Stovebolt.com
Posted By: 55chevyschoolbus Lowering the Bus/spring removal - Tue Jan 21 2014 05:43 PM
So I would like to lower the rear of the School bus. It's a 6700 (2 ton) It has (15) leaves in the back. How many leaves can be removed before compromising stability/ride quality/handling. Thanks for the feedback.

Ted
Posted By: 53moneypit Re: Lowering the Bus/spring removal - Tue Jan 21 2014 11:28 PM
I think there are several things to consider before accepting a quick answer. Things like A. what will the intended use of the truck be? B. What will the typical load be? C. Tire size and type? D. How much do you wish to lower it? Oh so many, many others.

You'll need to determine where your going before anyone can tell you how to get there. You haven't given too much info for anyone to work with.
Posted By: Mike B Re: Lowering the Bus/spring removal - Tue Jan 21 2014 11:42 PM
Be carefull reducing your load capacity...if you decide to have a rolling party with 10 of your closest friends you'll be carrying close to a ton with just the people, not counting any gear or supplies. The best way to have the best of both worlds, lower and load carrying is to air bag it.

As Dave said...need more info.

Mike B smile
Posted By: fclaridge Re: Lowering the Bus/spring removal - Mon Jan 27 2014 07:28 AM
I plan on doing the same thing. My bus is way oversprung for what I am going to be using it for. It was built to haul 22 people and I'm going to max out at 15. My springs are 3/8" thick and there are 12 of them. I have a local spring shop I am going to take the spring to and talk to them about what I can do to just remove and rebuild the original stack to make a softer ride and lower the stance. If you're interested in them they are:
http://www.gittspring.com/
They built my leaf spring for my T-Bucket when I did that car years ago. They do some great work. I have to get one of the springs out and take down there to discuss my plans and then can go from there.
Posted By: Tango Re: Lowering the Bus/spring removal - Thu Jan 30 2014 08:32 PM
Given that the older units (up to early '47?)were built to handle a max capacity load over mostly rough, unpaved roads, they all seem to be "oversprung" by today's standards. I am looking at eliminating a leaf or two on my '46 but will likely also have a spring shop do it. Unloaded, mine sits a good 4" high in the rear and given the construction I'm doing, it will never see anything near it's intended max load of about 3500#'s. Based on my most recent calcs, it should only come out at about 30% of max (1050#'s) even when fully wet.

But I will confess that given the budget...I'd go with airbags.
Posted By: 55chevyschoolbus Re: Lowering the Bus/spring removal - Mon Feb 03 2014 02:26 AM
Thanks for the information Fred. I like the idea of air bags but would rather have the suspension permanently set.
© The Stovebolt Forums