Stovebolt.com
Posted By: HFfarms 63-66 Door Locks - Wed Dec 09 2020 03:07 PM
Fellow Bolters;

What is your experience with the 63-66 body style door locks? From what I understand, there is the inside lock (push the handle into the down position) and then the external lock (on the door handle button that uses the key). Each one is separate such that if you lock the inside door lock and then close the door, the door is locked for good unless opened again from the inside.

Is there a method to just override the inside door lock so that it cannot be used at all? The driver side latch of my '64 is so worn out that the door locks itself from the inside every time you close it. The handle literally falls into the lock position even when gently released. My passenger side still has the "click" that requires the lever to be pushed down to the lock position, but, if you pull up to open the door, and then release it from its upper position, the return spring slams it back down and all the way into the lock position.

After being locked out of my truck again yesterday I am about fed up with the locks and don't even view them as remotely necessary. Its a 2 ton farm truck, anyone who wants to try to steal it wont even know how to drive it.

Additionally, and maybe not appropriate to answer via public forum, but any tips on getting inside if locked out? Both times I have been lucky and my passenger window was cracked. Had it not been, I have zero clue how I would have gotten in. The roof overlap and solid steel doors mean my typical protocols I use on the newer trucks don't work. I am happy to have any discussion on this via PM for obvious reasons.

Appreciate any insight you may have to the door locks. It could be that mine are simply all messed up.
Posted By: panel fan Re: 63-66 Door Locks - Wed Dec 09 2020 03:35 PM
Other than replacing parts you can leave your vent window unlatched . then you can reach inside and open the door .

John
Posted By: HFfarms Re: 63-66 Door Locks - Thu Dec 10 2020 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by panel fan
Other than replacing parts you can leave your vent window unlatched . then you can reach inside and open the door .

John

The vent window idea had crossed my mind. Without a doubt the driver side parts need replaced, and will be. The idea of the truck being locked from the inside and then unable to be opened except from the inside again is worrisome to me. Murphy's law. When the kids are over at the farm, playing in the barns, and inadvertently lock the doors (hypothetical) then the issue manifests itself again.

My research has shown that the older models only had a single external key lock on the passenger side. You would lock the driver door from the inside, slide out the passenger side, and then lock the door with the key. Passenger side had an inside handle that wouldn't lock. Looks like in '63 they went to both doors having both lock styles. I am simply wondering if there is a way to do away with the inside handle lock and only have the key lock on the exterior.

This is of course assuming that my doors aren't both broken and the key lock should operate the same lock as the handle lock like any modern vehicle.....
Posted By: RustYardDog Re: 63-66 Door Locks - Thu Dec 10 2020 03:54 PM
Hi,
I have a 63 c10. I know what you mean. It's actually a pretty good theft deterrent.

However, i understand your worry. I have no lock holes on the outside of the passenger door either (only locks from the inside.) The driver door you can shut and lock with a key on the outside.
You can do a couple things:
1. You can always carry your keys and lock the drivers door from the outside and lock the inside of the passenger door (first)
2. You can remove the inner door mechanism where the lock handle is and weld a piece over the hole and leave the latch part on the passenger door for the outside part. This way you can still open/close that door from the outside only.
3. Same thing, but instead of removing it, cut off the part and make sure it's on the "open" position before you cut off the inside handle part.
4.a You can just remove the rod and keep the look of original and this way the outside latch only works and you'll have to open the window to let yourself out from the inside.
4.b Ask "MagGyver" for some insight....

Good luck.
Posted By: TerenceandMary Re: 63-66 Door Locks - Thu Dec 10 2020 08:09 PM
I have a 62' and also have the same door handles. (now wondering if my handles are year appropriate)
I have key holes on both passenger and drivers side. The passengers side is an upside down drivers with the same lock set.
My passenger side door used to lock itself when I slammed the door. I turned the interior handle to be straight up and down with the handle in the down position and that seemed to help.
I always leave one of the wing windows unlatched but closed so if I am locked out I can push it open to unlock the door.
Posted By: RustYardDog Re: 63-66 Door Locks - Fri Dec 11 2020 02:30 PM
Also sounds like the mechanism might be potentially worn out or broken. I had replaced mine, but still have the originals, but the spring on one side broke. The inside door handles should remain in place when closing and opening. Sounds like the gears are worn or make sure the screws are tight on the door crank on the inside. Otherwise, the move too much.
Posted By: 62Stick Re: 63-66 Door Locks - Wed Dec 30 2020 09:07 PM
I had a '63 C10 and I still have a '62 C10. I have always had the handles oriented in the "downward" direction. Gravity keeps them from locking or unlocking. Push forward locks, pull back unlocks/opens door.
Only suggestion I could make for a temporary fix would be to try that on your truck. Let it be a gravity assist to keep it unlocked. At least until you can rebuild the mechanism with new parts.
Posted By: HFfarms Re: 63-66 Door Locks - Fri Jan 01 2021 11:24 PM
Thanks all. Ive got new mechanisms on order now, but that only solves the auto locking driver door. My primary worry is the whole accidental locking of the door handle and shutting the door and then not being able to get back in. Seems like a half thought out design

I heeded the advice of others above and leave the vent windows unlocked now. I has avoided the lockout twice. Its always the passengers that ride with me. Lift up the passenger door handle to unlatch the door, release it from the top or accidentally bump it down while climbing out (its a big bolt that sits up high), and then shut the door which is now permanently latched from the inside. It is an annoyance I suppose I can just get used to, but as an engineer it just seems poorly designed.

Ill rip apart the doors again and tinker to see if I can just override/disable the handle lock altogether. There are key locks on both exterior handles if I truly need to ever lock the truck, and that's key operated and pretty idiot proof.
Posted By: Tommy Re: 63-66 Door Locks - Sat Jan 02 2021 01:27 PM
Just an observation from a simple mind. Why not put another key under the hood somewhere ( in the air cleaner?) . So if you do get locked out you can always open the hood and get the extra key to open the door.
Posted By: HFfarms Re: 63-66 Door Locks - Sat Jan 02 2021 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by Tommy
Just an observation from a simple mind. Why not put another key under the hood somewhere ( in the air cleaner?) . So if you do get locked out you can always open the hood and get the extra key to open the door.

So the problem is that once locked from the inside, you cannot unlock either door from the outside. The outer handle key lock is a separate mechanism from the inner door handle push down lock. When the inner handle is locked, the only way to unlock it is to physically pull up on the handle from the inside. That's the issue at play here.
Posted By: triplep Re: 63-66 Door Locks - Tue Mar 16 2021 03:44 AM
Several NOS latches on ebay. Will solve your problem for 40 years . After that buy another Nos and you will be good for about 80 years.
Posted By: Steve ‘62 Re: 63-66 Door Locks - Wed Mar 17 2021 07:43 PM
I am currently attempting to install electric door locks on my 62’. It is a challenge no doubt. When I find the solution I will share it as it will help with your issue also. In the meantime you can remove a small tab on metal that keeps the door strike from opening your door and that will bypass the ability to look from the inside handle. I will share a picture of the tab later
Posted By: Steve ‘62 Re: 63-66 Door Locks - Thu Mar 18 2021 04:52 PM
Here are the two pictures showing the locked and unlocked position.

Description: Locked position
Attached picture CA244655-7014-4D88-AC08-CD218D39DDEC.jpeg

Description: Unlocked position
Attached picture E6799E16-48AE-4626-96E8-BB95AEDFA566.jpeg
Posted By: HFfarms Re: 63-66 Door Locks - Tue Mar 23 2021 07:49 PM
AWSOME! Thank you Steve '62!

This is the exact feedback I have been looking for. Granted I need to go out and tear the door apart again to inspect and troubleshoot it myself, I just haven't had the time as the truck has been busy for weeks on end now. But regardless, when I take it apart ill reference the above.

Since there still seems to be some confusion, this is not a discussion on a worn out door hardware problem, its specifically for disengaging the inside handle door lock which is a totally separate locking door mechanism from the outer key lock and very easily leads to locked-out situations.
Posted By: DoubleDingo Re: 63-66 Door Locks - Mon Apr 19 2021 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by HFfarms
Fellow Bolters;

What is your experience with the 63-66 body style door locks? From what I understand, there is the inside lock (push the handle into the down position) and then the external lock (on the door handle button that uses the key). Each one is separate such that if you lock the inside door lock and then close the door, the door is locked for good unless opened again from the inside.

Is there a method to just override the inside door lock so that it cannot be used at all? The driver side latch of my '64 is so worn out that the door locks itself from the inside every time you close it. The handle literally falls into the lock position even when gently released. My passenger side still has the "click" that requires the lever to be pushed down to the lock position, but, if you pull up to open the door, and then release it from its upper position, the return spring slams it back down and all the way into the lock position.

After being locked out of my truck again yesterday I am about fed up with the locks and don't even view them as remotely necessary. Its a 2 ton farm truck, anyone who wants to try to steal it wont even know how to drive it.

Additionally, and maybe not appropriate to answer via public forum, but any tips on getting inside if locked out? Both times I have been lucky and my passenger window was cracked. Had it not been, I have zero clue how I would have gotten in. The roof overlap and solid steel doors mean my typical protocols I use on the newer trucks don't work. I am happy to have any discussion on this via PM for obvious reasons.

Appreciate any insight you may have to the door locks. It could be that mine are simply all messed up.

In my experience, if you lock the door using the inside handle, when you close the door it unlocks. All of my '65s have been like that.
Posted By: DoubleDingo Re: 63-66 Door Locks - Thu Apr 29 2021 11:43 PM
A follow-up on my last reply. I tried this the other night when I got home. I was curious to see if maybe I was imagining the inside handle unlocking when closed in the lock position. Nope, it's true, it unlocks when the door is closed. I wonder if you guys that have it stay locked, if the mechanisms are worn out?
Posted By: Xena Re: 63-66 Door Locks - Mon May 03 2021 02:53 PM
After reading this post, I had to go out and did confirm what i thought to be true, which is that the doors on my '66 do in fact unlock when the doors are closed as well.
Posted By: glenns towing Re: 63-66 Door Locks - Tue May 04 2021 12:27 PM
I couldnt lock myself out of my 66 if i tried, and i dont even have a door key. Lol. When either door is locked then shut, they unlock. What i do reach over lock the pass door, get out d/s with the window up, reach in the vent window, push handle down the lock driver door. Close vent window. Yea the vent window is not locked, but i dont think many around here know how to gain access through a vent window, let alone drive it. Maybe 1 day, ill get a lock and key for it ohwell
Posted By: DoubleDingo Re: 63-66 Door Locks - Thu May 06 2021 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by glenns towing
I couldnt lock myself out of my 66 if i tried, and i dont even have a door key. Lol. When either door is locked then shut, they unlock. What i do reach over lock the pass door, get out d/s with the window up, reach in the vent window, push handle down the lock driver door. Close vent window. Yea the vent window is not locked, but i dont think many around here know how to gain access through a vent window, let alone drive it. Maybe 1 day, ill get a lock and key for it ohwell

Back when I was a much younger version of myself, my '65 lacked the knob on the driver's side wind-wing. So I had no choice but to lock the door by reaching in through the wind-wing. I eventually found a replacement knob. Years later I was driving down the highway and heard a clunk on the outside of the door. I had the window down and wind-wing open, and saw the knob had landed perfectly against the door and the mirror bracket. Dumb luck! I carefully reached out while maintaining my bearing and speed, and was able grab the knob and bring it inside the cab before it vibrated off its perch and was forever ruined by the pavement. That darned roll pin had slipped out and I didn't even notice until the knob came off.
Posted By: glenns towing Re: 63-66 Door Locks - Fri May 07 2021 12:59 PM
Sounds like all da stars were lined up for ya there. Nice save.
Posted By: HFfarms Re: 63-66 Door Locks - Mon May 10 2021 02:15 PM
Hmmmmm, very interesting updates, thank you everyone that has responded. I have written off my drive door mechanism as goofed beyond all recognition; Had to reweld it in 3 places alone when I got the truck just to make the door halfway work, so it not functioning right is the norm. The passenger door in comparison is heavenly. Tight, no rattle, shuts easy, latches tightly, etc, but it does not unlock the inside lock when the door is closed as is reported above.

This makes me wonder if the passenger side is also goofed (should it do as everyone's above) or, the original commercial company that owned it modified it somehow. Any aftermarket should do as is said above, so I need to just sack up and get the parts, but other farm expenditures have taken precedence thus far.
Posted By: DoubleDingo Re: 63-66 Door Locks - Mon May 10 2021 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by HFfarms
Hmmmmm, very interesting updates, thank you everyone that has responded. I have written off my drive door mechanism as goofed beyond all recognition; Had to reweld it in 3 places alone when I got the truck just to make the door halfway work, so it not functioning right is the norm. The passenger door in comparison is heavenly. Tight, no rattle, shuts easy, latches tightly, etc, but it does not unlock the inside lock when the door is closed as is reported above.

This makes me wonder if the passenger side is also goofed (should it do as everyone's above) or, the original commercial company that owned it modified it somehow. Any aftermarket should do as is said above, so I need to just sack up and get the parts, but other farm expenditures have taken precedence thus far.

Maybe a spring is missing on the passenger side? Not sure. New door internals should help tremendously, but will have to wait, of course.
© The Stovebolt Forums