Stovebolt.com
Posted By: New_Ton Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Mon Feb 15 2021 06:12 AM
Hi, it's been awhile since I posted.

Have been overseas for the the last 4 plus years and now it is time to return to the states.

I have a disassembled '54 3800 in storage and am trying to figure out how to get it from point A (Hampton Roads, VA) to point B (Mobile, AL).

She's been kept up on blocks for these last few years so the tires should still be good. Driveshaft and transmission are currently removed.

Is this something I can do myself (uhaul, tow dolly or something of the like) or am I better off paying someone to deliver her?

Looking forward to getting back to America!

Thanks all!
Posted By: klhansen Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Mon Feb 15 2021 07:56 AM
I've used u-haul car hauler trailers and their tow dollies. I would not recommend the tow dolly for that distance. I used one to haul a bare frame about 30 miles, but would never try it for that distance or with a complete truck. One-way U-haul charges might be more than just paying someone to haul it for you.
Posted By: coilover Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Mon Feb 15 2021 09:48 AM
If flat towed it would be best to pop out axles and plug tube ends as that way only the bearings are spinning and not the ring and pinion. I have had straight axle rigs be a bit difficult in sharp turns.
Posted By: John Milliman Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Mon Feb 15 2021 10:26 AM
Check our Hauling Board forum -- you might find that getting a professional to bring it to you will be well worth the cost (and probably not as costly as you think).
Posted By: New_Ton Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Mon Feb 15 2021 10:42 AM
Will do! Thank you for the replies!
Posted By: John Milliman Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Mon Feb 15 2021 11:20 AM
And because it is still a "project" and in pieces, maybe it will be considered a part of your PCS/HHG shipment ... ? wink

Beat Army,
John
Posted By: New_Ton Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Mon Feb 15 2021 11:58 AM
That's a wonderful idea but I'm switching "companies" and they are already having a conniption on the relocation costs. Already lost a job with NASA because of the fear of relocation costs so I'm not pushing anything at this point.

Go Navy,

Allen
Posted By: moparguy Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Mon Feb 15 2021 12:11 PM
I used a broker company arrange delivery of my '51 3600 back in '13. Distance was just under 700 miles and cost was $500.00. Way it worked was you post your load on the brokers site and haulers submit bids to deliver. I got lucky and a small one man operation with a nice 20' car hauler and diesel pickup up used my truck as his backhaul to his home in Arkansas (about 25 miles from my house, got lucky) . Zero problems. He sent pictures of the loaded truck before he left and called a couple times to keep me in the loop on the way to my place.

I don't remember the name of the broker but it was similar to this. [courierbrokers.com]

You know if I were in your shoes and since you may well have to be onsite anyway to help load your truck I'd just rent/borrow a car hauler style trailer and move it myself. That said you'd need at least a 3/4 ton truck and a good trailer (5k axles with brakes). Or a bud that was up to a quick weekend trip.
Good Luck, and WELCOME back!

RonR
Posted By: EdPruss Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Mon Feb 15 2021 02:04 PM
A U-haul two axle trailer would work if your tow vehicle is at least 3/4 ton. U-Ship might be the company Ron used. I have used them, no problems.

Ed
Posted By: Whitedog Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Mon Feb 15 2021 02:29 PM
When you say disassembled, what do you mean?

I towed a 54 3804 some 200+ miles with a 16 foot bobcat trailer and my F150. It was a little tongue heavy, but I had a set of tires, tools, come along, jacks, chains, air tank, etc... in the bed. A longer trailer would've let me roll the truck a little further back on the trailer and get some of the items out of the bed.

Your best bet may be a Uhaul box van and a flatbed trailer. You'll have to take a tape measure with you though, since the 3800 has a 137" wheel base. The Uhaul trailers are fairly short.

Another option is a company that hauls RV's and trailers. You may be able to catch one on a dead head.
Posted By: Phak1 Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Mon Feb 15 2021 02:50 PM
I towed my ‘52 3100 over 900 miles from South Carolina to upstate NY on a U-Haul trailer using my 2013 f-150 and it towed beautiful. My truck is equipped with the off road and tow package, and the 3.5 ecoboost so it was more that capable to tow the 6-7,000 lb load.
Posted By: New_Ton Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Mon Feb 15 2021 02:58 PM
By disassembled I mean transmission and driveshaft have been removed and the engine filled with oil. I placed the truck on jacks prior to leaving the states to hopefully save the tires. Gas tank was emptied, removed, rinsed with soapy water and then rerinsed with vodka (had extra remaining from the espresso cart we put in storage as well, another story).

Was about to swap out the sm420 with an nv4500 when the overseas job offer happened. Big life pivot but totally worth the experience for the family. I'm finding the transition overseas a whole lot easier than coming back though.

Thank you for all the advice!
Posted By: Whitedog Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Mon Feb 15 2021 03:07 PM
Well, let us know what you decide. And, Welcome back, to the Stovebolt and to the 'States.
Posted By: New_Ton Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Mon Feb 15 2021 03:37 PM
Thank you. It'll be a few months still. We fly back at the end of March and there's that small problem of finding a house first. I'll definitely post an update.
Posted By: Doc.Hall Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Mon Feb 15 2021 09:24 PM
I towed my 54 3100, 650 miles over mountains (Appalachian's), with a homemade tow bar attached to the bumper. It was made out of a bed frame, hey we were farmers in our early 20's. I remember a guy in a new Cadillac at a gas station on I-75. He asked how far we had to go? When we told him he shook his head and said and you think this jerry rigged thing will get you there? We both said mister we are farmers, danger is our business, we have already towed it 400 miles! He shook his head and said God protects fools and drunks, good luck. Doc.
Posted By: John Milliman Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Tue Feb 16 2021 12:44 AM
Another thing -- we have a couple of trailering/hauling articles in our Tech Tips section (see the menu bar at the very top of this page) -- They may provide you some additional insight.
Posted By: KEVINSKI Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Tue Feb 16 2021 02:21 AM
I used a tow bar with a light bar for the back of the truck.It was about a 600 mile trip in the winter we took two days and wheel that wore its holes allowing the rear wheel to go one way while we went the other it happened in front of a auto store with a tire shop so we were able to get fixed up quickly and lucky the tire did not hit anything .
Posted By: klhansen Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Tue Feb 16 2021 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by KEVINSKI
I used a tow bar with a light bar for the back of the truck.It was about a 600 mile trip in the winter we took two days and wheel that wore its holes allowing the rear wheel to go one way while we went the other it happened in front of a auto store with a tire shop so we were able to get fixed up quickly and lucky the tire did not hit anything .
That's why I wouldn't try flat towing a vehicle. I think a 3800 would fit OK on a U-haul car trailer. Seems like my 3100 had plenty of room at the rear of the trailer.
Posted By: Phak1 Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Tue Feb 16 2021 01:17 PM
I agree with Kevin (klhansen). My 3100 had plenty of room so the 3800 should fit fine. I wouldn’t take a chance towing any old truck on its own wheels more than a few miles unless I knew its history. Chances you won’t get as lucky as Kevinski.
Posted By: KEVINSKI Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Tue Feb 16 2021 02:44 PM
Yes I was lucky but I did go that far prepared ,the place I purchased the truck from I had family close by and in between even if the truck was on a trailer stuff happens.

Attached picture D9954038-1A6F-41A3-AA6E-AFEA41CB5547.jpeg
Posted By: fixite7 Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Tue Feb 16 2021 03:35 PM
New Ton Have had some experiance towing straight axle trucks,they sometimes want to get-up on the curb ! If you have a bigger tow vehicle and the towed front end is free to turn With a good quality tow-bar Ithink you could do it. Just have to hitch-up and see how it acts.
Posted By: New_Ton Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Sun May 30 2021 09:27 AM
An update:

One of my really good friends just rebuilt an old farm trailer in Virginia and needed to take it down to Florida. It was serendipitous and he offered to trailer my truck back down too.

Flew up to Virginia from Pensacola Thursday and had her loaded on the trailer that night.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/ao9pVMCnRMW8Y07AWd0O9g.LJCIKVAiHP29KSh2PE0opz

Left Friday (yes I know, we were crazy leaving on Memorial Day weekend and from Hampton Roads to boot) and 17 hours later the truck was down in Florida near her new home.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/_-pRY3fHTqSwfFvRz7piKQ.SZ3z2fBE7xgduQBLxWKGNy

We avoided most of the crazy traffic on the way down. It was nice catching up with an old friend.

Only semi-sacrilegious thing was the fact a Ford was towing a Chevy.... lol

More to follow on the restoration. Plan to begin in earnest in August.
Posted By: Hotrod Lincoln Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Sun May 30 2021 03:00 PM
My experience has been that you usually need two Ford pickups to haul enough parts to keep one Chevy running. I'm not sure if that's a commentary on the reliability of the Chevy- - - - -or the cargo capacity of the Fords!
smile
Jerry
Posted By: Phak1 Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Sun May 30 2021 03:02 PM
Nothing like poking a hornets nest. LOL!
Posted By: Hotrod Lincoln Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Sun May 30 2021 03:50 PM
When supposedly grown men are capable of getting passionate about rusty relics half a century old, it's not difficult to get the hornets buzzing!
smile
Jerry
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Sun May 30 2021 05:20 PM
I have hauled many old 2 ton GM trucks with my old Power Stroke.

Don
Posted By: fixite7 Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Mon May 31 2021 12:24 PM
New Ton Make you a tow bar and teach it to follow you !!
Posted By: Phak1 Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Mon May 31 2021 12:50 PM
I got my ‘52 1/2 ton (950 miles) to her new home in NY, behind a F150.
Posted By: John Milliman Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Mon May 31 2021 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by 2-Ton
I have hauled many old 2 ton GM trucks with my old Power Stroke.

Don

Hmmmmm .... Wasn't that engine (7.3) actually designed, developed and manufactured by International *for* Ford ... ???

Jus axin the questions needin' to be axed ...

nanner
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: Towing a '54 3800 to her new home - Mon May 31 2021 01:52 PM
John, you had one and should know the answer.
Bet you wish you had one in the Quigley Ford!

Don

Attached picture IMG_2705.JPG
© The Stovebolt Forums