Stovebolt.com
Posted By: Just Mark SBC T5 in a 47? - Mon Oct 01 2018 06:47 PM
Hi Folks, Finally got my 47 GMC home. Woohoo. Now the work/fun begins in earnest. I'm puttin in a stock 350 currently sitting on a stand ready to go, and a freshly scored T5 out of a 92 S-10. I've read everything I could find, especially from Lugnutz, and that seems to be the combo. Since I'm starting from scratch, I have options on the best way to go from here. Kinda feels like having a kid. You know exactly what you're gonna do until it gets home, then all bets are off. Basically I have no idea from here. I don't have a clutch/bellhousing etc. I really want to keep the stock pedals! I'm also not planning on changing the suspension or steering geometry, but am open to ideas.

So here's my questions:
Should I go with a mechanical or hydraulic clutch? I have no components for either besides the pedal and what holds it to the frame. Does someone make a kit for a hydraulic clutch for the AD trucks?
What is this "adapter plate" that I've read about? I really dread the idea of changing the input shaft of the trans. I pretty much know I'll drop transmission parts all over the floor and accidentally kick them to parts unknown.
Is there a range of bellhousings I can use with said adapter plate? (I need to get all these things and a 14 spline clutch assembly)
My first plan was actually to go thru the entire brake system replacing all the lines etc. and adding in a dual master cylinder in stock location. Can I go ahead with this or will I run into fitment problems that force me to "hang" pedals?
What myriad of other things have I not yet considered?

Attached picture 1226xx.jpg
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Tue Oct 02 2018 02:22 AM
Just Mark,
The 350 engine should work well with a cast iron bell housing. I have several that keep accumulating in my shop. The clutch fork opening is on the driver's side.
I have been happy with the mechanical clutch linkage in my 1965. I have no idea how easy your frame mounted clutch linkage will work with the 350 and bell.

Unless your T5 has seen low mileage and tender care, I highly recommend that you open it up and clean it. Then change the input shaft to a 10 spline Jeep shaft with a new input shaft bearing. Then get the end play set to zero. I am self taught and did not find my first attempt to be difficult. YOU CAN DO IT. Especially since I can help every step of the way.

The cost of an adapter plate plus the 14 spline clutch package will cost almost 3 times the cost of a Jeep input shaft swap. That's just my vote.

As for the braking system, I'll bet 52Carl knows the answers. I think he's done this once with a T5.

Jay
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Tue Oct 02 2018 01:02 PM
Thanks Jay. I'm considering the jeep input shaft. I did read through your complete description of the process. Sometimes these projects are overly intimidating at first, but aren't so bad once you're into it. It still seems overly intimidating at this point. Are you interested in parting with one of those bell housings? The internals of a transmission are a world of mystery to me. When you say "clean it", I'm picturing opening a side cover (which this doesn't seem to have) and spray some brakeclean type of chemical, button it back up and hope for the best. I'm assuming you have a better process for that?
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Tue Oct 02 2018 01:09 PM
Looks like this one? I think it's correct:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-T5-In...line-21-Teeth-1351-085-008-/181789554307
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Tue Oct 02 2018 02:28 PM
That is the correct Jeep shaft. That vendor includes the bearing and race, so less hassle for you.
It’s very easy to open, clean and inspect a T5. You will need some basic tools like socket wrenches, ball pien hammer, a drift for the roll pin and brake clean and some rags. Sealing it up is pretty easy but an extra set of hands is a plus. I can make a short video if you want.
When you open to clean and inspect is the PERFECT time to do the shaft swap. Your 1992 T5 should be non-world class.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Tue Oct 02 2018 11:17 PM
Well, looks like you have another T5 apprentice on your hands. I ordered the shaft and bearing kit. If the parts come in by Tues am, I'll do it Tues.
(Leaving for Hershey Wed am)

Do I need a new gasket for the trans cover?
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Wed Oct 03 2018 03:18 AM
Supply list:
Permatex Ultra Black RTV
Green Scotch Pad
Bearing grease or Vaseline
Clean rags
Brake Cleaner
Wire brush
Socket set with extensions with 10mm, 13mm and 15mm sockets.
A drift and hammer to drive out a roll pin.
A shop press to install the new bearing onto the Jeep input shaft. If you don't have one, I bet your local transmission shop will do it for you.

New seals for the tail housing and input shaft bearing retainer are a good idea.
The shims you will find next to the front bearing race (inside the input shaft bearing retainer) will likely be all you need - just reuse them.

Here's a link to my DIY rebuild of a T5. You will not tear down the main gear train, or remove the countershaft. So don't get overwhelmed. The reverse/5th gear shifter fork will probably not need to be removed either.

I've sent you my email so we can share pictures to help with details.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Wed Oct 03 2018 11:24 AM
Awesome. I'm actually looking forward to this! (I still reserve the right to dump transmission doodads on the floor and accidentally kick some to parts unknown)
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Wed Oct 03 2018 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Just Mark
Awesome. I'm actually looking forward to this! (I still reserve the right to dump transmission doodads on the floor and accidentally kick some to parts unknown)

That’s ok. I have several boxes of extra parts.
Posted By: shade tree Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Thu Oct 04 2018 02:41 AM
where abouts in mi are you im in sears about 35 miles north of mt pleasnt
Posted By: shade tree Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Thu Oct 04 2018 02:44 AM
i have a 51 3100 that i have already changed to a T5 and the new dual resivor master cylnder the hard part is starting
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Thu Oct 04 2018 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by shade tree
where abouts in mi are you im in sears about 35 miles north of mt pleasnt

I'm near Durand. About 15 miles west of Flint. The 350 I scored for this project came from a guy in Coleman. Not all that far from you I think.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Thu Oct 04 2018 04:43 PM
Well I got most of the stuff together today. Spent some time cleaning up some of the grunge on the outside. I'm still waiting on a seal. I'll move this stuff into my shop for the actual work. That way it'll be easier to find the parts I drop and scatter to parts unknown. I've got real work to do tomorrow so I'm thinking I'll tackle this project Monday morning...providing I haven't chickened out.

Attached picture 22548xx.jpg
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Thu Oct 04 2018 04:52 PM
Nice work table. Has a slot cut out for the “fin” at the bottom of the tail housing. I have a B&D workmate that works great and allows me to work from either side.
Do you have a new seal for inside the bearing retainer?
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Thu Oct 04 2018 05:54 PM
I used your ideas for the table Jay. Thanks for that. I'm waiting on that seal. Should be in tomorrow.

I do have a linkage question for anyone with some insight. My truck has no Z-bar or clutch linkage. On my list for Hershey next week is the Z-bar and necessary linkage components. I was specifically going to look for linkage for an AD truck, but now I'm kinda thinking any Z-bar that's basically the right length from the frame to the bell housing. Unfortunately I can't measure that since my trans assembly isn't in the truck. To add to that, I'm not really sure what it's supposed to look like, and not sure the frame part it's supposed to attach to is still in the truck. Anyone have advice on this? Or, are there some decent AD truck pics of this linkage area?
Posted By: shade tree Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Oct 05 2018 02:39 PM
dont realy use a z bar the clutch and brake pedel are on a common support from there there is two pieces of linkage to the throw out bearing arm that comes out of the bell housing realy a simple operation when you step on the clutch pedal it pulls on the linkage rather than pushing these parts are readly avable thru a half dozen realtailers yes and been in your part of the state many times before retiring i lived and worked in the flint aerea let me see if i cant dig up a picther of the linkage take care and ill look for that linkage
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Oct 06 2018 06:52 PM
A pic would be awesome. Thanks. If you know of anyone specific that sells em let me know that too.
Posted By: shade tree Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Thu Oct 11 2018 06:30 PM
L M C truck sells them brothers sells them ithink if you google parts for 47 gmc truck you will find all the good stuff you didnt know you wanted my repare manual has some picts but they just dont duplicate or copy well i will keep looking for pictures
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Wed Oct 17 2018 01:58 PM
L M C truck sells them brothers sells them ithink if you google parts for 47 gmc truck you will find all the good stuff you didnt know you wanted my repare manual has some picts but they just dont duplicate or copy well i will keep looking for pictures

Thanks. Ordered the parts from LMC. $40 with shipping. Doesn't get better than that. There was an AD truck at Hershey for sale that didn't have a front clip on it. I was able to get a good look at all the mechanical clutch parts. I also picked up a shop manual.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Wed Oct 17 2018 02:09 PM
After encouragement and support from Jay, I opened up the T5, cleaned it out and swapped the input shaft. When I pulled off the tail housing a small ball bearing fell on the floor. I literally laughed out loud. I did manage to not kick it to parts unknown. The trans is back together and all the parts are accounted for. I'm very confident that there's an 80% chance that it's 65% correct. It should work.

Thanks to Jay for the coaching and talking me off the ledge so to speak.

Attached picture 4913yy.jpg
Attached picture 5436xx.jpg
Attached picture 12247yy.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Wed Oct 17 2018 02:11 PM
Assembled trans and the motor as it sits (not finished)

Attached picture 1130yy.jpg
Attached picture 71126xx.jpg
Attached picture 0735xx.jpg
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Wed Oct 17 2018 02:13 PM
What color drive gear does your T5 have? I left that part out of my videos.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Wed Oct 17 2018 03:14 PM
Uhhh.....Where would I find that? If it's on the inside I don't know.
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Wed Oct 17 2018 04:42 PM
Remove the driven gear and housing from the tail housing. Look at the drive gear through that hole. It will be either dark red or blue.

More info LINK HERE
Posted By: shade tree Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Wed Oct 17 2018 11:53 PM
did you order the return spring i know i didnt the first time
Posted By: shade tree Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Wed Oct 17 2018 11:56 PM
what about the color what does the color to do must be gear rato for speedo
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Thu Oct 18 2018 12:27 AM
did you order the return spring i know i didnt the first time

Dang! Nope.

I'll look at the Speedo gear tomorrow morning.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Thu Oct 18 2018 01:30 PM
Need some clutch fork advice:

I'm attempting to use the original AD type clutch linkage and a "621" bellhousing mated to a small block. Will an original AD type fork work with the 70s era bellhousing, or do I need to adapt a fork to match the housing? I don't currently have a clutch fork and need to order one, but there seems to be a million of em.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Nov 17 2018 03:51 PM
So I got the motor and trans assembled together. Everything fit like it was supposed to. Strange, that never happens. Planning on putting it in the truck thanksgiving weekend at a buddy's shop in Warren Mi. I bought the Chassis Engineering mounts. They're really nice quality parts. I'm anticipating it to be a big project though. Wish me luck! (yes I know there's a bolt missing, it'll be in soon. lol)

I was considering doing a proper build log on this truck since it's a pretty big project on an aggressive time schedule, but John seems to have a pretty tight requirements (understandably), and this really is just another 1/2 ton Ad, and to top things off it's actually not a stovebolt. Although the original plan was to put a 292 in it. It just didn't fit. ( I do know someone with a pretty sweet 292 available though, lol)

Attached picture 1009x.jpg
Attached picture 5324x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Nov 17 2018 03:55 PM
Also got the brakes done. Was planning on sticking with drum brakes, but to many parts were missing and this is a 47 with "Huck" style brakes and parts were becoming difficult to find. I'm glad I went with the disks now though. Thanks to the guys at Dave's Muffler in Durand. They did all the work on the brakes. (I have no affiliation with Dave's Muffler other than being a long term satisfied customer).

Attached picture 2623x.jpg
Attached picture 5109x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sun Nov 25 2018 09:49 PM
Made major progress over the weekend. Got my motor and trans mounted in place. That S10 T5 puts the shifter exactly in the sweet spot.
I did run into major clearance problems with the steering box. As somewhat expected. Been reading a bit on solutions, but haven't gotten it figured out. ANY advice would be appreciated.

Attached picture 5956x.jpg
Attached picture 4930x.jpg
Attached picture 84037x.jpg
Posted By: 52Carl Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Mon Nov 26 2018 01:20 AM
Power steering would solve your exhaust clearance issue. Then you can use rams horn manifolds. You will need 2 which exit straight down.
Power steering is an awesome upgrade too.
I can't tell from you pic if you have room for the 265 engine manifolds or not. Looks pretty tight.
Some have rigged bracketry to allow the steering box to the left for more clearance. I don't like that option personally.
Carl
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Mon Nov 26 2018 02:25 AM
Just Mark,
You would really enjoy a short throw shifter. Not that difficult to convert your current shifter to short throw. It's in the TECH TIPS section HERE.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Mon Nov 26 2018 02:41 PM
Carl, Thanks! I'm just starting to dig into the power steering idea. I'm hoping to find the magic combo of inexpensive, high quality and easy to install. Or at least inexpensive. Lol

Jay, Thanks. I gotta do that! I'll post updates when I get to that project.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Tue Nov 27 2018 08:25 PM
Sometimes things are just to cool to not take time off work to do...and take a good money job out of the CNC to make up a spacer.
I'll reassemble this thing after the Hurst shifter is welded in place.

Attached picture 51221x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Tue Nov 27 2018 08:31 PM
OK, so I just read the "don't post images in the forums" thing. Sorry about that! I'll learn how to do the "link" thing.
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Tue Nov 27 2018 09:48 PM
Mark, you are just fine posting images as you did above. We have changed things up a bit and you may have read some older info. All is good.
shake
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Tue Nov 27 2018 11:26 PM
Oh cool, thanks.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Thu Dec 06 2018 07:58 PM
TADA!

Attached picture 5351x.jpg
Attached picture 73713x.jpg
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Dec 07 2018 02:21 AM
Take a bow! Looks very nice.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Dec 07 2018 12:54 PM
Thanks you sir. Can't wait to give er a whirl.

Planning to put the motor and trans back in permanently between Christmas and New Years.

I shifted the steering over an inch, but I lost the two top bolts in the process. They now are on the edge of of the frame. I'm leaving it for now, but I'm planning on doing something like welding a 1/2 inch plate to the top of the frame and bolting the steering box to that. We'll see. I was considering a power steering kit, but Mar-K had a sale on tailgates, then they had a sale on bed wood and strips, so I gladly gave them all my money.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Dec 07 2018 12:58 PM
As it currently sits.

I have been collecting necessary parts. Drive shaft, exhaust manifolds, etc.

Attached picture 171736x.jpg
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Dec 07 2018 03:30 PM
Your shop is way too clean.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Dec 07 2018 04:47 PM
Thanks Jay. The 47 is currently sitting in my garage. When I bought my new GMC a couple years ago it didn't quite fit where the Yukon used to be. So I notched out the wall and built the hokey box at the back of where the 47 is in that pic. My wife shakes her head calling it just one more of the redneck things around here. Haha. But my GMC fits in the garage now.

Here's a few pics of my actual work shop. The kid that used to keep the place clean left more than a year ago for college and I haven't replaced him. Now there's crap everywhere and it'll never be this clean again. Oh well.

Attached picture 1188x.jpg
Attached picture 1172x.jpg
Attached picture 1183x.jpg
Attached picture 1166x.jpg
Attached picture 01161x.jpg
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Dec 07 2018 04:58 PM
Ok, now thaaaaat is way cool.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Dec 07 2018 05:49 PM
OK, so these are from today. Haha! I literally shove the debris aside so I can use the mill. Hardly a horizontal surface without piles of crap on it. Oh well, I've got more work than I can do and the bills are getting paid. I realize this isn't driveline related but good fun anyway.

Attached picture 4236x.jpg
Attached picture 4055x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Dec 14 2018 05:04 PM
My buddy Mike came over Sat to permanently weld in the new motor mounts. I had a minute yesterday to slap some paint on the area. The mounts are Chassis Engineering AKA Heidts. They're supposed to be bolt in, but I'd really not go that route. It'll still be a few weeks before we can put the motor and trans back in to stay.

Attached picture 15510x.jpg
Attached picture 10125x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Tue Jan 01 2019 03:59 PM
So I made a lot of progress since Christmas with the help of a few good buddies. Got the motor and trans "permanently" mounted. Ignition wired. New fuel line, drive shaft etc etc. I can now turn the key on the dash and it starts. Today I mounted the gas pedal (79 Chevy truck, and I might move it). Still tons to do. Seems like I get three things done and create one new one.

Took it for a test ride. Using literally a shoestring for a throttle, I got a ways down the industrial street in Warren Mi. where we were working on it in second gear and decided to pull into a large factory parking lot to turn around. Then I discovered two things at once. First, that there was a gate blocking the parking lot and second that I had no brakes at all. DOH! the brake pedal lever now hits the exhaust manifold that wasn't in the truck when I was pushing it around. Was able to get it stopped by trashing my trans and backing up. Then I carefully drove back to my buddy's shop.

Attached picture 104221x.jpg
Attached picture 91515x.jpg
Attached picture 3731x.jpg
Attached picture 62533x.jpg
Attached picture 1504x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Tue Jan 01 2019 04:00 PM
I made up a new clutch rod. The fork now sits a couple inches closer to the front of the truck than the original. It works OK, but I'll probably make another one that's a little stronger at some point.

Attached picture 90640x.jpg
Attached picture 90713x.jpg
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Thu Jan 03 2019 10:52 PM
Keep the updates coming. We are watching.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Jan 04 2019 09:19 PM
Cool, Thanks!
I spent a few hours working on it today. The brake pedal hits the exhaust manifold. I cleared part of both, thought I had it figured out but it still hits. It'll be a problem for another day. I've got a ton going on the next couple weeks so I probably won't be able to get to it.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Jan 04 2019 09:33 PM
My buddy made up a new center floor piece and a couple quickie patches. Got those in too. Painted em with truck bed paint. I'll add another small one near the gas pedal later.
Got the gas pedal working too.

Attached picture 2643x.jpg
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Jan 04 2019 10:05 PM
Looks good.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Jan 25 2019 02:35 PM
Got my grill back from chrome. They did an amazing job on it. It was pretty tweaked and twisted. It was damaged at some point in the past and an amateur attempt to fix it. Took me 3 1/2 hours to put together but I'm pretty happy with the results. I had the front bumper re-chromed too since the grill and front bumper are unique to 47-48. I was going to set it in place and take a pic, but it's really friggin cold outside.

Eventually, probably next fall, the truck is going to get painted dark hunter green. Pretty much everyone, including myself, have said to leave it as it is. The bottom line is that it's my wife's truck and she hates the color.

I do realize this isn't "driveline" related at this point, but this thread seems to have some interest so I'll keep posting as I go unless I get some negative feedback from the admin.

Attached picture 72441x.jpg
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Jan 25 2019 02:41 PM
I like the grille. Just pulled my T5 for the 3rd time in 2 months. Kept getting an intermittent growl when the clutch pedal was depressed. First 2 times was to double check and re-grease the release bearing. Everything pointed to that as the problem but I kept hearing the growl.
Pulled and opened the T5 for inspection this time. Everything checked out.
Growl is gone. I’ll hold my tongue as to what caused the growl for now since my test drive was only 5 minutes. But I think it’s gone.
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Jan 25 2019 02:49 PM
You just jinxed yourself! dang
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Jan 25 2019 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by Lugnutz
I like the grille. Just pulled my T5 for the 3rd time in 2 months. Kept getting an intermittent growl when the clutch pedal was depressed. First 2 times was to double check and re-grease the release bearing. Everything pointed to that as the problem but I kept hearing the growl.
Pulled and opened the T5 for inspection this time. Everything checked out.
Growl is gone. I’ll hold my tongue as to what caused the growl for now since my test drive was only 5 minutes. But I think it’s gone.

Hmmm, I'd be asking you about that type of thing. How's the weather down there for taking it out for a spin?
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Jan 25 2019 03:00 PM
Hmmm, I'd be asking you about that type of thing. How's the weather down there for taking it out for a spin?

Weather in SC is rather mild. We’ve dipped below 32* a few nights. Most days are in the 50s. I would be driving it today but my right rear tire keeps loosing air and I really don’t want to struggle with a flat when at work. Once that is solved, I’ll install front and rear anti-roll bars and drive the snot out of my 65.
Posted By: Volfandt Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Jan 25 2019 03:03 PM
That grill looks great. The chrome grill on my 49 GMC is in the same condition you described yours was. I may address it some day.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Jan 26 2019 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by Volfandt
That grill looks great. The chrome grill on my 49 GMC is in the same condition you described yours was. I may address it some day.

The good news is that they reproduce the 49-54 GMC grill. The bad news is that once you start down the new chrome path you pretty much have to go all the way. One new chrome doodad makes all the rest of it look bad.

Jay, It's currently -3 here in mid Michigan. Why on earth would anyone live here?
Posted By: Hotrod Lincoln Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Jan 26 2019 06:06 PM
I was east of Louisville on Monday- - - - -12 degrees! I'm so glad my ancestors had the good sense to move from South Carolina to Tennessee in the 1820's!
Jerry
Posted By: klhansen Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Jan 26 2019 11:51 PM
Enjoying 40F weather today in Alaska. cool Not sure enjoying is correct though, as the frozen roads are slicker than snot.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Tue Mar 05 2019 04:55 PM
Seems like forever since I had a couple hours to work on my truck. Had to fix the Jeep firsts. Major project. Literally moved the 47 out of the way. Now that that's done, and we had a warm 33* day last week I got a few hours of work done. Mostly small stuff, but it felt good to be going on it again. Had the radiator fixed, put it back in and mounted it in place. mounted the second bracket and taillight, changed a couple hood bolts, finished my quickie patches in the floor and mounted, but didn't attach, the guages. Eventually I want to get the original guages working properly. Perhaps more importantly I put the truck back in the position where I can work on it. The best news for me is that the lady that's going to re-upholster the seat is going to stop by today or tomorrow and pick it up. Woohoo! Can't wait for that!

Attached picture 81206x.jpg
Attached picture 4305x.jpg
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Tue Mar 05 2019 05:34 PM
I need to get my 1963 seat done. I’m curious if the seat back could be shaped differently to make it more comfy. Guess I’ll ask the upholstery shop.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Tue Mar 05 2019 06:17 PM
Take some pics of before and after.
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Tue Mar 05 2019 06:26 PM
Take some pics of before and after.

Kinda like this? My Insta-Resto Video
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Tue Mar 05 2019 06:44 PM
HAHAHA!!!! Best video ever! Made my day.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Mar 22 2019 08:45 PM
So I've been carving out a few hours of time here and there. Mostly going thru the endless lists of miscellaneous stuff that needs to get done. I didn't think the cumulative total was note worth enough to post anything here until today. I got the tires on. Woohoo. Seems like real progress. My insurance company needed a photo so I set the grill in place, wiped the crud off the body and took a couple photos. Still lots to do. For those interested, the tires are 215-85-16 (painted the rims yesterday)

Attached picture 12906x.jpg
Attached picture 12814x.jpg
Attached picture 12806x.jpg
Posted By: 52vff Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Mar 22 2019 11:00 PM
That's looking awesome Just Mark!
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Mar 22 2019 11:40 PM
Thanks!
Posted By: moparguy Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Mar 22 2019 11:49 PM
Just so I don't feel TOO bad, tell me that's not the original paint....please. It looks great!
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Mar 23 2019 12:02 AM
Not original, but really old. The doors are 52-53 and they match to perfectly. Under the nicks and scratches is blue. When I pulled the gas filler tube out there's some tan and at the base dark green. It's a petty solid truck tho. Actually nicer than I expected. I know the previous owner died more than 20 years ago. I wish I could get some history of it. Thinking about writing a note to the daughter, she sold it to my buddy, who got it for me.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Mar 23 2019 12:11 AM
Started buffing the paint a couple days ago. Just the grill surround and emblem.

Attached picture IMG_44508.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Mar 29 2019 11:45 AM
Started digging into the interior. The seat was missing a lot of parts! Had a David Copperfield vibe. Floating in thin air. Until I can find the "subframe" parts on the cheap. This will have to do. I made up some legs and bolted them to the seat and the floor. The upholstery is going to be brown, so I spray bombed the frame brown. Eventually the interior is going to be painted dark green when the rest of the truck gets painted, so I'm really not sure what to do with it at the moment. Hate to put more paint on the dash etc, only to have to remove it later. Also, I see the headliner bows are missing. Oh well...

Attached picture 53318x.jpg
Attached picture 53243x.jpg
Attached picture 110134x.jpg
Attached picture 62837x.jpg
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Mar 29 2019 12:43 PM
Just Mark, since you moved on from the T-5 issue many many posts ago, for search purposes it might be wise to rename your thread. Maybe ‘47 Hotrod build or ‘47 Restomod build. ohwell
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Mar 30 2019 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
Just Mark, since you moved on from the T-5 issue many many posts ago, for search purposes it might be wise to rename your thread. Maybe ‘47 Hotrod build or ‘47 Restomod build. ohwell

I've been thinking the same thing for quite a while, but wasn't sure what to do about it. I sent a couple PM's up the food chain and John gave me the thumbs up to proceed as is.
Thanks for the input! My next post may get me barred for life tho....
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Mar 30 2019 12:34 PM
Yesterday I had a few minutes to tackle a couple projects on the 47. I pulled the pitman arm off to send it to Nostalgia Sid to be adjusted back to compensate for my moved steering box. I'll pull the steering arms off soon too. Sid is going to set them up for modern ball joints. In the process I checked the wear on the king pins and bushings and there is more wear on the drivers side than I'm comfortable with. I'm going to pull both sides apart as soon as I have time, and learn all about disassembling the king pin assemblies.

On a much more exciting note I made up a temporary seat so I can move this thing around while the seat is getting re-upholstered. I'm pretty sure this is how Brian Kindig would do it. (apologies to Brian Kindig, love that show) Or maybe how Jeff Foxworthy would do it. Anyway, I'm not planning to drive this on an actual road this way...or am I? Hmmm...

Attached picture 01652x.jpg
Attached picture 01511x.jpg
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Mar 30 2019 01:13 PM
Looking at your last two photos I had to recheck your profile. I thought (from the photos) you were from Arkansas. 😁 BTW, I’m from Oklahoma so we are allowed to pick on Arkansas folks.😁 Seriously, a mans got to do what a mans got to do. You must be way skinnier than me. I couldn’t get behind the wheel. Keep on plugging away at it.
Posted By: showkey Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Mar 30 2019 01:17 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^That does give new meaning to a bench seat. ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: 55 SHAKER Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Mar 30 2019 02:50 PM
I drove my truck 500 miles sitting on a milk crate, before I had a seat for it.
Posted By: EdPruss Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Mar 30 2019 05:36 PM
Yeah, I thot milk crates were the ideal setup.

Ed
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Mar 30 2019 09:18 PM
I didn't have the extra money for milk crates, I went with the free pallet set-up. The Mexican blanket just finishes off nicely I think.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Wed Apr 03 2019 04:37 PM
I subscribe to the idea if you can do something for 15 minutes every day the project will move continue to move along. I've been dabbling with hand buffing out and waxing the old paint. So far I've gotten the front clip done. Not sure if these pics will show the difference.

Planning on tackling the king pins and bushings this weekend. Been reading what I can find. Mostly from the main Stovebolt page.

Attached picture 51933x.jpg
Attached picture 51854x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Thu Apr 04 2019 09:26 PM
A brief history of an old truck: (Wish I knew more.)

Became good friends with a guy that I met at Carlisle a couple years ago. He's an AD enthusiast. About a year and a half ago My wife and I decided to ask him to find us a truck. Prefer a GMC, and a 5 window, but a Chevy 3 window would be fine too. Must be a manual trans truck, and really solid! We went back and forth over about a dozen trucks over a 4 month period. One day he called and said "I think I found your truck, 49 GMC, light pale green. In southern California" Sounds good, go get it. (From the east coast) Couple days later he called and said "I definitely found your truck!! 47 GMC 5 window, been sitting in a garage in So Cal for 30 years. Hasn't moved. Owner died decades ago and the family is ready to get rid of it."

He picked up both trucks and a 59 GMC. Mine was the first one. Notice the drag mark behind the tire getting it out of the garage. (That's my favorite picture of this truck, he texted it to me shortly after taking it)

I do have a contact number for a relative. Left a voice mail but haven't heard back. I'll try again. It's a great piece of history, I'd like to know more about it.

Attached picture 33114x.jpg
Attached picture 33119x.jpg
Attached picture 33185.jpeg
Attached picture 33222x.jpg
Attached picture 33234x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Thu Apr 04 2019 09:36 PM
Heading home.

Attached picture 3844x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Thu Apr 11 2019 08:53 PM
In the nothing ever goes as planned category, I attempted to change the king pins and bushings last Friday. After reading everything I could, especially here , I removed all the necessary parts but wasn't able to pound out the pins. Holy smokes they were in there. I ended up taking out the axle and bringing it to a friend's shop to do it on a press. I'm planning on cleaning everything up this weekend and putting it all back together. Wish me luck!

Attached picture 82135x.jpg
Attached picture 82127x.jpg
Attached picture 33336x.jpg
Attached picture 71132x.jpg
Attached picture 45642x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Apr 12 2019 08:53 PM
Went back together pretty easy. Still don't have the new drag link or the adjusted pitman arm yet. I put the wheels on anyway.
There's a really cool car show in Davisburg Michigan June 1st. Sins of Steel. Traditional hot rods, all pre 64 stuff. The attitude there is great. Not to many pretentious jerks. I'm shooting to have this thing on the road for that. Still pages of stuff to do.

Attached picture 12910x.jpg
Attached picture 64025x.jpg
Posted By: Frank50 Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Mon Apr 15 2019 07:54 PM
Great work. Nice save, too. Congrats! Should be a great driver. I read all posts and didn't see it addressed, or any pictures, so I will ask: what did you do about the original crossmember that was under the 6-cylinder bellhousing? Or was this truck previously hot rodded with a V8 and that crossmember removed or altered? Apparently it did/does not have the original torque-tube rear axle. If you did discuss any of that, sorry I missed it.

The 50 Chevy 3600 I bought in 99 had a SBC V8 in it already. The steering box was moved outboard of the frame about 1.5-2". The solution to the clutch pedal arm hitting the exhaust was to bend the arm away from the exhaust and bring it thru the floor in a new hole. That put the clutch and brake pedals at different levels, but worked great.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Mon Apr 15 2019 11:28 PM
Thanks Frank. The truck had the original 6 cyl, manual trans (I think a 4 speed) and torque tube rear end. Part of the deal from the guy that got it for me was that he put a 57 Chevy truck rear end in it. The original crossmember is sitting in the bed of the truck awaiting the next run to the scrap yard unless you or someone else wants it. Send me a PM. I addressed the pedal by putting another hole in the brake arm about a half inch down, then cutting about a half inch off the arm and the original hole. I notched the floor lower about a half inch and bolted it back together. The pedal sits in about the original position, but the swing arc isn't exactly correct, but it feels just fine. I also added a 3/16 dowel to the assembly for a little reassurance in case the bolt ever loosened up. There's a lot of red locktite down there so I'm feeling pretty confident. Seems to work pretty good now even though I haven't actually driven it.

Attached picture 191752x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Tue Apr 16 2019 12:57 AM
Just re-read your post. The cross member in the bellhousing area got chopped up. The one I have is for the trans...I think.
Posted By: Frank50 Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Tue Apr 16 2019 02:10 PM
Okay, thanks. I don't want to make a fuss, but that crossmember adds a lot of structural support to the frame besides holding up the rear of the engine. I know some others will not agree... My 50 3600 that I mentioned had a 54 or later crossmember and a bellhousing designed to mount to that crossmember - in the original location. Behind that was the old SM-420 4-speed and original driveshaft. Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing your truck. I like it! I hope you have a ball with it.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Tue Apr 16 2019 03:27 PM
I tried using a bellhousing that would mount to the frame crossmember but the starter on my 350 wouldn't fit into the area that was for it on the bellhousing. I ended up having to find a "621" bellhousing. I did add a crossmember under the new trans. Not sure how much structural integrity it added. Probably not much.
Posted By: Frank50 Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Apr 19 2019 01:34 PM
What is a 621 bellhousing?
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Apr 19 2019 04:02 PM
Aluminum GM bellhousing that fits the 11 inch clutch and starter I have. Was used on big blocks and small blocks. Not sure the years but I'm guessing late 60s thru the 70s. They're reproduced now but I was able to find one at Hershey last fall. It was a great score for me. Same guy had a NOS clutch and brake pedal set up with Z bar etc for a late 60s early 70s Nova. One of my favorite cars. I grabbed that too. Can never be too optimistic, even though my wife says I have enough vehicles.
Posted By: Frank50 Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Mon Apr 22 2019 07:27 PM
Thanks! And again, good work and good luck.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri May 03 2019 02:37 PM
Got my steering parts back from Nostalgia Sid's. Instead of bending the pitman arm to compensate for my steering box being moved over, he put a taper in it to accept a newer style tie rod end. So the new joint is on the inside instead of the outside. Sid also tapered the steering arm and made me a new drag link to make it all work together. I'm planning on putting it all back together this weekend.

I also put some paint in the area behind the grill. Whenever I see an old car or truck with an aluminum radiator clearly showing I think to myself "That looks kinda dumb". Now I'm that guy. I've got a diesel lawn mower and whenever the radiator gets grass or dirt in it the thing overheats. I hate to put paint on the radiator fins reducing the efficiency of the rad. Maybe I'm overreacting, I dunno. They've been painting radiators since the dawn of time.

Attached picture 73331x.jpg
Attached picture 91321x.jpg
Attached picture 091712x.jpg
Attached picture 92655x.jpg
Posted By: Hotrod Lincoln Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri May 03 2019 02:46 PM
The cast iron bellhousing with the angled motor mounts will work, but the 3-bolt starter mount boss has to be cut away for clearance for the block-mounted starter. The Chevy bellhousing I use on my engine dyno has been modified that way. Since the torque load of the dyno is carried by the bellhousing on my setup, the later model aluminum one isn't an option!
Jerry
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri May 03 2019 02:46 PM
Sid’s does quality work. Maybe it’s because he’s from Oklahoma and the town I was born in! drive
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri May 03 2019 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
Sid’s does quality work. Maybe it’s because he’s from Oklahoma and the town I was born in! drive

And he's a nice guy to talk to on the phone. Probably for the same reason. smile
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri May 03 2019 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
The cast iron bellhousing with the angled motor mounts will work, but the 3-bolt starter mount boss has to be cut away for clearance for the block-mounted starter. The Chevy bellhousing I use on my engine dyno has been modified that way. Since the torque load of the dyno is carried by the bellhousing on my setup, the later model aluminum one isn't an option!
Jerry

I had thought about that, but chickened out. That's cool though.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri May 03 2019 09:36 PM
Got the steering back together. With the new disk brakes, fresh king pins and bushings, new drag link and ends, and tires I'm feeling a bit more confident about the front end of this truck,

Put new chrome emblems on it, put the glove box in and a new glove box button/lock.

Attached picture 63358x.jpg
Attached picture I173117x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Mon May 06 2019 02:58 PM
Got the exhaust done today. I'm digging how it came out. Sounds and looks great. IMHO
I drove it home from the exhaust shop. Much less scary than the first ride. The alternator isn't wired yet so I was a bit worried about making it home. All worked out.

Next weekend it's going back to my buddy's shop (hopefully), we're going to attempt to sort out the wiring.

Attached picture 02524x.jpg
Attached picture 93915x.jpg
Attached picture 93455x.jpg
Attached picture 93449x.jpg
Posted By: Frank50 Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Mon May 06 2019 06:05 PM
Many moons ago I talked with Sid about dropping a Chevy 3600 (3/4-ton) front axle and reshaping the steering rods, etc. I decided not to do a static drop on that truck. He seemed very knowledgeable, helpful and courteous. His work looks very good. No wonder he has a good reputation.

Your truck looks great. I love the duals. Done just in time for the cruising season.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Mon May 06 2019 07:07 PM
Yeah, I like Sid. Seems like he's done a lot of em.

Thanks.
As of today Sins of Steel is 26 days away. The wiring is a mess. The lady doing the seat texted me last week that she's just getting started on it, but is having surgery this week but will "try to get it done for when I need it". Ugh. There's some work to be done on the rear end and I really have to do something inside the cab. And, I'm planning on putting an oak bed in it from Mar-K. I also have 2 full pages of misc. stuff to do. We'll see how it goes.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Thu May 09 2019 10:10 PM
Started on the boards for the bed. Wasn't sure about the color at first, but now that I have stain on all the bottoms of the boards I like it.
Hoping to install it next Thursday or middle of the following week. We'll see how it goes.

Attached picture 172410x.jpg
Posted By: Twinshadows Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Mon May 13 2019 06:51 PM
"Mark"

I have read through your build . Really great job so far ..... makes me want too go looking for 'That old GMC truck'.

I can relate to your T 5 install : I bought a '93 Sonoma W/C T 5 & followed along with "Jay's T 5 page". I installed that trans

into my '69 NOVA , behind my original 250 / 6 (had the stock power-glide), and that T 5 made my Nova "A FUN CAR to DRIVE, AGAIN".

Keep Your build going --- alot of us ARE Following along ......... Thanks for all the Info & Pictures

jim
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Mon May 13 2019 08:06 PM
Thanks Jim, I appreciate that. Late 60's Novas and 66 Chevelles are my favorite cars. Seem like they all have SS emblems on em now. You'd think GM only made them that way. A 250 with a T5 would be a great set up in a Nova. I mentioned in another post someplace that I bought a set of NOS clutch and brake pedals for a late 60s-early 70s nova at Hershey. Had the Z-bar and all the doodads. Great score. It's on my automotive bucket list for sure. (Jay coached me all along the way doing my T5)

My buddy John and I spent 12 hours this weekend trying to sort out the electrical on this truck. The guy I got it from put in a 12 volt harness, but since I bought it without a motor and trans there were quite a few wires dangling. Also, I never got the wiring diagram so we really didn't know what went where. I really don't know what I was thinking but I figured it'd take us 4 or 5 hours. Doh! At this point I've got headlights, running lights, tail and brake lights. The truck starts with a switch. The alternator works, but we have to make a change to the wiring, and we ran a lead for an electric fan, but we need to add in a relay and a switch for it. We changed out a headlight bucket for a new one too. I've got no dash or gauge lights, but that's due to a faulty headlight switch. I'd like to get the dome light and horn to work. That might be asking for a lot. Lol.

If it wasn't for a few friends of mine, especially my buddy John from high school (close to 40 years ago), this truck wouldn't even have a motor in it yet!

I'm still trying to get a lot more done before June 1st, but I'm falling behind on my "real" work. Ugh. As I like to say, I'll see how it goes!

Attached picture 83618x.jpg
Attached picture 3650x.jpg
Attached picture 54108x.jpg
Attached picture 70912x.jpg
Attached picture 83733x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sun May 26 2019 07:29 PM
Got my seat back from upholstery today. It was done by the sister of a good friend of mine. To say that I'm delighted would be a gross understatement! This seat smelled and looked disgusting when she picked it up. I felt kinda bad that her house might smell like it. Ick. It's all leather and smells like a new leather coat. Can't wait to get it in the truck. It really came out great!

I discovered that the heater core is leaking. Ugh. Drained the radiator and pulled it out last night. Took it all apart early this morning. I'm doubting that I can have it fixed and the fan motor replaced or rewired for 12 volts by the weekend. The dilemma is that the radiator drain is on the front of the radiator and can't be reached with the grill in place. I bolted the grill in late last night. If I bypass the heater, then put it back in later I'll have to go the nuclear option and just pull the bottom hose off. No biggie I guess. The heater core is an old Mopar Deluxe unit. I'm guessing it's from the 40s.? It's pretty cool and apparently has been in the truck for a really long time. I'm planning on rebuilding and using it.

Sins of Steel is in 6 days and I still have pages of stuff to get done.
We'll see how it goes....I'll keep ya'll posted

Mark

Attached picture 074700x.jpg
Attached picture 74720x.jpg
Attached picture 34834x.jpg
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Mon May 27 2019 01:25 AM
I'm about to get my 63 seat done. I'm thinking fabric would be cooler than vinyl, but less durable. What made you decide leather? I'm sure I'd like leather too.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Mon May 27 2019 02:10 AM
Originally Posted by Lugnutz
I'm about to get my 63 seat done. I'm thinking fabric would be cooler than vinyl, but less durable. What made you decide leather? I'm sure I'd like leather too.

Basically I got an offer I couldn't refuse. Lol. We really wanted to do leather but figured we couldn't afford it. Our family friend did it for far less than we could have hoped for. She brought over some samples and we really liked this combination. The insert is a textured leather used in the Ford king ranch trucks, the rest is GM.

I'll post a couple pics when I get the interior together. I ended up ordering brown carpet since the seat came out so nice.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Mon May 27 2019 06:20 PM
Focused on shiny things this morning.

Spent considerable amount of time this afternoon on the wiper motor. Too many pieces missing, it's beyond my immediate control. I'll skip it for now. Bummer.

Attached picture 130446x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Tue May 28 2019 11:38 PM
The "Mopar Deluxe" heater core is a total loss. Oh well. I'm looking for a decent AD one now. There's a guy on Ebay that has a couple. They look nicely refurbished, but are out of my price range at the moment. I'll bypass it for the time being. Lots more to do.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Thu May 30 2019 09:14 PM
Tackled the bed today. Gordon came out early and helped the entire day. Couldn't have done it with out him!
By 8am I broke both bolts holding the tailgate hinge on and the first holding the old bed wood. Not a great start. We decided to take a circular saw down the plywood and take the center section out. That worked great. Had to sawzall out some of the bolts, but we got em. We test fit the entire assembly, took it all back apart then did the outside boards first. After that we worked from the right side because we knew working around the gas tank would be a challenge. It was. Took just over 8 hours and I'll clean up tomorrow. All in all I'm pretty happy with the results.

Attached picture 10234x.jpg
Attached picture 95740x.jpg
Attached picture 85202x.jpg
Attached picture 94359x.jpg
Attached picture 094625x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Thu May 30 2019 09:15 PM
TADA!

Attached picture 62554x.jpg
Attached picture 83929x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri May 31 2019 04:30 PM
Got the back end buttoned up this morning. New repop bumper.
Got the carpet in. I don't really like the match and I didn't really do a great job putting it in. Combination of a pair of crappy scissors, dull box cutter and a guy that really has no idea what he's doing.
Then I put the shifter box back in with sheet metal screws. The first screw grabbed the carpet and put a really long run in it. What an idiot Jeez! Looks terrible. Good thing I did a lousy job installing it.
Oh well. Still things to get done. I gotta wire in the electric fan, then I'm wanting to put some miles on it. I'll finish up the trim stuff later tonight.
We'll see how it goes...

Attached picture 11417x.jpg
Attached picture 102103x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri May 31 2019 08:33 PM
Got the fan wired up, and a few loose ends straightened up and took er for a ride. Drove a couple miles and decided to take a look under the hood. The radiator is leaking like crazy. UGH! I'm sure the local "all night radiator shop" is closed tonite.

So tomorrow I'll be a spectator at Sins of Steel....again!

Attached picture 53123x.jpg
Attached picture 53106x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Jun 01 2019 12:05 PM
I'm looking for a radiator cover for the GMC. It's different than the Chevy. I posted it here , but this thread seems to have some traction so I thought i'd ask.

Sorry if this is overly tacky.

Attached picture 74424x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Tue Jun 25 2019 01:33 PM
Just after this last post I pulled the radiator out, had it "fixed" and put it back in. Drove it 4 miles and it leaked again. This was really my own stupidity. A new aluminum radiator is only a couple hundred bucks and it's a pain in the rear to pull it out and put it back in. I ordered a new Champion radiator (I've got one in my square body and love it). I hadn't touched the truck since. Life gets in the way. (although I did ride my Harley 4500 miles from Mich out west especially in the awesome state of Utah.) Finally this weekend I swapped out the radiator and put the first 6 uneventful miles on this truck in decades. Now it'll sit again for a few weeks at least while life gets in the way again. (no bike trips planned unfortunately). The timing isn't quite right, the steering is a bit "floaty" and there's still pages of work to get done on it. But it looks pretty cool and really that's whats important!

Attached picture 15008x.jpg
Attached picture 81957x.jpg
Attached picture 3356x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Jul 05 2019 07:02 PM
Worked on the fuel gauge today. It kinda works...sort of. fuel gauge

Too much to do the next couple weeks so I won't be able to mess with it. Hoping to drive it at least a little. I put it back in my car barn. I always enjoy looking at other peoples crap so I thought I'd post a pic of mine. Over the years I've discovered the correct number of Hot Rods, Harleys or Handguns is exactly 1 more. I've got room for one more.

Attached picture 41729x.jpg
Attached picture 1800x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Jul 27 2019 11:47 AM
After i wired up the fuel gauge it bobbed up to 3/4 tank, about where it should be, then settled in at 1/4 tank. I put 5 gallons of gas in to fill the tank. It then showed 1/2 full. I drove it a couple time totaling about 8 miles then parked it and haven't touched it in the three weeks since. I had to move it out of my barn to get at something else and noticed the fuel gauge seems to read the correct full. Started it up a couple times and it goes up and down like it should. Hmmm... maybe I'm a genius.

Yes I know the cluster is crooked. It's on the list.

Attached picture 4158x.jpg
Attached picture 84150x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Jul 27 2019 03:57 PM
Well I drove it about 30 miles. More than all previous trips combined. Still scares me to drive, but it ran pretty good. Unfortunately the fuel gauge didn't work at all so I'm temporarily crossing "I'm a genius" off the list and putting "bad ground" back on.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Aug 17 2019 06:51 PM
After another few weeks I found some time to spend on my truck. I finally set the timing. Wow, what a difference! Fires right up, even hot. I wired up the tach, that's kinda nice. Replaced the way to short fan belt that we had to pry on but needed something to run the truck. I put a 2 inch longer one on. Perfect. I spent some time cleaning up, (hiding) the wiring mess under the hood, then did some touch up painting on the Chevy orange that took a beating during the original install. Photos might not show it, but it looks a lot better under the hood. Also, the fuel gauge works.

My plan this afternoon was to change the headlight switch and straighten out the gauge cluster. The switch works for the running, tail and headlights, but the dash lights don't work. My new switch is different enough that my lack of electrical knowledge stopped me from getting it done. I messed with the original switch quite a while, but wasn't able to fix the problem. I put it back the way it was. Bummer. One of the many projects that take hours and produce nothing in return. Oh well, I did straighten out the gauge cluster. I'll buy the correct switch and try again.

Took the truck for a couple rides today. Ran great although I'm still expecting some catastrophic failure. Drove 54 mile round trip to East Lansing. Then put 4 gallons of gas in it. 13.5 MPG. I don't think I drove it at all in the few weeks since I filled it previously. This afternoon I put another 25 miles on it. I now have over 100 miles with nothing leaking, (to the point of sidelining me), falling off, (not including an emblem screw, or anything that fell off on the road that I'm not yet aware of), or catching fire. I'm starting to like driving this truck. Haven't taken it on the expressway yet.

At 2000 RPM in 5th gear I'm doing 60 MPH according to my GPS speedometer app. (The app is pretty accurate compared to my newer Sierra) Seems like a pretty good situation to me.

On the short to do list is welding on a couple tabs to the 57 Chevy truck rear end for the 47 knee shocks. That should help to stabilize the rear end of the truck a bit I think.
Also, seat belts. That should help to stabilize the rear end of the pilot.

Attached picture 24905x.jpg
Attached picture 21925x.jpg
Attached picture 40022x.jpg
Attached picture 21906_1x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Aug 17 2019 06:56 PM
As it currently sits.

Attached picture 201557.jpg
Attached picture 201518x.jpg
Attached picture 201439x.jpg
Attached picture 201531.jpg
Attached picture 201457x.jpg
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Aug 17 2019 07:30 PM
She’s a pretty girl.🛠
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Mon Aug 19 2019 12:21 AM
Thanks smile
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Thu Aug 22 2019 02:48 PM
My plan for today was to try to seal up the leaking diff by pulling off the rear cover and resealing it, and maybe adding some sealant to the front side after cleaning everything up. When I crawled under the truck I was surprised to see a gear lube mess everywhere. Looks like it's been leaking possibly from the pinion seal and slinging everywhere. It's all over the exhaust. I'm not a rocket scientist but that doesn't seem safe. Especially since oil is dripping from the varnished wood bed. I'm seeing red flags for driving this thing until that's fixed. Unfortunately, I think that's beyond my limited capabilities.

I did get to the seat belts. They're bolted to a sheet metal floor. Hmmm. Not sure if that's a genius idea either. I did use the giant grade 8 washers under the floor, and If there was a situation that pulled those through the floor I've got serious problems anyway. I did manage to drop one of the screws that holds the seat back in place behind the seat. Spent way to long trying to retrieve it with long magnet tools and other doodads to no avail. Ugh, always something. Since this truck isn't safe at the moment I think I'll take my motorcycle for a long overdue ride.

Next thing I think will be adjusting the steering box as the shop manual describes. Can't get to it today though.

Attached picture 84536x.jpg
Attached picture 02144x.jpg
Attached picture 93742x.jpg
Attached picture 93731_1x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Tue Aug 27 2019 03:34 PM
I resealed what I could on the rear end, and chronicled it here .
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Aug 30 2019 09:41 PM
Got the headliner in today. I didn't scrape out all the old stuff like I probably should have. It'll be taken out and a brown headliner will be put in after the truck gets painted. The bows will get painted brown then too. The rest of the interior as well as the outside of the truck will be a dark hunter green.

It's amazing what a difference a couple pieces of cardboard make.

Attached picture 64500x.jpg
Attached picture 64452x.jpg
Attached picture 71332x.jpg
Posted By: 52Carl Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Aug 31 2019 12:15 AM
Those '47-early '49 headliners are much better looking than the later ones with the floating centers. I have have mine in my early '49 for 2 years and it still looks like new.
My '50 headliner did not look as good as new right after I installed it.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sun Sep 01 2019 07:06 PM
Wasn't as bad to install as I was expecting either.

DOH! Guess I didn't think that through thoroughly. Oh well, visors are over rated anyway. I'll wait till later and put brown ones in.
All new weatherstripping then too.

Attached picture 145707x.jpg
Attached picture 145721x.jpg
Posted By: WE b OLD Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Mon Sep 02 2019 10:04 AM
What about insulation in the roof?????? Can make a world of difference in comfort.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Tue Sep 03 2019 12:46 PM
Yeah, planning on doing it when I redo the headliner. I need to put it in the floor too. Getting a lot of heat in the floor during the couple times I drove it. The name brand stuff is pretty expensive so I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Wed Oct 16 2019 07:48 PM
Just got back from Hershey. After 2 days searching I found the part I've been looking for at the last vendor of the day. Guy had a bunch of GMC parts including this radiator cover front piece. (Got the top piece from one our fellow members here.) I wasn't smart enough to get the vendor's number. Doh! The original GMC radiator had an elbow that came off of it for the fill. I'll have to cut the top piece to adapt for my radiator. I paid a lot for the part but couldn't be happier. It's amazing how a 54 year old guy can get excited about finding a rusty piece of metal.

Might be a while before I can make the adjustments, paint and install, but I'll post some pics when I do.

Attached picture 40327x.jpg
Attached picture 40217x.jpg
Attached picture 40225x.jpg
Attached picture 40338x.jpg
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Wed Oct 16 2019 09:55 PM
Good for you!
I've had mixed results at the swap meets. I usually get more excited by finding something at the salvage yard that I wasn't looking for - which explains my trailer full of parts I don't really need (but someone else hopefully does!)
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Thu Oct 17 2019 07:49 PM
Swap meets are great. Last year at Hershey I bought a set of NOS clutch and brake pedals for a 68-74 Nova. I don't actually own a Nova, but one day I'm gonna by golly, and it's gonna have a stick shift in it!

One of the challenges of being self employed is overcoming the urge to do something besides work. Sometimes I'm not good at that. On a brighter note I got the radiator cover done and installed in my 47. I'm pretty sure that's more important anyway.

Not sure if there's any interest in my crude cutting, grinding and generally abusing rare original GMC sheet metal, but I'll post the process pics anyway. Not sure how the pros do it.

Attached picture 00933x.jpg
Attached picture 01810x.jpg
Attached picture 03527x.jpg
Attached picture 121521x.jpg
Attached picture 45126x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Oct 26 2019 12:34 PM
I decided to put a set of oak side rails on the truck. Got started on em. My wife really wanted them. I could go either way, but now that they're taking shape I like them. Still have some work to do before I stain and finish them to match the bed. I'll post pics when I get to that.

No progress on the rear end other than that I spent some time talking with the owner of the Ring and Pinion shop near Detroit. I'm planning on bring him the pig from it. If he can save the gear set he'll rebuild it. He said new gears are hard to find. I need a hand pulling that apart so it sits for now.

Attached picture 075527x.jpg
Attached picture 151142x.jpg
Attached picture 134446x.jpg
Attached picture 141320x.jpg
Attached picture 143437x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Nov 01 2019 07:17 PM
Got the side rail thingies done today. When I was looking at doing these I looked at a bunch of em online. There didn't seem to be any standard for doing them, they were all very different. I wanted to stick with the farm truck look, but I didn't want it to look too utilitarian. So this is what I came up with. Matches the bed wood really well.

Attached picture 160251x.jpg
Attached picture 104536x.jpg
Attached picture 144925x.jpg
Attached picture 144845x.jpg
Attached picture 144951x.jpg
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sun Nov 03 2019 05:01 AM
I like it! thumbs_up
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Thu Dec 19 2019 08:21 PM
Finally got a chance to pull the pig out of the rear end. Wasn't pretty, but I got it out. I'll take it to the Ring and Pinion Shop near Detroit tomorrow afternoon. The shop owner told me if he could save the gears he could rebuild it. It shows the tell tale writing of having spent time in a salvage yard. I'd assume that was before the catastrophic meltdown.

The truck started great and sounded pretty good a couple days ago when I moved stuff around in my barn so I could position the truck to work on it. I'll keep you posted as the situation progresses.

BTW, thanks Jay!

Attached picture 44354x.jpg
Attached picture 44401x.jpg
Attached picture 01653x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Dec 28 2019 07:12 PM
Ring and Pinion shop (Clinton Twp, Mi.) called Thursday and said my differential was done. They completely rebuilt it using the existing ring and pinion which they said were fine. Was even a couple hundred bucks less than they originally quoted. Picked it up Friday and put it back together Friday eve. Put fresh gear oil in, tires on and took it for a 4 mile drive today. Ran great, even better, put a big smile on my face.

On to the next project. I think that'll be a rad overflow bottle. Got some thinking to do on that one. Wanting to use a Four Roses bottle a good buddy gave me, but I have to fab something that'll hold it and not break it. Also, there's really not a lot of room to place it.

Attached picture 33528x.jpg
Attached picture 62755x.jpg
Attached picture 40843x.jpg
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sun Dec 29 2019 02:51 AM
Thanks for the updates. Driving it with the T5 I presume.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sun Dec 29 2019 09:00 PM
The T5 was one of the best decisions that I made for this thing. I love it. The S10 version put the shifter in the exact perfect location with the bench seat. (I helped it a bit with the Hurst extension and short throw conversion) I'm glad the rear end was rebuild-able with the 3.90 gear ratio. That seems like the best setup for this truck with the 350 small block up front. I haven't had it much above 60 mph yet, but next summer I'm planning on driving it a lot.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Mon Mar 09 2020 06:59 PM
Finally getting some decent days here in central Michigan. I switched out the headlight switch last week. Got the dash lights working for the first time in decades. Woohoo!

The interior has been a weak spot on this truck. The dash is a bit butchered up from a previous owner. I figured a body guy would have to fix that when the truck got painted, That isn't going to be any time soon. I was reading thru this thread and saw a post from Dads50 . (See pic below from Dads50 truck) I started to think maybe I could do the interior myself. I called a local welder-fab guy that I've used and been happy with. He came over and said he could weld in a patch where the radio hole butchery is. I just want the whole area filled in. Decided to install an electric wiper set-up before my access hole got filled in. I ordered that today. Hopefully I'll install it next week. Between the two local hardware stores they had both bronze Rust-oleum colors.

Attached picture 41801x.jpg
Attached picture 23305x.jpg
Attached picture 318900B5-D3C5-49BC-B18B-7F3CDEFAA560.jpeg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Mar 14 2020 06:38 PM
Came up with an idea for a radiator overflow bottle. (Not entirely original, I've seen whisky bottles used before) Wasn't sure how to mount it so I called a local leather craftsman that made a holster for me. I sent him (B.E. Long Leatherworks, Thanks Bernie!) the pic of me holding the bottle and asked him to come up with something. I really liked how it came out, then thought up the copper tubing idea. I realize it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it. Kinda Steampunk meets Virginia still.

Attached picture IMG_20200314_141017.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20200314_124022.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20200312_164638.jpg
Attached picture 122013x.jpg
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Mar 14 2020 08:56 PM
That's nice! Will the bottle cap be used with a rubber grommet? The coiled copper line is like a moonshine still!
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Mar 14 2020 10:28 PM
I've got a cork pressed in it. That was kinda my thinking, moonshine still. Weird, but I like it.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Mar 21 2020 01:15 PM
Got the electric wiper kit in. That was a bear to do. Pretty sure I did everything wrong, but it seems to work just fine. Took hours to get in and more to get it timed in. I ended up timing in the driver's side then bending the passenger's side connecting arm into submission until it worked. The switch with the original style knob just wouldn't fit so I make a bracket and mounted it under the dash. I'll put the original switch back in and change the functioning knob later when I paint the interior. The other challenge is that the speedometer won't go back in with the wiper motor in place. My hope is that when I take the gauge cluster to freshen it up I can put the speedo back in first, then the gauge cluster. No way I'm taking the wiper motor out again! Got the wipers on too. They're not exactly where I want them but that's a project for another day. And the wiring mess will need to be cleaned up one day.

Attached picture 63705x.jpg
Attached picture 63801x.jpg
Attached picture 63631x.jpg
Attached picture 161935x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Mar 21 2020 01:17 PM
I freshened up the speedometer last night. I broke some internal doodads taking it apart so it'll never work again, but it looks nice and that's what really matters.

Attached picture 51651x.jpg
Attached picture 70601x.jpg
Attached picture 85028x.jpg
Attached picture 52022x.jpg
Posted By: glenns towing Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Mar 21 2020 01:50 PM
Well. Live and learn, but i would perfer the function over the prettiness. JMO
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Mar 21 2020 03:10 PM
Wasn't planning on hooking it up anyway. Not sure about the connection to my t5 and my phone has a speedo app that's pretty good. But I know what you mean.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Mar 21 2020 07:06 PM
Got the original '47 knee action shocks mounted up today. Made up a couple brackets and had em welded on. I'm guessing they should add some stability to the rear end. Used a couple heim joints.

Attached picture 35639x.jpg
Attached picture 122517x.jpg
Attached picture 125103x.jpg
Attached picture 144030x.jpg
Attached picture 144008x.jpg
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sat Mar 21 2020 09:52 PM
I'd say you've been very busy this last week.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sun Mar 22 2020 12:32 AM
In Michigan, as I suppose the rest of the globe, everything is basically closed. I'm self employed so I'm used to staying home. Fortunately I have some work in the shop. Not sure if I'll be unemployed for the duration of this thing or really busy. Either way, seems like I've got time to work on the truck. Especially if the weather is decent. (And I stay healthy)

I'm hoping to get the interior done over the next couple weeks. Planning on welding the chopped up area of the dash next Saturday, then I can paint it and reassemble everything. I'd like to get as much done in the meantime as possible but don't want to have to mask things twice. Might be trial and error like everything else I suppose. I'll keep y'all posted as things progress.

How cold is too cold to spray bomb Rust-Oleum?
Posted By: glenns towing Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Sun Mar 22 2020 02:47 AM
Not sure but the BBQ grill specific black spray paint that is really good to use on aluminium rads suggests 50F to be an ideal temp. Supposedly adhears well to aluminum. I sprayed a rad at about 50f and seemed good. Not that any ofthis has anything todo with rustoleum. dang
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Mon Mar 23 2020 08:41 PM
Sounds good. I'm going with 50 degrees. It's going to be in the 50s most of the week here.
Posted By: glenns towing Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Mon Mar 23 2020 11:32 PM
Perfect. Post more pics. We're all getting board and like to watch other people work. nanner
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Mar 27 2020 07:46 PM
I know what you mean Glenns Towing. As much as I like the high end car shows on TV, I got hooked on a YouTuber named "DD speed Shop". He does his own budget hot rod stuff in a small garage in Canada. He's been working on an early 70s Chevy truck he pulled from a junk yard for a couple hundred bucks.

I'm in Michigan and we're a lockdown state. (Today is March 27th 2020). My main customer is a large supplier to the medical industry so naturally they've been deemed essential. Since I'm a vendor for them I'm part of their supply chain, so I'm busy working now. Ironically, I've been super slow all of Jan thru early March when it was to cold to work in the garage. Now that it's 50 and sunny I've got work to do in the shop. Not complaining, most of my buddies are not working at all.

Anyway, I did manage to get something done on the truck this week. I got it to the welder to patch in the dash (committing a misdemeanor by the act of driving it there, Jeez). He did a pretty good job of it. I put a coat of Bondo to fill in as needed. My skill set and tools consists of a couple YouTube videos (Why do people with no skills at all do "how to" videos?) and some sand paper and a piece of 2x4. All in all, it's good enough for now. I do think I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this project. I'm not taking the headliner down, and I'm really not sure where to tape and mask to. I'll keep ya'll posted but here's where it's at now.

Mark

Attached picture 41801x.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20200326_092049.jpg
Attached picture 111656x.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20200327_124852.jpg
Attached picture 31952.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Mon Apr 06 2020 12:48 PM
Got some interior work done this weekend. I could never be a body and paint guy. Besides the fact that I don't know what I'm doing, it's really tedious and frustrating. I did make some progress though. Planning to put the actual paint on today, and maybe even start to put it back together.

Attached picture 81600x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Mon Apr 06 2020 08:51 PM
Worked on the interior all day. The body work is a bit shady and the paint definitely has a rattle can vibe to it. If I had paid a lot to have it done I woulda wanted my money back, but considering I couldn't have done any better I'm actually pretty happy with the results. The pictures look almost as good as Dads50's.

Tomorrow I'll put the doors back together and hopefully start the weatherstripping install. I've got a feeling that'll be a chore.

Attached picture IMG_3x777.jpg
Attached picture 162057x.jpg
Attached picture 162300x.jpg
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Mon Apr 06 2020 09:48 PM
Sure does look nice.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Thu Apr 09 2020 12:30 PM
Spent better part of a day putting in the screw in weatherstrips. Seems like every screw fought me. I also bought new floor strips for the weatherstrip that butts up to the doors. The screws were to short but I found some sheet metal screw and used those. Got em all in and thought maybe the heads stuck out to much so I test closed a door and sure enough those wouldn't work. I was able to get a couple shorter screws to work but it's not quite right. Typical.

Since I had earlier put in a black headliner, I decided to use the black door panels that I had laying around. I really liked the look of the black with the bronze until I put in the carpet. Ugh, looks to orange. Now I wish I had put in black carpet. Oh well. All in all I'm pretty happy with the results. Especially for the amount of money invested. Still a few things to wrap up inside, but it's close.

Attached picture 175746x.jpg
Attached picture 175714x.jpg
Attached picture 171039x.jpg
Attached picture 161337x.jpg
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Thu Apr 09 2020 12:32 PM
It was almost 70 degrees here so I was able to was off the winters dust and crud. Couple random pics.

Thanks Jay!! Been praying for you folks in the medical field! Thanks for that too! (and anyone else on the front lines so to speak)

Attached picture 155130x.jpg
Attached picture 155529x.jpg
Posted By: moparguy Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Apr 10 2020 01:03 AM
Mark, looks GREAT!

Good Luck with the remaining details.

Enjoy,

RonR
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Fri Apr 10 2020 06:44 PM
Thanks Ron! Hoping to take it for a nice ride soon.
Posted By: Just Mark Re: SBC T5 in a 47? - Mon Jun 15 2020 06:54 PM
Update: I've been wanting to get some miles on my truck. Couple weeks ago set a goal to drive it 200 miles that week. I know, sad that I'd need to set a goal to drive my truck. Anyway drove it to a buddy's place 75 miles away. Took all back roads there and back. Ran great. (plus another 50 miles bumming around the area here) I did hit a nasty set of railroad tracks that shook the truck pretty good and shoved the rear vertical arms of the shocks into the bed. Bent em pretty good. I shoulda took a picture of that, didn't think of it at the time. Clearly I miscalculated the installation of those. Anyway I pulled them out, straightened them, then cut 2 inches out of the middle, welded them back together with some reinforcement. I think they're good to go for now.

Last week I drove it 180 miles to the Detroit area and back. Took it on the expressway about 70 miles total. Ran great. Got it up to 75MPH. At 75 it's turning about 2500 RPM. Seems perfect to me. The truck felt a bit floaty at that speed. The sweet spot seems to be 67 MPH at 2100 RPM.

Planning on taking it up to Coleman Michigan to pop in on the guy I got the motor from. He was a nice guy and wanted me to show him the truck when it was up and running. Of course that was pre-pandemic. Seems like a good place to turn around and head back. Looks like about 90 miles from here. I recall there was a stovebolter or two from that area. If I can remember who and where they are maybe we can meet up.

Planning to change the steering grease. Got new grease from fellow 'bolter DrDoug. I also ordered an anti-sway bar from CPP. Should be here in another day or so. Not sure when I'll do those projects.

Changed the shifter knob. Barb liked this one! The crappy plastic thread insert stripped out so I made up an aluminum one.

Attached picture 91426x.jpg
Attached picture 141518x.jpg
Attached picture 41555x.jpg
Attached picture thumbnail (1).jpg
© The Stovebolt Forums