Stovebolt.com
Posted By: Fort Knox 1961 Radiator - Wed May 02 2018 09:06 PM
Hey all, I have been a member here for a while now, but life has been keeping old 'Gertrude' in the barn.

Gertrude is a 1961 C10 (no apache badging) and a former farm truck. She has the 235 and a 4 speed with no options and a radio delete.

Anyhow, I want to drive her to couple local events and take the kiddo for a cruise now and then. My radiator is toast and I need a new one or to rebuild mine.

There is a shop in Missoula, MT that can fix mine but it is far away and likely to be spendy. Anyone have a reasonably priced one they want to sell?

She needs a lot of other tuning from sitting, but I really need a radiator more than anything.

Thanks!

Kyle
Posted By: Hambone Re: 1961 Radiator - Wed May 02 2018 09:47 PM
Repair of your existing radiator will likely out price purchase of a new radiator from any one of our vendors if you dont need an original. Buying and shipping a used radiator likely puts you in the same place ( $ wise and condition wise).
Posted By: Nomad02 Re: 1961 Radiator - Fri May 04 2018 08:34 PM
There are now modern aluminum radiators available for 60-62. Reason I know is I called one of the companies and they said if they could use my old one as a template, I could have the prototype for free. I can't remember the company anymore but I vectored somebody else to one on eBay for less than $250. Cools way better than stock.

1961 C20
Posted By: Nomad02 Re: 1961 Radiator - Fri May 04 2018 08:36 PM
Champion radiators. 2 row on sale now.

1961 C20
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: 1961 Radiator - Fri May 04 2018 08:44 PM
There are several sellers on evilbay that have aluminum radiators. They all have charts for you to pick out your year and make/model. Price is frequently under $200. Just go to evilbay motors and use the search function for radiators. Good luck.🛠
Posted By: Fort Knox Re: 1961 Radiator - Mon May 14 2018 10:44 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I would prefer to have a 'factory look' for my radiator, but you do make good points about an aftermarket one.

Nomad - Do you remember the name? Was it BTR? They are one of the only ones I can see that are 'Made in the USA.' I try to avoid putting imported parts on this vehicle, and Gertrude (The 61 in question) is more of a toy / project. I would prefer to get high quality components.

Thank you again!

Kyle
Posted By: 62Stick Re: 1961 Radiator - Thu May 17 2018 06:57 AM
I got an aluminum radiator through Amazon that has the stamped top tank that looks similar to a stock radiator. I had been chasing pin hole leaks in my original radiator ever since I fixed the 1" long crack in the top tank.

I don't remember the manufacturer, but I will look it up. It fit well in my '62 C10. It was $175 plus tax, free shipping. About $187 or so.
Posted By: Fort Knox Re: 1961 Radiator - Thu May 17 2018 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by 62Stick
I got an aluminum radiator through Amazon that has the stamped top tank that looks similar to a stock radiator. I had been chasing pin hole leaks in my original radiator ever since I fixed the 1" long crack in the top tank.

I don't remember the manufacturer, but I will look it up. It fit well in my '62 C10. It was $175 plus tax, free shipping. About $187 or so.

That would be amazing! Thank you!

Kyle
Posted By: 62Stick Re: 1961 Radiator - Fri May 18 2018 06:55 AM
What I found was made by KKS Radiator, model KKS6062.

Here's a link to the one I bought.

KKS6062

It can be purchased with the electric fan and fan shroud, but is more expensive.

edit: I added a photo. It comes in bare aluminum, but with a little black engine paint, it will look good in the engine bay.

Attached picture KKS6062_Radiator.jpg
© The Stovebolt Forums