Stovebolt.com
Posted By: pan3lman What U joints for my '57 Panel? - Tue Jun 08 2021 01:01 AM
I know my truck was originally a 6 cylinder. I keep reading that there are different U joint sizes for some trucks that had "heavy duty" transmissions. Anyone know which ones I need?

I need to replace my PG rear seal, and thought it might be good to do the U's while the driveshaft was out.
Posted By: ASU Re: What U joints for my '57 Panel? - Tue Jun 08 2021 09:25 AM
My experience has been that U joints are fairly generic. Pull the old one out and take it to NAPA, or an "old" parts store. they will measure cap diameter and distance across the caps, and give you the correct one. If you want to measure yourself, do a quick internet search for universal joint dimensions. https://www.currieenterprises.com/understanding-u-joints

As with all of our trucks, you never know what was changed since new!

Jon
Posted By: pan3lman Re: What U joints for my '57 Panel? - Tue Jun 08 2021 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by ASU
My experience has been that U joints are fairly generic. Pull the old one out and take it to NAPA, or an "old" parts store. they will measure cap diameter and distance across the caps, and give you the correct one. If you want to measure yourself, do a quick internet search for universal joint dimensions. https://www.currieenterprises.com/understanding-u-joints

Jon

Very true. In my area, most of the "old" parts stores are gone. I have to deal with AutoZone and Advance Auto. Sometimes Pep Boys works as well, but they seem to be going under frown
Posted By: pan3lman Re: What U joints for my '57 Panel? - Tue Jun 08 2021 04:44 PM
I just placed my order with LMC Truck. They had a pretty good diagram to help identify what my truck most-likely has. I ordered both options for the front U joint, in the event that anyone got, uh, "creative" with my truck in the past smile
Posted By: JW51 Re: What U joints for my '57 Panel? - Tue Jun 08 2021 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by ASU

Jon

That’s what I did when I did mine. The kids at “O” or “Auto” will look at you like a pickle is growing from your forehead if you ask them to measure the U joint. But if there is a store in your town with an actual Parts guy....he will fix you up in no time.

On the other hand, if you are pretty confident that all your setup is original....then you will probably be fine with the LMC approach. I’ve had good luck with them as a supplier.
Posted By: pan3lman Re: What U joints for my '57 Panel? - Tue Jun 08 2021 05:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure if theirs come with the grease fitting on them for lubing or not, but as rarely as I will drive this truck, I'm not overly worried about that.
Posted By: MNSmith Re: What U joints for my '57 Panel? - Tue Jun 08 2021 05:57 PM
You could take your driveshaft to a driveshaft shop and have them check balance, replace the ujoints.
Posted By: pan3lman Re: What U joints for my '57 Panel? - Tue Jun 08 2021 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by MNSmith
You could take your driveshaft to a driveshaft shop and have them check balance, replace the ujoints.
Interesting suggestion- I'm not even sure where one of those would be around here.
Posted By: Gord&Fran Re: What U joints for my '57 Panel? - Tue Jun 08 2021 07:28 PM
A good transmission shop may also do driveshafts. At least they will know where to go. Chances are that you don't have the original rear end and they could confirm that.
Posted By: pan3lman Re: What U joints for my '57 Panel? - Tue Jun 08 2021 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Gord&Fran
Chances are that you don't have the original rear end and they could confirm that.
Thanks- I'll have to get some pics of it. It does look "purdy old", though grin
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: What U joints for my '57 Panel? - Tue Jun 08 2021 07:52 PM
I just don’t mess with joints anymore. We have a couple of longtime very reliable very reasonable driveshaft shops in OKC. I just drop the shaft off and tell the guy I want new heavy duty greasable ujoints. He calls in a couple of day, if not later that day, and I go pick the shaft up. No worries on fitment and they check the balance while they have it. websearch “Driveline Shop” for your area. Bet there’s one closer than you think. Good luck
Posted By: fixite7 Re: What U joints for my '57 Panel? - Sat Jun 26 2021 10:42 PM
pan31man Look at a 369 u-jointat NAPA that is same as a 57 chevy,if you change them have your grease fitting leaning toward the center of the driveshaft so you can grease it.
© The Stovebolt Forums