Stovebolt.com
Posted By: Whitedog Wheel seal for roller bearings - Fri Feb 17 2012 12:22 AM
Well, I got my inner rollers for my 3/4 ton today. I waited on getting a seal, so I could match them to the bearing. (Timken lists 2 different seals anyway, depending on the bearing you use.)

Does the seal ride on the spindle or the bearing spacer?

Anyone have a part number?

Posted By: 3B Re: Wheel seal for roller bearings - Fri Feb 17 2012 01:31 AM
Hy Whitedog, could you tell us what year 3/4 ton you're asking about, and seeing as how you wonder if the seal rides on the bearing maybe the bearing number as well.
Posted By: 641Workmaster Re: Wheel seal for roller bearings - Fri Feb 17 2012 04:54 AM
His pictures are of a 1954.
Posted By: Whitedog Re: Wheel seal for roller bearings - Sat Feb 18 2012 05:39 AM
My original concern was with the thickness of the seal and the new bearing. Upon inspection it doesn't really seem to be a problem. I actually have a new problem though. The old felt seal, absolutely won't fit over the new bearing. The inner sleeve has a slighty larger outer diameter than the old one.

Timken has 2 listings for use with a B46 style bearing; #40973s with an i.d. of 2.093 and a #5756 with an i.d. of 2.062.

I'm going to have to research it more, but I believe I'm going to have to find a seal with a rubber inner lip and not a felt type seal.
Posted By: OlBlue Re: Wheel seal for roller bearings - Thu Mar 29 2012 03:35 PM
Whitedog,

I have 2 sets of the 1-ton roller bearings, one for each of the two projects I have going.

I, like you, found that the o.d. of the inner race is larger than the original bearings. In addition, the set of bearings I purchased within the last year, don't even have a machined surface on the o.d. of the race. The set purchased about 4 years ago do have the machined surface.

I've measured everything and came up with the following results.

Ball (original) bearing -> race o.d. 2.093 (ground finish)
Roller bearing set # 1 -> race o.d. 2.153 (ground finish)
Roller bearing set # 2 -> race o.d. 2.157 (rough surface)

Both of these roller bearing sets are manufactured by MBS bearing in Japan who seems to have a good reputation. MBS Bearings, Japan I think they are the only ones producing these bearings.

I found a table of seal clearance guidelines and for anything under a 4" shaft, the clearance was +/- .030". There is clearly a problem with the o.d. of the bearing race.

The bearings with the rough surface are simply unusable. Seal manufacturers are very clear on what is a smooth enough surface. i.e. smooth with no tool marks

I may be able to find a seal with a 2-1/8 (2.125) shaft diameter specification that would work for the bearings with the finished o.d. surface.
Posted By: Whitedog Re: Wheel seal for roller bearings - Thu Mar 29 2012 04:55 PM
How ironic this is. I have my inner bearing and vernier caliper in front of me as we speak. I was literally scouring through the Timken catalogs. I just came up with seal # 476535.

2.125 shaft
3.154 OD
.375 Width

Rock Auto has them for $10.63

I already have the 40973s seal, it seems like it'll work. If not I'll get the other.

I also came up with a Timken brand bearing that may be interchangable. It'll require a 9/32 thrust bushing behind it though. Right now it looks to be about 1/2 the price as the MBS. I'll have to see what the bushing will cost though. It may not be economical.

Chris
Posted By: OlBlue Re: Wheel seal for roller bearings - Thu Mar 29 2012 05:50 PM
Following your lead I found another couple that may work in the Timken catalog.

55X80X8 & 55X80X8V

Different seal material & slightly different seal design between the two.

Maybe not so far up the creek after all.

John
Posted By: Whitedog Re: Wheel seal for roller bearings - Thu Mar 29 2012 07:08 PM
That Timken site is awesome! There's literally everything you need there to cross over a bearing.

For a tapered outer wheel bearing I have a 1280/1220 combo. The dimensions are identical the b45 outer ball bearing.

For the inner b46 I get:

27880/27820 and 27881/27820 combo. Like I said before, all you need is a 9/32" thick 2" ODx 1.5 ID thrust bushing to make them work.

These bearings are already in production too. The 27880 was used on 46-52 Fords and 87-91 Ferrari's. The 277881 was used by IH from 55-72.

It's too bad I already bought the MBS.

Chris
Posted By: 513600 Re: Wheel seal for roller bearings - Sat Mar 31 2012 04:07 AM
You can let the seal ride on the thrust bushing, that's how it's done on MGBs the inner and outer timkin with a bushing is how they do it.
The seal runs on the spacer
Seems like you guys have done the leg work for me
© The Stovebolt Forums