Stovebolt.com
Posted By: Trent Tumbleson 48 chevy 1 ton gas tank - Wed Nov 24 2021 02:36 AM
I'm new to this whole resort thing. I got a 1948 Chevy Thriftmaster (1 ton) on a "barn find". I'm 0-19 in my efforts to find a gas tank (under bed) for it. Does anyone know where I can find one? Preferably new, but at this point, used will do.
Posted By: Eureka Jim Re: 48 chevy 1 ton gas tank - Fri Nov 26 2021 04:26 AM
Hello Trent, I haven't found a source for an exact replacement tank. I think your best bet is to place an ad here in the 'Parts Wanted' section. I've had pretty good luck finding things there.
Those tanks are difficult to find. I got lucky with my trucks in that good cleanings and a couple of small repairs were all that was needed.
Posted By: EdPruss Re: 48 chevy 1 ton gas tank - Fri Nov 26 2021 03:50 PM
You might be able to fit a behind the seat in there, new ones are available. Would have to make filler neck.

Ed
Posted By: Fox Re: 48 chevy 1 ton gas tank - Fri Nov 26 2021 05:02 PM
You are going to be hard pressed (near impossible) to find a custom fit tank for that 1 ton. If you're dead set on getting one back there, you are going to have to take measurements on the frame rails and find a fitted universal tank that will fit. In my opinion, just use the original behind the tank. If you have new hoses and a solid tank, the dreaded fumes don't exist. I have my tank behind the seat and I can't smell fuel.
Posted By: coilover Re: 48 chevy 1 ton gas tank - Sat Nov 27 2021 08:05 PM
The under bed tank became so hard to find we started making our own. A lot of people showed interest but we do not fabricate for any but our own projects so I did a write up on fabbing one up with home tooling. Not as pretty as the ones we do for shop customers with all our sheet metal equipment but it is cheap and out of sight anyway. Don't know on 1 Tons but on 1/2 and 3/4 the tank measures 13x13x21 inches. We use 18g cold rolled coated or 20g stainless which requires a TIG machine.

Common tools and using table edge to make bends:
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/f3FDsFhh/underbed-gas-tank-004.jpg[/img] [postimg.cc]

18g cold rolled broke into a 13x13x21 box:
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/Z9vX85X1/underbed-gas-tank-003.jpg[/img] [postimg.cc]

13x13 end plate with 1/2" flanges to fit into box section:
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/n9VJGt4B/underbed-gas-tank-005.jpg[/img] [postimg.cc]

Pick up tube and fuel line fitting are brazed/welded into front end plate and pick up tube tacked to bottom of tank:
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/Q9yb0Q5m/underbed-gas-tank-006.jpg[/img] [postimg.cc]

Would recommend anti slosh baffles before final end plate welded in place but not mandatory.

All seams are welded and frame brackets are fabricated. (pics if interested).
Posted By: lumbersawyer Re: 48 chevy 1 ton gas tank - Sun Nov 28 2021 03:52 PM
Is your tank missing? I have a 47 3600 and my tank looked like this. Not anything like a 1/2 ton. It measures 12x 7 x41. It sits under brackets from the left side frame. I was able to repair my tank as only the top was bad from dust sitting on the top.

Attached picture IMG_1062 gas tank.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1053 tank support.jpg
Posted By: coilover Re: 48 chevy 1 ton gas tank - Sun Nov 28 2021 05:54 PM
As stated, the bigger trucks had different sized tanks. Here is a 3100 tank on a 1948.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/WqwvN2gk/56-and-Model-A-010.jpg[/img] [postimg.cc]
Posted By: Fox Re: 48 chevy 1 ton gas tank - Mon Nov 29 2021 05:51 AM
🤪🤦🏼‍♂️

My apologies, Trent. I totally forgot about the 47-48 tanks being under the bed side.
Posted By: Twin Jimmys Re: 48 chevy 1 ton gas tank - Mon Nov 29 2021 10:52 PM
I believe I have a good used original tank. You will probably need to coat the inside but there is no holes or rot. If you can provide measurements I can verify. Please PM me your zip code and I can get you a shipping quote.
Posted By: klhansen Re: 48 chevy 1 ton gas tank - Tue Nov 30 2021 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by Twin Jimmys
I believe I have a good used original tank. You will probably need to coat the inside but there is no holes or rot. If you can provide measurements I can verify. Please PM me your zip code and I can get you a shipping quote.
Please take your offer to PM. Buying and selling is only allowed in the Swap Meet.
Posted By: Twin Jimmys Re: 48 chevy 1 ton gas tank - Tue Nov 30 2021 02:51 AM
Thank you and my apologies. Since the member is new and cannot PM I guess I will just post a for sale ad and hope they see it.
Posted By: tom moore Re: 48 chevy 1 ton gas tank - Wed Dec 01 2021 07:01 AM
1947-54 Suburban gas tanks are available at the usual vendors. Don’t see any reason why a Suburban tank can’t be mounted and possibly modify the filler neck if necessary. Just an idea

https://www.ecklers.com/1947-1948-c...nQnzAcnmnFMc1QnUfEGRLaaWtTsaAtq9EALw_wcB

Originally Posted by coilover
As stated, the bigger trucks had different sized tanks. Here is a 3100 tank on a 1948.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/WqwvN2gk/56-and-Model-A-010.jpg[/img] [postimg.cc]
Posted By: Trent Tumbleson Re: 48 chevy 1 ton gas tank - Fri Jan 14 2022 02:44 PM
I'm in southern MN. Zip is 56171. I am terrible at figuring out how respond/be notified someone answered me. My cell number is 507-236-5067. I just can't find one. I'm a farmer who is working on my 48 this winter. Please feel free to text or call.
Thanks.
Posted By: Trent Tumbleson Re: 48 chevy 1 ton gas tank - Fri Jan 14 2022 02:45 PM
I am bad at forums. My cell # is 507-236-5067. I still haven't found one. So I am interested.
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: 48 chevy 1 ton gas tank - Sat Jan 15 2022 04:04 AM
Publishing your phone # on a public forum is not recommended. If you click on your username a drop down menu will appear. Click on posts and it will take you to every post you have made and you can see if anyone has responded. Looks to me like you have received 11 responses to this thread.
Posted By: Eureka Jim Re: 48 chevy 1 ton gas tank - Sun Jan 16 2022 05:48 PM
Trent, how about this tank currently on eBay? Auction # 294729325316
Posted By: Twin Jimmys Re: 48 chevy 1 ton gas tank - Mon Jan 17 2022 12:00 AM
Trent, I will PM you this week. I will get a shipping cost and be in touch
Posted By: Trent Tumbleson Re: 48 chevy 1 ton gas tank - Mon Jan 17 2022 01:31 PM
You are correct. I have no idea how forums or swap meets work. My apologies for being naive.
Posted By: Trent Tumbleson Re: 48 chevy 1 ton gas tank - Mon Jan 17 2022 01:34 PM
I'll give it a shot. Thank you much.
Posted By: Trent Tumbleson Re: 48 chevy 1 ton gas tank - Thu Jan 20 2022 12:27 PM
I have looked in the "swap meet" as I was instructed. I haven't seen anything. This forum is crazy confusing for me. I don't believe I have gotten any pm's as well. But I will say this, you guys are very helpful with your thoughts and I thank you very much.
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: 48 chevy 1 ton gas tank - Thu Jan 20 2022 01:19 PM
Trent, in the upper right corner of the page next to your username you will see the image of a envelope. If that image is flashing you have a private message. Click on the flashing envelope to open the message. You can also go back to your profile and change your preferences to send you a notification email when someone sends you a PM.

One of the problems is the gas tank for the 1 tons is not being reproduced and used tanks are hard to come by, plus if you do find one it more than likely has had a visit from mister rust. Good luck.
© The Stovebolt Forums