been in conference with this year's hosts and we have agreed on a date which I will leave to them to finalize and announce. Expect it soon.

As for Cap'n Smiley ... go easy. In the words of the Bard, ... suffering slings and arrows ... the doings and undoings that poor rogue could tell ... but, burderning himself with the the cares and misfortunes a sea of suffering sweeps in with the tide to swallow even a good man such as he, forswears casting it upon another and silently faces the darkness ... Alas, poor Haworth ... I daresay, if ye only knew ... you would not condemn him so but sheath your cutlass and put a manly arm around his shoulder and quaff the nattybo as brothers rather than stone him with your condemnations and epithets.

chug
Posted By: tclederman Re: First post of 2020? Front axle wanted!!! - Fri Jan 10 2020 04:43 PM
natty bo - I have not heard or thought of that beer since I moved from VA in 1978.
It now comes in many styles - clean and crisp styles (no hoppy IPAs?)?

Attached picture natty bo and sally utz wedding.jpg
Attached picture natty bo beers.jpg
Attached picture natty bo red cans case bottle.jpg
Posted By: ndkid275 Re: First post of 2020? Front axle wanted!!! - Sat Jan 11 2020 01:44 AM
So when is the beer drinking and food with entertainment of working on trucks?
Posted By: Bill Marlow Re: First post of 2020? Front axle wanted!!! - Sat Jan 11 2020 03:14 PM
Uncle Carl, I have no idea what you are talking about...… laalaa
What Milliman said! cool

Attached picture image0.jpeg
Posted By: 53 green 1- ton Re: First post of 2020? Front axle wanted!!! - Sun Jan 12 2020 05:40 PM
Billy, that’s a priceless photo!
Well done!
Jim
Posted By: 52Carl Re: First post of 2020? Front axle wanted!!! - Mon Jan 13 2020 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by Bill Marlow
Uncle Carl, I have no idea what you are talking about...… laalaa
What Milliman said! cool

Aye aye.
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: First post of 2020? Front axle wanted!!! - Mon Jan 13 2020 01:37 AM
Can anyone snatch me up one of those 77 packs?
I'll pick it up at the Homecoming. Then play Smokey and the Bandit, to get it back to Missouri.
https://www.fox5dc.com/news/natural-light-releases-77-pack-of-beer-only-available-in-college-park

Don
Posted By: Hambone Re: First post of 2020? Front axle wanted!!! - Mon Jan 13 2020 12:47 PM
You all have completely lost track of David's search for a front axle. Seems like with all the resources in the area combined with that six pack it should lead to an axle and help to install. Now get to it.
Posted By: John Milliman Re: First post of 2020? Front axle wanted!!! - Mon Jan 13 2020 05:24 PM
Marlow ... Did you hear something squeeky, high-pitched and whiney just then?

Neither did I. nanner
Posted By: 52Carl Re: First post of 2020? Front axle wanted!!! - Tue Jan 14 2020 01:35 AM
I have an axle and spindles from a '51-'54 half ton if Virginia Beach isn't too much of a road trip for you.
Posted By: tclederman Re: First post of 2020? Front axle wanted!!! - Tue Jan 14 2020 01:54 AM
"I posted on the swap-meet-parts-wanted but since an axle would be expensive to ship I'm hoping I find one close to home here in Maryland! Please let me know of any leads!"

Where are you in MD?
Posted By: Bogart's Truck Re: First post of 2020? Front axle wanted!!! - Tue Jan 14 2020 03:12 AM
I feel a little naughty answering questions about that silly axle. TC, I'm just down the street from J. Milliman ( ok, 15 miles North). And 52 Carl, I'll PM you. Thanks!
Posted By: 47fivewindow Re: First post of 2020? Front axle wanted!!! - Fri Jan 17 2020 02:49 AM
I have one in Davidsonville Md . Text me. four four3 6nine nine six one 0 eight
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: First post of 2020? Front axle wanted!!! - Fri Jan 17 2020 05:27 AM
The LDT is making plans on being at the Homecoming!
Australia, Canada, Texas, Iowa, Detroit and maybe Alaska.
We may outnumber the locals, that are less than 2 hours away!

Don
© The Stovebolt Forums