Stovebolt.com
Posted By: Elmo Top cover on SM420 transmission - Tue Jun 30 2020 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone. I recently removed the top cover on my SM420 transmission. Just to see the condition of the gears inside. They look great! Now I don’t have a clue on how to put the cover back on so it will shift through all the gears. I went on YouTube. There are videos on how to take the transmission apart, but nothing on how to put the cover back on. Can anyone of you help me out? A video on how to? A link to a page? Anything would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all for all your help.
Elmo
Posted By: Brad Allen Re: Top cover on SM420 transmission - Tue Jun 30 2020 05:11 PM
It is pretty simple, best practice on the SM420 is make sure it is neutral before you pull the shifter or cover. Look at slide 64.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/albums/72157632620943718
Posted By: Elmo Re: Top cover on SM420 transmission - Tue Jun 30 2020 07:16 PM
That’s great Brad, but it really doesn’t show where to fit the shifting forks.
Elmo
Posted By: Mike B Re: Top cover on SM420 transmission - Tue Jun 30 2020 07:45 PM
Look at picture #43...see the groove in the hub on the left side of the gear set and the groove on the large gear on the right? That's where your two forks ride...just slide the hub and gear back and forth on the shaft until the forks and grooves line up.

Mike B smile
Posted By: Elmo Re: Top cover on SM420 transmission - Tue Jun 30 2020 08:01 PM
Thank you Mike B, that helps me out tremendously!
Elmo
© The Stovebolt Forums