Stovebolt.com
Posted By: Dually54 Power steering - Sat Sep 05 2020 04:27 PM
Has anyone changed to power steering on their 1954 3800 1 ton?

Thanks for any help
Posted By: John Milliman Re: Power steering - Tue Sep 08 2020 12:19 PM
Sorry about the late response .... could be that all the gang were out over the weekend ... smile Anyway, I have not. But I always ask the question: Why do you want to?

If you want to do it because you want to do it, or you have a medical/physical reason ... then by all means. But if you think you need to do it to get "better" steering .... In my own limited experience on three restorations, I have found that rebuilding the steering box, replacing the tie rod ends and king pins, and getting everything in adjustment (all things you'd want to do anyway) provides steering *almost* as easy and comfortable as power steering at a fraction of the effort, expense and fabrication. In my current truck (1949 3804), I routinely drive 60-65 mph with original steering (adjusted, naturally). I even run bias ply tires. Steering is solid. Even at a crawl in the parking lot, it isn't too bad. Not one finger, but certainly one hand.

But like I said, if you *want* to do it, then have at it. But you don't *have* to do it for better steering -- just rebuilding and adjusting what you already have will get you 85 to 90 percent of what power steering would do for you.

Food for thought.

John
Posted By: Fox Re: Power steering - Wed Sep 09 2020 05:34 AM
I second John. I run radials on my 51 GMC one ton and have a similar steering feel. However, on very grippy pavement at a stop is another sorry. Once inching along, it eases up a lot.
Posted By: John L. Re: Power steering - Wed Sep 09 2020 04:34 PM
I'm running 19.5 radials on my 51 chevy 1 ton with stock steering and it drives like a dream, If anything it may steer a little to easy. It took some getting use to when I first put them on.
Posted By: WE b OLD Re: Power steering - Mon Sep 14 2020 05:18 PM
Something to consider. [cmwtrucks.com]
Posted By: 1Ton_tommy Re: Power steering - Tue Sep 22 2020 05:12 AM
I have thought about adding PS to my '51 from time to time but where to put the PS pump has stymied me. I used the original generator mount for an A/C compressor and above that is the alternator. On the passenger side of the engine there just isn't anything to bolt a PS pump on to. No head bolts show outside the valve cover, no motor mount bosses on my engine. So I just have to lift weights between trips.
Posted By: Dually54 Re: Power steering - Wed Sep 23 2020 01:46 AM
Thank you guys for the response.
Posted By: baldeagle Re: Power steering - Wed Sep 23 2020 02:02 AM
Originally Posted by 1Ton_tommy
I have thought about adding PS to my '51 from time to time but where to put the PS pump has stymied me. I used the original generator mount for an A/C compressor and above that is the alternator. On the passenger side of the engine there just isn't anything to bolt a PS pump on to. No head bolts show outside the valve cover, no motor mount bosses on my engine. So I just have to lift weights between trips.

I investigated this at one time. There's a way to get electric-assisted power steering, which eliminates the need for a power steering pump and all the associated problems with hydraulics and hydraulic oil. You'll have to research what's best/easiest for you to implement.

Electric Power Steering [ebay.com]https://www.ebay.com/motors/blog/convert-your-classic-to-electric-power-assist-steering/
© The Stovebolt Forums