Stovebolt.com
Posted By: 3800GUY 1950 Front Leaf Springs - Thu Apr 02 2020 07:31 PM
Looking for new front springs for my 1950 1 ton. Called a few places and they all seem to have no problem coming up with 1/2 ton & 3/4 ton springs, but not the 1 ton. Just wondering if anyone has an idea where to go for these. I live in Minneapolis so a place close to home would be nice, but I will go where I can find them. New U-bolts would also be needed i'm sure. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Tom
Posted By: 2ManyTrucks Re: 1950 Front Leaf Springs - Thu Apr 02 2020 07:45 PM
A spring shop will make a new leaf or the whole stack from scratch
A place just 40 min from me said they prefer to work from a pattern seeing the original one to get the knuckles just right but could also work with just a description and measurements.
This same place informed me that the front springs for the 1 ton are no longer a stocked/order-able part in North America
I suspect pretty much all shops have the same few suppliers and if their catalogs don’t list it anymore it can’t be ordered
So our only choices are, get one made, find one in a junk yard, hack a home made solution from some other spring that is close enough to work... but I don’t know about that last one as I’ve never found a suitable replacement.

If anyone has more insight for this spring please let us know
Because I’m gonna need a couple more soon as well.
But I’m happy getting new ones made because the price I was quoted seemed reasonable.
Thanks
-Stan
Posted By: 3800GUY Re: 1950 Front Leaf Springs - Thu Apr 02 2020 08:39 PM
Thanks Stan, i will star looking for a shop somewhere that may be able to make them. I did see Eaton Detroit Spring shows on the website they can make them. Has anyone purchased from them in the past and are their products good? Their description however for the right year and model list 9 leaves in the spring pack, my truck only has 7 leaves in the front springs. Too bad these are no longer available from most places now that I need them. The hunt will continue. Tom
Posted By: Frank50 Re: 1950 Front Leaf Springs - Thu Apr 02 2020 08:48 PM
The 1/2-ton and 3/4-ton front springs are the same, and yes they are available nearly everywhere. I agree with the others that you should be able to have them custom made. As far as I know Eaton Detroit has a good reputation. But there might be a local shop, probably in Minneapolis that does that.
Posted By: 2ManyTrucks Re: 1950 Front Leaf Springs - Thu Apr 02 2020 10:54 PM
You could probably use the narrower 1/2 or 3/4 ton front springs with spacers on the 1 ton
If you don’t intend on using it to the full weight capacity
It should work right?
The front end of the 3/4 ton is likely the same weight as a 1 ton, everything is the same above the axle pretty much.
-s
Posted By: Elderly Iron Re: 1950 Front Leaf Springs - Fri Apr 03 2020 02:39 AM
St Louis Spring. www.stlouisspring.com [stlouisspring.com] They blow Eaton Detroit away on pricing and they're US made with Canadian steel. They can make anything you want.
Posted By: tclederman Re: 1950 Front Leaf Springs - Fri Apr 03 2020 02:46 AM
I prefer Eaton Detroit Springs for spring sets, and I once used ESPO Springs & Things for shackle assemblies - a third good company to consider/compare.
Posted By: Fox Re: 1950 Front Leaf Springs - Fri Apr 03 2020 05:16 AM
I used City Spring in Edmonton. I got a copy of the original spec sheets for my 1 tons front springs and they whipped me up a set in a couple days. I think the closest one to you, though, would be in Regina, Saskatchewan. Might be cheaper than US made? Our dollar is pretty low right now vs US dollar. $1 vs $1.35 ish.
Posted By: Johnny Rib Re: 1950 Front Leaf Springs - Fri Apr 03 2020 01:13 PM
I also used St. Louis Spring company for new springs on my 1950 3800. They made them in 24 hours, and luckily, I live 2 hours away and was able to pick them up the next day. I also got a tour of their shop - super nice folks. They supply Jim Carter's as well. Highly recommend them!
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: 1950 Front Leaf Springs - Fri Apr 03 2020 01:45 PM
I have also heard many good things about St. Louis Spring.
Been open since 1945.
But they are located in the more, let's say, questionable area of St. Louis?
So you have to call before you go to pick up during the daytime.

Don
Posted By: Frank50 Re: 1950 Front Leaf Springs - Fri Apr 03 2020 05:00 PM
The 3800 springs are wider and longer than 3100 & 3600 springs...
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1948_51truck/51ctsm0202.htm
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1948_51truck/51ctsm0316.htm
I should have mentioned St. Louis Spring, but I forgot. I got a good quote from them for new front springs for my 3600 years ago. And they have a good rep.
Posted By: 3800GUY Re: 1950 Front Leaf Springs - Fri Apr 03 2020 09:58 PM
Thank you to everyone for all the quick responses, I will get this project going soon, winter is gone from the Twin Cities ( I hope) so it's truck driving time. Also have new shocks waiting to be installed. i will check with all places listed above, see where my best deal is. If anyone can think of anything else that may be beneficial to this project, please join in. Thanks again, Tom
Posted By: 1Ton_tommy Re: 1950 Front Leaf Springs - Sun Apr 05 2020 05:25 PM
Has anyone tried having existing springs re-arched? If the leaves aren't too worn I would hope that could work.
Posted By: Frank50 Re: 1950 Front Leaf Springs - Tue Apr 07 2020 07:17 PM
I have no personal experience, but I know it has been done, and there are shops that can/will do it. I have read similar discussions on the HAMB and other boards.
The shop may prefer to sell you new springs instead of re-arching yours. And that might be the more economical choice.
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: 1950 Front Leaf Springs - Wed Apr 08 2020 04:37 PM
I've heard it said, but no documentation, that re-arched springs to not hold up well for long period of time..... but of course companys want to sell you shelf of regular production stuff........just saying.
Posted By: klhansen Re: 1950 Front Leaf Springs - Wed Apr 08 2020 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Achipmunk
I've heard it said, but no documentation, that re-arched springs to not hold up well for long period of time..... but of course companys want to sell you shelf of regular production stuff........just saying.
No reason why re-arched springs would perform any differently than original. The metallurgy isn't changed. They did get into the yield range when re-arched, but not enough to affect the fatigue life of the base metal. If they were re-arched multiple times (like 100), then it might be a different story. That statement is a marketing ploy, IMO.
Posted By: 3800GUY Re: 1950 Front Leaf Springs - Fri Apr 10 2020 09:58 PM
I ended up ordering new springs from St. Louis Spring. I ordered them this past Monday, got a call from them on Wednesday saying they were ready to ship, they arrived just an hour or so at my house. Look great, the guys I talked with were very helpful in determining the exact spring for the vehicle. Came with new bushings in the spring eye's, all nicely painted, cant wait to get them in the truck. Maybe I did too much worrying about where to get new springs when I started this post just 8 days ago, but just like that I have new front springs for my 1950 1 ton. Thanks to all of you for your advice and recommendations. Everyone have a safe and healthy weekend. Tom
Posted By: Fox Re: 1950 Front Leaf Springs - Sat Apr 11 2020 04:25 AM
Excellent! It feels great, doesn’t it? I love bolting on new parts. That’s a LOT of fun.
Posted By: 9% grade Re: 1950 Front Leaf Springs - Tue Jun 16 2020 03:52 AM
Thats the way i do it (new springs)! Cost is about the same figureing time, even if i do it my self!
Posted By: Buckkoo Re: 1950 Front Leaf Springs - Wed Jun 17 2020 09:20 PM
I used St Louis Spring for my 50 and they're the best. The shipped to NC and answered my questions a year later.
Posted By: HandyAndy Re: 1950 Front Leaf Springs - Thu Jun 18 2020 01:22 AM
This good news!

Yesterday, I ordered front and rear springs for the '47 from the St. Louis Spring Company. The owners are very knowledgeable, very happy to answer questions and make recommendations. thumbs_up
Posted By: Buckkoo Re: 1950 Front Leaf Springs - Thu Jun 18 2020 01:23 PM
I'd consider replacing the Shackle bushings as well. RockAuto has them, I put the bushings in the freezer overnight and the cleaned up shackle in the oven at 350 for 30m. The bushings slipped in with minimal encouragement.
Posted By: GCS1949 Re: 1950 Front Leaf Springs - Sun Jun 21 2020 12:15 PM
Did you have trouble removing shackle bushings? I have already replaced rear shackle bushings but seems the front ones are being more difficult. Any suggestions?
Posted By: HandyAndy Re: 1950 Front Leaf Springs - Mon Jun 22 2020 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by GCS1949
Did you have trouble removing shackle bushings? I have already replaced rear shackle bushings but seems the front ones are being more difficult. Any suggestions?
What truck are you working on? I've used the method recommended by Pre '68 Dave and it's never failed me. CLICK: Spring Shackle Bushing Replacement [chev235guy.blogspot.com]
Posted By: Phak1 Re: 1950 Front Leaf Springs - Mon Jun 22 2020 11:52 AM
I used Pre ‘68 Dave’s method on my spring bushings and it worked perfectly.
Posted By: Buckkoo Re: 1950 Front Leaf Springs - Tue Jun 23 2020 02:52 PM
Replacing the leaf spring and shackle bushings on my 1T was a real PIA. Its not so much getting the bushing out of the shackle, but more getting the 7/8" stainless pin out from where it has resided for 70 years. Once out, I used a hack saw blade to cut the bushing in half. Dave's method should work as well.
© The Stovebolt Forums