Stovebolt.com
Posted By: WarEagle1 1965 C10 dash removal - Wed Dec 29 2021 10:34 PM
I've unbolted 3 bolts on each side of the dash and one on each side of the steering column (8 total). It appears that there are spot welds on the top of the dash. I am not able to see them. Is that the case and how do you get at them?

Thanks
Posted By: Pat66 Re: 1965 C10 dash removal - Thu Dec 30 2021 12:01 AM
Remove the windshield, the dash is half of the windshield pinchweld. Pat
Posted By: SNOYL Re: 1965 C10 dash removal - Thu Dec 30 2021 12:35 AM
Ouch, unless absolutely necessary I would leave alone.
Posted By: WarEagle1 Re: 1965 C10 dash removal - Thu Dec 30 2021 12:57 AM
10-4. So it is a pinchweld - no spot welds? All to do is remove the windshield? Windshield has to be replaced anyway
Posted By: Fox Re: 1965 C10 dash removal - Thu Dec 30 2021 05:11 AM
Why are you wanting to remove the dash? It is a PILE of work! I wouldn’t if I were me.
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: 1965 C10 dash removal - Thu Dec 30 2021 11:22 AM
I saved the dash out of a 1961 C10. There are A LOT of spot welds (pinch welds). Here’s the video. https://youtu.be/QOEjSCc6gOY
Posted By: WarEagle1 Re: 1965 C10 dash removal - Fri Dec 31 2021 12:17 AM
Yikes, I see what you mean. Don't think I will be removing it. But I thought I had to for interior painting?
Posted By: Fox Re: 1965 C10 dash removal - Sat Jan 01 2022 04:01 PM
No, you don’t need to. Painter’s tape and paper to mask it off. Be thorough so you don’t get overspray where you don’t want it.
Posted By: WarEagle1 Re: 1965 C10 dash removal - Sun Jan 02 2022 03:32 PM
Thanks for the replies
Posted By: DoubleDingo Re: 1965 C10 dash removal - Thu Jan 06 2022 07:29 PM
I will be doing this with my 65 C20. I know there has to be some rust from a leaky gasket, and the original owner made the dash look like swiss cheese with all of the screw holes to mount who knows what. I have a 65 AC dash sitting in the backyard that needs to be removed from the portion of cab it's attached to. Removing that dash will be my practice for removing the other swiss cheese dash. Not looking forward to it, as I have read and watched videos of dash removal, but in the spirit of having more access and repairing rust and replacing items under the dash like a two-speed wiper motor, and also the windshield, it will be worth it.
Posted By: SNOYL Re: 1965 C10 dash removal - Fri Jan 07 2022 12:27 AM
To each his own. I wish you all the best on your project. It is what makes us all different.
Posted By: klhansen Re: 1965 C10 dash removal - Fri Jan 07 2022 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by DoubleDingo
I will be doing this with my 65 C20. I know there has to be some rust from a leaky gasket, and the original owner made the dash look like swiss cheese with all of the screw holes to mount who knows what. I have a 65 AC dash sitting in the backyard that needs to be removed from the portion of cab it's attached to. Removing that dash will be my practice for removing the other swiss cheese dash. Not looking forward to it, as I have read and watched videos of dash removal, but in the spirit of having more access and repairing rust and replacing items under the dash like a two-speed wiper motor, and also the windshield, it will be worth it.
Unless there's some serious rust holes, I wouldn't remove the whole thing. Drilled holes can easily be welded up and dressed smooth prior to painting.
I don't think R&R of a dash would be easier than just working underneath it on things like a wiper motor. This is coming from someone who did quite a bit of sheet metal replacement.
But do what you must. wink
Posted By: WarEagle1 Re: 1965 C10 dash removal - Fri Jan 07 2022 06:26 PM
Thanks to the guys that have replied I have decided not to remove my dash. (As I have said before I probably wouldn't attempt a full resto. without this valuable resource).

But I was looking forward to being able to easily get at the rust on the back side of the dash. It is not too bad but I want to address it. Now I guess I'll be standing on my head to sand and prime whatever I can get at.
Posted By: DoubleDingo Re: 1965 C10 dash removal - Tue Jan 25 2022 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by klhansen
Unless there's some serious rust holes, I wouldn't remove the whole thing. Drilled holes can easily be welded up and dressed smooth prior to painting.
I don't think R&R of a dash would be easier than just working underneath it on things like a wiper motor. This is coming from someone who did quite a bit of sheet metal replacement.
But do what you must. wink

I appreciate the heads-up, it is not a portion of the project I am extremely fond of doing.
© The Stovebolt Forums