Stovebolt.com
Posted By: John Milliman Brake Adjustment Guide - Fri Jan 10 2020 05:38 PM
Brake Experts:

Just digitized a guide I made for myself to speed up the adjustment process on my (perfectly fine) Huck brakes. I put this diagram on a clipboard or taped it to the inner fender so I could refer to it as I was sitting infront of my brake assembly. Adjusting the wheel cylinders isn't so bad with the brake drum off (you can see how things move) but once you put the drum on, trying to remember all the geometry is hard, so I hand drew the original of this guide to help.

Hopefully, it makes sense if you have it in front of you while you are facing the front of the brake assembly. The wheel cylinders are all the same so it doesn't matter which side of the truck you are on (pass or driver). All "Left" and "Right" references are to you as you face the wheel cylinder (either exposed, or underneath the drum).

The backing plate is shown edgewise as you reach around from either side. So, to adjust out on the right side, you insert the lever high on the adjustment wheel, with the handle low. Pull up on the lever to adjust that side out. And so on for the others. Does this work?

Does this also apply to Bendix brakes?

Thanks for any input. I'm hoping to save people from aggravation and speed up their adjusting.

r/s
John

Attached picture Huck-Adjustment-Guide.jpg
Posted By: Wrenchbender Ret. Re: Brake Adjustment Guide - Fri Jan 10 2020 05:47 PM
They all are right hand threads. I picture the cylinder & which way to turn it.
This does not apply to Bendix Style brakes. They all adjust the same way. Self adjusting brakes are opposite of the manual adj. brakes.
George
Posted By: John Milliman Re: Brake Adjustment Guide - Fri Jan 10 2020 10:14 PM
Thanks George -- So this only applies to the Huck brakes ... good to know.
Posted By: 52Carl Re: Brake Adjustment Guide - Sat Jan 11 2020 02:08 AM
Righty tighty, Lefty loosey, when viewing from the end of wheel cylinder.
Easy as pie, until I do it backwards every other time regardless of knowing this.
Maybe if we miniaturize your diagram and have it etched onto the lens' of my reading glasses...
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: Brake Adjustment Guide - Sat Jan 11 2020 02:13 AM
...you just have to remember your turning the wheel...not the threaded bolt....or it will get confusing!
Posted By: showkey Re: Brake Adjustment Guide - Sun Jan 12 2020 02:06 PM
A Slight variation ............ I painted a small white dot on the backing plate. It indicates the lever point for tightening the brakes. Indicates at a glance with out thinking which way to lever the adjuster
Posted By: EdPruss Re: Brake Adjustment Guide - Sun Jan 12 2020 11:37 PM
Remember, bashing knuckles means tight.

Ed
Posted By: Spotbiltxo Re: Brake Adjustment Guide - Wed Jan 15 2020 06:11 AM
Really nice graphic John! I’ll print and use it during my upcoming brake overhaul.
Posted By: John Milliman Re: Brake Adjustment Guide - Wed Jan 15 2020 12:06 PM
Thanks for the input, Chuck!!
© The Stovebolt Forums