Stovebolt.com
Posted By: Rbregn What is my engine? - Tue May 26 2020 09:08 PM
I have a 1954 W6400 series. I assumed it had a 261 in it. I looked at the boss where the engine serial number is. Now I am confused. What is stamped on the boss is FI03IJ. What does that mean? I need a new starter bendix and just wanted to make sure I got the right one, before taking the starter out. The Starter ID is Delco Remy 107634 6H6.
Posted By: tclederman Re: What is my engine? - Tue May 26 2020 09:36 PM
Let's assume you have a 1954 high-pressure 235/261 engine that has a valve cover that attaches to the head with screws through a bottom side lip (not two nuts attaching to studs through the top of the valve cover).

Here are locations of codes. [1954advance-design.com]
Find and post the following codes:
engine serial number - you already posted
block casting code
block date casting code
head casting code
head date casting code (you have to remove the valve cover).
Posted By: Rbregn Re: What is my engine? - Tue May 26 2020 09:50 PM
Yes, it is a 235 or a 261. How do I tell which. In theory it should be a 261. How do I tell? The engine code is gibberish
Posted By: tclederman Re: What is my engine? - Tue May 26 2020 09:54 PM
Please find and post those casting codes.

Those casting codes will designate/confirm the engine size.

The date casting codes will tell us the year of the head and the year of the block.

When we know the block date casting code, we can then decode your Engine Serial Number.
Posted By: Chevy's till I d Re: What is my engine? - Wed May 27 2020 12:41 AM
Easy way to tell if it's a 261 is look for the captains bars cast into block. Deves tech net .com has good info on identification.
Posted By: Chevy's till I d Re: What is my engine? - Wed May 27 2020 12:49 AM
Jimcarteryruckparts.com has a technical article on the 261 c.i. with pictures
Posted By: drdoug Re: What is my engine? - Wed May 27 2020 12:53 AM
The engine stamped code indicates it's a '57 or newer block. If I have the digits right, it translates to F= Flint MI manufacture, 10 = October, 31 = day of the month (a Halloween engine!), and J is the code for a '58 or later 235 engine originally in service in a truck, Thriftmaster 235 with 3-speed transmission. Since the engine serial number doesn't carry a year code (after '56), the best way to date the block is from the casting date code sort of behind and above the starter. You will see a series of raised digits staring with something like CON4, which is only the conveyor that he engine went down in the foundry - doesn't help - but the next 4 to 6 digits can be decoded to determine the engine casting date. This info comes from the '58 Chevy Master Parts Catalog.

Doug
Posted By: tclederman Re: What is my engine? - Wed May 27 2020 01:12 AM
What is the block date casting code?

What is the head date casting code?

Those locations are shown at the link in my first post, above.

They will tell you/us the size and year (of both the block and the head).
Posted By: fixite7 Re: What is my engine? - Wed May 27 2020 09:27 PM
once got catalogs from that supplier in phoenix ...patrick h dykes..? learned more about engine ID there than anywhere i know of...also told how to get an updated saginaw tranny fully synchronized ! nother story !
Posted By: fixite7 Re: What is my engine? - Wed May 27 2020 09:34 PM
one other detail on 261 s that big remote oil filter uses 2 --1/2 inch pipe thread holes in the drivers side of the block on later models that is a give away along with captains bars
Posted By: BC59 Re: What is my engine? - Wed May 27 2020 11:42 PM
Not all 261 have full flow oil filter, early have only by pass, later can have full flow or not, depending if the pin on the side of the block was driven into the block, blocking the passage from the pump to the main galley, those must either have a full flow filter or a line to route oil around the plug back into the galley.
Posted By: BC59 Re: What is my engine? - Wed May 27 2020 11:45 PM
If pin is not driven in you can run by pass filter or no filter.
Posted By: tclederman Re: What is my engine? - Thu May 28 2020 12:13 AM
Good information is posted above.

1960 was the first year of the full-flow oil filter.

As posted above, those engines could have no filter, or a by-pass filter, or a full-flow filter.
Posted By: Rbregn Re: What is my engine? - Sat Jul 25 2020 09:54 PM
the casting number on the head is 3703570 GM2
Posted By: Rbregn Re: What is my engine? - Sat Jul 25 2020 10:08 PM
The numbers on the other side of the head are B35 913 241 570 as soon as I figure out where my wire brush went I will try to get down to the numbers on the block. I belive it is not a 54 engine as the starter drive does not fit. I have one for sale if you need it smile
Posted By: Rbregn Re: What is my engine? - Sat Jul 25 2020 10:59 PM
DrDoug nailed it. Block code is 3738307 J297 1958 passenger car. Head is for a 261. So I am guessing I need a starter drive for a 1958 235"
© The Stovebolt Forums