Stovebolt.com
Posted By: Tim-o 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Sat Oct 29 2016 12:44 PM
I'm contemplating installing an air conditioning kit in my '66 C-10. I began searching for a stock compressor bracket because I heard they were getting difficult to find. The air kit I am considering indicates their source for brackets has gone dry.

I went to a local wrecking yard and they guy there had a set of brackets off what he said was a 1978 Nova 6 cylinder. They even had the Delco 1131076 compressor attached - but were off the car. There are three brackets attached to the compressor - one appears to mount to the vehicle frame and the tension adjuster bracket has two bolts in slots to hold the belt adjustment.

All the 250 air systems that I have seen in pictures show the compressor located high on the passengers side of the engine - right beside the valve cover.

My question is - has anyone seen an air conditioning system on a 250 that was mounted elsewhere? With the brackets he has, I can't imagine how they would be used in the traditional position.
Posted By: joker Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Sat Oct 29 2016 06:06 PM
check out these

nice read from another site
Posted By: Tim-o Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Sat Oct 29 2016 07:38 PM
Thanks for the links. I have seen a portion of the conversation you forwarded - but not the pictures. I have just about made myself nuts trying to figure out the supposed "Nova" brackets. Done lots of head scratchin' and wonderin'. The brackets I have seen made me think that the compressor would end up mounted down low off the block like the alternator is. Can't imagine there is enough room to mount it low. I appreciate your help.
Posted By: Tommy Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Sat Oct 29 2016 08:02 PM
The compressor I assume was a small round compressor? If so it did have some strange mounting brackets. If you are thinking about the old 6 cyl long compressor it did mount differently, They both mounted to the front top of the cylinder head, but with completely different mounts.
Posted By: joker Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Sat Oct 29 2016 08:29 PM
you dont really need air anyway, I drove my 52 ever where over an 8 yr period, Okc in a June summer, to Kc in month of sept, no air or heat or power, just like it was built to be driven..lol... and it gets pretty hot in Tx...good luck with yours
what ever you decide..
Posted By: Tim-o Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Mon Oct 31 2016 01:53 PM
Yes Tommy - the compressor was a small round one - not the long one seen so often. I have yet to see a compressor on a 250 that is mounted anywhere other than on the top of the engine - which makes me think the "Nova" brackets are for a V8.
Posted By: Tommy Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Mon Oct 31 2016 05:54 PM
Tim-o,

Way back in the 60's the compressors were mounted on the head above the distributor, they were the a-6 (long compressor). In the mid 70's gm came out with the radial (short compressor) and they were mounted in the same manner but with different brackets. If I remember correctly, it had 2 bolts on the top for adjustment, a long bracket that went down to the front of the engine,and little foggy on this, but seem to remember the third bracket went back to the motor mount.
The v-8 brackets mount to the (early) exhaust manifold and water pump,(late model) to the front of the heads. Do you have power steering? If not maybe you could look at the a/c mounts that are used on the 235's, The compressor mounts low in place of the alternator and the alternator mounts above it.
Posted By: Tim-o Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Mon Oct 31 2016 09:38 PM
All Hail the King of Stovebolts - King Tommy!!!!

Your memory is only slightly foggy. Once I saw your description of the air compressor as "radial" - and I googled that - I found the link below. And on page 1A-5 - in figure 4 it shows the exact bracket I have been turning every which way for a couple of days. As you can clearly see (and me too) there are two bolt holes in the front of the block that accommodate one mounting bracket - and two bolt holes on the side of the cylinder head for the other bracket. Then - the one you are a little foggy on - is a bolt hole under the fuel pump on the side of the block - instead of on the motor mount.

https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail...ht-truck-service-overhaul-supplement-pdf

I am humbled by your knowledge oh great one. You obviously have forgotten much more than I will ever know!

An Octoberfest toast to you. Long live the King!
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Sat Nov 05 2016 09:03 PM
This topic is of interest to me but currently on the back burner. A year ago I was at a large swap meet and found this large bracket that was labeled as an AC bracket for a 1960's inline 6. The guy took my offer of $20. It was a gamble because I really wasn't sure what such a bracket should look like. He had all his stuff labeled very neatly so I figured he knew what he was selling.
Here's a LINK to some photos. I mocked it up on a 250ci I have in the shop. The bracket fits pretty well but not like a glove. The lower 2 holes near the timing cover do not line up with anything - making me think I don't have all the parts. I may have paid $20 for scrap metal. Anyone think maybe this belongs on a different engine or maybe it was on a larger 1.5 or bigger truck?
Posted By: Tommy Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Sat Nov 05 2016 09:22 PM
Jay,
That bracket you have is for a radial compressor, I have the exact one on my 82 c-10. In your pictures you have a diagram of an old 6 cyl compressor( that is the size of the compressor, not engine). That was used in the 60's, early 70's, till gm came up with the radial compressor to work with the large dist (HEI). I have an old 230 block in the garage, will look tomorrow and see if the front has a different boss on the block for that lower mount. I'm sure someone must make a bracket to put a/c on a straight six.
Posted By: Tommy Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Sat Nov 05 2016 11:47 PM
Jay,
I can't tell from your pictures if there is a boss on the lower front of your block. The block I have in my garage is a 66 230 and it has the boss for that bracket to bolt to, as does the 250 in my 82 C-10. 230/250 use the same block, different crank and pistons.
Could you have a 194 that maybe doesn't have that boss?
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Sun Nov 06 2016 12:15 AM
Tommy,
The bracket in my photobucket link is on a 1972 250ci block. I ran the numbers on the stamp. I have another 250ci next to it in my shop. They look the same. Neither have the boss for the lower 2 bracket holes.

I have a freshly rebuilt 1964 230ci in my 1965 Chevy AND IT DOES HAVE THE BOSS WITH THE 2 CORRECT HOLES!
Well it's good to know that what I bought is really an AC bracket.

There is a listing on eBay for AC brackets for these inline 6 cylinders.

LINK HERE.

ANOTHER SELLER.
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Sun Nov 06 2016 12:40 AM
Eureka! I have a match!
1964 230ci block with correct boss for AC bracket

Picture of my bracket on a 250ci without the correct boss.
Posted By: Tim-o Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Thu Apr 27 2017 10:34 PM
Ok folks - I'm moving closer to the air install. Now I need a two groove water pump pulley for a 250 cu in '66 (no air or power steering). I believe the correct GM part number is 3854031 and there are a couple on Ebay. Does anyone have a way to verify that part number for me? Thanks - Tim-o
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Fri Apr 28 2017 02:13 AM
Originally Posted by Tim-o
Ok folks - I'm moving closer to the air install. Now I need a two groove water pump pulley for a 250 cu in '66 (no air or power steering). I believe the correct GM part number is 3854031 and there are a couple on Ebay. Does anyone have a way to verify that part number for me? Thanks - Tim-o

I have a couple inline engines and at least three double groove fan/water pump pulleys laying around. What diameter are you looking for?
Posted By: Tim-o Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Sun Apr 30 2017 01:32 PM
Sorry for my delay in answering. I was trying to figure out how I could... my truck is at the paint shop. The only thing I know (right now) is that the pulley is 4" deep. I will be delivering some parts to the shop this week. I'll check the diameter then. Thanks - Tim-o
Posted By: Tim-o Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Fri May 05 2017 11:53 AM
Visited my truck this week to drop off parts. The pulley is 7" in diameter and 4" deep. Does that sound logical?
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Fri May 05 2017 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by Tim-o
Visited my truck this week to drop off parts. The pulley is 7" in diameter and 4" deep. Does that sound logical?

I'm pretty sure I have an extra one of that size. Let me look after work today.
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Sun May 07 2017 01:29 PM
Here are Pics of the 2 fan pulleys I have available. The bigger one has a 7" diameter.

LINK to pics on my website.

Jay
Posted By: Tim-o Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Mon May 08 2017 07:36 PM
Thanks for looking! I believe the black one is the one I need. Does it happen to have the GM number stamped on it? How can I obtain it? Tim-o
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Mon May 08 2017 08:09 PM
I'll scrape off the paint and look.
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Wed May 10 2017 01:45 AM
The large pulley in the photo is marked GM 3790356. From the face of the pulley to the back edge is a little over two and three-quarter inches. It's not 4 inches deep like what you need. Sorry for the bad news.
Posted By: Tim-o Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Sun May 14 2017 08:59 PM
Lugnutz -

Thank you for looking. My truck is at the paint shop and will be for several weeks as it waits its turn. I'll keep looking for a pulley. There are a couple on Ebay that I have been watching (for a price reduction).... My Dad used to say "I'm not cheap - but I'm reasonable"!! I appreciate all of your responses and will keep up updated on my progress. Tim-o
Posted By: Tim-o Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Tue Oct 01 2019 07:22 PM
Just a brief update. It took me almost three years to get off my wallet and buy an aftermarket air system from Old Air for the '66 C10 250 6 cylinder. I had the system charged last week and the air blows a cool 43 degrees. I worked a couple of months on the install following the detailed instructions from Old Air and adding an electric fan to the install. I must admit, the project stretched my mechanical abilities (you have all read my posts) . I did have help - in that John Price from Old Air answered my MANY questions - no matter how trivial - by email and on the phone. All in all - it was a fun project and I got to know my truck much better. I guess what I'm saying - if I can accomplish the install - almost anyone can. Tim-o
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Tue Oct 01 2019 07:25 PM
Do you have a normal size distributor cap, or an HEI? I’m curious if the brackets work with an HEI dizzy.
Posted By: Tim-o Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Tue Oct 01 2019 11:51 PM
My truck has the stock distributor. I suggest you contact John Price and ask him. He’s a real nice guy... very helpful...
Posted By: Twinshadows Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Tue Dec 10 2019 12:35 AM
This reply is too "Lugnutz" ---

Jay , would you still be looking at / for the 250ci - 6 A/C brackets ?
The reason for me asking IS :
I drive a 69 Chevy Nova with a Factory 250ci engine (original matching motor) ; My Nova does have factory A/C still installed on the engine (complete & intact) - - - I'm replacing / up-grading my A/C hoses at this time.
This car came with the factory HD Cooling : using a V-8 3 row radiator , a V-8 7 blade clutch type fan blade , a 'thermo' type FAN CLUTCH , ----- and ----- has the factory 250 - 6 stock A/C "short water pump" .
The "Short A/C Water Pump" = = is the same as the standard Chevy water pump - - - but, HAS A Short Pump Shaft installed.
That A/C water pump --- will most likely not make any difference for your truck - - being , you may have more clearance towards your radiator . . . (the Nova needs the extra clearance , in front of the engine) .

What all this means is : I can take any pictures of any items you may need "reference too" . I'm using the stock 250 - dist. with the ' Pertronix ' up-grade.

later , jim
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Tue Dec 10 2019 02:11 AM
Jim,
Thanks for the offer but I don’t have any plans for AC right now. I’m up to my ears trying to get my son’s 68 road worthy. Guess which of the two of us is taking the time to work out the bugs, BECAUSE I WANT THAT HALF OF MY SHOP BACK!

So it’s taking all my time. I think it would be a great reference for the future, so please take pics for future reference.
Thanks for thinking of me!
Posted By: Twinshadows Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Thu Jan 02 2020 07:01 PM
Picture of a " 250 inline - 6 , with factory A/C . this is in my 69 Nova ; but will fit onto any 230 / 250 /292 inline 6 mounted in these trucks.
As they say - - - a good picture is ' golden ' .

(this is my 1st try at posting a picture) ,

Thanks . . . jim

Attached picture IMG_2194.jpg
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Thu Jan 02 2020 08:44 PM
The original photo posted will enlarge, just tap or mouse over. No need for off site photos.
Posted By: Twinshadows Re: 250 cu in Air Conditioning Brackets - Thu Jan 02 2020 09:06 PM
OK . . . I see it now . . . it does work .

Thank you , Martin - - - very much .

just getting use to this site ; I guess . . . jim
© The Stovebolt Forums